• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

MARRIOTT / CORONAVIRUS [MERGED]

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just don't get why they are blocking new II resevations. Those reservations are there and backed up by a maintenance fee. The resorts aren't closing. They aren't cancelling existing II and owner reservations.

hcarman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
So I am confused - MVCI's policy online says you can deposit your owner's week with Interval and if you are still 14 days out you are in the late deposit 60 day out booking timeframe. However, I am reading some posts that say Interval is not taking anything in April. So this is contradictory. I am in this boat and trying to figure what to do? If I can't even deposit with Interval then there is no reason to cancel?

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I'm seeing a thing in one of the Facebook owner groups that says the North American resorts are shutting down today. I can't find anything official to support that, and to me it looks like the person is confused about yesterday's release pertaining to cash/Bonvoy Points stays being canceled. This post is to say that if anybody has seen something official, can you please post it? Also to warn that if it shows up in any threads unsupported, it'll be deleted immediately with no explanation.

I'm also posting yesterday's press release, the latest from the corporate *newsroom* page, to give us all an idea of just how much MVW is doing to try to weather this storm. Impacted owners aren't the only ones who are being forced to sacrifice here - exec salary is being reduced 50%, furloughs/reduced work hours are happening, 401K matches are deferred ... the company isn't simply putting all this on the backs of owners.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Nobody is going to be shielded from the pain. I haven't seen anything here at Ocean Pointe that indicates they are shutting down. I still have another week from II that I added before the next 30 days vanished and it is still on marriott.com. Today or tomorrow I will asked the front desk about next week.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I am confused - MVCI's policy online says you can deposit your owner's week with Interval and if you are still 14 days out you are in the late deposit 60 day out booking timeframe. However, I am reading some posts that say Interval is not taking anything in April. So this is contradictory. I am in this boat and trying to figure what to do? If I can't even deposit with Interval then there is no reason to cancel?

hcarman,
It‘s really not contradictory-
Say you reserved your week at your MVC for April 15.
You normally would be able to do a late deposit 14-59 days out into II and be restricted to exchanging 60 days or less in advance.

Saintsfanfl says II is not taking your deposits within 30 days now - They are not accepting your reserved 4/15 week.
But Marriott will let you cancel that home week reservation and give you a week in II which you can exchange still restricted to the 60 days in advance. Note that MVC’s covid-19 policy doesn’t say you can deposit your week- it says they will give you an II week.

So II isnt acquiring all these Marriott weeks and offering them for exchange so if MVCs close or people decide to cancel II doesn’t have to deal with a mess. The II community boards are loaded with angry confused posts so I’m sure they are trying to minimize. But you ARE still getting a week deposited into II.
I posted what it says on MVC for weeks up to 4/23- but log onto MVC and have a look for yourself. It tells what is happening for weeks beyond 4/24 and also for points reservations.

Last edited:

DeeCee

TUG Member
Reaction score
My cousin has a friend with a Hilton timeshare. He had to cancel, like everyone else due to the virus. I don't exactly know what "individual status" means in that program, but his has been extended one full year by Hilton and he's very happy. I'm guessing he didn't have the same horrid experience as Marriott members.

I just want to be clear that the week Marriott had to deposit for me into II (because I had to cancel my upcoming week based on Marriott's email and the virus) actually expires on 12/17/2020? So I have to actually use the deposited week by December 17th? Like everyone else with reservations coming up within 75 days? Is this correct? Doesn't leave much options - I imagine II will be inundated with people trying to book something within a 60 day window making availability not so good?
We have never deposited in II and I have no idea what to expect - other than losing my week completely.
I still haven't gotten to call the Marriott exit program, but I do know we want out. Compared to Hilton and Disney and every airline - Marriott's policy during a worldwide pandemic sucks.

Dee

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
My cousin has a friend with a Hilton timeshare. He had to cancel, like everyone else due to the virus. I don't exactly know what "individual status" means in that program, but his has been extended one full year by Hilton and he's very happy. I'm guessing he didn't have the same horrid experience as Marriott members.

I just want to be clear that the week Marriott had to deposit for me into II (because I had to cancel my upcoming week based on Marriott's email and the virus) actually expires on 12/17/2020? So I have to actually use the deposited week by December 17th? Like everyone else with reservations coming up within 75 days? Is this correct? Doesn't leave much options - I imagine II will be inundated with people trying to book something within a 60 day window making availability not so good?
We have never deposited in II and I have no idea what to expect - other than losing my week completely.
I still haven't gotten to call the Marriott exit program, but I do know we want out. Compared to Hilton and Disney and every airline - Marriott's policy during a worldwide pandemic sucks.

Dee

I recommend you go to MVC web site and read their covid-19 cancellation policy. There have been some changing in the last day or so- I am seeing 12/16/21 for some expirations right now. It all depends on what type of reservation you have and what dates. Their chat feature was also working well with little wait earlier this evening. This is an MVC reservation and not through II?

Last edited:

sandcfort

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVCI Points
Very happy that MVC decided to extend the dates for canceled points to Dec 2021.

zora

TUG Member
Reaction score
fyi: I canceled an April 5 week at Ko Olina, received an II COVID-19 certificate and there are limitations including the following:
"Certificate may not be used for the following AREAS.Florida, Fort Lauderdale Coast From:01MAY To:31DEC,Florida, Upper Keys,Florida, Lower Keys,Florida, Key West,Florida, Tampa Bay,California, Kirkwood,California, Southern Coast,California, Big Bear Lake,California, San Diego Area,California, Northern National Forests,California, San Francisco,California, Napa Valley,Hawaii, Oahu,Hawaii, Maui,Hawaii, Kauai,Hawaii, Molokai,Hawaii, Big Island, "
I should have just kept the week.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
fyi: I canceled an April 5 week at Ko Olina, received an II COVID-19 certificate and there are limitations including the following:
"Certificate may not be used for the following AREAS.Florida, Fort Lauderdale Coast From:01MAY To:31DEC,Florida, Upper Keys,Florida, Lower Keys,Florida, Key West,Florida, Tampa Bay,California, Kirkwood,California, Southern Coast,California, Big Bear Lake,California, San Diego Area,California, Northern National Forests,California, San Francisco,California, Napa Valley,Hawaii, Oahu,Hawaii, Maui,Hawaii, Kauai,Hawaii, Molokai,Hawaii, Big Island, "
If you had kept the week, what would you have done with it?

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe

WHAT?! Those restrictions are disappointing. What would make them select those locations?

hcarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
So May 1 to December 31 is pretty much the length of the certificate? So this sounds similar to one of the free certificates we get from II every once in a while. Lots of restrictions. Usually Marriott to Marriott II trades were free for us but it sounds like any exchange is 99?

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Zora,
Did you cancel an II exchange?
Did you choose the certificate that didn’t require a new exchange fee and expires at the end of the year?

hcarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm seeing a thing in one of the Facebook owner groups that says the North American resorts are shutting down today. I can't find anything official to support that, and to me it looks like the person is confused about yesterday's release pertaining to cash/Bonvoy Points stays being canceled. This post is to say that if anybody has seen something official, can you please post it? Also to warn that if it shows up in any threads unsupported, it'll be deleted immediately with no explanation.

I'm also posting yesterday's press release, the latest from the corporate *newsroom* page, to give us all an idea of just how much MVW is doing to try to weather this storm. Impacted owners aren't the only ones who are being forced to sacrifice here - exec salary is being reduced 50%, furloughs/reduced work hours are happening, 401K matches are deferred ... the company isn't simply putting all this on the backs of owners.
Sad to hear about employee furloughs. It is good to see the execs are reducing their salaries since that doesn’t always happen - so they are doing the right thing and I applaud them for that. That being said, even 50% of their salary sounds pretty good to me.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
I wonder if the points retain their 120 restriction if you cancel a reservation made with them outside the 60 day window? Meaning, could you make a reservation 120 days out then cancel and because they are no longer inside 60 days they would then drop outside of a holding account?
I don't think so. When you book it shows you what bucket the points are coming from on the confirmation. That would assume that the system keeps track of the bucket so it knows where to put them back if you cancel. But this is MVCI IT so who knows.
You are likely right. That said, as a test, I booked a late June midweek day using some of my 120 day holding account points. Will wait a couple days and cancel and see what happens. I suspect as you say, they will be returned to the same 120 day holding account, but we shall see. I'll report back.
Well.... @rthib was correct....no loophole here to "clean" your holding account points. My cancelled late June test ressie made with 120 day Holding account points, cancelled before 60 days from check in, were returned to my 120 day Holding account, right were they came from. Chalk one up for the MVC IT guys.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Well.... @rthib was correct....no loophole here to "clean" your holding account points. My cancelled late June test ressie made with 120 day Holding account points, cancelled before 60 days from check in, were returned to my 120 day Holding account, right were they came from. Chalk one up for the MVC IT guys.
They get it right when we don't want them to get it right.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
Sad to hear about employee furloughs. It is good to see the execs are reducing their salaries since that doesn’t always happen - so they are doing the right thing and I applaud them for that. That being said, even 50% of their salary sounds pretty good to me.
Only 7% of CEO pay is salary lol; half his total payout would be applaudable but not the couple of dollars he'll give up.

Sent from my SM-A505G using Tapatalk

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Only 7% of CEO pay is salary lol; half his total payout would be applaudable but not the couple of dollars he'll give up.

Sent from my SM-A505G using Tapatalk

Not that anyone is going to have a pity party for that or any CEO but you know that other 93% vanished with this situation. Previous years already reported compensation also greatly decreased or vanished entirely.

Last edited:

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
My two Hawaii weeks will go into Interval using the COVID-19 cert with restrictions. Bummed.

Question: Is it worth additional fee to lock these weeks off....so I get 4 weeks in II?

MKO 3BR (Lockoff into 2BR and Efficiency)
MOC 2BR (Lockoff into 1BR and Efficiency)

These are not enrolled weeks...so already had to pay to re-activate my personal II account ($99) and will have to pay to lock-off also. Want to get folks view on whether paying to lock off each may be worth it...given some of the potential restrictions on the II COVID certificate (limited locations, use by end of 2020, etc). I'm also not sure if their is a villa size on the II COVID certs.

While MFees are lost, I'm trying to balance adding even more cost into this..unless it's worth it. ($99 II account renewal, $80 lockoff x 2, then $99 exchange fee X 2 (or 4) )..it starts adding up.

Last edited:

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Only if you want the additional deposits. If you don’t know and also need max trading power then no.

Do these deposits still have any trading power and a unit size associated?

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do these deposits still have any trading power and a unit size associated?

I don't know since I haven't seen one but I didn't think about that. Normally when you get a replacement deposit it is the same size but it is also very specifically tied to a real deposit that MVC owned in II. These have to be manufactured. They could still put the size on it but it won't matter too much. FWIW though I have had many late deposits and the size and trading power did still matter to some degree.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points

I am following this MVC portal for updates on individual properties - https://hub.vacationclub.com/resort-updates/.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am currently staying at Canyon Villas. Pools are open but fitness centers here and at the JW have been closed since Saturday due to governor decree. They aren't accepting any new reservations of any type through April 25. I learned this when I inquired about extending my stay tomorrow night if my flight gets cancelled. They aren't even accepting VC points reservations to extend stay a night or two. Hopefully, my SW flight back tomorrow won't be cancelled. Delta and American have already cancelled my flights.