• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St John Master Thread - Part 3 [Dec. 2017 and forward]

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
Sunset Bay EOY 176,700 Homeoptions
2021 Fees $1851.90
2022 Fees $1998.19
Increase = $146.29 or 7.9%

Looks like the largest increase was driven by growth in total insurable values of the Association’s buildings, resulting from a replacement cost study of the resort by the insurance company.

Management fee per point from the budget went from .0013246 in 2021 to .0014194 in 2022.

Another interesting note from the approved budget total, Board of Directors went from $300 per 2Bd in 2021 to $6500 in 2022. I wonder why the large increase there and what do we owners get for that?!?!

Last edited:

schafercpa

Reaction score
On another note.
Bay Vista 24 & 25 buildings has had its elevator out of service for over a month still waiting for a part.
Never received advanced notice about it. Can’t imagine what elderly or parents with strollers felt when they arrived!!!
The staff seems to be pretty upset since they must carry bags as well as linens up the stairs!

schafercpa

Reaction score
On another note.
Bay Vista 24 & 25 buildings has had its elevator out of service for over a month still waiting for a part.
Never received advanced notice about it. Can’t imagine what elderly or parents with strollers felt when they arrived!!!
The staff seems to be pretty upset since they must carry bags as well as linens up the stairs!
Elevator is now running!!!!!!

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
Heading to WSJ soon but arriving by air in STT from another island / international arrival. Are we required to have a negative COVID test with 1 day per the new Fed rule or a negative PCR test with a few days per USVI…..or both???

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Heading to WSJ soon but arriving by air in STT from another island / international arrival. Are we required to have a negative COVID test with 1 day per the new Fed rule or a negative PCR test with a few days per USVI…..or both???
When using the USVI travel portal it took about 18 hours to get my approval to enter the USVI. My daughter mixed up some info on her application so had to resubmit and in total took closer to 48 hours to get approval.

Although technically if you got your COVID test after midnight on Friday at 1 am you might have time to submit it and get approval for your flight that arrives on Saturday at noon but I personally would not chance it.

I would do both.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)

The USVI Portal deals with Domestic and International Travel. I would go with what the portal requires as this is you determining factor at STT upon arrival.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Delinquencies are much less in this phase resulting in “only” a 5.5% increase.

Greetings Coral Vista Owners,

The Board members recently met onsite in September for the 2022 budget workshop. You will be pleased to know that the property is thriving.

Resort Update

Great news! The Westin St. John is back in full swing after a challenging period of this worldwide pandemic. The property is averaging 90% occupancy. This comprised of both Owners, exchange guests and rental guests. We observed that the property is continuing to take extraordinary measures to follow CDC protocol and Enhanced Operating Procedures to protect our associates, Owners, and guests. Currently, face masks are required in indoor public areas and on the shuttles, but please understand that these requirements may change at any time on short notice. Currently, midweek tidies are on hold; however, if you need fresh linens, housekeeping will be happy to bring them to your villa upon request. The procedures for cleaning a vacated villa, pool chairs and touchable areas have kept our housekeeping team busy.

Restaurants

Mango Deli and Snorkels are open for our Owners and guests. Snorkels is offering both carry-out and dine-in services for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The Lemongrass space is currently being utilized one night per week to host a Caribbean night with featured recipes from around the islands. Additionally, we began serving a Breakfast Buffet 7 Days a week starting December 13th. We encourage you to take part in this unique dining experience.

Increase in Costs

Your elected representatives have worked with our management team to review and revise our budget for 2022. Insurance and utilities are the two greatest expense increases hitting our budget.

Electricity - Energy in the Virgin Islands is expensive. Electric rates are an item that is beyond our control. Due to the rising costs, we are once again strongly recommending that Owners keep their sliding doors closed and their thermostats set to a steady temperature to conserve energy. Just like a refrigerator, your villa air conditioning will run most efficiently if set at a constant temperature, 70 degrees, with the doors closed. We encourage you to do your part in helping to manage our utility costs.

Maintenance Fees

Our objective, as always, during the annual September budget workshop and November budget meeting, is to keep maintenance fee increases as low as possible while ensuring the resort’s assets and Owner experience are protected. We worked very hard and evaluated every line item in the budget to look for possible savings. However, due to the cost increases discussed above, we approved a maintenance fee increase for 2022 of 5.5% on average. We felt this was necessary to maintain the strong financial viability of the Association and will ensure that resort services, amenities, and capital improvements will continue to provide us with a superior vacation experience.

Extension 5000

Just a reminder, if you have an issue during your stay, please direct concerns first to Service Express, and if you don’t obtain prompt service, leave a message on Extension 5000. This line goes directly to our General Manager and the heads of all departments.

Kids Club, Spa

The Westin Family Kids Club will reopen by mid-December, and we hope to have the Spa open in the 1st quarter.

Late Payments of Fees and Foreclosure

Our collection rate on 2021 maintenance fees is currently 95.7%. Fifty-three accounts are delinquent in paying maintenance fees and these unpaid fees fall on those who do pay in a timely manner. This loss of revenue and associated collection expenses are an additional factor in our 2022 maintenance fee increase, as the money must come from each Owner. Law changes in the Virgin Islands are making it easier to foreclose on units, but this is not a step we wish to take. We ask you to please pay your fees when due.

We are honored to serve you,

Your Board of Directors

Nancy, Jim, Carla, Bill, David, Mark and Sharon

Island Girl

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St John Westin Lagunamar Westin Desert Willow Sheraton Vistana Villages Sheraton Vistana Resort
Delinquencies are much less in this phase resulting in “only” a 5.5% increase.

Greetings Coral Vista Owners,

The Board members recently met onsite in September for the 2022 budget workshop. You will be pleased to know that the property is thriving.

Resort Update

Great news! The Westin St. John is back in full swing after a challenging period of this worldwide pandemic. The property is averaging 90% occupancy. This comprised of both Owners, exchange guests and rental guests. We observed that the property is continuing to take extraordinary measures to follow CDC protocol and Enhanced Operating Procedures to protect our associates, Owners, and guests. Currently, face masks are required in indoor public areas and on the shuttles, but please understand that these requirements may change at any time on short notice. Currently, midweek tidies are on hold; however, if you need fresh linens, housekeeping will be happy to bring them to your villa upon request. The procedures for cleaning a vacated villa, pool chairs and touchable areas have kept our housekeeping team busy.

Restaurants

Mango Deli and Snorkels are open for our Owners and guests. Snorkels is offering both carry-out and dine-in services for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The Lemongrass space is currently being utilized one night per week to host a Caribbean night with featured recipes from around the islands. Additionally, we began serving a Breakfast Buffet 7 Days a week starting December 13th. We encourage you to take part in this unique dining experience.

Increase in Costs

Your elected representatives have worked with our management team to review and revise our budget for 2022. Insurance and utilities are the two greatest expense increases hitting our budget.

Electricity - Energy in the Virgin Islands is expensive. Electric rates are an item that is beyond our control. Due to the rising costs, we are once again strongly recommending that Owners keep their sliding doors closed and their thermostats set to a steady temperature to conserve energy. Just like a refrigerator, your villa air conditioning will run most efficiently if set at a constant temperature, 70 degrees, with the doors closed. We encourage you to do your part in helping to manage our utility costs.

Maintenance Fees

Our objective, as always, during the annual September budget workshop and November budget meeting, is to keep maintenance fee increases as low as possible while ensuring the resort’s assets and Owner experience are protected. We worked very hard and evaluated every line item in the budget to look for possible savings. However, due to the cost increases discussed above, we approved a maintenance fee increase for 2022 of 5.5% on average. We felt this was necessary to maintain the strong financial viability of the Association and will ensure that resort services, amenities, and capital improvements will continue to provide us with a superior vacation experience.

Extension 5000

Just a reminder, if you have an issue during your stay, please direct concerns first to Service Express, and if you don’t obtain prompt service, leave a message on Extension 5000. This line goes directly to our General Manager and the heads of all departments.

Kids Club, Spa

The Westin Family Kids Club will reopen by mid-December, and we hope to have the Spa open in the 1st quarter.

Late Payments of Fees and Foreclosure

Our collection rate on 2021 maintenance fees is currently 95.7%. Fifty-three accounts are delinquent in paying maintenance fees and these unpaid fees fall on those who do pay in a timely manner. This loss of revenue and associated collection expenses are an additional factor in our 2022 maintenance fee increase, as the money must come from each Owner. Law changes in the Virgin Islands are making it easier to foreclose on units, but this is not a step we wish to take. We ask you to please pay your fees when due.

We are honored to serve you,

Your Board of Directors

Nancy, Jim, Carla, Bill, David, Mark and Sharon

Island Girl

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St John Westin Lagunamar Westin Desert Willow Sheraton Vistana Villages Sheraton Vistana Resort
As identified in the notification, insurance and utility costs are the two largest factors impacting the increase in maintenance fees, areas outside the control of owners and the BOD. This is also addressed in the general manager’s communication included in the 2022 annual statement/invoice.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
As identified in the notification, insurance and utility costs are the two largest factors impacting the increase in maintenance fees, areas outside the control of owners and the BOD. This is also addressed in the general manager’s communication included in the 2022 annual statement/invoice.
I assume you were referring to my CV post.
If you see the report from VGV delinquencies is a major issue on top of insurance and utility. I would have to go back a few pages and check but their increase was closer to 15%
EDIT
"We recognized that even a 14.5% budget increase, with more increases likely in the future, was not affordable for many owners." VGV newsletter

Last edited:

Island Girl

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I assume you were referring to my CV post.
If you see the report from VGV delinquencies is a major issue on top of insurance and utility. I would have to go back a few pages and check but their increase was closer to 15%
EDIT
"We recognized that even a 14.5% budget increase, with more increases likely in the future, was not affordable for many owners." VGV newsletter
My point being, delinquencies are not the primary factor in the CV maintenance fee increase.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Hoping you will offer it for free here on TUG rather than give it back.
Or even better for you, sell them. I think two weeks same unit would be very attractive

I did give away to a Tugger. I actually had a few people contact me after reading my post - even one that was willing to buy them, but I am a person of my word.

So… it has been a great 15 years, but time to move on. Hopefully this WSJ thread will be kept alive by someone for this iteration (Part 3) and beyond.
The 3 WSJ threads together are by far the most read/viewed on TUG. I am proud of that and hope it was impactful.

Enjoy.

RLS50

TUG Member
Reaction score
This might be a dumb question, but here goes.

I inquired about a Coral Vista unit thru a broker. They told me the purchase was for 74,050 Home Options. I understand the Home Options thing in the sense that I know I can only use them in the Coral Vista section.

But I asked the broker if there was a default week in that season I could be assured of each year, and just lock that in versus trying to use my Home Options to scramble to make a reservation inside my season each year. They told me No. They said I would just get Home Options and I would have to use them to try and book something within my season.

Is that correct?

The reason I ask is because last year I purchased in the Bay Vista section, and although I can convert to 125,000 Home Options to use in my season if I wanted, I have a default week (WK25) that I can just lock down every year and not have to fight over availability trying to randomly book a Week in my season each year.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I inquired about a Coral Vista unit thru a broker. They told me the purchase was for 74,050 Home Options. I understand the Home Options thing in the sense that I know I can only use them in the Coral Vista section.

But I asked the broker if there was a default week in that season I could be assured of each year, and just lock that in versus trying to use my Home Options to scramble to make a reservation inside my season each year. They told me No. They said I would just get Home Options and I would have to use them to try and book something within my season.

Is that correct?

The reason I ask is because last year I purchased in the Bay Vista section, and although I can convert to 125,000 Home Options to use in my season if I wanted, I have a default week (WK25) that I can just lock down every year and not have to fight over availability trying to randomly book a Week in my season each year.
The broker is correct.
CV and SB are pure point home option ownerships. No default week, can reserve any start date of the week and from 1-14 days in your season at 12 months. Outside your season you can reserve at 8 months. If you bought retail, the home options convert to star options at 8 months.

Bay Vista is a weeks based system where your can reserve a full week only in your season w a Friday Saturday Sunday check in. If you don't do that your ownership converts to StarOptions that can be used anywhere at 8 months (if you purchased retail)

RLS50

TUG Member
Reaction score
GrayFal,

Ahhh, got it, thanks.

How hard is it to book within your season at 12months out? Is it a rugby scrum on the night at 12am that is exactly 12 months out?

I am concerned with there being so much competition it ends up being a major headache trying to get the week we might want.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
GrayFal,

Ahhh, got it, thanks.

How hard is it to book within your season at 12months out? Is it a rugby scrum on the night at 12am that is exactly 12 months out?

I am concerned with there being so much competition it ends up being a major headache trying to get the week we might want.
What's your season?
it would be similar to any other Vistana ownership. 12 midnight for prime time. .

RLS50

TUG Member
Reaction score
I haven't bought anything yet (at CV or SB), but considering the annual MF's I would be mostly likely consider Platinum Plus (the Westin Star Options Chart)...or the Broker called this Diamond season (1-18, 51-52). I can only assume it's a different season name for Home Options?

SRG53

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
St John Coral Vista
ST. John Sunset Bay
Have always been able to book when I want to if I stay on top of dates. We book Jan /Feb

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I haven't bought anything yet (at CV or SB), but considering the annual MF's I would be mostly likely consider Platinum Plus (the Westin Star Options Chart)...or the Broker called this Diamond season (1-18, 51-52). I can only assume it's a different season name for Home Options?
Please check the home option chart for diamond season and this resort phase in general. 74K will get 5-6 nights in a studio, 2BR 7 nights is 176 ish. Seems an odd/unusual number.

Red elephant

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ
Harborside
Nanea
SDO
SVV
SBP

Is that correct?

I own coral vista and I have a specific week 16 that defaults every year that I own and a specific unit as well . I have home options of 176,700.

Crasherino

Reaction score
GrayFal,

Ahhh, got it, thanks.

FWIW, I own a BV 2 bdrm (which I bought on the secondary market). We have it every odd year and I went on line at midnight last night to book for President's Week '23. I had no problem getting a Fri-Fri unit. That is the same experience for the past 3x I've done it. Of course, there was that time about 7-8 years ago that I fell asleep and got on at 12:15am and couldn't get anything, so if you want to reserve a popular week, I would make sure to be vigilant about booking.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maint fee is considerably less in CV for the same number of points.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I own coral vista and I have a specific week 16 that defaults every year that I own and a specific unit as well . I have home options of 176,700.
You purchased a fixed time/unit. If you wanted, I believe it can float in your season ( correct me if I am wrong) But the ownership isn’t “deeded” in the same way that Bay Vista and Virgin Grand are.

Red elephant

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ
Harborside
Nanea
SDO
SVV
SBP
You purchased a fixed time/unit. If you wanted, I believe it can float in your season ( correct me if I am wrong) But the ownership isn’t “deeded” in the same way that Bay Vista and Virgin Grand are.
I am not sure how Bay Vista and Virgin Grand works but your correct .

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Well WSJ fans/readers - our deed transfer went through.

We loved our years on STJ and at WSJ with many great memories. Sad to leave, but time to move on.

Good luck to all - hopefully someone will keep the WSJ thread alive. We made real change over the years, and proud of that.