• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westgate Park City questions

gores95

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a chance to get a Westgate PC 1BR (full kitchen) annual during “ski season” for very cheap. MF is just under $1,200. Never been to this resort but I heard good things. Few questions for those of you familiar with this resort and TS company. Does anyone know what dates fall into ski season? I already own a Marriott in Aruba and I know that our unit has a specific view does Westgate also have different views that I should be asking about? Also as a resell buyer how tough will it be to get a ski week I want using Westgate? Just in case I don’t want to use a week are you allowed to rent or trade (II?) your week like we do with Marriott? Last question are there two different types of 1BR timeshares at Westgate PC? They told me it has a full kitchen, 1 king bed and one sleeper sofa and sleeps 4.

Thanks for all the help. Always wanted a ski TS so I hope this property is worth it!

Marc

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Westgate severely restricts resale. You may be in trouble trying to book a prime date. The thread below discusses those restrictions.

jlp879

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I recently reviewed a two bedroom unit here: https://tug2.com/timeshare-resort/r...ark-City-Resort-and-Spa-Park-City-UT&ID=14458

TLDR :D We really enjoyed it!

Have you skied at Park City Mountain Resort before?

I ask because to me the timeshare location is important. Westgate Park City is located at the Canyons base. Other, older timeshares (and both Marriotts} are located in the town of Park City. I'm partial to the in town location, especially if you have a non-skier in your party.

However, that being said, I did enjoy the Westgate timeshare. The 2 bedroom unit we had was very nicely appointed and I would take an exchange there again for a ski trip.

I can't help you in terms of actually using a Westgate week, but I did see that by being in a 2 bedroom lockoff, you would have the larger side with the full kitchen. The unit is spacious. There is no view designation. All the units either look up the mountain or down the mountain, so really all mountain view.

I think you would be wise to get your hands on the use documents before taking this week, especially if it floats in ski season. Sure, a fixed week would be a no-brainer, but how do you, as a lowly resale owner, actually make your reservation for a winter ski week? Once you have the answer to that question, then further contemplate the purchase.

gores95

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks to both of you for your response. I will try to get my hands on the document but if they bought it from the developer it may not say anything about resale purchasers trying to book weeks. This is a ski floating season so no fixed week. Does anyone know of a phone number for Westgate that I can ask this question?

gores95

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also just received this from the seller as for expected closing costs:

The following costs are in addition to the purchase price:
Closing $350.00 without title insurance or $600.00 with title insurance.
Resort transfer $150.00
Admin $99.00

You all would recommend title insurance right? Are the closing fees as a whole reasonable? Thanks.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
My understanding is Westgate won't provide you any information until you are an owner. They won't provide resale info to current owner because it doesn't apply to them. If you are very persistent they will grudgingly admit that resale owners at that resort are restricted from reserving until 60 days prior to check in. I don't know if any good weeks would be available at that time as non resale owners can book 12 months in advance. I haven't talked to anyone who bought a float week at that resort to see if they actually follow that restriction so it may or may not apply. The MF's are too high for me to want to pull the trigger knowing that I could end up with the left overs. I don't recall off the top of my head what the platinum ski weeks are. There are fixed weeks for 7,51, and 52 but I heard Westgate exercises ROFR for those unless they are sold fairly high.

jlp879

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is an older thread where a person was gifted an every other year (EOY) ski week timeshare at Westgate Park City. https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/2018-help-i-feel-like-i’ve-been-scammed-by-westgate.283866/

If I read between the lines, it looks like you can book 11 months ahead of time, as long as MF are prepaid. However, I would want this verified before proceeding.

Your week choices are 1-6, 8-15, and 47-50. You want to have some certainty that you can get some good ski weeks in there. How will your float week be alloted to you? This is important information to know before you proceed. Maybe ParkCityShare (other thread's OP) has some information on that.

The only value of this timeshare is use during ski season or renting it out on your own. Check out Redweek ads to see what rental values are.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
..I have a chance to get a Westgate PC 1BR (full kitchen) annual during “ski season” for very cheap. MF is just under $1,200. Never been to this resort but I heard good things. Few questions for those of you familiar with this resort and TS company.
Thanks for all the help. Always wanted a ski TS so I hope this property is worth it!
Marc

Hi Marc,
As you likely know - Park City Utah - is a prime winter location / and it is hard to get .

If your all in cost is low enough for you to feel comfortable - this could be a real winner .
Here is my two cents - on the risk / reward .

1) If you decide after trying to use it - that it is not for you - Westgate has a deed back program
that cost you about $1000 ( ie - 1 years MF) and I am sure Westgate would be happy to get it back .

2) Janice / jlp879 - has used it recently , and gives a good review of the property and location .

3) I believe that she is correct . You can book 11 months out . Functionally - this means that if
MF was paid Jan 2020 - you would be booking Jan 2021 (weeks1-4) starting next week (Feb1)
It is possible that - due to the acquisition time line that 2021 booking will be complicated for you ; unless the
existing owner does this (now) for you .After year one - (IMO) - reserving a ski week should work ok / as long as you call the day the booking window opens etc .(like every other owner )

4) based on my reading of TUG Westgate info threads - Westgate will :
A) restrict you ability to use elsewhere in the Westgate system by upcharging - ( who cares - you want Park City / if you want to go to Orlando - there are plenty of options )
B) - restrict your ability to change seasons or unit size ( who cares - this really only matters if you thought a resale summer week Westgate Park City would allow you to ski or thought a studio could be upgraded to a 1 bedroom)
C) - possibly charge you more as a resale owner to deposit into II for exchange purposes (who cares - you are buying to use during ski season)

IF - you are comfortable with all of the above & knowing it can be deeded back - you may have found a great deal

my information is from reading most of the TUG Westgate threads - including the one RX8 did the link to.
as you know Westgate is not the most loved system on TUG / so you have to evaluate this for yourself .

FYI - a family member just left Park City . He was there for the Sundance Film Festival.
(He is not a skier) . He said that can be a good ski week - since many who are in town / and it is fully booked
are going to movies - therefore shorter lift lines for skiers .

Last edited:

gores95

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I took a pass on this one there were just too many uncertainties and Westgate's bad reputation with resale owners turned me off. Really thought I was finally getting an awesome deal for a ski week but buyer beware in this case. I will continue to look...lots of great ski TS's in PC!

Reaction score
I am late finding this thread:

Ski weeks are generally thanksgiving to tax day
Fixed weeks are 7, 51, 52
Resales can book at 11 months, just like developer sales
Booking Feb-March ski weeks require booking at exactly 11 months
There are no view choices and most are at Bear or Elk buildings, randomly given based on availability
Check-in is Friday or Saturday or Sunday
Trading within Westgate will probably be a down trade as Park City is the best one
Banking, cancelling fees are generally higher for resales than developer sales

Westgate corporate does have a bad reputation, BUT this resort is awesome.

If you plan on skiing, this is great value, but I would NOT buy to rent, but you can do it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Last question are there two different types of 1BR timeshares at Westgate PC?

I am pretty sure these are the two

The Signature one bedroom at 680 sq feet and they are the original 2001 Bear and Elk buildings

The Luxury one bedroom are 750 sq feet and they are the Moose and Bison buildings that were built as full ownership condos in 2008 and then some were converted to timeshares when the recession hit.

The both are very nice, but I prefer the original Elk and Bear buildings as they closer and have less walking to the ski lifts

oneohana

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was looking to trade into Park City during ski season. The 1 bedroom unit says it has no dining table and chairs. Is this too small for a family with 2 teenagers?
Do they charge resort fees to traders?

jlp879

TUG Member
Reaction score
If the description you are reading says no dining table or chairs, then you are likely seeing the lock-off/studio portion as an exchange. It is indeed considered a one bedroom because the bedroom has a door on it, unlike Marriott lock-offs and it does sleep 4 but it does not have a full kitchen or a dining table.

It is indeed a very functional studio, but for 4 people, including 2 teens, you better plan on skiing/being outside all day and love each very much!

Reaction score
I was looking to trade into Park City during ski season. The 1 bedroom unit says it has no dining table and chairs. Is this too small for a family with 2 teenagers?
Do they charge resort fees to traders?

It will be a tight fit as it is almost impossible to walk to the front door when the sleeper sofa is opened. With two teens, I would get a full 1 bedroom with full kitchen and dining room and that would be far superior.

grupp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Reviving a somewhat old thread, but I just picked up a 2 bedroom ski week at Westgate PC for $1 plus the closing fees. Throughout the entire closing process and transfer, Westgate never once responded to any of the communications from the closing company. I guess they only exception to that was did send a letter saying they were exercising there ROFR, but it was so late that the deed had already been recorded in my name and submitted to them to process the ownership transfer. The entire process took about 5 months.

I plan on using this week for myself or my kids every year and do not intend to trade it internally or with an exchange company. I am also able to reserve my week 11 months prior to check-in.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Reviving a somewhat old thread, but I just picked up a 2 bedroom ski week at Westgate PC for $1 plus the closing fees. Throughout the entire closing process and transfer, Westgate never once responded to any of the communications from the closing company. I guess they only exception to that was did send a letter saying they were exercising there ROFR, but it was so late that the deed had already been recorded in my name and submitted to them to process the ownership transfer. The entire process took about 5 months.

I plan on using this week for myself or my kids every year and do not intend to trade it internally or with an exchange company. I am also able to reserve my week 11 months prior to check-in.
That is good news. Have you actually been able to reserve for 2022 at 11 months?

jlp879

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you scored a deal! Let us know how booking goes. Westgate has a reputation for treating resale owners poorly. You may have snuck past the gate.

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
$1 is hard to beat, no question. But I would (and did) pay extra to buy at high quality resorts like Marriott Mountainside and Summit Watch where the proximity to PCMR is just as good, they are located at Old Town which is close to the great shops & restaurants, and MVC treats their resale owners as first class citizens.

Having said that, congrats on getting a 2BR ski-in/out lodging at a fantastic price

Reaction score
$1 is hard to beat, no question. But I would (and did) pay extra to buy at high quality resorts like Marriott Mountainside and Summit Watch where the proximity to PCMR is just as good, they are located at Old Town which is close to the great shops & restaurants, and MVC treats their resale owners as first class citizens.

Having said that, congrats on getting a 2BR ski-in/out lodging at a fantastic price

Well, I think Westgate Park City is as much "high quality" or even more high quality than the two Marriotts in Park City, although I agree that MVC treats their resale owners better than Westgate, however it is 100% easier to book a Westgate ski week at 11 months than it is a Marriott at 12 months as the 2-week owners have a head start. In fact, the situation is so bad at Marriott booking a Feb-March ski week and getting sold out within 5 minutes of the 12 month mark, I decided NOT to buy a Marriott ski week for that single reason.

Mountainside is the best location of all, but super dead there at night and the Summit Watch is great for main street locations, but the old town lift is not for everyone.

I personally think Westgate Park City is a great resort, very good location, great free parking, nice pools, spa, fantastic steak house, and great skier services, but agree that the Westgate system has a lot issues. If you only want to ski here and use it for that, this again is an amazing bargain. In the past, they had daily housekeeping for everyone without extra charges and I have never seen that at any timeshare, but with covid it is once per visit.

One other thing, the Westgate Park City annual dues has risen much faster than the competing Marriotts and will probably never slow down.

sng85

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld
HGVC Sunrise Lodge
Four Seasons Aviara
Teton Club
Based on the posts on TUG about the loss of privileges for resale owners, it sounds like the only Westgate Park City that are worth buying are the fixed weeks. These appear to be on 51, 52, and week 7.
Were any other ski weeks sold as fixed weeks?
What's a fair price for a 1 bedroom fixed week at Westgate Park City?
Thinking about buying a ski week in Park City and looking for some input.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Based on the posts on TUG about the loss of privileges for resale owners, it sounds like the only Westgate Park City that are worth buying are the fixed weeks. These appear to be on 51, 52, and week 7.
Were any other ski weeks sold as fixed weeks?
What's a fair price for a 1 bedroom fixed week at Westgate Park City?
Thinking about buying a ski week in Park City and looking for some input.
Go back and read the thread throughly and study the chart DrQ posted showing Park City Westgate seasons.
it is # 15 in the linked thread @jlp879 posted
Here is an older thread where a person was gifted an every other year (EOY) ski week timeshare at Westgate Park City. https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/2018-help-i-feel-like-i’ve-been-scammed-by-westgate.283866/
Your week choices are 1-6, 8-15, and 47-50. You want to have some certainty that you can get some good ski weeks in there....
The only value of this timeshare is use during ski season or renting it out on your own.

I believe what I posted a year ago is correct for a SKI SEASON week I am reposting a shortened version below.
[ I am not an owner however]

Last edited:

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
[QUOTE="T-Dot-Traveller, post: 2388426, member: 82356"
Hi Marc,
As you likely know - Park City Utah - is a prime winter location / and it is hard to get .

If your all in cost is low enough for you to feel comfortable - this could be a real winner .
Here is my two cents - on the risk / reward ........

2) Janice / jlp879 - has used it recently , and gives a good review of the property and location .

3) I believe that she is correct . You can book 11 months out . Functionally - this means that if
MF was paid Jan 2020 - you would be booking Jan 2021 (weeks1-4) starting next week (Feb1)
It is possible that - due to the acquisition time line that 2021 booking will be complicated for you ; unless the
existing owner does this (now) for you .After year one - (IMO) - reserving a ski week should work ok / as long as you call the day the booking window opens etc .(like every other owner )

A) restrict you ability to use elsewhere in the Westgate system by upcharging - ( who cares - you want Park City / if you want to go to Orlando - there are plenty of options )
B) - restrict your ability to change seasons or unit size ( who cares - this really only matters if you thought a resale summer week Westgate Park City would allow you to ski or thought a studio could be upgraded to a 1 bedroom)
C) - possibly charge you more as a resale owner to deposit into II for exchange purposes (who cares - you are buying to use during ski season)

IF - you are comfortable with all of the above & knowing it can be deeded back - you may have found a great deal
[/QUOTE]

sng85

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld
HGVC Sunrise Lodge
Four Seasons Aviara
Teton Club
[QUOTE="T-Dot-Traveller, post: 2388426, member: 82356"
Hi Marc,

Here is my two cents - on the risk / reward ........

[/QUOTE]
Thanks @T-Dot-Traveller, I read through everything and to be honest, it's confusing and there's still uncertainty on how Westgate will actually treat resale ownership (you only really know once you buy!). It sounds like resale owners at Westgate Park City should still be able to book 11 months out, assuming MFs are paid, but what if they don't?

Based on that I concluded that the safest weeks to buy are the fixed weeks. Was just curious how "discounted" the fixed weeks get, given that the floating weeks appear to be going for nothing due to the weakened resale ownership and uncertainty.

Alternatively, probably best to just stay clear of Westgate Park City and pay the premium for Marriott, HGVC, etc.

Reaction score
I read through everything and to be honest, it's confusing and there's still uncertainty on how Westgate will actually treat resale ownership (you only really know once you buy!). It sounds like resale owners at Westgate Park City should still be able to book 11 months out, assuming MFs are paid, but what if they don't?

Based on that I concluded that the safest weeks to buy are the fixed weeks. Was just curious how "discounted" the fixed weeks get, given that the floating weeks appear to be going for nothing due to the weakened resale ownership and uncertainty.

Alternatively, probably best to just stay clear of Westgate Park City and pay the premium for Marriott, HGVC, etc.

Honestly, I dont care if anyone buys at Westgate Park City or not as I dont want to competition for booking great ski weeks, BUT at least post the facts and truth.

Resale ski week owners (i.e. 1 bedroom ski week) can BOOK any ski week (1 bedroom ski week) at 11 months (other than the fixed 7, 51, 52) once they are a member and there is no restrictions for that.

Fixed weeks are not necessarily safer if you want to ski any week other than the single fixed week (7, 51, 52) and those weeks are mega crowded in Park City.

Currently there are great bargains for Marriott Park City, BUT those are HARD to book at 12 months out as you are competing against the double week owners that book at 13 months. Marriotts are not priced as a premium over Westgate, in fact their annual dues are much less. However, this thread is based on a $1 resale for Westgate and I personally think it will get snatched in ROFR, but would buy it for sure at that price.

HGVC is awesome (probably the best in Park City), but there are NO BARGAINS out there resale and they sell super fast. Also, it is a fantastic resort, but a longer walk to the gondola and orange bubble lift than Westgate. Also, they book fast at 12 months out too as there is not too many units there.