• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Vistana, Westin & Sheraton Deedback program

kc1001

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana Villages
The same unit with the same maint fee in a platinum week gets 81K star options. Essentially someone would be paying the exact same thing for less star options. I’d put it on the market for free and let someone else have it if you wanted to get out of ownership.

I don't know what a Platinum Week is, per se, but I understand what you're saying. Another thought is to pay the MF, exchange with II, combine all of the points from 2020 & 2021 with the points from 2022, and take a nice trip somewhere before the end of the year (since 2020 points expire this year). Then do a deedback, since there will be no 2022 usage, and won't be getting anything for it anyway. I can tell a lot of people are not huge fans of the dealing with the company rather than giving to other timesharers, but is this also a viable option? Would there be any repercussions to doing this? Thank you.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I don't know what a Platinum Week is, per se, but I understand what you're saying. Another thought is to pay the MF, exchange with II, combine all of the points from 2020 & 2021 with the points from 2022, and take a nice trip somewhere before the end of the year (since 2020 points expire this year). Then do a deedback, since there will be no 2022 usage, and won't be getting anything for it anyway. I can tell a lot of people are not huge fans of the dealing with the company rather than giving to other timesharers, but is this also a viable option? Would there be any repercussions to doing this? Thank you.
I always say give it away if you can. Why give it back to the company so they can sell it to someone else for a ridiculous amount of money? Put your TS up for adoption. I’m sure someone would love to take it into their family lol

Mauiwmn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Do you know if this program is still running?
I do believe it is still running. Here is a contact at Marriott that can advise if your unit/resort is on their current Deedback lists.

Ana R. Thrower
Resale Manager
RESALE OPERATIONS

T
866-682-4547
9002 San Marco Ct
Orlando, FL 32819
mvwc.com

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Do you know if this program is still running?
did you try to call the number in the first post? we have not heard the program has ended.

WorldTraveler1972

TUG Member
Reaction score
[Moderator Note: Post edited/content deleted because the TUG Rules do not allow ads or ad-like posts in the public forums. You may click on "Start a conversation" under any User Names to the right of any posts to contact them via direct message.] <-- SueDonJ

Last edited by a moderator:

mauivistana

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Westin Nanea Ocean Villas
Well, I am a relatively new owner at The Westin Nanea Ocean Villas in Maui (July 2022). Ended up with a contract for 163,00 StarOptions per year in the flex program. About $60,000.

We've not had a great first few months trying to utilize bonus options, and our trip back to Maui next Feb only provided us a resort view option - nothing facing the beach. Today, received a 2023 maintenance invoice, due Sept 28, for $3,550 (for 2023 maintenance.) Our 'official' start date isn't until January 2023, so we weren't expecting this so soon.

It's turning out to be a science to maximize the value of all of this, and while I'm sure we could spend a lot of time becoming PhD's in timeshare value maximization, I think we just want to sell the thing and be done with it.

I understand to use the deedback program, we'd have to pay off the property and those 2023 maintenance charges - which we could do on a short-term basis. With the deedback program, do they give you the full value of the resort, market value, or what? (Supposedly, The Westin Nanea Ocean Villas is thier 'premier' property...)

Need advice...

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Well, I am a relatively new owner at The Westin Nanea Ocean Villas in Maui (July 2022). Ended up with a contract for 163,00 StarOptions per year in the flex program. About $60,000.

We've not had a great first few months trying to utilize bonus options, and our trip back to Maui next Feb only provided us a resort view option - nothing facing the beach. Today, received a 2023 maintenance invoice, due Sept 28, for $3,550 (for 2023 maintenance.) Our 'official' start date isn't until January 2023, so we weren't expecting this so soon.

It's turning out to be a science to maximize the value of all of this, and while I'm sure we could spend a lot of time becoming PhD's in timeshare value maximization, I think we just want to sell the thing and be done with it.

I understand to use the deedback program, we'd have to pay off the property and those 2023 maintenance charges - which we could do on a short-term basis. With the deedback program, do they give you the full value of the resort, market value, or what? (Supposedly, The Westin Nanea Ocean Villas is thier 'premier' property...)

Need advice...
Deedback program usually gives you back $0.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Yes if you do a deed back you get nothing from the developer. You are simply letting them take it back. You can contact a broker (ideally specializing in Marriott and Vistana) to see how much you can get if they sell it for you but I have a feeling your cut would be 10-20% of what you paid.

kozykritter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Flex, MVC Points, Worldmark

Need advice...
Nanea with its Home Options is mainly considered like a Flex product and all of those do their maintenance fee invoicing in August for the following years usage. Nice surprise for you, eh?

You might want to book into the Westin Kaanapali North next door because all of their units face towards the water even if they're all the way back in the courtyard. I was up in the very corner near where the front desk area is and I could go out of my balcony, look right and still see the sunset over the water all the way at the other end of the courtyard. The sky and the water were beautiful!

Since Nanea isn't a mandatory property, when you resell it, the new owner only gets the right to go to Nanea and none of the other Vistana properties except if you exchange through Interval international and pay all the fees. Due to this fact it's unlikely you'll come away with more than 10 to 20% of your purchase price like someone else mentioned.

I know it's probably overwhelming right now and seems like a lot of work but you happened to buy in during a big transition in the program where we are all feeling kind of stressed and overwhelmed with the information. I suggest you give it some time to settle and I think you'll come to realize that your purchase will give you quite a few opportunities to travel to some great properties through both timeshare systems plus II.

tomvc

TUG Member
Reaction score

Need advice...

Given your sunk cost, I recommend learning to use your timeshare. With the rollout of Abound, there are many more possibilities.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Given your sunk cost, I recommend learning to use your timeshare. With the rollout of Abound, there are many more possibilities.
I am always surprised the people willing to pay off their loan only to be able to give the timeshare back. THe best way to take advantage of the money spent is to use the product that was purchased.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
So many people deeded back Sheraton Broadway Plantation. I would have liked to have the opportunity to buy those weeks for real money. Deeding back is a big mistake for anything Westin/ Sheraton. There is a value to those that people will pay.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
So many people deeded back Sheraton Broadway Plantation. I would have liked to have the opportunity to buy those weeks for real money. Deeding back is a big mistake for anything Westin/ Sheraton. There is a value to those that people will pay.
I don’t think I’d really want to keep a WDW or WMH summer week. High MF and low points with little rental value.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
I deeded back a SDO 1bdrm. No takers even when tried to give it away. I agree that many are just giving their units back at this point.
Marriott also introduced HRC Deedback program.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I deeded back a SDO 1bdrm. No takers even when tried to give it away. I agree that many are just giving their units back at this point.
Marriott also introduced HRC Deedback program.
Where did you try and give the SDO week away?

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Right before Covid hit, I deeded back a Hyatt Key West week and a Westin Princeville week. I thought MVC gave me good prices for both. In fact, they gave me a little more than I paid for the Princeville week. I had a week 51/52 week so I guess it was valuable to them.

I tried to sell the Hyatt week on Redweek myself as well as through that Hyatt resale salesperson who sold it to me, but he said I would get very little for the Hyatt week. I lost trust in him because when he sold it to me, he said it was worth X. Then when he was trying to re-sell it for me, he said it was worth Y and only a few months had passed. For the Hyatt week, even though I posted it for a good price, I had no takers. That is another reason I was overjoyed MVC bought it from me for almost what I paid.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
@mauivistana:

Welcome to TUG:
Given the amount you have paid, you need to put in the effort to learn how to use it. It is not as hard to learn the program as you may be imagining right now. Stick around, ask questions, and plan how you are going to use your ownership in 2023 and beyond. You were only able to get resort view because by July/Aug, other Nanea owners had already booked the ocean front/ocean view units. But, if you keep checking, there may be a cancellation. (People cancel all the time, make it a daily habit to keep checking.)
When you stay in your wonderful accommodations during your next vacation, you will be enjoying what you purchased.

Last edited:

Mauiwmn

TUG Member
Reaction score

Need advice...
After owning our Westin timeshares for 16 years, we sold all 7 weeks this past year. Marriott does offer money for some deedback weeks or you can try to sell weeks or flex points with value on Redweek, TUG or through a broker like Syed with Advantage Vacations which is in Maui. Worth a few calls to see what your options are. Nanea is a gorgeous resort but time sharing does require knowledge (TUG) and flexibility.

Princeville-Could not resell. Marriott deedback paid $6,500 for annual 2 bedroom

Maui-South-OFC- Sold with Syed ~$35,000 and $33,000 each. Marriott deedback offered ~$15,000 I believe.

Kierland-Plat 2 bedrooms-$14,000, sold via Syed as they had value-Mandatory

I have family that deeded back Sheraton Avon Park 1 bedrm gold season for 0 dollars. The high MF were to much for the 44,000 options and it had zero resale value. They owned for 15 years and got their use out of it.

So, you have several options:
1. learn how to better utilize what you own
2. resale on open market
3. ask Marriott what their deedback offer is on what you own
4. rent out your week

Good Luck!

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar

Need advice...
Any updates on your plight after many posters took their time to give you the advice you sought?

dnewman

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas
After owning our Westin timeshares for 16 years, we sold all 7 weeks this past year. Marriott does offer money for some deedback weeks or you can try to sell weeks or flex points with value on Redweek, TUG or through a broker like Syed with Advantage Vacations which is in Maui. Worth a few calls to see what your options are. Nanea is a gorgeous resort but time sharing does require knowledge (TUG) and flexibility.

Princeville-Could not resell. Marriott deedback paid $6,500 for annual 2 bedroom

Maui-South-OFC- Sold with Syed ~$35,000 and $33,000 each. Marriott deedback offered ~$15,000 I believe.

Kierland-Plat 2 bedrooms-$14,000, sold via Syed as they had value-Mandatory

I have family that deeded back Sheraton Avon Park 1 bedrm gold season for 0 dollars. The high MF were to much for the 44,000 options and it had zero resale value. They owned for 15 years and got their use out of it.

So, you have several options:
1. learn how to better utilize what you own
2. resale on open market
3. ask Marriott what their deedback offer is on what you own
4. rent out your week

Good Luck!
Hi there, Thanks for this info. Any thoughts about why you could not resell Princeville? How long ago did Marriott pay for your deedback? I also have two - two bedrooms there.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
Hi there, Thanks for this info. Any thoughts about why you could not resell Princeville? How long ago did Marriott pay for your deedback? I also have two - two bedrooms there.
Due to it being a voluntary resort (Staroptions do not transfer with sale) there is little to no market for resale at Princeville and now on top of that Marriott have assigned it a very low value in the Abound system. It really only appeals to buyers who only want to go to Princeville and even then it has relatively high maintenance fees.

RipJones

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
While my wife and I are not quite ready to get rid of our week, we do own a Gold Plus week, at Sheraton Broadway Plantation. We are heading there for an "Explorer Package" I had really forgotten about, the week of Thanksgiving. They are going to try to sell us on the new and improved Marriott "offering". If you are truly interested, respond back, and we can "chat" after we get back. Rip

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Due to it being a voluntary resort (Staroptions do not transfer with sale) there is little to no market for resale at Princeville and now on top of that Marriott have assigned it a very low value in the Abound system. It really only appeals to buyers who only want to go to Princeville and even then it has relatively high maintenance fees.

So strange - it is a beautiful resort (on cliffs) in a great location with fantastic views - close to everything in North Kauai (from Kapaa to Ke’e) and few minutes from Hanalei, Anini, Tunnels, Secret Beaches.

There are very few beach front villas in North Kauai - yet people seemed surprised (?) - perhaps they are comparing to WKORV S/N?

We enjoy our EOY WPORV stays (and to date have gotten OV Villas - going in June then Sheraton Poipu for a week (replacing of WSJ/STJ weeks).

Not sure why the poor name?
MFs are certainly too high - and HI Tax schemes on vacationers rampant (Maui as well) - but still the negativity?

Seems like most reviews are good - except the “Shock” that it is not in a beach. Princeville TS Villas on a Beach? Hilarious….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk