• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How are TX Tuggers making out?

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
If wishes were horses, beggars would ride...
And if - if’s and an’s were pots and pans, the tinker would never work!
-- English Nursery Rhyme
So true. Texas was “if’d and maybe’d” by “green” energy.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
I don't think so, Tim:

“Power companies get exactly what they want”: How Texas repeatedly failed to protect its power grid against extreme weather
Texas regulators and lawmakers knew about the grid’s vulnerabilities for years, but time and again they furthered the interests of large electricity providers.

The chart below says it all: all fuel sources dropped dramatically except natural gas, which jumped by 78%.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am having trouble matching this graph against other news sources. For example, here is an article from the Austin American Statesman.

Among other things, it states

As of Wednesday, 46,000 megawatts of generation were offline, with 185 generating plants tripped. ERCOT officials said 28,000 megawatts came from coal, gas and nuclear plants, and 18,000 megawatts were from solar and wind. (highlighting added)​

According to your graph, the amount of energy from gas, coal, and nuclear combined increased during the crisis, as opposed to having dropped by 28,000 megawatts.

Also from the article

The issue became critical when several of the grid’s energy generation units began to go offline in rapid progression, affecting more than half of the grid's winter generating capacity, according to ERCOT Senior Director of System Operations Dan Woodfin. These failing sources largely included nuclear plants, coal plants and thermal energy generators. Frozen wind turbines were a factor, too, but Woodfin said wind shutdowns accounted for less than 13% of the outages.​

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Windmills work fine in an Ontario Canada winter.

HOWEVER - this can also cost you money. Windmills make power , even when your public utility does not need it.
There are times when Ontario pays the windmill farms AND also PAYS $$$ Michigan to take the excess power.

[Ontario electric power is about 61 % Nuclear , and you cannot turn that off easily]
About 10+years ago those in charge heavily promoted growth in wind & solar so we could (and did) close all remaining coal fuelled power plants.
It works fine and costs everyone more - especially when we have to pay to give it away.
[ sort of like getting rid of a time share you don’t need ]

Regardless of the worldwide location - there is always plenty of hot air coming from leaders who promote solutions that they don’t fully understand. / as we say on TUG - if their lips are moving ..........
Thanks very much Canada for giving us your unneeded excess wind power. Al from Michigan. :D

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
Hmmmm
Like I said:
They are getting out while the getting is acceptable.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I read that everyone is rethinking electric cars because of the recent power failures. It would be a bummer to need to use a car but not be able to juice it up for weeks. People with gas cars could stay warm in their cars or drive away to somewhere better.

Bill

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Still missing the point. Not surprised. Which oil company do you work for?
I’m retired. Just live in the real world.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am having trouble matching this graph against other news sources. For example, here is an article from the Austin American Statesman.

Among other things, it states

As of Wednesday, 46,000 megawatts of generation were offline, with 185 generating plants tripped. ERCOT officials said 28,000 megawatts came from coal, gas and nuclear plants, and 18,000 megawatts were from solar and wind. (highlighting added)​

According to your graph, the amount of energy from gas, coal, and nuclear combined increased during the crisis, as opposed to having dropped by 28,000 megawatts.

Also from the article

The issue became critical when several of the grid’s energy generation units began to go offline in rapid progression, affecting more than half of the grid's winter generating capacity, according to ERCOT Senior Director of System Operations Dan Woodfin. These failing sources largely included nuclear plants, coal plants and thermal energy generators. Frozen wind turbines were a factor, too, but Woodfin said wind shutdowns accounted for less than 13% of the outages.​
The graph says it all.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I read that everyone is rethinking electric cars because of the recent power failures. It would be a bummer to need to use a car but not be able to juice it up for weeks. People with gas cars could stay warm in their cars or drive away to somewhere better.

Bill

Tesla's "camp mode" kept owners warm when their power went out in Texas. Of course, if power is out for extended periods would they be impacted.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I’m retired. Just live in the real world.

Hmm... well, I like facts. The facts are that wind power works. Texas invested significantly in wind power, so that ~17% of all power generation in the state is from that renewable resource. Your complaints are way off the mark, and not in the "real world", since you say wind power just doesn't work when it obviously does.

I like how you omitted the part where you admit... "I'm retired [but I had a successful career in the oil industry.]" :)

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Hmm... well, I like facts. The facts are that wind power works. Texas invested significantly in wind power, so that ~17% of all power generation in the state is from that renewable resource. Your complaints are way off the mark, and not in the "real world", since you say wind power just doesn't work when it obviously does.

I like how you omitted the part where you admit... "I'm retired [but I had a successful career in the oil industry.]" :)

Wind power works only if there is the right amount of wind. It should work great if the power grid went down but obviously there are some problems because it didn't work. It's too bad reactors get such a bad reputation in the USA.

Bill

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
The graph says it all.
Your graphs show a sizeable increase in total electricity during the crisis. We know that is not true.

from ercot

1614128607832.png

While Webber said all of Texas’ energy sources share blame for the power crisis, the natural gas industry is most notably producing significantly less power than normal.

“Gas is failing in the most spectacular fashion right now,” Webber said.

Dan Woodfin, a senior director at ERCOT, echoed that sentiment Tuesday.

“It appears that a lot of the generation that has gone offline today has been primarily due to issues on the natural gas system,” he said during a Tuesday call with reporters.

Reactions: DrQ

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Getting back to the title of this thread about how are TX TUGgers are making out -

DS and DIL live in Houston. I'm pretty sure they are making out as they always have. My only issue is that I wish that their making out would result in at least one grandchild for us to dote on.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Getting back to the title of this thread about how are TX TUGgers are making out -

DS and DIL live in Houston. I'm pretty sure they are making out as they always have. My only issue is that I wish that their making out would result in at least one grandchild for us to dote on.

I have cousins in Houston and they are doing fine, though they also lost power, of course.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Wind power works only if there is the right amount of wind. It should work great if the power grid went down but obviously there are some problems because it didn't work. It's too bad reactors get such a bad reputation in the USA.

Bill

See my earlier post with details on the Texas wind power systems and requirements.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I am not against wind or solar power. You seem to enjoy putting words in people’s mouths. Look at the graph. It shows energy sourced from windmills dropping 61% (that means windmills still were producing some energy). It also shows that windmills are a very poor source of energy during an Arctic event that Texas just experienced. That’s an undeniable fact. The chart also shows natural gas ramped up (in one day) 78%. Another fact. Without natural gas there would have been thousands of deaths. Oh, by the way, I did not retire from an oil company.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Your graphs show a sizeable increase in total electricity during the crisis. We know that is not true.

from ercot

View attachment 32689

While Webber said all of Texas’ energy sources share blame for the power crisis, the natural gas industry is most notably producing significantly less power than normal.

“It appears that a lot of the generation that has gone offline today has been primarily due to issues on the natural gas system,” he said during a Tuesday call with reporters.
I repeat, the graph says it all.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

from ercot

View attachment 32689

1614130804062.png

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
I repeat, the graph says it all.
I repeat your graph cannot be true. Thanks for answering the question how your graph shows an increase in power generation when we know that is not true.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I am not against wind or solar power. You seem to enjoy putting words in people’s mouths.

No, just trying to put things in perspective. Thanks for taking it in good humor.

Look at the graph. It shows energy sourced from windmills dropping 61% (that means windmills still were producing some energy). It also shows that windmills are a very poor source of energy during an Arctic event that Texas just experienced. That’s an undeniable fact. The chart also shows natural gas ramped up (in one day) 78%. Another fact. Without natural gas there would have been thousands of deaths. Oh, by the way, I did not retire from an oil company.

Perhaps you missed the part where Texas didn’t winterize the windmills.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your graph shows a pretty darn big drop in supply there. You do understand that there is peak production which I assume is mainly for AC in the summer. Your average demand is a pretty meaningless number in relation to the amount of production a power company has total. Of course that peak production for high demand days can not be windpower.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No, just trying to put things in perspective. Thanks for taking it in good humor.

Perhaps you missed the part where Texas didn’t winterize the windmills.

Didn’t miss that. Didn’t miss the fact that natural gas plants ramped up in spite of being subjected to rolling blackouts. Mismanagement across the board.