• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What are my options for taking over my uncle’s Marriott deeded unit

NHlakelover

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana Harborside Nassau Bahamas
My uncle no longer travels. He has asked me if I am interested in his 2 bedroom 2 bath at Shadow Ridge Palm Desert deeded unit. Description says the point value is 75,000.
I have several questions:
1. Is it possible to retain all the owner benefits by putting my name on the deed and at TOD (time of death) it transfer to me.
2. I think I understand it would be best to keep the unit deeded and elect points as needed
3. Am I correct in assuming that the point election allows me to exchange within Marriott versus going to deposit in Interval
4. What is the best way to get exchanges for units in Europe

Thanks in advance for help with my decision

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The point value you are mentioning has to be the value on Marriott Bonvoy points if converted. Not the amount of Abound Club Points it can elect for. The 75,000 points would be to reserve properties through Marriott.com. It is a poor use of the unit. It is better to be locked off and traded through Interval International, but its value there is also questionable at best.

Reactions: jme

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
My uncle no longer travels. He has asked me if I am interested in his 2 bedroom 2 bath at Shadow Ridge Palm Desert deeded unit. Description says the point value is 75,000.
1. Is it possible to retain all the owner benefits by putting my name on the deed and at TOD (time of death) it transfer to me.
2. I think I understand it would be best to keep the unit deeded and elect points as needed
3. Am I correct in assuming that the point election allows me to exchange within Marriott versus going to deposit in Interval

I do not believe nephews can retain the points usage or enrollability (if bought prior to 6/2010. Someone can correct if this is not the case. Dioxide is correct that the 75K is rewards points, and it is a horrible value even if you could do this. What season is it?

Hindsite

TUG Member
Reaction score

1) My understanding is that only direct relationships will get the benefits through transfer, whether that after death or before, so look into adding your name to the deed now. By adding your name now, not transferring, you may retain the benefits after death. If you take it on, ensure that you understand the enduring nature of the maint fee commitment and the difficulty of getting rid of it if/when you no longer want or need it.
2) The week is deeded. Electing is the term used for club points that you can choose to have on an annual basis. Trading for Bonvoy points is the terminology for the annual choice to use the week for Bonvoy points. Only you can decide the "best" use of the week.
3) Electing for club points allows you to use those points to book within the Abound exchange system, which is an internal exchange across MVC, Sheraton and Westin resorts. You can use it instead of Interval International (II). Some resorts have better value/availability via II and some by Abound so here is no set answer as to which to use.
4) If you want the MVCs in Europe then II is a good choice, but they are also available via Abound. Depending on the election value of the week (how many club points you get) vs the number of club points needed to book where and when you want to go, the answer on "best" could be different. e.g If you want Low season in Europe, your best route is to pay $ for an II getaway. If you want mid season and can go Sun-Thurs then Club points might work. If you want mid to high season then an exchange via II is probably best if you put a request in 8-14 months ahead.

The season and unit size/type may help you decide, if its a high season lock-off then that could be useful as a trader in II as well as having the option to elect for club points.

Also double-check how it would interact with your other ownerships if you are one of the named owners, so you know if it will result in you having a second Abound account.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
welcome to TUG @NHlakelover
Ask your uncle what season is owned.
The season determines the weeks from which you may reserve . Here is the calendar for Shadow Ridge. There are two phases. You also need to know whether he owns the original phase or the second phase, called the Enclaves.

As soon as you find that out, find out whether a reservation has been made for 2025. If not, determine what your goal is for 2025.
If you want to rent it out or exchange the units, you need to get the reservations made. You may reserve a 1 br and a studio, same week or different weeks. Come back for guidance once you know your season.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
1) My understanding is that only direct relationships will get the benefits through transfer, whether that after death or before, so look into adding your name to the deed now. By adding your name now, not transferring, you may retain the benefits after death. If you take it on, ensure that you understand the enduring nature of the maint fee commitment and the difficulty of getting rid of it if/when you no longer want or need it.
2) The week is deeded. Electing is the term used for club points that you can choose to have on an annual basis. Trading for Bonvoy points is the terminology for the annual choice to use the week for Bonvoy points. Only you can decide the "best" use of the week.
3) Electing for club points allows you to use those points to book within the Abound exchange system, which is an internal exchange across MVC, Sheraton and Westin resorts. You can use it instead of Interval International (II). Some resorts have better value/availability via II and some by Abound so here is no set answer as to which to use.
4) If you want the MVCs in Europe then II is a good choice, but they are also available via Abound. Depending on the election value of the week (how many club points you get) vs the number of club points needed to book where and when you want to go, the answer on "best" could be different. e.g If you want Low season in Europe, your best route is to pay $ for an II getaway. If you want mid season and can go Sun-Thurs then Club points might work. If you want mid to high season then an exchange via II is probably best if you put a request in 8-14 months ahead.

The season and unit size/type may help you decide, if its a high season lock-off then that could be useful as a trader in II as well as having the option to elect for club points.

Also double-check how it would interact with your other ownerships if you are one of the named owners, so you know if it will result in you having a second Abound account.
I am not sure if this will work. There is no such thing as "adding to a deed." This is a common misconception. To add someone as an owner to property, there is a deed transferring from the current single owner (uncle) to a new owners (uncle and nephew.) MVC likely will consider the new deed a transfer which includes a non qualifying person, potentially stripping of any points rights. Otherwise, there would be no point to the direct relative requirement.

Also, OP has not confirmed either way if this week is enrolled or eligible to be. Either way, I don't think your suggestion will work. If OP wants this to happen they should confirm with transfer services. I own at Shadow Ridge but would not take on an unenrolled week. MF are too expensive for the week alone.

Hindsite

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not sure if this will work. There is no such thing as "adding to a deed." This is a common misconception. To add someone as an owner to property, there is a deed transferring from the current single owner (uncle) to a new owners (uncle and nephew.) MVC likely will consider the new deed a transfer which includes a non qualifying person, potentially stripping of any points rights. Otherwise, there would be no point to the direct relative requirement.

Not sure either, and I've read conflicting info on whether that "works" to maintain status, hence my advice to look into it.

Also, OP has not confirmed either way if this week is enrolled or eligible to be. Either way, I don't think your suggestion will work. If OP wants this to happen they should confirm with transfer services. I own at Shadow Ridge but would not take on an unenrolled week. MF are too expensive for the week alone.

Correct, though they used the term elected, so again this needs to be checked, along with whether it is a lock-off and what unit size/season it is.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score

Read the last 2 items in the pink section at the top of this forum to learn more about how MVC works.
Definitely need to find out if the week is enrolled.
Looks like you already own Vistana? So you probably know how II works and the implications of what season the week is.

Last edited:

NHlakelover

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana Harborside Nassau Bahamas
The Marriott week is enrolled in Interval. I have helped my uncle exchange to other properties. I have exchanged my Vistana on Interval awhile back to extend my usage … I do get there is a trading “value“ placed on properties.

How do you know what the Abound value is and what you can exchange for? I am starting to get more familiar with the system but not by much. My Vistana unit is deeded in the Bahamas and we are not in the abound club points system as far as I see.

Thanks for all your patience in helping me sort this out.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
The Marriott week is enrolled in Interval. I have helped my uncle exchange to other properties. I have exchanged my Vistana on Interval awhile back to extend my usage … I do get there is a trading “value“ placed on properties.

How do you know what the Abound value is and what you can exchange for? I am starting to get more familiar with the system but not by much. My Vistana unit is deeded in the Bahamas and we are not in the abound club points system as far as I see.

Enrolled is not the terminology we use for II. It is specific to being in Abound (former Destinations Club.) IF enrolled it would be worth 2325 points. With the MF amount for that week, points are not the best use of the week.

According to this post you will not receive enrolled status (or eligibility) a s nephew:
Since I am mentioned here, I will come out of "TUG retirement" for this post. Sue is right about "following the bloodline." It can also be grandparent-to-grandchild, but it has to be down the chain of bloodline. It cannot be to a sibling or even up the bloodline, such as child-to-parent. One other point to note. Although I could never find this in any Marriott documents, MVCI has told me the transfer must be a "gift," not a sale, but that can be easily averted by having any exchange of money between the family members occur informally outside of the transaction transferring title.
You can rent a 2BR gold week at will for less than the MF ($2,300). Platinum weeks go for under $1000. You could exchange for a shoulder season Hawaii week, but not being enrolled, you also pay the II fees.

claraj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Los Suenos
So I need to adopt my niece and nephew?

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score

You need to find out if the week is enrolled in Abound.
That allows the owner to elect Abound points.
If the week is enrolled the owners pay yearly club membership dues and that comes with a cooperate II membership that can only house enrolled weeks. It gives free exchange to other abound properties from that account.
Owners decide yearly to stay your ownership, deposit into II or elect abound points and use those points to book other abound properties directly without going through II.
A unit does not stay enrolled when it is sold.
I see there is discussion as to whether it would remain enrolled if your uncle passes it to you.

if the week is in a personal II account it is not enrolled, but it could possibly be enrolled if it was a developer purchase prior to 2010. With an unenrolled week you either stay or ownership or deposit it into II to exchange.

I think you need to understand what your options are before you decide.

Last edited:

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
if the week is in a personal II account it is not enrolled, but it could possibly be enrolled if it was a developer purchase prior to 2010. With an unenrolled week you either stay or ownership or deposit it into II to exchange.

I think you need to understand what your options are before you decide.

It is any MVC week bought resale or direct in your account before June(?) 2010 is eligible for the Destination program.

Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

5finny

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I need to adopt my niece and nephew?
I think you can legitimately add them to your deed
As owners they will also be responsible for costs
I have no idea what officially would happen with the Marriott account status on your demise

LeslieDet

TUG Member
Reaction score

The general rule is that a transfer from uncle to niece/nephew is outside the direct family transfer rule (ie parent/grandparent/child) and thus the week will be deemed a resale, and is also subject to the ROFR (if the ROFR exists for that location). You will not have any of the owner perks, no BonVoy points (which is a horrible value anyway) and no enrollment in Abound. So, no, you can’t elect Club Points.

I am aware of one exception that MVC has made in the past when a niece (who was an existing owner), and they allowed her uncle to convey ownership to the niece of a deeded week in SC as a JT with the uncle. The proviso in that case was that the week retained enrollment eligibility so long as the uncle was alive. The niece was required to acknowledge that once the uncle passed away, the week would no longer be enrolled. Also, in that specific instance, MVC waived the ROFR. All of this was put in writing between the niece, uncle and MVC. This happened in 2021.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
From what I read above, after paper filing hassle, enrollment rights would at best be lost when the uncle died.

If it were me, I would keep the unit in the uncle's name and offer to pay for the MF and use the benefits of the enrolled unit. The uncle could then list you as an heir to the unit upon passing in his trust or will. You could then decide as an heir whether to keep or renounce the ownership based on whether the unit has value for you at time of death. Your life and job prospects may also change at that time so you may have reasons not to take it.

This is low risk to you because you do not own it and you still receive benefits of the enrollment. Your uncle wins because he reduces MF cost from his budget, and you get time to try the system and consider whether this unit is worth it to eventually own.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
The general rule is that a transfer from uncle to niece/nephew is outside the direct family transfer rule (ie parent/grandparent/child) and thus the week will be deemed a resale, and is also subject to the ROFR (if the ROFR exists for that location). You will not have any of the owner perks, no BonVoy points (which is a horrible value anyway) and no enrollment in Abound. So, no, you can’t elect Club Points.

I am aware of one exception that MVC has made in the past when a niece (who was an existing owner), and they allowed her uncle to convey ownership to the niece of a deeded week in SC as a JT with the uncle. The proviso in that case was that the week retained enrollment eligibility so long as the uncle was alive. The niece was required to acknowledge that once the uncle passed away, the week would no longer be enrolled. Also, in that specific instance, MVC waived the ROFR. All of this was put in writing between the niece, uncle and MVC. This happened in 2021.

Is this also true when a niece or nephew is the heir of an estate? Assume there are also no children of the original owner.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I am not sure if this will work. There is no such thing as "adding to a deed." This is a common misconception. To add someone. as an owner to property, there is a deed transferring from the current single owner (uncle) to a new owners (uncle and nephew.) MVC likely will consider the new deed a transfer which includes a non qualifying person, potentially stripping of any points rights. Otherwise, there would be no point to the direct relative requirement.

I know that with Disney, I was able to add our kids later and they received the benefits we had. We added their names with ours. LT Transfers did it and the kids have benefits that go with our ownership. We didn't say they were our kids, necessarily, but they were.

5finny

TUG Member
Reaction score

I thought an owner with an enrolled week could add another person to his ownership (Yes I agree that would take a new deed from owner to both the existing owner and the new addition ) without affecting the enrollment or benefits.
@LeslieDet am I wrong?
If so that is a data point I am happy to have

LeslieDet

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought an owner with an enrolled week could add another person to his ownership (Yes I agree that would take a new deed from owner to both the existing owner and the new addition ) without affecting the enrollment or benefits.
@LeslieDet am I wrong?
If so that is a data point I am happy to have
Adding within the allowed group (spouse, child, grandchild) doesn’t impact enrollment eligibility. Adding outside the allowed group can impact eligibility to enroll unless exception granted. As I noted the instance of the niece being added, I helped the niece and am aware she and her uncle received written confirmation from MVC legal that uncle’s owner status would not be impacted and enrollment eligibility remained intact during his lifetime.

5finny

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good to know
Not something I was intending on doing but something I would not have hesitated doing if the situation had come up