• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

With the stock market plunging. . .

Brett

Reaction score
This is market timing.

indeed it is.
some people believe they have the ability to pick the low and high points in the stock market and jump back in at the "right time"
They wish us long term "buy and holders" good luck

maybe we will need luck .... but I also periodically transfer money from equities to fixed income to mitigate that luck

geekette

Reaction score
Another IRA question... for those that need to, it would be nice of the government to relax the current early withdrawal penalty from IRAs. Doubt it will happen, but I suppose it’s possible.
This is being discussed.

There were already exceptions, including "for certain medical expenses", but we need it Lifted.

geekette

Reaction score
I think he is thinking of asking to recalculate based on reduced amount, not more. In 2009, RMD was deferred for a year because of the recession.
While I didn't know that, since I'm underage enough to have not noticed it, I think defer is quite different from recalc. We are early in the year so I could see deferment being reasonable. I don't see recalculation as workable. As Of is a moving target, who gets to pick that date?

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Tomorrow is going to be a bad morning. It might be better by close if the stimulus bill gets passed but because it didn't pass today tomorrow morning might be very bad.

Bill

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
While I didn't know that, since I'm underage enough to have not noticed it, I think defer is quite different from recalc. We are early in the year so I could see deferment being reasonable. I don't see recalculation as workable. As Of is a moving target, who gets to pick that date?
Agree. Recalculating won't work.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I cannot bear to look anymore. I am glad we were not over-invested in the stock market. We were at about 57% stock to cash/bond 43%. Now that ratio has likely flipped but with a smaller total. :( I am optimistic this will come back in 2 years. We are targeted to retire for a few more years so hope it will recover.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I cannot bear to look anymore. I am glad we were not over-invested in the stock market. We were at about 57% stock to cash/bond 43%. Now that ratio has likely flipped but with a smaller total. :( I am optimistic this will come back in 2 years. We are targeted to retire for a few more years so hope it will recover.

I am sorry you are losing your hard earned money when you expect to retire in the next couple of years. I still believe this situation will be solved in record time. This is because literally the world is working on it. Someone somewhere will find an answer. Once that happens, everything will Rocket up. Why? The panic caused things to rocket down. We are in serious oversold territory.

You may be now but soon will be when a solution is found.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I still haven't looked at our 401Ks. Not planning to, bu curiosity may get the best of me. We still have at least 20+ years to retirement, but it may still be hard to make it all back even in that long of a period of time. Of course, we will continue regular contributions through our pay, so IF the market goes back up, at least those will earn a return.

geekette

Reaction score
I haven't looked at portfolio value, only transactions. Like a bad day at work, it's nice to log in and see "who paid me today?" I also compared price to 52 wk highs/lows to see that we really haven't slid much.

Back in record time? well, any time we are back is a record, since this hasn't happened before.

Rocket up? yeah, I don't know about that. It's gonna be what it's gonna be.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I refuse to look at my portfolio. If recovery takes 2 years, so be it. Even if it takes 10 years, it is what it is. We are just glad that my husband's RMD is the only thing in play as we do not need to dip into the overall portfolio other than maybe 50K over the next 2 years as we had some unplanned expenditure last year. We will survive this.

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
I refuse to look at my portfolio. If recovery takes 2 years, so be it. Even if it takes 10 years, it is what it is. We are just glad that my husband's RMD is the only thing in play as we do not need to dip into the overall portfolio other than maybe 50K over the next 2 years as we had some unplanned expenditure last year. We will survive this.

I hear you, it is hard to look. We had a call with our Financial Advisor yesterday (he hasn’t directed our current holdings) and I felt like I had to look at our 401k and IRA’s. although it hurt it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. I still have about 3 years until my planned retirement (my wife retired from the Healthcare field 7 months ago...luckily). I still feel confident that we will recover and We will redeploy some of our assets into insurance products (annuities) that will protect us from future market dives like this while giving up some upside potential. I’m just glad it happened now while we’re in the midst of planning our retirement. It is a sobering “real life” example of what can happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I hear you, it is hard to look. We had a call with our Financial Advisor yesterday (he hasn’t directed our current holdings) and I felt like I had to look at our 401k and IRA’s. although it hurt it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. I still have about 3 years until my planned retirement (my wife retired from the Healthcare field 7 months ago...luckily). I still feel confident that we will recover and We will redeploy some of our assets into insurance products (annuities) that will protect us from future market dives like this while giving up some upside potential. I’m just glad it happened now while we’re in the midst of planning our retirement. It is a sobering “real life” example of what can happen.

The one thing about life I love is it’s always full of challenges. Never boring. This is just another challenge.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Good thinking on annuities.

When our FA advisor reached out to us last couple of weeks, I told him that my purchase of deferred fixed income annuities using all of my IRA in 2016 was done so that we did not put all eggs into one basket. We had zero regrets when market kept going up, and now we are looking like geniuses. Diversification is the key.

Last edited:

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
We will redeploy some of our assets into insurance products (annuities) that will protect us from future market dives like this while giving up some upside potential.

I have always been a big fan or annuities. Everything I own is an annuity (Pension) but because of low interest rates I suspect they are a bad buy today...

George

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I was big on automatic stop loss triggers a few years ago because I didn't want to go through the roller coaster dives of 2001 and 2008 again. Ended up cashing out early during volatility in the early 2008 recovery so didn't set them again. Wish I had done so. Oh well, it will come back in time. We will be fine.

Two pundits that I respect say this will pass and the markets will rise again in the next 12 - 24 months.

Bear in mind that the 1918 pandemic preceded the roaring 20s

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I was big on automatic stop loss triggers a few years ago because I didn't want to go through the roller coaster dives of 2001 and 2008 again. Ended up cashing out early during volatility in the early 2008 recovery so didn't set them again. Wish I had done so. Oh well it will come back in time. Two pundits that I respect say this will pass and the markets will rise again in the next 12 - 24 months.

Bear in mind that the 1918 pandemic preceded the roaring 20s.

Yes, one of my earlier posts showed the history of virus or disease scares. Mind you, I don’t think businesses were forced to close.

Although I see the travel industry badly hurt, I do see them getting bailed out. We can not afford to have (especially airlines) these core industries to fail. The bailouts they receive should tide them over and prepare for them to explode once this is over.

I see timeshare companies fairing better than the traditional hotel systems. This is because they still get cash from owners. I assume owners will be able to extend their benefits until they can travel again. This will equate to an explosion of owners returning and spending money at the resorts. After all, they have been cooped up and will be yearning to spread their wings.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I feel the cruise lines industry will be the hardest industry to recover financially because no future passengers wants to be confined on a cruise ship for days out to sea or not knowing when they are going home again. IMO.

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
Tomorrow is going to be a bad morning. It might be better by close if the stimulus bill gets passed but because it didn't pass today tomorrow morning might be very bad.

Bill

Could do a 180 before the day is over though. The vote was party line which Unfortuneately is how everything is under this administration. The Republicans were heavy on bailing out businesses. The Democrats are heavy on bailing out individuals. I think they will come together very soon to pass something. The Democrats want to win the election this fall and they cannot afford to look like the bad guys on this.

Brett

Reaction score
Could do a 180 before the day is over though. The vote was party line which Unfortuneately is how everything is under this administration. The Republicans were heavy on bailing out businesses. The Democrats are heavy on bailing out individuals. I think they will come together very soon to pass something. The Democrats want to win the election this fall and they cannot afford to look like the bad guys on this.

Or it could go 360 for another brutal day on the 'street'

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
The Democrats want to win the election this fall and they cannot afford to look like the bad guys on this.
I’m pretty sure this is true of the republicans, too. At some point, I wish both sides would put the nation’s interest above their own naked political interest. I know it will probably never happen but one can hope.