• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Upgrading with SPG or cash at WKORV

Moparman42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas x2
I am heading to WKORV next month on an explorer program, and was trying to find anywhere that shows how much it would cost (in cash or SPG) points to upgrade to a one bedroom. I am not inept at searches, yet can find nothing. Anybody have any insight?

Also, I am trying to find a, SPG point menu that they offer that shows point costs for amenities such as breakfast, massages, etc... does anybody have one of those handy?

I figured, 50k points for the explorer package update, I can afford to spend a little as well.

Michael D. Headrick

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
They wouldn't upgrade me for any number of points, cash only. IIRC it was pretty expensive, 200+ per night I think.

duke

TUG Member
Reaction score
The minimum NEW CASH to any deal for an Ocean Front unit is $75k.
Didn't look at one bdr.
However, look at Redweek and you can see how much you can just purchase a resale one bdr.

Maui_ed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WPORV, WKORV, WDW
@duke - I think the OP was talking about upgrading an existing room reservation using points and cash, not looking to purchase.

Moparman42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
that is correct. existing stay in a studio, but would like to get the one bedroom instead so we have some sort of privacy to my aunt sleeping on the couch.. lol

Besides, I already own at Nanea and this is just an extra vacation week using the explorer package that I fell for.

so, just one week, existing stay, not a new timeshare purchase.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was able to upgrade a studio explorer room for cash. I know I said that already, but I forgot to mention you can pay your bill (including the upgrade charge) with Star Starpoints. While it isn't the best use of them, if you have a bunch with no plans it isn't terrible either. You won't have the 50k from your explorer in time to use them, however.

Moparman42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I was able to upgrade a studio explorer room for cash. I know I said that already, but I forgot to mention you can pay your bill (including the upgrade charge) with Star Starpoints. While it isn't the best use of them, if you have a bunch with no plans it isn't terrible either. You won't have the 50k from your explorer in time to use them, however.

good point. I DO have plans for them, but have almost 150k now and won;t need that many for my plans, plus the 50k I will get.. so that may be a good option... appreciate the reminder about that.

going to the Cove Atlantis for our 10th Anniversary next november, lots of time and lots of points to gain. Although my earn will be less come August .. ='(

Maui_ed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WPORV, WKORV, WDW
good point. I DO have plans for them, but have almost 150k now and won;t need that many for my plans, plus the 50k I will get.. so that may be a good option... appreciate the reminder about that.

going to the Cove Atlantis for our 10th Anniversary next november, lots of time and lots of points to gain. Although my earn will be less come August .. ='(
Don't forget about the American Airlines promotion that provides additional air miles when transferring Starpoints into the AA program. These promotions occur usually twice a year, and are a great way to stretch your Starpoints.

cindylou

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV - 2 DOF, 2 OF
Sheraton Lakeside Terrace Villas at Mountain Vista - 2 winter, 1 summer, 1 shoulder
Don't forget about the American Airlines promotion that provides additional air miles when transferring Starpoints into the AA program. These promotions occur usually twice a year, and are a great way to stretch your Starpoints.

Maui_ed - could you please provide more data on the AA promotion and where/when it is published? I'm aware of the 20% bonus for most of the SPG transfers to FF programs, but does AA do something even better?

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maui_ed - could you please provide more data on the AA promotion and where/when it is published? I'm aware of the 20% bonus for most of the SPG transfers to FF programs, but does AA do something even better?

The airline-specific promos are usually on top of the 20% bonus from SPG to the FF programs...

Maui_ed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WPORV, WKORV, WDW
YYJMSP has it right. If you transfer 20,000 Starpoints to AA, Starwood adds 5,000, and AA adds another 5,000 so that you end up with 30,000 miles for a 20,000 point deposit. This promotion usually happens a couple of times a year.

Maui_ed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WPORV, WKORV, WDW
American Airlines usually has an announcement on their website, and sends out emails announcing the program. You can almost always hear about it here on TUG within a few minutes of it being announced. FlyerTalk and several other places also announce it.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
YYJMSP has it right. If you transfer 20,000 Starpoints to AA, Starwood adds 5,000, and AA adds another 5,000 so that you end up with 30,000 miles for a 20,000 point deposit. This promotion usually happens a couple of times a year.

Actually, AA adds 6,250 miles so you end up with 31,250 miles and the 25% promo lasts only until May 31.