• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

MARRIOTT / CORONAVIRUS [MERGED]

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Corrected for you as I assume this is what you meant.

Thank you for that, I corrected my post. I usually go back and re-read as best as I can, but, had some things to do so was rushed. I did *exactly* mean as you say. I just wish some people having difficultly right now, instead of venting hatred and anger, would instead ask questions about how they might do this or that. Perhaps not applicable to everyone in that boat, but, one guy did send me a PM today about cancelling and I gave him a much better way to go in his scenario as opposed to what he thought was right. You never know, never hurts to ask about how to handle situations. Many on Tug would gladly give advice, there are some super people here with a long long history of helping. And they do it for free!

alohakevin

unconfirmed
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification. I don't know all the ins and outs of the point system. I'm not trying to pit legacy owners against point owners. I just want to see an equitable treatment of all owners. It's times like these that a corporation's/business's or even an individual's value system comes through.

When did this become about values? Corporate or individual? This is a global pandemic. Marriott did not create this situation and quite frankly doesnt owe anyone anything other than what is written on the agreement you signed when you purchased. Sometimes life isnt fair but honestly that is irrelevant.
Personally my values dictate its my responsibility to address circumstances out of my ( and everyone elses ) control and create the best outcome possible and live with the result.

pspercy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club x2
DC points
I cancelled a mid April trip via the link on the MVCI website, giving all requested detail but have heard nothing back from Marriott.

Anyone know how long they're taking to do this ?

pspercy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club x2
DC points
Just received this from Barony Beach Club:

Dear Owners and Guests,   

Over the past several weeks, Marriott Vacation Club® has continued to modify and adjust its global resort operations to respond to the unprecedented situation surrounding the spread of the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19). The health and safety of our Owners, guests and associates is a top priority, and is at the forefront of the decisions we make.

Across our North American resorts, we are continuing to take necessary actions to adjust our resort operations to support shelter-in-place, social distancing, and non-congregation of persons. These adjustments are in response to mandates that continue to be implemented across the country, as well as additional guidance issued by governmental authorities, including from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the World Health Organization.   

These measures we are taking at our resorts, as well as others, are important measures in an attempt to ensure both the health and safety of our Owners and guests, and the health and safety of our associates and their families. Many of these changes, while critical under the current circumstances, result in a situation in which we are unfortunately no longer able to provide the resort experience that you’ve come to expect from Marriott Vacation Club.

While on-site amenities and services vary by resort and are impacted by local government mandates, including curfews in certain jurisdictions, we want to make you aware that you should, at a minimum, expect the following at our resorts for the duration of this situation:
  • Closure of spas, hot tubs, and saunas;
  • Closure of fitness centers, activity rooms, and kids’ clubs;
  • Elimination of gatherings of Owners/guests by modifying and cancelling activities;
  • Elimination of daily tidy housekeeping services as of March 28, 2020 (linens and amenities will be provided upon request);
  • Food and beverage outlets will offer only carry-out service (Note: In the coming days, we anticipate that food and beverage outlets may be closed entirely);
  • Significant reduction of pool deck seating to align with social distancing recommendations, as well as signage that strongly recommends social distancing within pools (Note: In the coming days, we anticipate that it may also be necessary to close pools); and
  • Reduction of on-site staffing based on occupancy levels.
Based on the above, and in continued support of federal, state, and local efforts to curtail the spread of COVID-19, we are writing today to strongly encourage you to consider cancelling your upcoming reservation if you have a reservation that is arriving within the next 30 days.

Due to the unprecedented circumstances surrounding the COVID-19 situation, if you decide to cancel your reservation, your Vacation Club Points will be returned to a Holding Account and  can be used for a future reservation or  for  select Explorer Collection offerings within 120 days of date of travel, subject to the use rules.    

Finally, due to extremely high call volume, we ask that you please refrain from contacting Owner Services to cancel at this time. Rather, we encourage you to visit the Marriott Vacation Club website where you may submit a request for cancellation online and view additional information on reservation cancellation policies and procedures.

We thank you for being part of the Marriott Vacation Club family and appreciate your patience and understanding as we work with all Owners to navigate this unprecedented situation.

Sincerely,     

Erac Priester
General Manager
Marriott's Barony Beach Club

barbg

TUG Member
Reaction score
I cancelled a mid April trip via the link on the MVCI website, giving all requested detail but have heard nothing back from Marriott.

Anyone know how long they're taking to do this ?
I too submitted something last week and have heard nothing... not even an acknowledgement of my request. I resubmitted today. This is frustrating. They don't have their act together. Today I received an email from my insurance company saying they will extend payments until May 25...not that I need it but I love how they are extending themselves to others. I wish Marriott would allow owners to re-book without the 120 day restriction. It is no cost to Marriott.

Mrs.SLLP

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC: Presidential Level
Deferring is great, but eventually they will be paid. Just as with MVC expenses. It is somewhat clear you were not aware of all the details of an ownership, it is too bad you were not on TUG during that time. That you don't feel like an owner is already a misunderstanding of what you purchased. You ARE an owner. And you are able to participate in annual owners association meetings. All the terms were in your original contract. If you made a mistake as you think you have, you are correct, for such a massive amount of money as you said you spent, you certainly should have done way more due diligence. Just as you might for a used house purchase, surely you don't just say gee I like that house? But you are indeed learning the hard way and I am sorry to hear that, I am sure it's very stressful and the like. You should take the time and review a typical resorts fees and what they go to. Mine has around 30 itemized line items (guessing didn't count). All of those go into the MF as an owner. Used or not. It's not the same as a prepaid vacation. Your best bet at this point is to learn a lot more, read the stickies, documents, etc to better understand what you purchased and how to get the most out of it.

Believe me when I say this, there are the vast majority of owners who have a simplistic view and MAY get their moneys worth, and then there are a lot of Tug users who are able to maximize the value and come out way ahead. You can choose to be either. I hope things improve for you.

And definitely, sales executives are not the most admired people on Tug. The saying here is when their lips are moving, they're lying. There'a a reason we have that saying sadly. And that applies to any timeshare that is discussed in any of the forums. So, I do understand how you can think one thing but have a different reality as far as what you have.
Just received this from Barony Beach Club:

Dear Owners and Guests,   

Over the past several weeks, Marriott Vacation Club® has continued to modify and adjust its global resort operations to respond to the unprecedented situation surrounding the spread of the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19). The health and safety of our Owners, guests and associates is a top priority, and is at the forefront of the decisions we make.

Across our North American resorts, we are continuing to take necessary actions to adjust our resort operations to support shelter-in-place, social distancing, and non-congregation of persons. These adjustments are in response to mandates that continue to be implemented across the country, as well as additional guidance issued by governmental authorities, including from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the World Health Organization.   

These measures we are taking at our resorts, as well as others, are important measures in an attempt to ensure both the health and safety of our Owners and guests, and the health and safety of our associates and their families. Many of these changes, while critical under the current circumstances, result in a situation in which we are unfortunately no longer able to provide the resort experience that you’ve come to expect from Marriott Vacation Club.

While on-site amenities and services vary by resort and are impacted by local government mandates, including curfews in certain jurisdictions, we want to make you aware that you should, at a minimum, expect the following at our resorts for the duration of this situation:
  • Elimination of gatherings of Owners/guests by modifying and cancelling activities;
  • Elimination of daily tidy housekeeping services as of March 28, 2020 (linens and amenities will be provided upon request);
  • Food and beverage outlets will offer only carry-out service (Note: In the coming days, we anticipate that food and beverage outlets may be closed entirely);
  • Significant reduction of pool deck seating to align with social distancing recommendations, as well as signage that strongly recommends social distancing within pools (Note: In the coming days, we anticipate that it may also be necessary to close pools); and
Based on the above, and in continued support of federal, state, and local efforts to curtail the spread of COVID-19, we are writing today to strongly encourage you to consider cancelling your upcoming reservation if you have a reservation that is arriving within the next 30 days.

Due to the unprecedented circumstances surrounding the COVID-19 situation, if you decide to cancel your reservation, your Vacation Club Points will be returned to a Holding Account and  can be used for a future reservation or  for  select Explorer Collection offerings within 120 days of date of travel, subject to the use rules.    

Finally, due to extremely high call volume, we ask that you please refrain from contacting Owner Services to cancel at this time. Rather, we encourage you to visit the Marriott Vacation Club website where you may submit a request for cancellation online and view additional information on reservation cancellation policies and procedures.

We thank you for being part of the Marriott Vacation Club family and appreciate your patience and understanding as we work with all Owners to navigate this unprecedented situation.

Sincerely,     

Erac Priester
General Manager
Marriott's Barony Beach Club

We received the same communication about our vacation club points used to reserve three Orlando villas next month. We simultaneously received a second email to advise how the villa booked with cash is being handled:

9byxUsH6hqvH9F40UDK8B-_wrx6D8jfi56N0TPfuG4qbUYAaKYFY6wv3_AH8PzjlCxRDFjQJ6Fc_RxEI_3fjNXGm1Owkjw8NTwzssw8MI8ZGhOjC0CbHdjwwQ8XaPKIkEpkXlgAMZv8=s0-d-e1-ft

– – –​
Dear Guests,   

Over the past several weeks, Marriott Vacation Club® has continued to modify and adjust its global resort operations to respond to the unprecedented situation surrounding the spread of the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19). The health and safety of our guests and associates is a top priority, and is at the forefront of the decisions we make.

In response to the evolving situation, we are writing today to let you know that, in continued support of federal, state, and local efforts to curtail the spread of COVID-19, all rental reservations for our North American resorts for arrivals beginning on Wednesday, March 25, 2020, and continuing through Thursday, April 23, 2020, will be canceled.

Your upcoming reservation will be automatically canceled, and  guests who may have had an advance deposit reservation will receive a full refund of their advance deposit.  

We believe that this is a necessary and prudent action to ensure that we adjust our resort operations to support shelter-in-place, social distancing, closure of many amenities, and non-congregation of persons, as mandates requiring these actions continue to be implemented across the country, as well as additional guidance issued by governmental authorities, including from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the World Health Organization. These measures, as well as others, are important in an attempt to ensure both the health and safety of our Owners and guests, and the health and safety of our associates and their families.

Sincerely,     

Marriott Vacation Club

sportsfan1

TUG Member
Reaction score
We received the same communication about our vacation club points used to reserve three Orlando villas next month. We simultaneously received a second email to advise how the villa booked with cash is being handled:

9byxUsH6hqvH9F40UDK8B-_wrx6D8jfi56N0TPfuG4qbUYAaKYFY6wv3_AH8PzjlCxRDFjQJ6Fc_RxEI_3fjNXGm1Owkjw8NTwzssw8MI8ZGhOjC0CbHdjwwQ8XaPKIkEpkXlgAMZv8=s0-d-e1-ft

– – –​
Dear Guests,   

Over the past several weeks, Marriott Vacation Club® has continued to modify and adjust its global resort operations to respond to the unprecedented situation surrounding the spread of the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19). The health and safety of our guests and associates is a top priority, and is at the forefront of the decisions we make.

In response to the evolving situation, we are writing today to let you know that, in continued support of federal, state, and local efforts to curtail the spread of COVID-19, all rental reservations for our North American resorts for arrivals beginning on Wednesday, March 25, 2020, and continuing through Thursday, April 23, 2020, will be canceled.

Your upcoming reservation will be automatically canceled, and  guests who may have had an advance deposit reservation will receive a full refund of their advance deposit.  

We believe that this is a necessary and prudent action to ensure that we adjust our resort operations to support shelter-in-place, social distancing, closure of many amenities, and non-congregation of persons, as mandates requiring these actions continue to be implemented across the country, as well as additional guidance issued by governmental authorities, including from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the World Health Organization. These measures, as well as others, are important in an attempt to ensure both the health and safety of our Owners and guests, and the health and safety of our associates and their families.

Sincerely,     

Marriott Vacation Club

What does this mean?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification. I don't know all the ins and outs of the point system. I'm not trying to pit legacy owners against point owners. I just want to see an equitable treatment of all owners. It's times like these that a corporation's/business's or even an individual's value system comes through.
I'm not sure it's possible to have a response that everyone would see as equitable. Given the differences in each system, I'm not sure it's possible to do anything that most would see equitable. They have to work within each system and still have to work within the POS. For points, it's likely easier than with weeks. About all they could do with weeks for rebooking would be to allow rescheduling based on availability but limited to the season owned. That might sound good but the reality is it likely means almost no one would get benefit. I'm guessing they had to give concessions to II and likely could not do both. Though I've said I'd be OK with rescheduling weeks over the next year or 2 subject to availability on a short notice limitation even across resorts and seasons, legally that's likely not an option.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
Agree 100%, and I promise I've only been flaming Marriott here more or less. :)

I'm sorry but it doesn't do any of us any good to let the entire TUG Marriott forum be inundated with complaints about MVW's handling of this issue - it leads to far too many duplicate posts and confusion. For the time being everything that relates solely to the inventory issues caused by travel restrictions due to COVID19 is being merged into [this] one thread. As time goes on and as unique situations arise, there may be space available to allow some leeway.

For what it's worth I know that MVW occasionally reads TUG, sometimes because their attention is specifically called to a thread and other times because it's what their social media employees are supposed to be doing. I would guess that right now, while they can't even keep up with the telephone, email, Twitter and Facebook traffic, TUG probably doesn't have any MVW eyes on it. That's another reason to merge all this stuff into one thread, so that when they finally do have the time to analyze every corner for how their response has been received, they'll be treated to one monster of a TUG thread that they'll ignore at their own peril.

For those who want to make sure that MVW has their eyes on individual situations sooner rather than later: Marriott Vacations Worldwide - Contact Us

purduealum91

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just received this re: Ritz Carlton St. Thomas

Dear Owners,

In response to the unprecedented situation surrounding the spread of the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), we wanted to make you aware that the Governor of the U.S. Virgin Islands issued a Supplemental Executive Order and Proclamation order on March 23, 2020 ("Order"), in an attempt to limit the health impacts and mitigate the spread of COVID-19.

As a result of the Order, The Ritz-Carlton Club®, St. Thomas will be closed to arrivals from March 25, 2020 through April 24, 2020 (which date may be extended based on further directives from any governmental authority), and all reservations for arrivals to the property prior to April 25, 2020 will be canceled.

Due to the unprecedented circumstances surrounding the closure of The Ritz-Carlton Club, St. Thomas, your Vacation Club Points will be returned to a Holding Account and can be used for a future reservation or for select Explorer offerings within 120 days of travel, subject to the exchange procedures.

Due to extremely high call volume, we ask that you please refrain from contacting Marriott Vacation Club Owner Services at this time. For Owners with immediate questions, please contact Marriott Vacation Club Customer Care via email at customer.care@vacationclub.com.

We thank you for being part of the Marriott Vacation Club® family and appreciate your patience and understanding as we work with all Owners to navigate this unprecedented situation.

Sincerely,

Marriott Vacation Club Owner Services

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
I've received notifications from the General Managers at two resorts where I've booked II exchanges, that while the properties are going to remain open for the time being, they are drastically reducing amenities, services, and may reduce on-site staff as well. It appears that the closure does not apply to weeks or DC points reservations for the time being, subject to local restrictions that are ever-evolving.

If you decide to cancel your reservation, please contact Interval International® at 800-622-1747 directly to discuss available options.      

We appreciate your understanding as we work to navigate this unprecedented situation. 

Sincerely,     

Eugene Martin
General Manager
Marriott's Royal Palms

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
Internal impact to VAC (from their investor announcement - apparently there is an institutional investor call today at 9 AM EDT) with my comments:

1. The Company’s executive leadership team is taking a 50% salary reduction. (this seems like a good PR move, but given the CEO's pay is only like 14% salary not sure if it's really anything - I would have preferred them say we're not taking bonuses but I'll reserve judgement)
  2. All new hires, with the exception of mission-critical needs, have been frozen. (prudent)
  3. The Company is implementing furloughs and reduced work hours. (awful for the workers, but so is everyone else so can't blame them)
  4. The Company is deferring its employee 401(k) match. (a shame given this is a real buying opportunity for long-term investors, but OK)
  5. The Company has developed plans that could reduce investment on capital expenditures and inventory by up to $240 million if necessary. (so slow down opening Casa Magna in Costa Rica and the Waikiki property? no ROFR repurchases?)
  6. The Company has suspended share repurchases under its share repurchase plan. (they'll probably be forced to do this anyway to get bailout money)

Any other thoughts (I promise - I tried REALLY hard not to flame them too bad here)?

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
I saw this email, it looks like it is for rental AND owner reservations.
I received the same email jmhpsu93 posted regarding my scheduled DC points reservation for April.
I am wondering why they just don’t close if they are asking us to cancel? To be clear I am going to cancel- wouldn’t travel right now.
Anyone know it there are different ramifications if the resort closes vs we cancel?

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am hoping if the resort is closed, we will somehow be reimbursed (through Marriott, travelex, etc.). If you cancel, you get the 120 days (from original check-in) to reuse your points. For these reasons, I will probably not cancel until the last minute. I don't see the benefit of cancelling any earlier and am hoping Marriott changes their tune before I do. I am speaking as an MVC owner, not week owner.
This is exactly what I am doing too. Cancelling 60 days or 1 day prior is the same so I am waiting it out. I just felt the email was curious- to urge us to cancel yet they weren’t closing.
note- I am referring to the letter for US confirmation.

gln60

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Harbour Lake
Abound Points
I am hoping if the resort is closed, we will somehow be reimbursed (through Marriott, travelex, etc.). If you cancel, you get the 120 days (from original check-in) to reuse your points. For these reasons, I will probably not cancel until the last minute. I don't see the benefit of cancelling any earlier and am hoping Marriott changes their tune before I do. I am speaking as an MVC owner, not week owner.
It’s a rolling 120 days out to use until the DC points expire

Yohon34

TUG Member
Reaction score
It’s a rolling 120 days out to use until the DC points expire
not sure I understand what you mean by "rolling" so I will go back and read it again. thank you for pointing it out.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
not sure I understand what you mean by "rolling" so I will go back and read it again. thank you for pointing it out.
You don’t have to use your points in the next 120 days.
You can’t book more than 120 days from check in.
So every day you can book 1 more day into the future (rolling).
Points keep their expiration date.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
You can only book a new reservation 120 days or closer to check in date. So based on the desired check in date of this ressie vs that ressie, the 120 is always changing.

gln60

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Harbour Lake
Abound Points
You don’t have to use your points in the next 120 days.
You can’t book more than 120 days from check in.
So every day you can book 1 more day into the future (rolling).
Points keep their expiration date.
Thanks for clarifying my quote

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
You can only book a new reservation 120 days or closer to check in date. So based on the desired check in date of this ressie vs that ressie, the 120 is always changing.
I wonder if the points retain their 120 restriction if you cancel a reservation made with them outside the 60 day window? Meaning, could you make a reservation 120 days out then cancel and because they are no longer inside 60 days they would then drop outside of a holding account?

DeeCee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good morning. I just received an email from Marriott. Am I allowed to post it here? It states that mostly everything at the resort (possibly food services altogether) will be closed down, and that if we have a week coming up in 60 days we can cancel it, pay for II to have it deposited and it has a 60 day prior to arrival booking window and EXPIRES DEC 17, 2020. Does that mean we have to travel by Dec 17 2020?

If so, instead of Marriott offering a more reasonable solution to THEM having to close down, now they're limiting it to less than a year? Am I reading this incorrectly?

The letter also states to refrain from calling and when I try, it hangs up on me.
How do I join II, pay them, and cancel and deposit the week? I would need to discuss with someone.

I simply can't wait to get out of this awful timeshare.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
I wonder if the points retain their 120 restriction if you cancel a reservation made with them outside the 60 day window? Meaning, could you make a reservation 120 days out then cancel and because they are no longer inside 60 days they would then drop outside of a holding account?
It might be worth a test....I do have a few, I may give it a try.

DeeCee

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry but it doesn't do any of us any good to let the entire TUG Marriott forum be inundated with complaints about MVW's handling of this issue - it leads to far too many duplicate posts and confusion. For the time being everything that relates solely to the inventory issues caused by travel restrictions due to COVID19 is being merged into [this] one thread. As time goes on and as unique situations arise, there may be space available to allow some leeway.

For what it's worth I know that MVW occasionally reads TUG, sometimes because their attention is specifically called to a thread and other times because it's what their social media employees are supposed to be doing. I would guess that right now, while they can't even keep up with the telephone, email, Twitter and Facebook traffic, TUG probably doesn't have any MVW eyes on it. That's another reason to merge all this stuff into one thread, so that when they finally do have the time to analyze every corner for how their response has been received, they'll be treated to one monster of a TUG thread that they'll ignore at their own peril.

For those who want to make sure that MVW has their eyes on individual situations sooner rather than later: Marriott Vacations Worldwide - Contact Us

Perfect! Thank you. I just got off the phone with one of the managers. All he talked about was the money Marriott is losing in having to cancel rental bookings.
I told him Marriott wouldn't have any money if it weren't for PEOPLE, of which they are not really working with at all. So much for that.

He did give me the exit program number. That's my next call.

Stay well and safe everyone.

Dee

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think so. When you book it shows you what bucket the points are coming from on the confirmation. That would assume that the system keeps track of the bucket so it knows where to put them back if you cancel. But this is MVCI IT so who knows.

gln60

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Harbour Lake
Abound Points
I tried the other day..the system used the points(holding account)that are due to expire on December 31,2020...including 100 points that are due to expire January 31,2021

Last edited: