• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Stock Market

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I feel that this a stock market correction.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
A friendly suggestion: I know the two topics are inter-related, but let's please avoid going down the political path with this thread. Thank you kindly! :hi:

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oil and China seem to be driving this downturn.

johnrsrq

TUG Member
Reaction score
lower for longer

correction indeed, bear market in many sectors. opportunities in bear exist.

sharp reversals are dramatic, pain for some shorts, but not to get fooled. The tidal change is slow.

corporate profits are negatively sloped. compression. but not all companies.

Last edited:

joewillie12

TUG Member
Reaction score
I feel that this a stock market correction.
Market been correcting itself for the last six months plus. Its a scary place to be with oil, China, and interest rate increase pummeling it.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
I feel that stocks are on sale. I'm buying more.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is NOT a repeat of the Great Recession in 2008. Low oil prices should have a stimulative effect on the economy, plus all this turmoil in the markets will keep the Fed on hold. We were overdue for a correction, but I predict the market will return before the end of the year. Oil stocks are a great buy here.

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are in a stockpicker's market and not buy the index phase.

I forgot this link

http://www.businessinsider.com/baltic-dry-index-falls-to-lowest-level-in-history-2016-1?r=UK&IR=T

Hint - If shipping rates are low = noone is shipping anything = TRADE IS WAY DOWN.

This is lower then it has ever been (and there is no index for inflation on this thing but I can tell you that $1 in 1986 was worth a ton more than $1 now...)....

In fact, according tho this site

http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl?cost1=350&year1=2015&year2=1986

If the index were "indexed" to inflation, we are talking about the equivilant of a rate in 1986 of $162...

Think about that.

Last edited:

geekette

Reaction score
Looks like 2016 is off to a great start for deploying my Roth contribution. I like blue chips, I love blue chips on sale. I probably have 10 years until retirement so this is really good timing for me.

For those retired, don't panic. What goes down generally goes up.

Bailey#1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC SSR BWV, Avenue Plaza, Redington Ambassador
My advice is to go on vacation and don"t look at the stock market!

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score

Look at the net outflow of money from 401ks and retirment funds... Hint, boomers are retiring, funds are having to liquidate assets, retirees get scared and pull out more assets causing more fear and panic, people expecting to retire do the same....more panic more fear...

I hope you are averaging down cause DOW will probably hit somewhere in range of 12-13k by my estimate.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Look at the net outflow of money from 401ks and retirment funds... Hint, boomers are retiring, funds are having to liquidate assets, retirees get scared and pull out more assets causing more fear and panic, people expecting to retire do the same....more panic more fear...

I hope you are averaging down cause DOW will probably hit somewhere in range of 12-13k by my estimate.

I hope your low estimates are wrong.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
This is NOT a repeat of the Great Recession in 2008. Low oil prices should have a stimulative effect on the economy, plus all this turmoil in the markets will keep the Fed on hold. We were overdue for a correction, but I predict the market will return before the end of the year. Oil stocks are a great buy here.
''

Won't the low oil prices affect the business dealing in oil, though? For example, this is a big part of Texas's economy.

Last edited:

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Looks like 2016 is off to a great start for deploying my Roth contribution. I like blue chips, I love blue chips on sale. I probably have 10 years until retirement so this is really good timing for me.

I am doing monthly contributions to a blue chip fund since last year in my Roth, I have 5 years until I retire.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
My advice is to go on vacation and don"t look at the stock market!

That's what I'm talkin' about! We can't do anything about the market. We have to just hope for the best. Make sure we have a cash stash.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I am doing monthly contributions to a blue chip fund since last year in my Roth, I have 5 years until I retire.

What's a good Blue Chip Fund that all of you have been picking for your Roth. I'm 13 years from retirement.

Bailey#1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC SSR BWV, Avenue Plaza, Redington Ambassador
What's a good Blue Chip Fund that all of you have been picking for your Roth. I'm 13 years from retirement.
You are on vacation what are you looking at the stock market for? lol

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
something with low management fees (Vanguard funds) - fees are killer to returns in long term

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I suppose if you are close to retirement this would be a concern, though you really shouldn't have so much in the stock market if that is the case. Being properly diversified would insulate one from big downturns like this when so close to needing the money. What wiped out a lot of peoples retirement funds in 2008 was that they had too much invested in stock or even too much in their own company that went belly up.

If you are relatively young and dollar cost averaging, I say keep doing it and don't look at it. I haven't even had the time to look at my 401K balance in a long time and didn't know the market was down until I saw something about it yesterday.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Completely agree. Diversification is key. If you have a 3-5 year time horizon, you should have at least some portion of your portfolio in stocks/mutual funds. Even the financial gurus advise to NOT try to time the market.

I suppose if you are close to retirement this would be a concern, though you really shouldn't have so much in the stock market if that is the case. Being properly diversified would insulate one from big downturns like this when so close to needing the money. What wiped out a lot of peoples retirement funds in 2008 was that they had too much invested in stock or even too much in their own company that went belly up.

If you are relatively young and dollar cost averaging, I say keep doing it and don't look at it. I haven't even had the time to look at my 401K balance in a long time and didn't know the market was down until I saw something about it yesterday.

johnrsrq

TUG Member
Reaction score

that is a great source of info, thank you.

oh, sellers exhaustion might be near and large programs might give the present worst start to a year in memory a pause, let's just wait for the next batch of earnings and downward revisions, then the continuation of the trend. buy the dippers are absent as they should be or stunned. timing is always tough-imo. Long term dollar cost averaging is good for many. keep powder dry.

lower limits mentioned are not unreasonable in the next 18 months.

good luck all.