• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Will you be going out to eat?

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I saw a blip on TV yesterday that said Chipotle would start free deliveries for $10+ orders on Sunday, and two of our local more upscale restaurants are on Facebook saying they would deliver for free. Denny's has been advertising their $6.99 eggs-bacon-sausage- hash browns - pancakes breakfast that feed us for two meals so I am contemplating going out for that for tomorrow. I have to admit to hoping they aren't crowded, and if they aren't will tip more generously.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I saw a blip on TV yesterday that said Chipotle would start free deliveries for $10+ orders on Sunday, and two of our local more upscale restaurants are on Facebook saying they would deliver for free. Denny's has been advertising their $6.99 eggs-bacon-sausage- hash browns - pancakes breakfast that feed us for two meals so I am contemplating going out for that for tomorrow. I have to admit to hoping they aren't crowded, and if they aren't will tip more generously.

My only concern is that most food service industry workers do not have paid sick leave. That causes me to believe most of the sick workers will continue to go in to work since they don't have the paid leave.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
We went out for lunch and restaurant nearly empty

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Going out for lunch today and dinner tonight.

geekette

Reaction score
Nope. I generally do not eat out much normally, it's a money thing. Eating cheap has always been my secret weapon to saving as much money as possible. But now? Heck no. It's not just the workers. It's the table, and what it may or may not be wiped with to "clean" it, it's the chair, it's the salt shaker, it's the ice in the glass ... it's the people that are showing no symptoms going out and about that sat there before me. I can't see what they left behind and I can't see if it's on me. I don't know if bus staff is handling used plates or if the waitress just cleared a table before bringing my plate.

That said, yesterday my truck driver brother asked me to meet him at a truck stop to deliver his mail (that comes here) and we did eat at the lunch counter. I have been to that particular truck stop several times before and I knew the food was good, and there was only one other person at the counter. My brother ordered salad bar with his meal, but no way I was going to do that. Again, not the workers. This server was not clearing tables, and I could see the cook put up our plates just a few feet away and they travelled to us by her hands, which I trust, having seen her wash her hands several times in the half hour we were there.

I lost most of my appetite to illness and it hasn't fully returned so it's hard to get excited about food normally. but now? I am even less motivated to fix myself anything, but did enjoy the burgundy beef tips yesterday. In some ways, I'm pretty lucky to be content with a spoonful of peanut butter as dinner. I get migraines, so empty is not a bad way to be.

Brett

Reaction score
went to our favorite Mexican restaurant this evening, everything was normal ... maybe a little more emphasis on cleaning

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Question: What about meat? While the virus is not foodborne, what if the butcher has coronavirus and touched the meat? Can I now get the virus?

Montville: Cooking would kill the virus.

Schaffner:Scientists will never say anything is at zero risk, but I'm not worried at all about getting the coronavirus from food. Hypothetically, yes, perhaps your piece of meat could have the virus on it. But your stomach acids will kill it. Plus the coronavirus is not equipped to get through your intestine's walls, which is how foodborne diseases make you sick.

LMD

TUG Member
Reaction score
No going out to eat and no going to the gym for me.

Hobokie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Elara (HGVC) + Worldmark
We used to eat out all the time, but have recently cut down to save money (just bought a house). We will likely NOT eat out for the next few weeks (I'd like to see the spread of the virus contained like it is in South Korea before we resume "normal activities"). I have to say that even if we were still pre-home and eating out a bunch, I likely would NOT be going out to eat for at least 2-3 weeks...

Firepath

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC
No, we generally eat out once a week and do our own cooking the rest of the time. Now we are doing all our own until we see what happens.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
This was my aha thought a couple days ago. You will not want people preparing your food.
Even a cup of coffee. I watch the lady at dunkin donuts the other day slap my lid on, full palm over the cover. I pulled it off and drank from the cup.
I still drank it, so I guess I'm not 100% panic stricken yet.....but I thought about it enought to order extra k-cups for the house.

At some point, I'm going to need to wrangle my husband in on this topic if it gets really bad in our area. He will most likely be the only one out and about with the general public. His food choices are the easy ones. Buy a cup of coffee, instead of making one. Go out for breakfast/lunch/dinner instead of making/bringing it. Think of all the money I'm gonna save when I send him to work with a granola bar and a can of soup and tell him to figure it out!

LMD

TUG Member
Reaction score
I feel like this is one reason that the grocery stores are busy....people are doing more cooking for themselves.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We're still away from home and currently in a hotel, so yes we'll be eating out.

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
We go out here and there. Right now avoiding going out to unnecessary places as much as possible. We have cases here......no need to take a chance and hubby fits the age and medical issue/controlled/stable though.

We are not staying indoors - going for walks, food shopping 7 am, etc. But there is nothing we need to have right now. We watch the grandchildren and worry our adult kids might get it and give it to us and/or the in-law's, etc. etc. It can't be avoided 100% - but we can try to avoid crowds and touching a thousand things if we don't need to.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just bought a mini freezer. And a month+ worth of groceries. So we're good.

A couple of years ago I tried grocery shopping only once every two weeks. I saved $300 on my monthly grocery bill.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
It will be just doing the usual for us. So nope, not really going out for meals. Drinks maybe.

Lucked out and was uninvited to a future large gathering today. They are trying to reduce the attendee's down to under 250. Lucked out yesterday when a baby shower was canceled. When did the men start attending baby showers anyway ? It's like the best excuse not to go because I'm not sure if I'm not sick.

Bill

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We probably won't go out to eat much. We don't usually anyway unless on vacation. Though after our move to Florida we started eating out a lot more, this current situation will put a stop to that and save us a bundle too.

We have been getting emails from restaurants about how they are monitoring the situation and cleaning and blah blah blah. You mean you are starting to do what you should have always been doing? After watching them sweep a table (I say sweep because most of the crumbs end up on the floor), you learn real fast that the people cleaning tables don't care. Do they care more now, are they using the same nasty cloth that they used for every other table that night. Are they even using cleaner? I haven't seen a spray bottle of cleaner used to spray the table before wiping it in a long time.

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
This is going to be rough on the service industry. Waiters, bartenders, bus boys who rely on tips are going to be hurting.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
It will be just doing the usual for us. So nope, not really going out for meals. Drinks maybe.

Lucked out and was uninvited to a future large gathering today. They are trying to reduce the attendee's down to under 250. Lucked out yesterday when a baby shower was canceled. When did the men start attending baby showers anyway ? It's like the best excuse not to go because I'm not sure if I'm not sick.

Bill
I heard the term "sprinke" used for the first time. Apparently a baby shower for a kid after the first. New term to make people feel better about having another party and soaking people again for more gifts.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, we will still go out to eat a couple days a week, 1 meal each.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
if there were powers that be that really wants to slow down the American and world economy and create global pandemonium, they did it. Simpson’s predicted after trumps presidency when Lisa was president the country was flat broke. Looks like it’s headed that way lol.
To answer the OP. I’m not going out to eat because I have plenty of food for cooking!

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
if there were powers that be that really wants to slow down the American and world economy and create global pandemonium, they did it. Simpson’s predicted after trumps presidency when Lisa was president the country was flat broke. Looks like it’s headed that way lol.
To answer the OP. I’m not going out to eat because I have plenty of food for cooking!

Must of went to Costco, lol.

Bill

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
We committed to self isolate. I open the gym, manage, and instruct. It was hard for me to give up. I am also 62 so high risk and the gym is by far the riskiest place I could be. I'm going to miss it, but will be doing online stuff (one daughter wants to do beachbody). Other daughter is a hospitalist and I have to support her in anyway I can - and that means helping to flatten the curve. I like to think we're all healthy enough to be okay through this, but I have to think of the others I might infect along the way. Got to flatten the curve. Our medical professionals have a long, hard road ahead of them.