• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Stock Market

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
With the significantly lower fuel prices, should we hold our breath until we see SUBSTANTIAL changes in airline ticket prices?? :eek:

DREAMER!!! They are profit driven. The more the better! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
It's the cycle of life... Ride it out, and you'll be fine.
Cash out now and you'll lock in your losses. Bad idea.

I like a 55-45 bond-to-stock ratio (near retirement) and individual bonds:
With individual bonds, you at least get face value returned at maturity.
Bond funds are subject to interest rate risk but they won't see major losses.

We won't cash out. Learned my lesson the hard way last time.

We buy I Bonds every month. Don't understand the other types of bonds buying so I stay away from individual bonds. Same with stocks- we use mutual funds.

We are putting money in cash, blue ship mutual fund, investment grade bond fund, stable value fund, and an S & P 500 index fund (Vanguard). All within Roth IRA's and 401 k's except the cash.

Our overall mix is like 38Stocks/38Bonds/24Cash/Other(like foreign currency/gold/silver- ETFs, mutual funds and physical). I am about 5 or 6 years from retirement, hubby is about 4 years, if not sooner depending on life.

Gosh I wish it were sooner!

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Thanks, this is who my my 401K is with through my company. I will look to see what they have.

Mine is with Fidelity in a Target Date fund, I picked 2025 when I'll be starting RMDs. It automatically adjusts the balance as it gets closer to the target date so you can set it and forget it.

Sent from my iPad Mini 4 using Tapatalk

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I manage my kids IRAs and my Daughters 529s (because I am the one who put the money in them). Sometime in late 2014 I took them out of stocks and put 100% of their money in a Low Duration Bond Fund. I am now slowly going back into stocks at prices lower than when I sold. As this market continues to deteriorate I will increase their investment in stocks.

George

I handed my son's over to him last year, as I used to do the same. But he is 28years old and I told him to start taking responsibility. I would give him MONEY and Kiplingers magazines and he would throw them out. I don't think he has ever gone on the website or tried to learn about investing.

This is killing me as I started the Roth IRA for him - mostly his money- not mine. He hasn't been able to put any money in it since I handed it over to him because he is trying to save up to buy a car cash. (He can't afford a loan and he doesn't make enough money to do both).

But he can't depend on mommy to take care of his finances forever. Heck- I might need him to handle mine someday!:eek:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Mine is with Fidelity in a Target Date fund, I picked 2025 when I'll be starting RMDs. It automatically adjusts the balance as it gets closer to the target date so you can set it and forget it.

T Rowe Price does this as well. I have an inherited IRA I have to take distributions from.

But I like making my own decisions as to what to liquidate when the time comes. So, I told them I will make the choice and put the money in my money market fund prior to their taking out the RMD. They let me know how much I have to put into the money market.

I then take that RMD money and reinvest it in a taxable account.

BTW- I only leave like $100 in my money market account because there are new SEC rules that takes affect this year.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/sec-to-vote-on-final-money-market-mutual-fund-rules-1406124323

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/get-ready-for-new-money-fund-rules-2015-03-11

The money market interest rates stink anyway and I get better rates in traditional savings accounts at online savings banks.

Last edited:

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
What's with Walmart announcing it's downsizing and going to close lots of stores? What a lousy time to make an announcement like that since the market's been sliding downward since first week of Jan! Walmart once again proves itself to be un-American and a poor corporate citizen. I really feel for those who'll be laid off, though most of them were paid so poorly they had to get foodstamps they may as well just be on welfare. I say SELL WALMART to show them how you feel about their market move...and don't buy anymore Chinese goods from them (90 pct of their merchandise...not the grocery part of their biz model.) :shrug:

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
What's with Walmart announcing it's downsizing and going to close lots of stores? What a lousy time to make an announcement like that since the market's been sliding downward since first week of Jan! Walmart once again proves itself to be un-American and a poor corporate citizen. I really feel for those who'll be laid off, though most of them were paid so poorly they had to get foodstamps they may as well just be on welfare. I say SELL WALMART to show them how you feel about their market move...and don't buy anymore Chinese goods from them (90 pct of their merchandise...not the grocery part of their biz model.) :shrug:

LOL - seriously? When should they have made their announcement?

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
This CNN Money article makes a good point - - the stock market is now nearly 100% tied to the price of oil. Sovereign debt that in other circumstances would enter the market as a big equity buyer remains on the sidelines, because those would-be buyers are nations that get their wealth from oil.
http://money.cnn.com/2016/01/20/investing/stocks-market-oil-drop/index.html

So markets will fall until the price of oil stabilizes. If you think today's $28-to-$30 oil price is the bottom, now's the time to buy.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
What's with Walmart announcing it's downsizing and going to close lots of stores? What a lousy time to make an announcement like that since the market's been sliding downward since first week of Jan!
You seriously think a company should time announcements in their business based on the performance of the stock market? :hysterical:

Walmart once again proves itself to be un-American and a poor corporate citizen. I really feel for those who'll be laid off, though most of them were paid so poorly they had to get foodstamps they may as well just be on welfare.
Just last year Walmart announced they were raising their minimum wage to $10/hour. The closing of these stores is a direct result of that move. Just remember this when you advocate for raising the national minimum wage.

Higher minimum wage == fewer entry-level / non-skilled jobs.

Kurt

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You seriously think a company should time announcements in their business based on the performance of the stock market? :hysterical:

Just last year Walmart announced they were raising their minimum wage to $10/hour. The closing of these stores is a direct result of that move. Just remember this when you advocate for raising the national minimum wage.

Kurt

I couldn't have said it better myself. Every company has to stay afloat and do what it has got to do. As an employee I was always grateful for a job. As an employer, I want to be an employee again. Folks who have not owned a company and have employees should sit on the other side and realize that employers are not the bad guys.

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
You're both right.

Walmart should pay at least $10/hour to its lowest-paid employees, and Walmart should close its unprofitable stores. Especially since we taxpayers are subsidizing the Walmart payroll via food stamps and other tax subsidies.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
With the significantly lower fuel prices, should we hold our breath until we see SUBSTANTIAL changes in airline ticket prices?? :eek:
Pah, check out those BA fuel surcharges!

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Isn't the post on Min wage above a political comment? Or is it just the Mod agrees so not deleted?

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.

Lots of retailers are closing brick and mortar stores and ramping up online sales, future min wage jobs will be in large shipping warehouses or delivery drivers. Macys, Penneys, Kmart, Kohls all announced store closings recently. Millenials prefer shopping with two clicks rather than two hours in a store. Face it, our age group doesnt spend much at all in stores, we arent the demographic the retailers are after any more.

geekette

Reaction score
Look at the net outflow of money from 401ks and retirment funds... Hint, boomers are retiring, funds are having to liquidate assets, retirees get scared and pull out more assets causing more fear and panic, people expecting to retire do the same....more panic more fear...

I hope you are averaging down cause DOW will probably hit somewhere in range of 12-13k by my estimate.

I am unconcerned and contribute to 401k, Roth and taxable throughout the year. I don't own the DOW but some of my companies I've had for over 20 years at prices much lower than we are likely to see, wherever the bottom is. Even some I've only held 5-6 years are still showing their triple digit return numbers. Besides, I'm a dividend investor, price volatility isn't a big issue for me. This is bargain shopping time.

People panic. Nothing I can do about that. I manage my own affairs and panic is never part of that. Not sure why someone that needs the money today had it in the stock market.

geekette

Reaction score
I am doing monthly contributions to a blue chip fund since last year in my Roth, I have 5 years until I retire.

Awesome! This is a good move, especially during times of volatility. Pretty exciting, only 5 more years!!

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
...Just last year Walmart announced they were raising their minimum wage to $10/hour. The closing of these stores is a direct result of that move. Just remember this when you advocate for raising the national minimum wage.

Kurt

Do you have a citation from Walmart on this notion or is it a guess?

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Do you have a citation from Walmart on this notion or is it a guess?
The wage increase is costing Walmart about $2.7 billion. If you read any amount of articles from analysts you will see they have come to the same conclusion: this amount of investment in wages has pushed many stores that were marginally profitable to unprofitable, and has made stores that were unprofitable even more unprofitable. Closing stores to cut the losses was the next logical step.

I think it is a good thing that Walmart is stepping up and paying their employees better. But with that comes some amount of lost jobs -- that is just a fact. With our current low unemployment, hopefully those that are cut will find other (perhaps better) jobs quickly.

Kurt

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been switching a few things into oil lately, and possibly more. Any recommendations?

We may not have seen the bottom in oil, but if your look at the charts over the last 20 years or so, each time oil has endured a significant sell-off like we are experiencing, the recovery when it starts has been swift. It could always be different, but historically the recovery has been fairly quick!

And, that is one of the reasons airlines have held up fares and fuel surcharges in some instances. Not only are they making hay when fuel cost is near an all time low, but they are afraid if they lower air fares significantly, then try to raise them back to former levels, they will encounter more scorn than they are now getting.

Last edited:

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
We may not have seen the bottom in oil, but if your look at the charts over the last 20 years or so, each time oil has endured a significant sell-off like we are experiencing, the recovery when it starts has been swift. It could always be different, but historically the recovery has been fairly quick!

Yep. And that is why now may be the time to average in! I've been buying incrementally into an energy mutual fund since mid-December.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Isn't the post on Min wage above a political comment? Or is it just the Mod agrees so not deleted?

-I am pretty much apolitical - just not interested.

-I don't read every post on TUG, and I haven't been following this thread since my first post.

-No posts in this thread have been reported.

-If you think a post violates the posting rules, please click on the red triangle in the bottom left corner of the post, and a report will be sent to all staff members, and a number of different people will take a look at it.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
JP Morgan CEO rec'd a 35% increase in salary in 2015. New salary was only $27 millions dollars per year according USA Today.

Sound liked the stock market is doing OK.

Last edited: