• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How are TX Tuggers making out?

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Since I am the OP, I'm not pointing fingers but want solutions.

I have at least 4 friend with burst water pipes, causing a whole house worth of damage. And those are the ones who I have been texting in the last 48 hours. Could be a much larger number. Someone in my 75 house 5 street gated community has had a pipe burst too. I guess I got a slightly more insulated or better built house than others. Thankfully, but this would never happen up north, as houses are built to prevent this. Only downed lines would cause an outage not a shortage of KW hours.
Building codes are developed for the area they serve. If freezing temps are expected, pipes aren't put in outside walls. Thicker walls, more insulation are required. In colder climates you won't find laundry or water softeners in the garage. And, of course, in places that are susceptible to a sudden freeze, people are taught- or learn quickly- that moving water doesn't freeze, so keep faucets trickling. Pro trick here- if you have sinks against outside walls, OPEN THE DOORS UNDER THEM!

Water damage is difficult and expensive to repair.

Jim

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
We lived though the winter of '79. If I remember correctly ... 90 consecutive days below freezing and 30 consecutive days below zero.

In DFW? Not likely! Where? (I've live in Texas since 1957.)

And could that place handle 90 straight days above 100? (That was only a few years ago in DFW.)

• Haha
Reactions: DrQ

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)

I have at least 4 friend with burst water pipes, causing a whole house worth of damage. And those are the ones who I have been texting in the last 48 hours. Could be a much larger number. Someone in my 75 house 5 street gated community has had a pipe burst too. I guess I got a slightly more insulated or better built house than others. Thankfully, but this would never happen up north, as houses are built to prevent this. Only downed lines would cause an outage not a shortage of KW hours.
We are fortunate as to how our house is designed. With the exception of the laundry room, all faucets run through INTERIOR walls. We added a sun-room/4 season porch which made the laundry room exterior wall an interior wall.

Up north, we usually don't run water pipes along exterior walls or attics. If it is done, you use lots of insulation and also probably have a basement.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
But the question is cost/reward. We don't build for the 100 year storm. Do we take that money and invest in capacity to use in 100+ weather?

This is why I mentioned the grid connection issue. I’m not sure it makes sense for Texas to harden the electric grid for freezing temps - for such rare occasions it would seem worthwhile to supplement from the East/West grid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
In DFW? Not likely! Where? (I've live in Texas since 1957.)

And could that place handle 90 straight days above 100? (That was only a few years ago in DFW.)
DeKalb IL '79 :ROFLMAO:

You were talking 'bout Chi-town

That the region of the 90-90's 90 degrees with 90% relative humidity. I'll take Texas over that (Sorry Sandy, Houston, no so much.;))

Last edited:

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think, in the era of climate change, we need to expect “100 year events” every decade or so. That’s certainly been the case so far in terms of “100 year floods” and “100 years hurricanes.”

And maybe Texas could have learned more from the Enron scandal than it did

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
This current issue will be debated in the rearview mirror for years......

Why not take the unemployed and homeless folks and place them to work burying electrical lines all over the country so that cold, ice, snow, fires, tornadoes, hurricanes, uprooted trees, speeding vehicles, etc. are no longer issues that interrupt our great dependance on electricity ?

This would be a massive public works project and would solve a lot of issues in society.

Wishful thinking at best ;)

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
To all the Texans and others who may be experiencing severe cold weather; Don't forget to leave all your faucets running to help prevent frozen pipes should you lose your heat source.

Frozen pipes are not what you want to deal with if you can possibly avoid it.....

I'm originally from Minnesota and when the temps would dip below -20 F, we would leave the water trickle. We were told that it doesn't need to be a lot of water to keep the pipes from freezing.

But in Mn., most builders avoided putting water pipes in outside walls or if they had to, they hugged the inside walls rather than put them in the center. Likewise, builders didn't put pipes in attics. Also, things like outdoor hose bibs, above ground irrigation pipes and above ground water meters, fire suppression supply valves, are also at risk.

But now I live in Southern California which has a warm climate like much of Texas and the builders put pipes in attics, outside walls, etc.

Janann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs
My house has been extremely fortunate to have electricity 24/7. We had a frozen pipe in the bathroom, but my husband was able to defrost it with a space heater. My only theory on why our neighborhood was spared from a blackout is that we are about a quarter-mile from a stand-alone emergency room, and right next to that is a CVS. Maybe the power is being kept on for those two businesses? Who knows.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thoughts and prayers to those affected.

We've had about a week of -20F here, and the power hasn't been an issue, including both wind and natural gas generation.

I'd suspect on the gas side the issue might actually be gas supply. Natural gas wells freeze off on a somewhat regular basis here, because it's cold and pressure drop (which is how gas wells flow) is very endothermic. Natural gas producers in Canada keep methanol on hand to pump into frozen wells to thaw them. I somehow doubt similar precautions are in place in Texas.

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
We live just above San Antonio and things for us personally haven’t been too bad. It’s been very cold for this area - about 5 degrees overnight last night. Snow and ice. We’ve been living in an apartment since we sold our house last September and I can tell you more than once we’ve talked about the lack of planning by Texas in general for this kind of thing. They’ve just failed in preparing their state for such cold weather. I know they thought it would never happen but seriously, we only know the history of weather from the time it’s been recorded. So no one really knows what might or might not happen.

We’ve had power outages off and on all day today. Never for more than an hour thankfully. But we’ve been without water since yesterday afternoon because a water pipe from the upstairs apartment burst so they shut the water off. They’ve now shut water off to the entire complex.

Unfortunately the burst pipe caused our bedroom to flood. Thankfully they shut the water off fairly quickly and we had access to our steam cleaner that we have been using to pull the water from the carpet in there. We didn’t go to a hotel last night because we’d had no power outages at that point. But we’ll be heading to one tomorrow. Hotels here have back up generators and things seem to be functioning fairly well. It’s going to be days or weeks before they get things squared away in this complex.

But honestly, I feel very blessed because I know it could be so much worse for us. I read some others hardships here and it breaks my heart. Please everyone, stay safe and know my prayers are with you. ❤️❤️

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know it it matters or not but a large number of our windmills are at really high elevations. If you are driving West on the highway South of Lubbock, you see hundreds if not thousands of windmills at the very top of the mountains in front of you...

George

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
That article is bull shit. Articles like the one you site are written by people with an agenda. Live down here and you won't be so damn cavalier. And by the way solar won't bail us out. There has been hardly any sunlight either...

Try going 24 hours dressed like an eskimo in my apartmentwith no heat, no lights, eating cold food, no TV, no Internet, etc. All at practically zero temperature. Monday we got heat for 7 hours most of it while sleeping. Today is a little better as a good bit of our 7 hours with electricity has been during waking hours. Some hospitals are closed because of freezing pipes. For the same reason many residences don't have running water. People are dying from carbon monoxide because they were sleeping in their cars to keep warm. Other had to go to "Warming Centers" to live...

Before we get totally dependent on wind and solar someone needs to figure this out...

George

I don’t get how in the day and age of information and all the carbon monoxide deaths that have been reported on for the past few decades that this is still a cause of death

If in a car. Run it outside. Keep exhaust free from being covered by snow or ? And crack a window
This has been the rule since I was a kid and it hasn’t changed

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC

Even homes in the north will end up with broken pipes if the heat goes out
Much of the difference there is that heat is usually gas or some other type rather than electric

As mentioned, If you have the ability to turn all faucets on. Even a trickle will help

If you can’t run water. Open all faucets and let the pipes drain if you can

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
It looks like El Paso learned it’s lesson from a storm about 10 years ago.

geekette

Reaction score
This current issue will be debated in the rearview mirror for years......

Why not take the unemployed and homeless folks and place them to work burying electrical lines all over the country so that cold, ice, snow, fires, tornadoes, hurricanes, uprooted trees, speeding vehicles, etc. are no longer issues that interrupt our great dependance on electricity ?

This would be a massive public works project and would solve a lot of issues in society.

Wishful thinking at best ;)

It's a stretch to assume that homeless and/or unemployed people are capable of the hard labor required for this.

It took years of planning and many months of work for just one electrical line to get buried here. I think we are maybe 20 houses, could be a few more.

If there is no committment to infrastructure improvements, it doesn't matter whether or not there are able-bodied people available. Nobody will take a contract that doesn't pay.

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Texas is also the only state in the union that isn’t connected to the federal power grids like most other states. There’s literally the western grid, the eastern grid, and the Texas grid. Typically when something like this happens in other parts of the country - the local power utilities can buy peak power from other utility companies in adjacent states and use the grid to transfer power to meet critical demand. Because of the choices that Texans have made to remain independent from the federal power grids - this is what happens when the local utility providers experience infrastructure failures and have no ability to buy power from others connected to the federal power grids. Perhaps Texas will reconsider the energy grid choices made historically in this regard.

This. I hope no one missed this. Especially everyone swearing off green energy.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

With respect to the current episode, about half of Texas' wind turbines did freeze up. However, the Electric Reliability Council of Texas, a power grid operator, generally calculates that the turbines will generate only about 19 to 43 percent of their maximum output during the winter months. It is worth noting that winds from the storm were boosting power production from the unfrozen coastal wind turbines and thus offsetting some of the other power generation losses.
In fact, similar state-wide power outages previously occurred in February 2011 when wind and solar power constituted less than 4 percent of Texas' generation capacity. The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission's report on the 2011 weather event noted that 193 generating units failed, resulting in rolling power outages that affected 3.2 million customers. Most of the outages in 2011 occurred as a result of frozen sensors and valves and natural gas shortages. The same problems with insufficiently winterized equipment appear to be happening now.

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The reason we have problems in Texas is that 1/4 of our electricity comes from windmills which are frozen and thus not producing electricity. Clearly my support for the Green Economy is now approaching zero...

What does Texas having a solo energy grid have to do with green energy...

Because a primary reason for current difficulty in Texas is lack of participation in federal grids which would give Texas ability to buy from other states. So whether or not windmills have frozen (and whether or not the sun is currently shining,etc.), Texas proibably could have better met the needs of residents, if not for Texas' refusal to participate - completely aside from green energy sources - whereas you and other TUGgers have suggested this episode reduces even further your support for green energy alternatives, as if that is the culprit, for example your comment above.

I don't know the rationale for the Texas non-participation, I'm curious about that and will look it up when I have a chance.