• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2008 ] SVO eBay Sales

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Jarta, there is no question that both Marriotts and Westins in Hawaii have had drastic reductions in value, but from what I have seen, these 'super fees' imposed on the Westins appear to be the driving force behind their very recent freefall.

I purchased my EOY IV at Waiohai about three and a half years ago for about $10.5K and have probably now lost about 35% of my value. These Westins appear to have lost nearly 50% or more in less than one year. Trust me, I have been watching for a bargain WKORV, but I am not sure I want one at any price with $2400 mf's.

Now that airfares are creeping back up again, I can't imagine that the prices for both will do anything but continue their downward trend.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
Dan

It's been several years since I stayed at Canyon Villas, but WKV is a much nicer property, imo. Also, MCV has 1br + studio while WKV has 1br + 1br configuration. I wouldn't necessarily say the quality and configuration difference justifies the fee difference, but it can't be ignored either.

I've never had a problem with fee differences betwen Marriott and Starwood. My problem is the annual percentage increases.

If Starwood was $800 and Marriott was $600 and a year later Starwood increases by $40 to $840 and Marriott by $30 to $630 that's a 5% increase for both (although Starwood's increase was $10 more because they started with a higher base). I can live with that.

It looks suspect when Starwood has 5%-10% (10%-15% in Hawaii) annual increases and Marriott operating expenses at resorts in the same areas increase by a much lesser percentage (in the case of Canyon Villas, their operating expenses actually decline).

Recall that 7% per years means fees double every 10 years (and at 10% a year they double every 7 years). Neither at 7% not at 10% can you even think about leaving these VOIs to your heirs. If the reality is increases consistently greater than inflation (average 2%-3% a year in the US) this is like a pyramid scheme where the last person who owns thetimeshare loses (except all the owners who owned in between lose out also because their equity losses + MFs would cost more than rentals).

Last edited:

Captron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVRx3 SBP Worldmark
How about the SBP 2BR that got NO BID at $1 the other night! (It is relisted the icon is a green $.)

Just to close this issue. The unit closed for the THIRD time tonight and got bid up to....... $5.50 with a handful of bids. OUCH!!! Although better than closing without ANY bids I guess. I hope the owner REALLY wanted out!

James1975NY

TUG Member
Reaction score

Stefa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Even tho it's not the most demanded week of the year, this is still a steal at WSJ - MF's are higher than what is listed tho, which is such a deterrent....

http://cgi.ebay.com/WESTIN-ST-JOHN-STARWOOD-POINTS-CARIBBEAN-TIMESHARE_W0QQitemZ350287274968QQcmdZViewItemQQptZTimeshares?hash=item518ebfa3d8

The sad part is the owner didn't even get the full sale price, since they would have had to pay redweeks4less to list the week. I hope they didn't pay someone $$$$ to take the timeshare off their hands.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
This lists MFs of $2500 for a 1BR. That's over $350/night. Is that right?

My records show it's $2293, plus SVN fee ... plus taxes whenever they're settled so $2500 was a good quote. But, it includes the 3-year special assessment (2009, 2010, 2011).

Yes -- it's high, but compared to rentals at the resort, it's a bargain. To rent this same room from Westin:

Average est. room total per night** Estimated total for your stay**
1 room(s) for 7 night(s)
Room rate: USD 1,350.00 USD 9,450.00
Room rate excludes the following:
Room Tax: USD 108.00 USD 756.00
8.00 % Per Room / Per Night
Resort Charge: USD 40.00 USD 280.00
USD 40.00 Per Room / Per Night
Estimated total*: USD 1,498.00 USD 10,486.00

They run specials from time to time, but it's a high rental, no matter what the discount.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I am also very glad that he got this price since it is well over what these villa-types have been selling for (and what we paid)

The ad may have been well-written, but when the auction winner finds out that the MFs are $2800, and taxes have not been paid since 2006 - they will have reason to back out.

With the real check-in date of Fri (I actually like Fri check-in better since STT is a zoo on Sat) and not Sat - unlikely that the auction winner will find out that it is very difficult to move within season (e.g. move to a Sat check-in) until it is too late (unless they find TUG). also - no mention of whether 2010 was reserved - and what the dates are (?)

so from this aspect (giving the winner a reason to back out because of bad info) - the ad which made the resort and island sound inticing - has many holes which may negate the sale. I would opt for and inticing ad that had correct and transparent info (for the most part)

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
WOW! It is indeed nice to see any timeshare sale for over $20K on eBay. It has been a while since I have seen that.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I was thinking that the M/F was lower than it should be. Someone asked about this and he had a convoluted explanation...Anyway, I said it's well-written, just didn't mention that it's also somewhat misleading :)