• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The bright side of COVID-19

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Coming up on 2 weeks for us.

Kurt
Well we've been sheltering in place since we got back from Maui and San Francisco on March 14. Except for the trips to the ER, to the doctor (for dh) and to the store. It's just been four days since the mandatory stay at home order in New Mexico.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
It's longer than four days. I just found the meme and it made me chuckle. :D

Dave

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Positives:
- I am cooking more and eating in all of our meals, saving $.
- Got our 2019 taxes done.
- Not traveling, even though forfeited cruise deposits, saving $.
- Get around to organizing the pantry in order to store canned food and stuff.
- The sun still rises from the east each day.

That pretty much applies to us too.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Positives:
- I am cooking more and eating in all of our meals, saving $.
- Got our 2019 taxes done.
- Not traveling, even though forfeited cruise deposits, saving $.
- Get around to organizing the pantry in order to store canned food and stuff.
- The sun still rises from the east each day.

Silly question but curious since our DD has a cruise scheduled for the end of July...
On what basis did the cruise lines refuse to give you a refund?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Silly question but curious since our DD has a cruise scheduled for the end of July...
On what basis did the cruise lines refuse to give you a refund?
I cancelled in January since I saw how coronavirus was going to turn out. Since I cancelled 2 cruises and flights, I forfeited cruise deposits which I had and paid to redeposit the miles back to my United account.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I cancelled in January since I saw how coronavirus was going to turn out. Since I cancelled 2 cruises and flights, I forfeited cruise deposits which I had and paid to redeposit the miles back to my United account.
Interesting. In light of further developments, have you approached the cruise lines to see if they would reconsider?

Obviously, my interest here is in trying to persuade our daughter to cancel. To that end, I am curious as to how the cruise lines are to work with in cases like this. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting. In light of further developments, have you approached the cruise lines to see if they would reconsider?

Obviously, my interest here is in trying to persuade our daughter to cancel. To that end, I am curious as to how the cruise lines are to work with in cases like this. Thanks for sharing your experiences.
What we had was forfeit $100 per person, so that would be $400 for the 2 of us for 2 cruises, with the rest of the deposit that we could apply to future cruise in the following 12 months following the cancellation. We are so over cruising now that we have no intention of using the credit. So we lost $1800 in deposit and another $100 to redeposit our miles.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Depends on what state you live in. March 15 was the start date for seniors (65+) in CA, so I'm on Day 12.
I really don't know anymore. As I said we kind of self-isolated when we got back from San Francisco. We're just coming to the two week mark for that. Then our governor put some measures in place, then put stricter ones in place. All I know is it feels like months.

We left San Francisco on March 14, just ahead of your order for seniors.

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
A few silver linings:

1) There is a developer that is seeking to develop a vacant parcel near our home. The mega home would have partially blocked our view. It is now economically unfeasible to build this.
2) Our dd would technically graduate this year but needs a 5th year to finish her college degree. Since this year's graduation ceremony was cancelled, she will be able to celebrate next year with all of the senior fun. It sucks that we have to pay for another year of tuition, but she would not have found a job if she graduated this year anyway. Funny how things turn out.
Glad something good came out of this for you guys. Enjoy the views. :cool:

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Another bright side of the virus all televisions, computers, tablets and cellphones are being turned off during dinner time. And that is amazing.
No cable news channels are on. Thanks You.
You mean your actually engaged in meaningful conversations with eye contact and human interaction without Apps or other distractions. Shocking.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
people are saving money on haircuts

View attachment 18211

I just gave the dog her "covid" cut and the results are mixed. I think that I'm going to let it grow out a bit before I take her to the groomer. It's not the best looking cut, lol.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I just gave the dog her "covid" cut and the results are mixed. I think that I'm going to let it grow out a bit before I take her to the groomer. It's not the best looking cut, lol.

I had made the retirement goal, pre-Covid-19, of learning how to groom my two longhaired Dachshunds. One of mine is essentially blind, and he has seizures when he's away from his comfort zone, which is our house and backyard. Poor guy. So I bought all the right gear, and did the first trial a few weeks ago. Nobody cried, and it came out fairly decent. I think with practice this may get easier, and I'll get better. My dogs didn't seem to mind, and best of all, Kona had no seizures enduring the process while I was learning what the heck I was doing. :thumbup:

Dave

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
On the Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon (from home), he did a bit where folks were asked to finish the line, "I knew I had cabin fever when..." The two better ones were:

-- I lined up my kids' stuffed animals in the order in which I wanted to make friends.

-- After a week of home-schooling my kids, one was suspended,
one was expelled, and the teacher was fired for drinking on the job."

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I know this won't seem like a positive story, but I believe this is a case of addition by subtraction. Read this story about Cheesecake Factory unlikely to be able to make their April rent.

If this is part of a reduction in the number of over priced restaurants in this country I submit this will be a positive development. I think we can all foresee a large amount of change is coming (in progress even) in the restaurant industry and it is long past needed.

The positive here is that with the many changes coming, people are more likely to increase their eating at home and decrease dining out. That has many positive effects - more time as a family together, likely better dining choices, and reduced strain on family budget just to name a few.

The restaurant industry was quickly pricing itself out of existence before this started so if COVID 19 accelerates the reduction of restaurants, all the better. Of course, the hope here is for those restaurants that survive this crisis to become more consumer oriented, operating with safer (healthier) procedures, and improve their menus.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I know this won't seem like a positive story, but I believe this is a case of addition by subtraction. Read this story about Cheesecake Factory unlikely to be able to make their April rent.

If this is part of a reduction in the number of over priced restaurants in this country I submit this will be a positive development. I think we can all foresee a large amount of change is coming (in progress even) in the restaurant industry and it is long past needed.

The positive here is that with the many changes coming, people are more likely to increase their eating at home and decrease dining out. That has many positive effects - more time as a family together, likely better dining choices, and reduced strain on family budget just to name a few.

The restaurant industry was quickly pricing itself out of existence before this started so if COVID 19 accelerates the reduction of restaurants, all the better. Of course, the hope here is for those restaurants that survive this crisis to become more consumer oriented, operating with safer (healthier) procedures, and improve their menus.
I just want them to return to normal portions. I remember as kid the only restaurant that served your dinner on an oval plate was the Mexican restaurant. Every where else the food was just served on normal sized, round plates. Then Claim Jumper came along and here was the oval plate again. Then the round plates started looking suspiciously like platters. Then the prices played along and went jumbo sized too. So if we could just serve regular portions with regular prices that would be good in my book.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Ok positive,
I’ve been cooking breakfast lunch and dinner and have saved so much money from delivery.

My chest pain is getting a bit better as the days go on.

I call my mom everyday now and I got her reading Harry Potter and now is already excited to go back to universal for family trips, since she will be able to know what’s she’s looking at.

I have also been able to stay home and isolate which I enjoy doing from time to time but now have an excuse to do it.

I’ve improved so much on my classic French omelet skills

I’m enjoying the espresso machine I bought last year and I’m using my reusable iced coffee cup and not a to go cup! Love doing my part.

I’ve become more thankful for everything I have been blessed with.

I’ve realized how amazing life really is when faced with the possibility of being in that small percentage or the possibility that a loved one or someone you know may be in that percentage.

I've been praying a lot more

geez a lot more positives that I thought. It’s hard to say anything positive when people are dying from a virus. I’m Still praying for no loss of life anywhere. It’s a long shot but I will pray for it.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, we all need good vibes right now....let's try to keep this thread on topic

For me:
My diet continued. I am up and down 10-15 pounds several times a year. I start to diet about 2 months prior to a trip, go on the trip and a few months after it is back. This goes on all year long. Since all our travel plans for March were cancelled and we eat all meals at home I have managed to stay on the diet.

We turned my daughters play room (which was chuck full of items she was too old for, but refused to give up) into a teen lounge. I told her we need to clean it all out, we won't get rid of anything we will just store it for now and bring in back down once the room is painted. As I thought, she realized she didn't need/want a lot of the stuff and decided not to bring it back into the room. Humm......what to do with 200 stuffed animals????

I am 100% commission income. Business is booming due to Covid-19 and I have some very nice paychecks coming my way

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
A friend sent me this:

At 7:45 am today at a grocery store that opened at 8 for seniors only, a young man came from the parking lot and tried to cut in at the front of the line, but an old lady beat him back into the parking lot with her cane.

He returned and tried to cut in again but an old man punched him in the gut, then kicked him to the ground and rolled him away.

As he approached the line for the third time he said, "If you don't let me unlock the door, you'll never get in there."

Dave :ROFLMAO:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
@DaveNW I had to share that. Too funny.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I have some amusing friends. Just got this one sent to me. :)

Dave

soap.jpg

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
The bright side that I think we keep forgetting is that most people with Covid-19 do not show symptoms or show mild symptoms and most people recover. I was just watching CNN and Sanjay Gupta said that most elderly people recover too. He told the story of a 103 year old woman in China who made a full recovery after 20 days in the hospital. If you google this topic, there are positive stories of older people in their 90s and 100s recovering. This is promising. I still have hope that the mortality rate will not be as high as the experts are projecting right now. I guess that is another bright side of Covid-19: Having hope in the face of crisis.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
It also brings the best out in people. Long story short, mom needed medicine, orders to stay home. No delivery dates from pharmacy for a week, used mail in, fiasco didn’t get to her.

After hearing over and over from the pharmacy there is nothing we can do, we are not responsible if it doesn’t get to you.....finally someone cared.

The head pharmacist after her shift was over, personally delivered the medicine to my mom. Bless her!

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Another bright side: this country is coming together to support fighting this hidden enemy. Both parties are working together to get relief programs passed. I think the vast majority of people are following SIP mandates, if not for themselves then to help save others. POTUS is now taking this more seriously. In terms of patriotism, this will rival 9/11 in how it moves our emotions. Having compassion and empathy for others is really important right now, even if people are not behaving as we think they should. Also, it is amazing how many people will risk their lives to help others. Think of all the health care workers on the front lines.