• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How are TX Tuggers making out?

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I just got power back after a rotating blackout that lasted 21 hours. Power was off from late afternoon yesterday to early afternoon today. So much for rotating.

I live in the Houston area. Outside temperature low was 12F (-11C) overnight last night. House got down to 52F (11C). Power finally came back on and I am heating up the house expecting the power to be shut off again.

So much for green power, it is a large portion of wind generators that are frozen and are contributing to a large portion of the power shortfall in the TX grid, that is forcing rotating power outages. Other equipment is failing in the extreme cold and that is also contributing to the power shortage as well.

Stay warm Texas Tuggers. TX is just not equiped to handle this extreme cold.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
At my CCRC we have power for about 7 hours daily. Basically I'm fine. Food service is adequate under the circumstances...

The reason we have problems in Texas is that 1/4 of our electricity comes from windmills which are frozen and thus not producing electricity. Clearly my support for the Green Economy is now approaching zero...

George

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
In the Houston area alone currently 1.3 Million households with NO power according to centerpoint the company that manages most distribution in this area.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
I don’t have a dog in this fight so please don’t shoot the messenger. After reading the initial post, I knew I had seen an article this morning that disputed frozen windmills were the main cause of the power outages in Texas. Although, it is true that many were frozen, it also appears there were freeze problems affecting most electricity producers in the state, regardless of type. According to this article, the windmill issue is only responsible for 13% of the total outages.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
To all the Texans and others who may be experiencing severe cold weather; Don't forget to leave all your faucets running to help prevent frozen pipes should you lose your heat source.

Frozen pipes are not what you want to deal with if you can possibly avoid it.....

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Good advice on leaving faucets running a little. The nation and the world's thoughts are with Texas now.

Jim

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don’t have a dog in this fight so please don’t shoot the messenger. After reading the initial post, I knew I had seen an article this morning that disputed frozen windmills were the main cause of the power outages in Texas. Although, it is true that many were frozen, it also appears there were freeze problems affecting most electricity producers in the state, regardless of type. According to this article, the windmill issue is only responsible for 13% of the total outages.
This seems to be contradicted by other articles. Yes, some gas plants were not running properly but only due to blackouts so the gas generators are not the root cause of the problem.

First, some power plants may not have been operational due to routine maintenance, Cohan said. Peak demand typically occurs in the summer, so it's not unexpected for a coal or natural gas plant to be offline in an effort to tune up for the warmer months.
Second, some power plants may have failed to operate in the cold, Cohan said. "Plants are optimized to run under our typical and our extreme summer conditions but they aren't as well prepared and engineered for extreme cold," he said.

According to Rai, if plants operate for too long in too extreme of conditions, it could be too costly to operate as well as cause damage to the equipment, which could further exacerbate the outages for longer periods of time.

Third, some natural gas plants may not have been able to get adequate supply of gas to be converted into electricity, Cohan said. Unlike a coal plant that has an ready stockpile, natural gas plants don't store as much on site, meaning any disruption at the supply source will lead to a disruption in turning on the lights.

Carey King, an assistant director and research scientist at the Energy Institute at the University of Texas at Austin, said it's possible that power outages at natural gas production sites lead to failures in the electric compressors that move the gas.

Last edited:

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
That article is bull shit. Articles like the one you site are written by people with an agenda. Live down here and you won't be so damn cavalier. And by the way solar won't bail us out. There has been hardly any sunlight either...

Try going 24 hours dressed like an eskimo in my apartmentwith no heat, no lights, eating cold food, no TV, no Internet, etc. All at practically zero temperature. Monday we got heat for 7 hours most of it while sleeping. Today is a little better as a good bit of our 7 hours with electricity has been during waking hours. Some hospitals are closed because of freezing pipes. For the same reason many residences don't have running water. People are dying from carbon monoxide because they were sleeping in their cars to keep warm. Other had to go to "Warming Centers" to live...

Before we get totally dependent on wind and solar someone needs to figure this out...

George

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
That article is bull shit. Articles like the one you site are written by people with an agenda. Live down here and you won't be so damn cavalier. And by the way solar won't bail us out. There has been hardly any sunlight either...

Try going 24 hours dressed like an eskimo in my apartmentwith no heat, no lights, eating cold food, no TV, no Internet, etc. All at practically zero temperature. Monday we got heat for 7 hours most of it while sleeping. Today is a little better as a good bit of our 7 hours with electricity has been during waking hours. Some hospitals are closed because of freezing pipes. For the same reason many residences don't have running water. People are dying from carbon monoxide because they were sleeping in their cars to keep warm. Other had to go to "Warming Centers" to live...

Before we get totally dependent on wind and solar someone needs to figure this out...

George

Appears the messenger was shot.

A lot of agenda out there,' Even from the operators themselves. From the article

ERCOT acknowledges that frozen wind turbines have played a role, but that frozen instruments at natural gas, coal and nuclear facilities and a limited supply of natural gas are the main factors.

And in case you just read the headline

Don’t point too many fingers at Texas wind turbines, because they’re not the main reason broad swaths of the state have been plunged into darkness.

While ice has forced some turbines to shut down just as a brutal cold wave drives record electricity demand, wind only comprises 25% of the state’s energy mix this time of year. The majority of outages overnight were plants fueled by natural gas, coal and nuclear, which together make up more than two-thirds of power generation during winter.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
did you read the article?

These specific turbines have been specifically engineered to endure the cold (temperatures can drop to as low as -76 Fahrenheit), and they tried to avoid using as many moving parts as possible; hence, these turbines do not have gearboxes.

Depending on how well these turbines perform, Scott Base and McMurdo Station that this wind farm very well could be the start of many.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
When you look at energy generation pragmatically - the type of generation has little to do with the current climate in your respective area. There are wind farms in some of the coldest parts of the world that run constantly throughout the year. There are coal and natural gas plants that run just fine year round (exception for routine maintenance), in the northern most parts of the US and Canada. There are northern plains states that produce more renewable energy than Texas for example. When we look at the reported issues objectively - we will come to realize that the power companies in Texas don’t have equipment hardened to endure colder climates - in fact Texas has chosen to implement equipment meant to work in high heat conditions - since that is often the bigger challenge for the state of Texas. The polar vortex that Texas is currently experiencing is something the northern states endure every day without any power generation issues. But that’s not the whole story, there’s a critical piece missing.

Texas is also the only state in the union that isn’t connected to the federal power grids like most other states. There’s literally the western grid, the eastern grid, and the Texas grid. Typically when something like this happens in other parts of the country - the local power utilities can buy peak power from other utility companies in adjacent states and use the grid to transfer power to meet critical demand. Because of the choices that Texans have made to remain independent from the federal power grids - this is what happens when the local utility providers experience infrastructure failures and have no ability to buy power from others connected to the federal power grids. Perhaps Texas will reconsider the energy grid choices made historically in this regard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade

George
I live in Alabama so I‘m not sure how much farther “down here” I need to go. I’m very sorry about your situation but I was just trying to point out that the windmills might not be the only issue. Hitchhiker provided some more detailed information so I won’t repeat it. You made clear you disagreed with the article but you didn’t provide any facts that disputed the article. If you believe the numbers stated in the article are wrong, please provide some that support your position. Otherwise, you’re just stating your opinion. Which is fine, it just doesn’t mean the article is, indeed, inaccurate.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
From the horses mouth...

Officials for the Electric Reliability Council of Texas, or ERCOT, which manages most of Texas’ grid, said that the primary cause of the outages on Tuesday appeared to be the state’s natural gas providers. Many are not designed to withstand such low temperatures on equipment or during production. By some estimates, nearly half of the state’s natural gas production has screeched to a halt due to the extremely low temperatures, while freezing components at natural gas-fired power plants have forced some operators to shut down.

An official with ERCOT said Tuesday afternoon that 16 gigawatts of renewable energy generation, mostly wind generation, was offline. Nearly double that, 30 gigawatts, had been lost from thermal sources, which includes gas, coal and nuclear energy. ERCOT president Bill Magness said some wind turbine generators were iced, but nearly twice as much power was wiped out at natural gas and coal plants.

-- Source: Texas Tribune & ABC News

Last edited:

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Many wind turbines are programmed to shut off during high winds or very cold weather to avoid mechanical failure.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
When all the dust settles, I think it will be shown that the Texas deregulated electric power grid is the culprit. Wind turbines work in Canada, Scandinavia, even Antarctica. With proper preparation and maintenance, they'll work in Texas too.

Jim

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Since I am the OP, I'm not pointing fingers but want solutions.

I have at least 4 friend with burst water pipes, causing a whole house worth of damage. And those are the ones who I have been texting in the last 48 hours. Could be a much larger number. Someone in my 75 house 5 street gated community has had a pipe burst too. I guess I got a slightly more insulated or better built house than others. Thankfully, but this would never happen up north, as houses are built to prevent this. Only downed lines would cause an outage not a shortage of KW hours.

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
When you look at energy generation pragmatically - the type of generation has little to do with the current climate in your respective area. There are wind farms in some of the coldest parts of the world that run constantly throughout the year. There are coal and natural gas plants that run just fine year round (exception for routine maintenance), in the northern most parts of the US and Canada. There are northern plains states that produce more renewable energy than Texas for example. When we look at the reported issues objectively - we will come to realize that the power companies in Texas don’t have equipment hardened to endure colder climates - in fact Texas has chosen to implement equipment meant to work in high heat conditions - since that is often the bigger challenge for the state of Texas. The polar vortex that Texas is currently experiencing is something the northern states endure every day without any power generation issues. But that’s not the whole story, there’s a critical piece missing.

Texas is also the only state in the union that isn’t connected to the federal power grids like most other states. There’s literally the western grid, the eastern grid, and the Texas grid. Typically when something like this happens in other parts of the country - the local power utilities can buy peak power from other utility companies in adjacent states and use the grid to transfer power to meet critical demand. Because of the choices that Texans have made to remain independent from the federal power grids - this is what happens when the local utility providers experience infrastructure failures and have no ability to buy power from others connected to the federal power grids. Perhaps Texas will reconsider the energy grid choices made historically in this regard.

Or perhaps not, Look at the range and scope of the 1964 and the 1989 east coast and midwest blackouts. This has been relatively kept under control, with no total total shutdown like those instances.

This cold burst is the coldest in at least 70 years (colder than 1983) but not as bad as the "great grandaddy of them all", the 1899 winter, when Galveston Bay froze over.

The Texas system is not hardened enough for a once in 100 year cold spell, granted. OTOH, it is hard to keep up with infrastructure with continual population growth (Which Texas has been getting for the last 2 decades).

Of course, I remember Chicago a couple of decades ago, and the great heat wave that killed over 1,000 people. Chicago wasn't hardened or an extreme heat wave either. (I also remember that big heat wave on the east coast, and the rolling blackouts it triggered.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)

With the extent of the cold wave, I don't think that we could have begged borrowed or stole power for the national grid.

ERCOT got caught with its pants down in starting up gas powered electrical generation plant in single digit conditions. 20 20 hindsight, but they should have been spinning up the plants before it got really cold. Texas is used to bringing additional power online in 100+ weather, 5 degrees, not so much.

One thing I read is that the wind power is usually reduced during the winter, so the numbers being quoted for the loss of power may be optimistic.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Of course, I remember Chicago a couple of decades ago, and the great heat wave that killed over 1,000 people. Chicago wasn't hardened or an extreme heat wave either. (I also remember that big heat wave on the east coast, and the rolling blackouts it triggered.
We lived though the winter of '79. If I remember correctly ... 90 consecutive days below freezing and 30 consecutive days below zero.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
With the extent of the cold wave, I don't think that we could have begged borrowed or stole power for the national grid.

ERCOT got caught with its pants down in starting up gas powered electrical generation plant in single digit conditions. 20 20 hindsight, but they should have been spinning up the plants before it got really cold. Texas is used to bringing additional power online in 100+ weather, 5 degrees, not so much.

One thing I read is that the wind power is usually reduced during the winter, so the numbers being quoted for the loss of power may be optimistic.

It’s hard to say - the power grids in both the east and west aren’t running at peak power during the winter months so there is peak power capability in both grids that could be spun up to help. Even a partial restoration of power via grid transfer right now for those affected would make a huge difference. A three stranded cord is stronger than a single stranded cord type thing.

I totally agree that the focus in Texas has been on hardening for heat as opposed to cold. I just hope this is a once in 100 years cold snap and not a harbinger of things to come as it relates to climate change.