• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Stock Market

joewillie12

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is NOT a repeat of the Great Recession in 2008. Low oil prices should have a stimulative effect on the economy, plus all this turmoil in the markets will keep the Fed on hold. We were overdue for a correction, but I predict the market will return before the end of the year. Oil stocks are a great buy here.
Not sure if oil is a great buy yet? BE CAREFUL! Iran has just joined the party of selling cheap oil. Their embargo was just lifted and they have alot of oil to peddle. I'm no expert by any means but do follow the market daily. There are predictions that oil could drop much lower. Its amazing to fathom that after paying over $4gal not to long ago.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
There's definitely a fear-factor, over-reaction at work here.
But I'm 55% invested in bonds, so at least I sleep at night. :zzz:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Not sure if oil is a great buy yet? BE CAREFUL! Iran has just joined the party of selling cheap oil. Their embargo was just lifted and they have alot of oil to peddle. I'm no expert by any means but do follow the market daily. There are predictions that oil could drop much lower. Its amazing to fathom that after paying over $4gal not to long ago.

I would agree. Also, with US companies now able to export oil on the global market, it will add additional pressure on a downward trend in oil prices.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pp

If your holding period for oil stocks is 3-5 years and you're not a short-term trader, I'm quite confident you will do well. I believe Warren Buffet has been a buyer lately..

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
If your holding period for oil stocks is 3-5 years and you're not a short-term trader, I'm quite confident you will do well. I believe Warren Buffet has been a buyer lately..

I've been switching a few things into oil lately, and possibly more. Any recommendations?

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The market passed well into correction territory defined as a 10% drop. I am retired and not doing any buying or selling right now but I am considering diversifying a couple of my high dividend stocks.

I wouldn't be switching anything into oil yet because I believe oil prices will continue to fall this year. I am not a big fan of oil stocks.

Bailey#1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC SSR BWV, Avenue Plaza, Redington Ambassador
Just three months ago the experts were predicting gold to fall under $700.00 an oz, when at that time it was in the upper $900. What is it now $1100.00? Point is if you start selling now you may get hurt. Twelve months ago the Chinese market prices were a little less than today. Then they zoomed 20%+ higher, now they zoomed 20% lower (there was a bubble there). I may be wrong but
for the average investor just stay tight!

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's easily possible oil price have further to go, but it will be difficult to precisely predict the bottom..

The market passed well into correction territory defined as a 10% drop. I am retired and not doing any buying or selling right now but I am considering diversifying a couple of my high dividend stocks.

I wouldn't be switching anything into oil yet because I believe oil prices will continue to fall this year. I am not a big fan of oil stocks.

johnrsrq

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just three months ago the experts were predicting gold to fall under $700.00 an oz, when at that time it was in the upper $900. What is it now $1100.00? Point is if you start selling now you may get hurt. Twelve months ago the Chinese market prices were a little less than today. Then they zoomed 20%+ higher, now they zoomed 20% lower (there was a bubble there). I may be wrong but
for the average investor just stay tight!

$gold spot gold lowest intraday 1045.40 on 12/3/15 hasn't gotten there yet

joewillie12

TUG Member
Reaction score
I sure hope your right. Still not going into oil on the down tick. I've read it could reach a buck a gallon. Maybe we'll start getting glasses with a fill up again.

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It's easily possible oil price have further to go, but it will be difficult to precisely predict the bottom..

Absolutely which is why there are so many diverse opinions among the pundits.

One should never try to time the market.

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I sure hope your right. Still not going into oil on the down tick. I've read it could reach a buck a gallon. Maybe we'll start getting glasses with a fill up again.

I remember the good old days when you got a 6 pack of coke and green/blue stamps with every fill up.

joewillie12

TUG Member
Reaction score
I remember the good old days when you got a 6 pack of coke and green/blue stamps with every fill up.
Yup, and they pumped your gas and cleaned your windshield too. My mom had a collection of dishes from the gas station also.....makes me laugh to say that.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
We still have a couple of our plastic handle gas station steak knives. They last forever.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
I just got the statement for last year for my 401k. Since I've had to be taking my Required Minimum Distributions for a few years, each year I've wound up with more in the 401k than when the year started.:D

Looks like this year it will be different. The funds are 60/40 or so stocks vs bonds. Maybe I should get some part time work so I can add to the funds to keep my record going.;)

Cheers

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just got the statement for last year for my 401k. Since I've had to be taking my Required Minimum Distributions for a few years, each year I've wound up with more in the 401k than when the year started.:D

Looks like this year it will be different. The funds are 60/40 or so stocks vs bonds. Maybe I should get some part time work so I can add to the funds to keep my record going.;)

Cheers

Next year I will start my Required Minimum Distribution and this is my concern & reason for asking the question about the stock market.

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
What's a good Blue Chip Fund that all of you have been picking for your Roth. I'm 13 years from retirement.

I use T Rowe Price, but there is also Vanguard and Fidelity.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I suppose if you are close to retirement this would be a concern, though you really shouldn't have so much in the stock market if that is the case. Being properly diversified would insulate one from big downturns like this when so close to needing the money. What wiped out a lot of peoples retirement funds in 2008 was that they had too much invested in stock or even too much in their own company that went belly up.

If you are relatively young and dollar cost averaging, I say keep doing it and don't look at it. I haven't even had the time to look at my 401K balance in a long time and didn't know the market was down until I saw something about it yesterday.

I am diversified, but I just don't get it. Everything ends up going down- bond mutual funds as well.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I am diversified, but I just don't get it. Everything ends up going down- bond mutual funds as well.

It's the cycle of life... Ride it out, and you'll be fine.
Cash out now and you'll lock in your losses. Bad idea.

I like a 55-45 bond-to-stock ratio (near retirement) and individual bonds:
With individual bonds, you at least get face value returned at maturity.
Bond funds are subject to interest rate risk but they won't see major losses.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have Vanguard and I am going to ride this out just like in 2008.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
One should never try to time the market.

I manage my kids IRAs and my Daughters 529s (because I am the one who put the money in them). Sometime in late 2014 I took them out of stocks and put 100% of their money in a Low Duration Bond Fund. I am now slowly going back into stocks at prices lower than when I sold. As this market continues to deteriorate I will increase their investment in stocks.

George

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
With less than 4 years before my Required Minimum Distribution starts, I've been selling some of my mutual funds when they're up and keeping the profits in money market funds. That way when I need to take money out, I don't have to worry if the market is down.

johnrsrq

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been switching a few things into oil lately, and possibly more. Any recommendations?

will core labs, clb, keep assisting co's extract more from their producing wells and will it's above average free cash flow continue. I think so, bwdik.

clb, helping US exporters be competitive at lower cost. I now nothing but I like this company.

this is not a recommendation as all should seek their own professional in such matters.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
With the significantly lower fuel prices, should we hold our breath until we see SUBSTANTIAL changes in airline ticket prices?? :eek: