• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

MARRIOTT / CORONAVIRUS [MERGED]

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
I don't think so. When you book it shows you what bucket the points are coming from on the confirmation. That would assume that the system keeps track of the bucket so it knows where to put them back if you cancel. But this is MVCI IT so who knows.
You are likely right. That said, as a test, I booked a late June midweek day using some of my 120 day holding account points. Will wait a couple days and cancel and see what happens. I suspect as you say, they will be returned to the same 120 day holding account, but we shall see. I'll report back.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I have some reservations booked at some Italy, including Venice and Rome. Hotel reservations are all through Marriott and haven't gotten those points back yet. Reservations start 4/11. No cancellations happening.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have some reservations booked at some Italy, including Venice and Rome. Hotel reservations are all through Marriott and haven't gotten those points back yet. Reservations start 4/11. No cancellations happening.
Did you cancel the reservations? If you cancel you should get the points back. If you don't cancel then it becomes your problem. I cancelled our March hotel reservation in Scottsdale and got our travel certificate back.

tiel

TUG Member
Reaction score
We got an email from Shadow Ridge this morning which included the following text: ...we are writing today to strongly encourage you to consider cancelling your upcoming reservation if you have a reservation that is arriving within the next 30 days.

Our owner week reservation starts on April 18. We were advised to cancel via the form on the website, and were advised as follows: Due to the unprecedented circumstances surrounding the COVID-19 situation, Marriott Vacation Club has made arrangements for those Owners that cancel their upcoming reservation within 60-days of arrival to receive an Interval International® week that will be deposited into your Interval International account within the next 30 days for future use. The Interval International week will have a reduced exchange rate of $99, will allow you to check availability up to 60 days prior to your desired travel date, and will expire on December 17, 2020.   

So I guess this is our best option.

jpc763

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's - Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge Villages & Imperial Palms Villas
We got an email from Shadow Ridge this morning which included the following text: ...we are writing today to strongly encourage you to consider cancelling your upcoming reservation if you have a reservation that is arriving within the next 30 days.

Our owner week reservation starts on April 18. We were advised to cancel via the form on the website, and were advised as follows: Due to the unprecedented circumstances surrounding the COVID-19 situation, Marriott Vacation Club has made arrangements for those Owners that cancel their upcoming reservation within 60-days of arrival to receive an Interval International® week that will be deposited into your Interval International account within the next 30 days for future use. The Interval International week will have a reduced exchange rate of $99, will allow you to check availability up to 60 days prior to your desired travel date, and will expire on December 17, 2020.   

So I guess this is our best option.
Wow! I understand that they cannot give you another week at Shadow Ridge this year, but to give you a significantly limited II exchange is pretty unfair in my opinion. Why not give you a normal exchange like you had deposited your April 2020 week a year ago? That seems much more fair.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow! I understand that they cannot give you another week at Shadow Ridge this year, but to give you a significantly limited II exchange is pretty unfair in my opinion. Why not give you a normal exchange like you had deposited your April 2020 week a year ago? That seems much more fair.
It is the difference between a usable week or not. If you had deposited a year ago, someone else would have exchanged into it. If you deposit a week now that it is definitely going to go unused, then giving you something back with limited usage is still better than giving you nothing.

scpoidog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ko Olina
Perfect! Thank you. I just got off the phone with one of the managers. All he talked about was the money Marriott is losing in having to cancel rental bookings.
I told him Marriott wouldn't have any money if it weren't for PEOPLE, of which they are not really working with at all. So much for that.

He did give me the exit program number. That's my next call.

Stay well and safe everyone.

Dee

Let us know what they offer you anything for exiting or if they just let you walk away. Unless you have a PRIME resort (Maui Ocean Club or something similar), there might not be much of a resale market at this time.

Good luck!

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
Can I ask about how long it takes Interval to recognize a new resort you are adding?
I have an II account, but it has been so long since I added resorts. I need to add Marriotts I have had for many years.
And can you recommend the proper number for me to call to do this?
Will they just need info I can get from my Marriott account?
It's been that long since I've been involved with Interval...

jpc763

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It is the difference between a usable week or not. If you had deposited a year ago, someone else would have exchanged into it. If you deposit a week now that it is definitely going to go unused, then giving you something back with limited usage is still better than giving you nothing.
Yes, you are correct and I understand that and am not advocating that you get a brand new week at your resort as some are asking.

It is just that so many weeks go unused on II that I would have hoped they would have loosened the belt a bit in this situation.

jbeachlvr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
The Suites at Eastern Slope Inn
Vistana Flex
This is exactly what I am doing too. Cancelling 60 days or 1 day prior is the same so I am waiting it out. I just felt the email was curious- to urge us to cancel yet they weren’t closing.
note- I am referring to the letter for US confirmation.

I received same email today, but from General Mgr of Aruba Surf Club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is just that so many weeks go unused on II that I would have hoped they would have loosened the belt a bit in this situation.

MVC weeks? All the MVC properties we have visited even on off season have pretty high occupancy rates. Are you speaking of a specific resort? I don't know that a lot of MVC weeks go unused. They do other avenues of occupying them like Destination escapes, geteways, etc. We stayed 90+ nights last year, on and off season all over the place. Don't recall a single MVC that had a lot of empty space. Or maybe you mean non Marriott?

jpc763

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC weeks? All the MVC properties we have visited even on off season have pretty high occupancy rates. Are you speaking of a specific resort? I don't know that a lot of MVC weeks go unused. They do other avenues of occupying them like Destination escapes, geteways, etc. We stayed 90+ nights last year, on and off season all over the place. Don't recall a single MVC that had a lot of empty space. Or maybe you mean non Marriott?
I am not talking about MVC weeks. The person I quoted had their home MVC week impacted. Marriott gave them an exchange in II with the following constraints, "The Interval International week will have a reduced exchange rate of $99, will allow you to check availability up to 60 days prior to your desired travel date " What that says to me (a planner) is that the only way I can get value from my lost week is to plan a trip in a 2 month window. That would be difficult for me. If that window was opened up to 120 or 180 days, it would be much better in my opinion.

I also acknowledge that in that window there will be little chance of getting another MVC week or a fantastic destination but it is possible.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, you are correct and I understand that and am not advocating that you get a brand new week at your resort as some are asking.

I think few good weeks get unused with II other than those that are short notice or low demand anyway.

DeeCee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Let us know what they offer you anything for exiting or if they just let you walk away. Unless you have a PRIME resort (Maui Ocean Club or something similar), there might not be much of a resale market at this time.

Good luck!

Okay, so I called corporate and spoke with a senior manager. He offered me absolutely nothing. I asked if they could lift the restriction of having to convert to Marriott Rewards point by 12/31/19 for the 2020 year due to the pandemic and all he did was talk about how much money Marriott was losing due to having to cancel their rental reservations, so no. I explained that Disney would wind up losing millions, if not billions, by closing their resorts and parks and DVC resorts, and they were still working with their members and refunding their guests. I explained that some airlines might not survive but were refunding up charges (got my money back on my seat selection cost) and not charging any change or cancel fees and returning points, offering money in travel banks, etc.
He just kept saying Marriott was losing millions. I said Marriott will continue to lose when it loses PEOPLE, because without people there's no money being generated.

Anway....so I took the last option I wanted to take, which was the only option they care enough to offer, which is late deposit into II. By the way, this morning I received an email from Marriott highly suggesting people cancel their resort reservations because it was more than likely that all services will be closed. He connected me directly to II so we could spend yet another $99 to renew our membership, and then he said to go back onto MVC website and start a "chat" to have someone help me deposit my week.

Between the phone call with him and the wait times with Interval, and then the wait with a chat session, it took about 3 hours before I was chatting with an MVC person, who readily told me that they were no longer accepting deposits of weeks into II with check in dates prior to April 23rd. My head came up, did a 360 degree spin and came back onto my body. I got off the chat with her, called back the senior manager at corporate and was assured by him that he will make sure I get my deposit into Interval....but that it expires DECEMBER 17 2020.

I went on to let him know that he had my dues, and II had my $99 but I most likely will not have my week. He gave the number for the exit program, but I had to spend some time on hold with Jetblue, who had all my refunds/credits given back to me in less than 30 minutes. So I'll call exit tomorrow and see what they have to say.

Then we will know how to proceed.

Thanks for the info, opinions and suggestions, and for sharing your own experiences and thoughts. Stay home, Stay Safe, Stop the Spread.

Dee

sea&ski

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Dee said: "I had to spend some time on hold with Jetblue, who had all my refunds/credits given back to me in less than 30 minutes."

Clearly, MVC needs to hire the JetBlue management team.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not talking about MVC weeks. The person I quoted had their home MVC week impacted. Marriott gave them an exchange in II with the following constraints, "The Interval International week will have a reduced exchange rate of $99, will allow you to check availability up to 60 days prior to your desired travel date " What that says to me (a planner) is that the only way I can get value from my lost week is to plan a trip in a 2 month window. That would be difficult for me. If that window was opened up to 120 or 180 days, it would be much better in my opinion.

I also acknowledge that in that window there will be little chance of getting another MVC week or a fantastic destination but it is possible.

Depends what you call good weeks I guess. MVCI mountains in summer, which we love, may be possible in that window. MVCI desert properties may also be possible. Normally, both are pretty easy but this year, assuming things settle by then, maybe more demand. Often Branson can be had as well. Yes, for planners, it's not as nice. For people like me, who almost have no trips outside of 60 day planning, business as usual. Suspect I am the minority though. I agree with you.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dee said: "I had to spend some time on hold with Jetblue, who had all my refunds/credits given back to me in less than 30 minutes."

Clearly, MVC needs to hire the JetBlue management team.

And American Airlines too! I was never able to reach them, they also said fill out the form on their site and I did. So, presume that will eventually get processed. AA will have to be used 2020 as any credit expires this year. That's going to be hard.

My experience was MVC was easy to get the cancel from, however, I was earlier and it's undoubtedly much harder now. I was glad I had to cancel early as I was not going to, but would likely be forced to now anyway. A stroke of good luck.

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We made our decision to cancel our April MKO trip back in January when we realized the severity of coronavirus and did not want to get sick. We did it early so that we would not get into the 60-day window. We are now sitting on a lot of points which will expire next year in June and we also have a bunch of points from this year which we will need to bank.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
We made our decision to cancel our April MKO trip back in January when we realized the severity of coronavirus and did not want to get sick. We did it early so that we would not get into the 60-day window. We are now sitting on a lot of points which will expire next year in June and we also have a bunch of points from this year which we will need to bank.

In other words, you are in great shape then! This is an example where understanding an ownership and the rules can greatly benefit you.

Last edited:

hcarman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Every night on the local news there is a short clip on investigations that the news media is doing on how companies have been treating customers during these times. Last night it was a rental company similar to an Airbnb and they interviewed several customers about how the company was handling things. They got some very bad publicity. Often times after these clips the companies come to their senses and start working with their customers for a better resolution as they realize how bad the negative publicity is for them. I am sure you have all seen them (KXAN, Help me Howard, etc.). Maybe people need to take their complaints off the board to a place that is more publicized.
Marriott Hotels has always believed in good customer service and happy customers, I would have to think that they are keeping an eye on this as well. After all, since the vacation clubs still bear their name, it might tarnish their reputation as well?

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can I ask about how long it takes Interval to recognize a new resort you are adding?
I have an II account, but it has been so long since I added resorts. I need to add Marriotts I have had for many years.
And can you recommend the proper number for me to call to do this?
Will they just need info I can get from my Marriott account?
It's been that long since I've been involved with Interval...

It only takes about a day. You just call the regular II number. If you are adding multiple weeks it is much cheaper to pay to extend your II membership in lieu of paying to add each week. By extending you can add an unlimited number of weeks vs getting charge an add fee for each unit.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
II is not taking any Marriott deposits that are for a check-in in the next 30 days and they have also removed all of them so you can no longer exchange into one.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
II is not taking any Marriott deposits that are for a check-in in the next 30 days and they have also removed all of them so you can no longer exchange into one.

That wouldn’t matter thought if MVC‘s covid-19 cancellation policy is in affect-

“Cancelling a Reservation Made with Ownership Weeks, with Arrival Dates Through April 23, 2020:
  • Receive an Interval International week that will be deposited into your Interval International account within the next 10 days for future use. The Interval International week will have a reduced exchange rate of $99 and will expire on December 17, 2020. You will be able to check availability up to 60 days prior to your desired travel date.”
Instead of doing that late deposit on II (14-59 days) you can just cancel and MVC deposits a week I to II.
There is info for April 24th forward also posted on MVC.

Last edited: