• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Major Change to Wyndham VIP Program in Email 7/19/2021 [MERGED]

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
What the resale value now of resale points? Once they get more inventory then they can sell it will cost money to get rid of Wyndham contracts.

I am glad I no longer a owner even more now. Too bad for all the people who purchased retail to get VIP for their resale points.

But this is what some of you wanted. Wyndham is not doing it for your benefits.

snickers104

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview RCI Points, Wyndham CWA
Looks like a good time for me to buy a resale contract...I've been looking for a midsized CWA for awhile...

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was. By sales , customer service and owner care,
It was never in writing. It also was in owners directory that only developer points could be used with VIP benefits.

Last edited:

Manzana

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
National Harbor
CWA
Another thing to consider is how will transaction fees be considered when making these. It is basically having 2 separate accounts which I almost think would be a better Idea and less confusing unless we were able to combine like Hitchikersaid through a 1 time purchase match

9969hi

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It is going to be bookkeeping headache for Wyndham to try an figure whether a reservation being made purchased points, pic points or non wyndham purchased points is happening in each reservation, they are going to start asking a lot of questions everytime you make a reservation, are you going to stay at this resort and use purchased points or non wyndham points or pic points. This is going to cause a lot of necessity to hire more VCS and the ones we have already often give bad information, not a good situation , I only non Wyndham points on the places I want to go to.

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
It will also be interesting to see how they juggle the VIP and non-VIP points that have been used already. I suspect that's why they're giving complimentary points in the next use year.
I still don't understand what Wyndham means by, 'complimentary points'?

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Thankfully this doesn't affect me much. But I am glad that I did not pick up a lot of resale points to get VIP status perks on them. Big loss of perks for those who did take that approach.

But we have been talking about Wyndham doing this for time time. So I am not surprised, I am only surprised it took this long for them to figure out how to implement it. I figured when they went to the account level totals they could implement the rules easier. I assume they will keep doing it an account level, and bucket maximums, instead of reverting back to the stupid model that you have to use the 'Right' points to make a reservation. HGVC is still this way and it drives me crazy having to shuffle points around all the time.

kanerf

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, I have already made a bunch of reservations for next year. I wonder what will happen to those?

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another VIP Loophole closed. This should really help availability for owners to book for personal use!

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, I have already made a bunch of reservations for next year. I wonder what will happen to those?
Same here. I have Christmas thru New Year and Bike Week.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
It is going to be bookkeeping headache for Wyndham to try an figure whether a reservation being made purchased points, pic points or non wyndham purchased points is happening in each reservation, they are going to start asking a lot of questions everytime you make a reservation, are you going to stay at this resort and use purchased points or non wyndham points or pic points. This is going to cause a lot of necessity to hire more VCS and the ones we have already often give bad information, not a good situation , I only non Wyndham points on the places I want to go to.

I don't think so, if they set up the system the way as a Data Modeler (yes my day job) I think they should have to. The user generates reservations and each reservations will have certain types of properties (ARP, Discounts, Upgrades) that can be flagged, and then they can check the totals points of those reservations during the booking process to check that you do not exceed the total of points that apply to VIP. It has some backend calculations to do, but only a bit more buckets than they had before. They already know which buck if the current year and which ones are saves points from previous years. So it they built the data base right, it would not be difficult. Now of course this is Wyndham's IT department, but they have the bucket of points system working fine, as far as I can tell.

Funny thing however, I have yet to get the email.

Last edited:

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Believe me their IT never screws up maintenance fees I'm sure they can handle the buckets points are used from. Resale points included.
Were they were booked using discounts and free uprades?

Last edited:

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
I'm going to take this opportunity to do something I try very hard not do even when it's completely justified; which is to say I TOLD YOU SO!

I've been saying Wyndham could do this since the Freeze of August 2016 and every one told me it wasn't possible for them to do it. Even though many of us know that the sales people and even the VC's can easily tell what's developer in our accounts and what isn't. I've also been saying it, and again more than once, since the owners meeting in Austin, TX in November 2019. At that meeting VP Annie Roberts was asked if Wyndham intended to take away the VIP benefits on resale points when Privileges came out. She replied that it had been discussed but wasn't going to happen at this time. I said that if Wyndham had discussed it then we should count on it happening at some point down the road. I didn't expected it to happen for another year or two but obviously the timeline got moved up.

I also said that with the demise of the then mega renters and point managers after the Freeze of August 2016 and Voyager in May 2017 that new ones would emerge to take their places. And that we would see a huge influx of amateur renting. That Wyndham wouldn't be happy about the rookie renters too cheap prices undercutting Extra Holidays. All it takes is a look at the posts in the Facebook group Club Wyndham Timeshare - Owners helping owners - Rentals welcome! to see how pervasive the renting has become and be convinced this was only a matter of time.

The other thing I've said that was ignored/not believed is that the VIP benefits, discounts and upgrades, on resale points costs Wyndham more than people realize and probably more than Wyndham realizes. Remember the discussions about silos. Under the current leadership I think Wyndham is finally starting to realize just how much this actually costs them. If they don't they'll soon see the proof in the numbers.

Last edited:

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
I wonder if there will be lower MF resale contracts going into CWA as a result.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
Thankfully this doesn't affect me much. But I am glad that I did not pick up a lot of resale points to get VIP status perks on them. Big loss of perks for those who did take that approach.

But we have been talking about Wyndham doing this for time time. So I am not surprised, I am only surprised it took this long for them to figure out how to implement it. I figured when they went to the account level totals they could implement the rules easier. I assume they will keep doing it an account level, and bucket maximums, instead of reverting back to the stupid model that you have to use the 'Right' points to make a reservation. HGVC is still this way and it drives me crazy having to shuffle points around all the time.

If you watch the video - essentially you will have the ability - somehow - to choose the points bucket to use for the reservation - though the video didn’t actually demonstrate this capability on the website - it merely showed the points being used for the reservation. I suspect this is because they don’t have the functionality ready for prime time yet and therefore don’t want to include it in any video collateral. But one thing is clear from the video - they are moving further toward points buckets. Keep in mind the CEO came from HGVC yes? So choosing the “right” points to make a reservation may be exactly where this is going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)

I suspect that’s where the complimentary points reference will come to bear. In mid-August when the system is changed and accounts are rebalanced - the system may have to charge back points discounts made within the current use year that used resale points when this all becomes effective - so my best guess is that some kind of complimentary points will be granted to keep the owner whole - a one time points grant for the current use year to avoid points deficits in current use year accounts. Reservations made in future use years that have already exceeded the retail points allotment? Doubtful any complimentary points adjustments will be made for those…

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyndham has not shown they can actually do it. Just able to announce it and hope it works with as few bugs as possible. I do not have faith in their it abilities. This is a way to male owners use up more points to clear the covid backlog.

Has anyone tried to merge accounts lately? Or move contracts from account to another? Any extra guest confirmations show up or duplicate reservations? Pm me if you do not want to post it.

VacayKat

Reaction score
If you watch the video - essentially you will have the ability - somehow - to choose the points bucket to use for the reservation - though the video didn’t actually demonstrate this capability on the website - it merely showed the points being used for the reservation. I suspect this is because they don’t have the functionality ready for prime time yet and therefore don’t want to include it in any video collateral. But one thing is clear from the video - they are moving further toward points buckets. Keep in mind the CEO came from HGVC yes? So choosing the “right” points to make a reservation may be exactly where this is going.

But when you are on the phone with them to book it will be a nightmare Unless they figure out how to give excel like viewing of the buckets.

edited to add: Did you notice when you search you have to pick your point type? Does that mean there are two different reservation buckets where resale don’t have the same access? Only time will tell.

Last edited:

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
If they were booked using discounts and free uprades Cancel them for developer owners to book vs the resale points using VIP benefits loophole that was going on unchecked for years.
Too far out for discounts and upgrades. These are at full points.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
The other problem will be dead points. You don't have either enough VIP or Non-VIP to make the reservation and not enough of either to make any reservation, so these points are effectively dead.
It says in the description that you can use VIP points to combine with non-VIP to fill a reservation, and no VIP benefits will apply. There will be no more points breakage than there was before.