• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St John Master Thread - Part 3 [Dec. 2017 and forward]

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Holy cow!!!
I don't post or read Tug much these days....Only visiting once every 3-4 months.

This is bigger news to me then the ongoing merger thread. You know, it is sad to me that you are walking away from the place I know you guys loved so much. Your trip reports and expert know

Well WSJ fans/readers - our deed transfer went through.

We loved our years on STJ and at WSJ with many great memories. Sad to leave, but time to move on.

Good luck to all - hopefully someone will keep the WSJ thread alive. We made real change over the years, and proud of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points

We loved our years on STJ and at WSJ with many great memories. Sad to leave, but time to move on.

Good luck to all - hopefully someone will keep the WSJ thread alive. We made real change over the years, and proud of that.

I’m curious whether you’ve always been based in the Bay Area?

We live in SF and have only been to WSJ once, maybe ten years ago. We had a great time and I wouldn’t mind going back (it’s a little tricky to trade into with SOs, but not impossible) but getting there from the west coast, and back again, is SUCH a long slog that I can’t imagine owning there or doing it regularly. I always assumed that the market for WSJ owners had to be folks on the east coast, or maybe Texas. It’s even worse than flying to Hawaii from the east coast (which is also a slog) because after you finally get to STT you have the boat ride, etc. But it’s fantastic once you get there.

So I have to imagine that proximity, along with what I assume are high MFs, played a role in your decision. Actually, given what it must have cost to rebuild after the hurricane there, I’m surprised they can even get insurance, and it must make the MFs even higher. The price of paradise I guess!

Anyway, congrats on moving on from WSJ… you are savvy enough to manage to reserve through VSN, I’m sure, if you get the urge to return.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I’m curious whether you’ve always been based in the Bay Area?

We live in SF and have only been to WSJ once, maybe ten years ago. We had a great time and I wouldn’t mind going back (it’s a little tricky to trade into with SOs, but not impossible) but getting there from the west coast, and back again, is SUCH a long slog that I can’t imagine owning there or doing it regularly. I always assumed that the market for WSJ owners had to be folks on the east coast, or maybe Texas. It’s even worse than flying to Hawaii from the east coast (which is also a slog) because after you finally get to STT you have the boat ride, etc. But it’s fantastic once you get there.

So I have to imagine that proximity, along with what I assume are high MFs, played a role in your decision. Actually, given what it must have cost to rebuild after the hurricane there, I’m surprised they can even get insurance, and it must make the MFs even higher. The price of paradise I guess!

Anyway, congrats on moving on from WSJ… you are savvy enough to manage to reserve through VSN, I’m sure, if you get the urge to return.

Yes - we did live on SF Peninsula, but moved up to Sonoma Co last year (added time to get to SFO). Our new home is like a mini-resort.

We bought the 2nd adjacent week in 2009 from the owners that sold us our 1st week because 7 days was too short.
Two weeks on St John is definitely better than one.

The travel and a few other factors (huge increase in cost/hassle, no reason for forced vacations following retirement…) were our main reasons for moving on.

It was a great run. Enjoy.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Dear Fellow Owner:

The Annual Meeting of Virgin Grand Villas – St. John Condominium Owners Association was held on March 7, 2022 at the Resort.

The Board of Directors, the Resort Staff, the owners present and the Marriott Vacations Worldwide (MVW) team all thanked Phil Schrag for his 12 years of service to the Association. Phil has been a strong advocate for owners throughout his tenure and brought his legal vision and personal experience to the forefront in representing us. He has set a very high bar for current and future Board Members, as we strive to do as well and as much as he has done for all of us. Thank you, Phil.

During the Annual Meeting, General Manager Eugene Martin provided a report on the current state of operations at the Resort. Some of the highlights included:
  • Marriott Frenchman’s Reef has rebranded to the Westin Frenchman’s Reef and is scheduled to reopen in the fourth quarter of 2022. This may cause staffing opportunities. The Boards of each Association held an associate recognition and thank you event during the week of the Annual Meetings.
  • COVID-19 updates – The requirements for travel to the Virgin Islands are in the process of easing. Over the past two years, there have been over 33 executive orders issued by the U.S. Virgin Islands Government. Owners should visit the Virgin Islands website for updates as their travel dates approach.
  • The resort team is working on options to reopen Lemongrass. It is currently being utilized for breakfast seven days a week and Caribbean Buffet every Tuesday. Past events held at Lemongrass included Thanksgiving Dinner and Christmas Festival Buffet. The Board strongly urged management to have something in place before the end of the year, even if MVW needed to operate it themselves.
  • The resort team is finalizing efforts to secure a Spa operator.
  • The Westin® Family Kid’s Club is expected to reopen soon.
  • The heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) work in the villas was completed; two vendors were hired to validate the work upon completion.
  • A new recycling program is soon to kick off and the program will initially accept cans and bottles. New receptacles for recycling and garbage will be place around the pool deck and Snorkels and we ask that they be used appropriately. This initiative is part of a new program on the island.
  • We encourage owners who have not paid their annual maintenance fee to please do so. The key drivers of the 2022 fee increases are insurance, electricity and labor costs. The Board and Management Company are doing their best to manage these increases, without changing the level of service.
  • John Hilbert was elected to serve a one-year term on the Board of Directors and Bill Bolton was elected to serve a three-year term. This is the first time owner-elected directors will constitute a majority on the Board. Bill Whelihan and Mike Singley will continue to serve on the Board as Developer-appointed members.
  • Now that COVID-19 restrictions on gatherings have been modified, the resort team hopes to resume weekly Manager updates for owners in the next few weeks.
Legal Update

The Board informed the owners present that the Association, the other Associations of The Westin St. John Resort Villas, and the Developer are involved in litigation filed by Cotton International, Inc., the restoration contractor used to rebuild the resort after Hurricanes Irma and Maria. The litigation is over the gross receipts tax charged by the Government of the U.S. Virgin Islands and the case involving Virgin Grand is in the State Courts of New York. The Association has hired counsel and is working to find a satisfactory resolution. Because the case is pending, we cannot discuss any of the details or strategies, but the Board will continue to inform the owners when appropriate.

The Annual Meeting included a Question-and-Answer session. Items of interest or issues requiring follow up included the following:
  • Discussion about the process followed by the Nominating Committee to propose candidates for election to the Board. The current Board structure is recommended in the by-laws. The Board has asked the Management Company to assist in completing a review of the by-laws.
  • Golf carts cannot be driven by owners or resort guests due to both liability and insurance issues.
  • Concerns were raised over the surface of the pickleball courts. Management will gather information and report to the Board so that we can follow up.
  • Prior conversation about the access road and easements seems to be off the table. Access to Virgin Grand Estates on the hill above Virgin Grand units will not be through the resort.
The next Annual Meeting is scheduled for March 8, 2023, at the Resort.

At the request of the Management Company, we would like to share the following statement regarding the resort’s Pet Policy:

Service animals that perform work or tasks are welcome at the resort/property, but family pets are not permitted. Bringing a pet to the resort/property will result in a Room Recovery Fee. In the event we discover that you have brought a pet to the resort/property, you will be charged a Room Recovery Fee in the amount of $500 per pet, and you will be asked to take your pet to a local, third-party boarding facility. Please be aware that in some locations, misrepresenting a pet as a service animal is a misdemeanor and will result in a monetary penalty and/or imprisonment.

Should you have questions or comments on any of these, or other matters, please do not hesitate to connect with any of us.

Bill Bolton
Bill.virgingrand@gmail.com

David Futransky
David.virgingrand@gmail.com

John Hilbert
John.virgingrand@gmail.com

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
:banana:
Prior conversation about the access road and easements seems to be off the table. Access to Virgin Grand Estates on the hill above Virgin Grand units will not be through the resort.
:banana:

Mcrobot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nanea, St. John
Why were they asking for access up the hill? Is Marriott developing something up there as well?

Was also looking for WSJ guidance. We’re looking to purchase resales in the Bay Vista section. How many two bedroom and three bedroom units are available? We were looking at both, but if three bedrooms are limited we would probably focus on two bedrooms.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara

Did you give your weeks away for free and, if so, why not sell them?

Just curious, where in Sonoma did you move that is like a mini-resort? We are from the Bay Area and moved out to a small town/golf course community in between Sacramento and Truckee. I have not heard of anywhere in Sonoma that is like a mini-resort.

I totally understand the challenge of flying out of SFO once you live a few hours away. We try to fly out of Sacramento but it is often not possible without a huge expense or many connecting flights.

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Did you give your weeks away for free and, if so, why not sell them?

Just curious, where in Sonoma did you move that is like a mini-resort? We are from the Bay Area and moved out to a small town/golf course community in between Sacramento and Truckee. I have not heard of anywhere in Sonoma that is like a mini-resort.

I totally understand the challenge of flying out of SFO once you live a few hours away. We try to fly out of Sacramento but it is often not possible without a huge expense or many connecting flights.

Gave away - could have sold, but didn’t want the hassle. We bought these with disposable cash a long time ago. Anyway, saving $10,000+ per year by not going to StJ will quickly make up the small amount we could have made by selling.

The ‘mini-resort’ comment was reference to the home we bought as we remodeled pool/hot tub/deck that is all one level with our single level house (also remodeled to open concept). Luckily I found a lone-wolf contractor dedicated to our remodeling.
We are backed up against Annadel State Park, so now I can mountain bike (eMTB) from our house without having to drive somewhere. The weather here is fantastic - along with having 100s of top notch wineries and breweries all within a 20 min drive.

The Santa Rosa airport (STS) is expanding and can cheaply fly directly to Vegas and Burbank, and also Portland and Seattle. Hopefully the expansion will offer even more flights.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Gave away - could have sold, but didn’t want the hassle. We bought these with disposable cash a long time ago. Anyway, saving $10,000+ per year by not going to StJ will quickly make up the small amount we could have made by selling.

The ‘mini-resort’ comment was reference to the home we bought as we remodeled pool/hot tub/deck that is all one level with our single level house (also remodeled to open concept). Luckily I found a lone-wolf contractor dedicated to our remodeling.
We are backed up against Annadel State Park, so now I can mountain bike (eMTB) from our house without having to drive somewhere. The weather here is fantastic - along with having 100s of top notch wineries and breweries all within a 20 min drive.

The Santa Rosa airport (STS) is expanding and can cheaply fly directly to Vegas and Burbank, and also Portland and Seattle. Hopefully the expansion will offer even more flights.

your “mini-resort” sounds fantastic, pool, hot tub, and mountain biking on site! When can we all exchange in? Haha

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
your “mini-resort” sounds fantastic, pool, hot tub, and mountain biking on site! When can we all exchange in? Haha

Bring your snow shoes…
Yesterday in Sonoma Co.

69d893b4fa2e0ec9f7d8fa7a3ebee6fb.jpg

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Bring your snow shoes…
Yesterday in Sonoma Co.

69d893b4fa2e0ec9f7d8fa7a3ebee6fb.jpg

Just got back from Minneapolis visiting our son, DIL and the new grandson. It was hot and humid there. Coming home to a freezing house, we had to turn on the heater. Aye Yai Yai…
Sorry to hear that you gave away your beloved weeks. We did the same a couple years ago (before the pandemic) so I understand.

marriottdude

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC, Westin/St. Johns and Grand Vista Owner
I'm curious, does anyone know if WSJ was rebuilt after 2017 to withstand the next hurricanes that will come?

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
I’m not really sure. How strong are the winds in those scheduled to be?

DMoney

Reaction score
Hi - I'm interested in renting out [a timeshare at Westin St. John.] Are there any suggestions on best way to procure a villa during this timeframe?

[Redacted so post doesn't look like advertising.]

Last edited by a moderator:

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
Hi - I'm interested in renting out [a timeshare at Westin St. John.]. Are there any suggestions on best way to procure a villa during this timeframe?
I see at least one 3 BR at Westin St. John (Virgin Grand phase) for those dates on redweek.com. Suggest you look there.

Last edited by a moderator:

tamu_bu

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Hi - I'm interested in renting out [a timeshare at Westin St. John.] Are there any suggestions on best way to procure a villa during this timeframe?

[Redacted so post doesn't look like advertising.]
I no longer see your specifics however, go-koala is another site to check.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Bay Vista Tax Bill

Received a tax bill today for my BV unit. Very strange...shouldn't get one & it's a very small amount due.

Also received my VGV tax bill. Surprised to receive it. Haven't received it for a couple years & to receive it this early. Due August 30.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
VIRGIN GRAND VILLAS – ST. JOHN CONDOMINIUM OWNERS ASSOCIATION REPORT TO OWNERS

August 2022

Dear Fellow Owners,

The Board of Directors of Virgin Grand Villas – St. John Condominium Owners Association met on June 28, 2022. This letter will serve as a recap of the board meeting and an opportunity to share information with you about what is happening at the resort.

COVID-19 Update – As of May 22, 2022, the USVI Travel Screening Protocol was removed. As of the board meeting date, there are still restrictions on travel to and from the BVI.

The resort plans to expand the offerings at Lemongrass as the year progresses. There is currently a “Caribbean Night” every week and a second themed night will be added in August. In addition, plans are being made to offer at least two more themed nights a week. We have had 130-140 people attending the Caribbean Night each week. There continues to be a breakfast buffet and breakfast options are being continually reviewed. As of this writing, there are no negotiations with any other vendor outsourcing our food service. Snorkels continues to be open for lunch and dinner.

Negotiations are being finalized with a Spa operator and we hope that the full-service spa will be back to normal in September or October. The workout facility is fully open.

Recycling has come to St. John. There are new recycling bins that have been available for use since April. The program started at the pool area and the Main Lobby area and will expand to the outdoor villa areas.

Frenchman’s Reef on St. Thomas is being rebranded as a Westin Resort. It is scheduled to have a staged opening around the first of the year and will have an impact on the island’s labor market. The resort management team is making strong efforts to retain and support all of our team. Please thank the associates for their contributions as you see them and make them feel appreciated.

In reviewing our financial picture, we continue to have concerns about our collection rate. While we are slightly ahead of our budget forecast on maintenance fee collections, we are still below our historical rates. If you do not pay your fees, the other Association members are having to carry your costs. While recent changes to laws in the U.S. Virgin Islands may enable the Association to modify its foreclosure process to reduce the time and cost it takes to foreclose, it still takes a long time to recapture the uncollected funds. Over 370 accounts have been denied use this year. Most of these have been liened and several are in bankruptcy or foreclosure. The Association currently owns over 20-unit weeks and has an agreement with the Developer to repurchase foreclosed unit weeks. However, the Association does not necessarily collect all of the past due maintenance fees. If you find that you are considering not keeping your ownership interest, please consider contacting 866-682-4547 or email Resale.Operations@mvwc.com to discuss surrendering your deed in lieu of a collection action.

We are keeping a close eye on our replacement schedule and inflation is hitting our island home as hard or harder than it is hitting mainland US. Supply chain issues continue to make procurement of necessary supplies difficult, although management is doing its best to deal with these issues. When we do have significant items on our reserve schedule, we are seeing larger than forecast impacts of inflation. We are doing what we can to manage these expenses and will do all we can to maintain the level of service and amenities we all expect.

The construction of permanent walls in buildings 41 and 42 are scheduled for the weeks that units are not in service. We hope that all of the construction will be finished in early 2023.

There is one board seat up for election for a three-year term at the next annual meeting. John Hilbert has served a one-year term as of March and is eligible to run again. Watch your email in late September for information on applications for this seat. The nominating committee reviews applications and interviews candidates who may then be placed on the ballot for the annual meeting next March.

The board holds its next meeting and budget workshop in September, and your owner-elected Board of Directors will report to you after that session.

William Bolton (Bill)
Bill.virgingrand@gmail.com

David Futransky
David.virgingrand@gmail.com

John F. Hilbert
John.virgingrand@gmail.com

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Code for MFs going to increase yet again.

Last edited:

Mcrobot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nanea, St. John
When owners are denied use due to lack of payment, can the homeowners association rent out their week to recoup costs? Seems like a good way to keep revenue coming in while they foreclose.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
When owners are denied use due to lack of payment, can the homeowners association rent out their week to recoup costs? Seems like a good way to keep revenue coming in while they foreclose.

See the email addresses at bottom of HOA letter — email them and ask them directly and succinctly.
That is your best bet to get a correct answer to whether or not the MFs are paid back to the HOA when week is obtained by Vistana during foreclosure (or non-payment).

I recall (from long time ago) - if used by Starwood (Vistana) they paid the HOA fee, but kept profit if rented out. If not rented - HOA is not reimbursed and all compliant owners take up the loss revenue.

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
They can also sell them. That's how we got our 3BR EOY pool villa for $11,000. Family members love it.