• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Update on Wyndham's position on use of guest certificates 2020

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
the back and forth is not necessary, should someone feel they have been wronged by another member they can report it.

grey678

TUG Member
Reaction score
You are not mentioning we are owners too and not able to travel and pay far more than the one week owner. We were told when we purchased they would buy back your time when
not able to use iot. Fat chance of that, if they did you would not have people renting out their time. This should be fair for all parties, Yes I do feek a class action suite might
have some results, Wyndham has lost previously...... I would like to see the HOA address this.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
You are not mentioning we are owners too and not able to travel and pay far more than the one week owner. We were told when we purchased they would buy back your time when
not able to use iot. Fat chance of that, if they did you would not have people renting out their time. This should be fair for all parties, Yes I do feek a class action suite might
have some results, Wyndham has lost previously...... I would like to see the HOA address this.

Suing because you could not use your timeshare during COVID is unlikely to yield any results as Wyndham was following the rules local governments also put in place. Also they relaxed or waived numerous policies to accommodate owners. You didn’t lose use of those points as they extended the deadline to move them forward to the end of your use year. You can still use them this year, next year, or the year after that. They did all they could to salvage your usage. Now if you want to sue because they told you that they would buy back your unused usage (which you still have the opportunity to use), good luck with that. Unless you have something in writing you have no proof. No proof means no win. Your lawyer still charges you legal fees and you walk away with nothing except a lighter wallet.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Suing because you could not use your timeshare during COVID is unlikely to yield any results as Wyndham was following the rules local governments also put in place. Also they relaxed or waived numerous policies to accommodate owners. You didn’t lose use of those points as they extended the deadline to move them forward to the end of your use year. You can still use them this year, next year, or the year after that. They did all they could to salvage your usage. Now if you want to sue because they told you that they would buy back your unused usage (which you still have the opportunity to use), good luck with that. Unless you have something in writing you have no proof. No proof means no win. Your lawyer still charges you legal fees and you walk away with nothing except a lighter wallet.

Good advice Richelle. I know you belong to several of the different Wyndham Facebook groups and we see people on them all the time crying we should sue over this or that. Good luck with that you fools is what I usually think.

I had a group of attorneys contact me 8-10 years ago. After the first call I mentioned to someone I know that I had received the call asking if we wanted to participate in the class action lawsuit this firm was organizing. The person I know knows a whole lot more about Wyndham than I ever will and has friends in management. He was horrified at first until I explained that we had no interest in joining the lawsuit and it was only a voice mail. He told me what happens when you sue Wyndham. So the next time one of the attorneys from this firm called it was when I wasn't at work and I answered the phone not knowing who was calling. I knew I was going to tell him we weren't interest but I thought I might as well ask some questions before I did that. His responses to my questions verified everything my person had told me.

Recently I read about a lawsuit that finally concluded. It was the same group of attorneys and sounded like the lawsuit we were contacted about. Out of a whole list of complaints in the lawsuit I believe there was only one that the judge didn't rule against. The one thing the judge ruled for seemed to me like it made the whole lawsuit a joke. I didn't bother to keep reading to see how much money the judge awarded because I wondered if Wyndham will appeal that one thing and win on the appeal so no one gets any money. In class action lawsuits like these it's in the agreement you sign that you are responsible for certain expenses if the lawsuit loses. And it can amount to thousands of dollars.

There's big money in class action lawsuits for the lawyers but not for the owners who participate in these lawsuits. With class action lawsuits even if you win you'll only end up with a fraction of what you paid if you bought developer. The lawsuits typically take several years, your account will likely be frozen once the suit you're participating in enters litigation and if you don't keep paying your maintenance fees even though you now can't use what you have then Wyndham will foreclose. Typically when Wyndham settles out of court they buy you out for however much and you get what's left after the lawyers take their cut, you can never own Wyndham again and you have to sign a non-disclosure agreement.

The one thing that makes Wyndham vulnerable is the laws about elder abuse. You only have to be 60 years old to count as an elder. The lesson everyone needs to learn is always get whatever the salesperson is telling you in writing and insist it be signed by corporate.

Last edited:

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am sure Wyndham and it agents have done things they could be sued for but it is knowing what things and proving it. No different then any other large company.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
The one thing that makes Wyndham vulnerable is the laws about elder abuse. You only have to be 60 years old to count as an elder. The lesson everyone needs to learn is always get whatever the salesperson is telling you in writing and insist it be signed by corporate.
[/QUOTE]
Putting whats agreed upon in writing is the most important part of a contract. Sales promise and say a lot but if its not in writing is not part of the contract. I would also suggest to read the contract and make sure all info is correct or as presented before signing.

Last edited:

Briayon

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
weeks ago we decided not to go to myrtle beach, S.C. this June and called Wyndham to see if we could get a guest certificate and give the unit to a friend. I was told that it probably will get canceled. We went ahead and requested a guest certificate, it was granted and confirmation sent to us and our guest May 29. Corporate said, if it is going to be canceled, it will be canceled 14 days out, which would be May 29 and it was not canceled on May 29. However, On june 3, (9 days out from check in) we received an email that the reservation had been cancelled. We called Wyndham and they said that no guest certificates usage will be allowed through the end of year 2020. As result of Wyndham's action, we had to disappoint and inform our guest of the negative news that they had been canceled.
Really? Ive done this 3x over the past 2 months. No problem. Is it just that location?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Really? Ive done this 3x over the past 2 months. No problem. Is it just that location?
Yes, with Covid-19, Wyndham was cancelling reservations. This post is from June, so maybe you are having better luck now with your GC's.