• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Update on Wyndham's position on use of guest certificates 2020

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
My point is, is Wyndham going to honor their word, "Owners First?"

"Owners first" means owners before guests. That's that they are doing -- reducing occupancy by placing owners before guests.

It is naive to think "Owners first" means owners before the corporation. It would be a major malfeasance to risk the survival of the corporation because the Board of Directors decided to take care of owners first. It won't happen and you need to get used to it.

@HitchHiker71 gave a pretty good summary of governance of publicly held corporations. You must have missed it.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
We have been owners since the 90's and not using our time like before, and have let friends and family use our time, It seems we have been left out of this situation, We are VIP'
Silver and have several weeks, Not excessive. We pay our main, fees, homeowner fees etc and we should be able to use our weeks as we see not someone else. Wyndham doesn't mind taking our monies. We pay far more than the one week owner and should have the same privileges. That being said we should have been allowed to use some of our time as others have.
We feel when all is said and done new guidelines will be written to cover this situation. I have seen where one couple says a class action law suite is being filed. We certainly understand why.
The policy should be fair to all owners, elimination guest certificates is certainly not fair.

Class actions are good for attorneys, not so much for plaintiffs. IF they win or settle, attorneys get money, the plaintiffs get coupons or vouchers.

Normita

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I had a really interesting conversation with a Wyndham reservation agent (in Springfield MO) about 2 hours ago. I have a reservation in Clearwater starting June 21, and yesterday I received their "welcome to the resort" confirmation. So since that probably suggests that they are not planning to cancel my reservation, I phoned to make sure that I could still cancel closer to the time (today is the "normal" 15 days ahead). She said that until June 30, reservations can be cancelled up to 24 hours ahead without losing points. I live in Canada, and at present the border is closed, so I asked her, if the border does not reopen, can I send a friend? She said Yes, as long as I order a G.C. I said that I had heard that G.C.s were not allowed. She replied that that was true but yesterday, she received a directive that G.C.s were allowed for reservations after June 15!!!! She said that so many owners had complained that Wyndham changed the policy. Now I don't know if this is really true, or is it because I am a Pres. Reserve owner, but it sounds as if we should all keep phoning and complaining!
I guess I will find out in about 10 days when I try to get a G.C., as I am pretty sure that we can't go.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
I had a really interesting conversation with a Wyndham reservation agent (in Springfield MO) about 2 hours ago. I have a reservation in Clearwater starting June 21, and yesterday I received their "welcome to the resort" confirmation. So since that probably suggests that they are not planning to cancel my reservation, I phoned to make sure that I could still cancel closer to the time (today is the "normal" 15 days ahead). She said that until June 30, reservations can be cancelled up to 24 hours ahead without losing points. I live in Canada, and at present the border is closed, so I asked her, if the border does not reopen, can I send a friend? She said Yes, as long as I order a G.C. I said that I had heard that G.C.s were not allowed. She replied that that was true but yesterday, she received a directive that G.C.s were allowed for reservations after June 15!!!! She said that so many owners had complained that Wyndham changed the policy. Now I don't know if this is really true, or is it because I am a Pres. Reserve owner, but it sounds as if we should all keep phoning and complaining!
I guess I will find out in about 10 days when I try to get a G.C., as I am pretty sure that we can't go.

We are seeing chatter on the forums as well indicating that the GC moratorium is being lifted - and that the verbiage has been removed from the website. Wyndham does appear to be listening to its owners!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are seeing chatter on the forums as well indicating that the GC moratorium is being lifted - and that the verbiage has been removed from the website. Wyndham does appear to be listening to its owners!

I've done my share of posting and complaining and it's nice to think that Wyndham is listening, although they might not be. The problem is Wyndham also has to listen to state and local governments and health departments and, if social distancing and occupancy limits are mandated, there go the guest reservations.

I've canceled my June & July reservations that were intended to be rented. I don't want to have to explain to a potential renter conditions like those at Bonnet Creek, where all the resort's pools are closed and you can use the pool over at the hotel but you have to make a reservation and no, I won't reduce the price of my rental.

Last edited:

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
I've done my share of posting and complaining and it's nice to think that Wyndham is listening, although they might not be. The problem is Wyndham also has to listen to state and local governments and health departments and, if social distancing and occupancy limits are mandated, there go the guest reservations.

I've canceled my June & July reservations that were intended to be rented. I don't want to have to explain to a potential renter conditions like those at Bonnet Creek, where all the resort's pools are closed and you can use the pool over at the hotel but you have to make a reservation and no, I won't reduce the price of my rental.

Well the occupancy at Bonnet Creek last week was just rediculous. If I had to guess, 30/1149 rooms had people in them. I had a great time having the resort all to myself, but with only 2 pools open they could have easily had 300 rooms filled and kept everyone 6 feet apart. I had the lazy river all to myself just about every time I used it.

LDBEH

Reaction score
It should go back to who made the reservation first...If I am an owner that made a reservation for a friend 9 months ago...why should Wyndham be able to say that my points used as an owner (given to a friend) are not the same as an owner using their points for themselves. I do not believe that Wyndham should have royal authority (above the club written rules) to determine how and where and the ways in which I use the points that I purchased.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
It should go back to who made the reservation first...If I am an owner that made a reservation for a friend 9 months ago...why should Wyndham be able to say that my points used as an owner (given to a friend) are not the same as an owner using their points for themselves. I do not believe that Wyndham should have royal authority (above the club written rules) to determine how and where and the ways in which I use the points that I purchased.
If you purchased Undivided Interest points in the Club Wyndham program or are using points "converted from a deeded ownership," then you are subject to the rules of that program. There is sure to be a rule in that program that the rules governing the program may be changed at any time. That would be the equivalent of "royal authority."

BDMX2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Santa Barbara
Wyndham Bonnet Creek
The bummer of using the order of reservations is the folks that had to reschedule from the closure period. I made my April reservations at the 13 month mark, but my reschedule to July was only a couple of months prior to check in.

SLoB

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been a TUG member for a while, just reading the forums and gaining a lot of info. Thank you all for that! I thought I needed to post with what happened to our reservation last week. We had booked a 2bd at Seawatch (villas) last Sept, for our daughter who is not on the owners list, so we needed a GC ( the gc wasn't put in till Feb.). The reservation was for 6/26/20 - 7/3/20. Last Wed., we received an email saying that the booking was cancelled, so I looked online the next day, and sure enough, it was cancelled, and our points were returned. I got on again Friday, and looked, and the reservation was back on and the points were taken off again! I called reservations, and he told me he thought it was probably a glitch in the new software, and that it would straiten itself out again. He mentioned that all he knew was all gc were cancelled through 2020. The reservation was still there this morn, so we called again, but this time the person said that it was re-instated! So, it looks like they are opening up a little more, and Wyndham has maybe changed their policy somewhat

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mere owners don't have a need to know.

Sandi Bo

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
I have been a TUG member for a while, just reading the forums and gaining a lot of info. Thank you all for that! I thought I needed to post with what happened to our reservation last week. We had booked a 2bd at Seawatch (villas) last Sept, for our daughter who is not on the owners list, so we needed a GC ( the gc wasn't put in till Feb.). The reservation was for 6/26/20 - 7/3/20. Last Wed., we received an email saying that the booking was cancelled, so I looked online the next day, and sure enough, it was cancelled, and our points were returned. I got on again Friday, and looked, and the reservation was back on and the points were taken off again! I called reservations, and he told me he thought it was probably a glitch in the new software, and that it would straiten itself out again. He mentioned that all he knew was all gc were cancelled through 2020. The reservation was still there this morn, so we called again, but this time the person said that it was re-instated! So, it looks like they are opening up a little more, and Wyndham has maybe changed their policy somewhat
Pretty crazy. That hasn't happened to me, but good to know to keep an eye on things. And yikes, I can imagine that happening, cancelling flights and such, only to have it reappear. I know Wyndham is trying, and these are trying times, but seems a little more crazy than I can handle right now (in terms of counting on anything or planning a vacation). One certainly needs to be able to be flexible and roll with the punches.

WhiskeyJack

TUG Member
Reaction score
The FAQ under the COVID section on the wyndham website still says the below and it also says it was updated June 8th.

One of the updates done today appears to be in regards to how they have the resorts listed in the two columns. One column now says Resorts Open and the other says Resorts Opening Soon. Seawatch is under the Resorts Open column which is maybe why they reinstated SLoB's reservation. If the resort is under the now open column does that mean no reservations are getting cancelled for those resorts anymore? If so why didn't they change the FAQ.

Agree that it is anybody's guess as to what they are doing.

What are we doing to ensure owners are able to book at the destinations they want?

Owner reservations are being prioritized above all other reservations. Guests, exchange, and rental reservations will be canceled in order to give owners sole access to resorts during this initial reopening phase.

There are some instances where owner reservations may be cancelled in order to remain within the limited occupancy guidelines and practice safe social distancing measures. Several factors are being taken into consideration as we identify reservations to cancel such as when the reservation was booked and reservation dates. We are doing everything we can to ensure owners on-site will have a safe and enjoyable vacation during their stay.

Normita

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Today I spoke to a Wyndham agent who said that all guest confirmations, whether made by telephone or online would be honoured. True???

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
The FAQ under the COVID section on the wyndham website still says the below and it also says it was updated June 8th.

One of the updates done today appears to be in regards to how they have the resorts listed in the two columns. One column now says Resorts Open and the other says Resorts Opening Soon. Seawatch is under the Resorts Open column which is maybe why they reinstated SLoB's reservation. If the resort is under the now open column does that mean no reservations are getting cancelled for those resorts anymore? If so why didn't they change the FAQ.

What are we doing to ensure owners are able to book at the destinations they want?

Owner reservations are being prioritized above all other reservations. Guests, exchange, and rental reservations will be canceled in order to give owners sole access to resorts during this initial reopening phase.

There are some instances where owner reservations may be cancelled in order to remain within the limited occupancy guidelines and practice safe social distancing measures. Several factors are being taken into consideration as we identify reservations to cancel such as when the reservation was booked and reservation dates. We are doing everything we can to ensure owners on-site will have a safe and enjoyable vacation during their stay.
Mega renters are taking a beating with this policy of canceling with short notice. Sounds like way to much aggravation and work for me. I personally wouldn't want to be the lessor or lessee on either end of a rental today. The strategy of renting from a VIP in the discount window door closed and another one opened. I Just picked up a free Grand Desert deed from a post card company and will make it work for the way I travel. 1.4 million points available beginning 2021. Buyer to to pay maintenance fees starting in 2021.

Last edited:

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

The other thing is there's "open" and there's "open, but . . . ."

We saw reports that Bonnet Creek was open but the pools, etc., were closed and to go to a pool, you had to make a reservation to use the pool at the hotel. Subsequently, there's another report that pools, lazy rivers, etc., were not only open but were barely utilized. People need to know not only what resorts are open but what's open at the resorts.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
The other thing is there's "open" and there's "open, but . . . ."

We saw reports that Bonnet Creek was open but the pools, etc., were closed and to go to a pool, you had to make a reservation to use the pool at the hotel. Subsequently, there's another report that pools, lazy rivers, etc., were not only open but were barely utilized. People need to know not only what resorts are open but what's open at the resorts.

Only the village center pool requires a reservation. The grande was first come first serve.
1591657583127.png

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Only the village center pool requires a reservation. The grande was first come first serve.
View attachment 21855

Sorry, but I don't know pool names. The poster says it's the hotel. Does it apply to resort pools, too?

Regardless, it's a world different than a few days ago. Very encouraging.

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I am at Emerald Grande now. It is OPEN, not just open. Seriously, OPEN. I was at PCB last night. People were in the pools this morning, , though they are keeping limits. Here in a non-Wyndham managed resort, OPEN. I'm overlooking the Harborwalk. Not a mask to be seen. I was at Walmart earlier (wearing my mask) and maybe 20% of customers wore them. It was the same story in Myrtle Beach.

My kids are totally confused. We came in from Disney on March 6th and they stayed in until last Wednesday. They watched me sew several hundred facemasks and send them to pilots. They saw the news. And then, it was done. Like it was just a bad dream. They point out the lack of masks and the lack of social distancing. It is just mind-boggling.

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
I Just picked up a free Grand Desert deed from a post card company and will make it work for the way I travel. 1.4 million points available beginning 2021. Buyer to to pay maintenance fees starting in 2021.
Post card company or did you take advantage of someone here on TUGG asking for help?? I’ve heard about some of your deals- offers to TUGGers

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
So I am at Emerald Grande now. It is OPEN, not just open. Seriously, OPEN. I was at PCB last night. People were in the pools this morning, , though they are keeping limits. Here in a non-Wyndham managed resort, OPEN. I'm overlooking the Harborwalk. Not a mask to be seen. I was at Walmart earlier (wearing my mask) and maybe 20% of customers wore them. It was the same story in Myrtle Beach.

My kids are totally confused. We came in from Disney on March 6th and they stayed in until last Wednesday. They watched me sew several hundred facemasks and send them to pilots. They saw the news. And then, it was done. Like it was just a bad dream. They point out the lack of masks and the lack of social distancing. It is just mind-boggling.

That’s probably a big reason why FL has their highest ever number of cases for the last 7 days. This is from the Washington Post:

“Since the start of June, 14 states and Puerto Rico have recorded their highest-ever seven-day average of new coronavirus cases since the pandemic began, according to data tracked by The Washington Post: Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Florida, Kentucky, New Mexico, North Carolina, Mississippi, Oregon, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Utah.”

14 states and Puerto Rico hit highest seven-day average of new coronavirus infections

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
That’s probably a big reason why FL has their highest ever number of cases for the last 7 days. This is from the Washington Post:

“Since the start of June, 14 states and Puerto Rico have recorded their highest-ever seven-day average of new coronavirus cases since the pandemic began, according to data tracked by The Washington Post: Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Florida, Kentucky, New Mexico, North Carolina, Mississippi, Oregon, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Utah.”

14 states and Puerto Rico hit highest seven-day average of new coronavirus infections
Then every big city that had protest had better go back on lockdown. Statistics would indicate many protesters would fall in the vulnerable category

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
That makes me respect them even more. Don’t kid yourself that only one race or age group, if that is your assertion, is involved in the protests. It is much more widespread than that.

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have every respect for “them” in the world!! Your word not mine. Only one of us inserted race here!! It wasn’t me.
You would have to be blind if you think only one race was-is participating in the protest!!!

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Post card company or did you take advantage of someone here on TUGG asking for help?? I’ve heard about some of your deals- offers to TUGGers
Stanley please refrain from insulting or slandering someone's personal character. Unlike the way Wyndham tried to take advantage of you when you recinded there is no misinformation or Wyndham math involved when I make a deal. All deals I do are very transparent and both parties are satisfied. When you deal with people on the square and level like I have that is ussually the final out come.