• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Have you used this information to deed-back your DRI Timeshare?

• Yes, DRI took back my DRI TimeShare (or DRI said they will take back my TS)

Votes: 148 87.6%
  • No, DRI said they would not take back my TimeShare

Votes: 21 12.4%

• Total voters

HappyRon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk
SummerBay
Wyndham
Perennial Vacation Club
Grand Timberlodge
Hilton
GOOD NEWS!!!!

April 2024 - Called up and asked about the transitions program and talked to a very nice lady who asked us some questions 1) are you all paid up 2) Are you the original owner and 3) can I talk you out of it? She said we were good to go.

UNFORTUNATELY, my girlfriend wanted to squeeze more money out of these people and decided to wait until we attended a presentation in Dec to get a three-day stay and then cancel afterward. Now I've read the program is on hold

JULY 3 - Called Transitions again, they asked the same questions and 4) are you working with a exit company? They said we were good to go and he would submit an application for us. He also said the program was on hold BECAUSE they pause periodically just to take care of the backlog. I asked if he believed it would be resumed and he said he was confident it would be. He said to call back in 10 weeks to see the status of the situation. We asked if we were responsible for 2025 fees if things get delayed and he said no.

HappyRon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk
SummerBay
Wyndham
Perennial Vacation Club
Grand Timberlodge
Hilton
He also said that we can still go to our presentation in Dec even if our timeshare gets canceled before that! So my girlfriend's decision to squeeze another little vacation out of this mess worked out okay.

TPNOVO

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ridge on Sedona Golf Resort (HVC)
GOOD NEWS!!!!

April 2024 - Called up and asked about the transitions program and talked to a very nice lady who asked us some questions 1) are you all paid up 2) Are you the original owner and 3) can I talk you out of it? She said we were good to go.

UNFORTUNATELY, my girlfriend wanted to squeeze more money out of these people and decided to wait until we attended a presentation in Dec to get a three-day stay and then cancel afterward. Now I've read the program is on hold

JULY 3 - Called Transitions again, they asked the same questions and 4) are you working with an exit company? They said we were good to go and he would submit an application for us. He also said the program was on hold BECAUSE they pause periodically just to take care of the backlog. I asked if he believed it would be resumed and he said he was confident it would be. He said to call back in 10 weeks to see the status of the situation. We asked if we were responsible for 2025 fees if things get delayed and he said no.
Thanks for the update! So as of April when you first called, it wasn’t yet on pause? I first called in late June, and it was on pause, but they’ve already confirmed we meet all the criteria and have us in a “pending” status now, awaiting the program to resume. Nobody would give me any kind of a timeframe though, 10 weeks doesn’t sound bad, well before next MF would be due 🥳 I also listed my ownership here as a free giveaway, and if someone wants it before they resume, I’ll be happy that way too!

HappyRon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk
SummerBay
Wyndham
Perennial Vacation Club
Grand Timberlodge
Hilton
Thanks for the update! So as of April when you first called, it wasn’t yet on pause? I first called in late June, and it was on pause, but they’ve already confirmed we meet all the criteria and have us in a “pending” status now, awaiting the program to resume. Nobody would give me any kind of a timeframe though, 10 weeks doesn’t sound bad, well before next MF would be due 🥳 I also listed my ownership here as a free giveaway, and if someone wants it before they resume, I’ll be happy that way too!

Yes in April they did not mention a pause.

TPNOVO

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The good news is that you can cancel your Club membership right away. If you bought in 1998, it's most likely a deeded contract. When you cancel the Club, you can only book your home resort, or exchange it (for a small fee) through the Hilton Xchange program. The Club membership is not transferable to anyone except family members. The bad news is that the 1500 points you purchased is probably a second contract, and you'll really have a hard time giving away such a small amount of points. Deeded contracts are easier to give away because the maintenance fees without the Club dues are about 50% less than the equivilent about of points.
Thanks again for this tip! I've received paperwork for canceling my Club membership, but haven't been able to find out if it is truly going to cancel both the Club Dues and the US Collection Assessment portion associated with that extra 1500 points I bought when converting my deeded week to allocated Club points, or just the Club Dues. Rep at Club told me it's a consolidated account, so it will cancel all of it, but Titles and Financial Services think that's incorrect, that I'll still have the US Collections trust points (and fees), and will just get rid of Club Dues.

Do you know, is there any way to use US Collection points, WITHOUT being in The Club? Would that be through DEX? I've found member guides for Dex for deeded owners vs for Club members, but not sure what happens to Collection points if opting out of the Club? Would the points still have the same relative value to book units within the US Collection resorts (ie I could still get a short stay Sedona for less than 1500 points, like I can right now while in The Club)? The cancellation form was emailed from "Club Contracts" dept, and no phone number apparently exists for them 🤦‍♀️

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Great to see Transitions back working this quarter. Perhaps the budget is quarterly instead of annual?

TPNOVO

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Great to see Transitions back working this quarter. Perhaps the budget is quarterly instead of annual?
They’re still on hold for new requests. Canceling the Club membership is a separate process, and will possibly only get rid of Club Dues, not trust point fees.

lazydaisy

Reaction score
Please clarify, is DRI/HGV taking back deeds that were resales by a previous owner to a new owner?

TPNOVO

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Please clarify, is DRI/HGV taking back deeds that were resales by a previous owner to a new owner?
No. They have a detailed list of criteria to qualify for their deedback program (“Transitions”) and being the original owner is on the list.

lazydaisy

Reaction score
Thanks I didn't/don't understand what was is by "purchased your vacation ownership from a predecessor whose developer rights were acquired by Diamond Resorts."

Arusso

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks I didn't/don't understand what was is by "purchased your vacation ownership from a predecessor whose developer rights were acquired by Diamond Resorts."
BTW, welcome to the premier forum for TS and related subjects! I am familiar with DRI having owned for almost 30 years. I used the Transitions program successfully last year. I had owned 2 deeded units purchased by the original developer in the early 1990s. the original developer then sold its inventory to a company called Signature Resorts. Signature was rebranded to Sunterra. This company initiated a Club in 1999. Owners wishing to do so entered into a contract leasing their deeded units to Sunterra in exchange for a set number of points per category of unit owned, season, etc. This point allocation was NEVER changed despite inflation within the economy. Over time Sunterra expanded by mostly acquiring existing resorts and added them to its portfolio. Unfortunately Sunterra suffered the consequences of being overleveraged and did not have the cash flow required to maintain profitable operations. In addition, the HOAs did not have the cash to maintain many resorts adequately nor were reserve accounts sufficient to account for repairs and natural disasters. Most of the resorts in the portfolio suffered as a result. Sunterra was forced to sell. It was acquired by a Las Vegas developer, Diamond Resorts, which, in the world of TS was a mom and pop operation. Sunterra was purchased at a fire sale price. DR quickly became DRI because it had acquired resorts outside the US. Over the next several years, DRI invested in refurbishing the resorts that had fallen in disrepair and AGGRESSIVELY began to acquire smaller developers. Each acquisition was placed in a Trust. Cross agreements between and among Trusts allowed most owners to exchange. DRI's business plan then became clear to this former owner when I discovered in late spring of 2016 that DRI had been negotiating with one of the largest investment capital firms. DRI was a public company. Indeed in June, the sale was announced to Apollo Global Management. The public disclosure confirmed what I had speculated. AGM's interest was to grow the pot to make the portfolio attractive for resale to one of the large branded hospitality companies. Indeed, after raising a phenomenal amount of cash (as the reader might suspect, all resort fees, MFs and related were industry leaders) AGM announced that Hilton had agreed to acquire the DRI portfolio of resorts effective August 2021. So, if any owner had purchased from any of the aforementioned "original" developers, they would qualify for Transitions. Good luck.

TPNOVO

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks Arusso. Not sure where my timeshare purchase fits in with all the above info so I'm going to apply and let them tell me if I'm eligible for the transition program.
If you bought directly from a salesperson at a Diamond (or prior company) resort, you are considered an original owner. If you bought resale, you won’t be eligible.

That said, I was an original owner who decided to list my deeded unit here as a free giveaway, while waiting to see if Transitions would start back up (it’s still “on pause” with no known date if or when it will resume.) I found a taker here in about a week. The transfer process just completed and I’m out of my deeded ownership thanks to TUG! 🥳 I agreed to pay all transfer fees, which was less than paying another year of maintenance fees to stay in good standing and wait for them to take it back 😉

lazydaisy

Reaction score
I've posted mine, still waiting for someone who might be interested. I'm at the point where I am giving it away, it's just mot worth it and I am wiling to pay closing and any fees.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
costs nothing to reach out to the transitions department and ask.

if we have learned anything, its that the policies these deedback programs run under change regularly!

ask, ask again, ask often, ask until they give in! emails are free =)

Arusso

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Arusso. Not sure where my timeshare purchase fits in with all the above info so I'm going to apply and let them tell me if I'm eligible for the transition program.
You are welcome

angelodvl

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Palm Canyon Resort
I called today about giving back my timeshare. The lady was very nice and said it was on pause right now and wasn't sure when the pause would end. She also said it would cost $1000 at the end of the transition. I submitted my paperwork and it will be in hold till the pause is complete

Where can I list my timeshare free?

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo

angelodvl

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Palm Canyon Resort
GOOD NEWS!!!!

JULY 3 - Called Transitions again, they asked the same questions and 4) are you working with a exit company? They said we were good to go and he would submit an application for us. He also said the program was on hold BECAUSE they pause periodically just to take care of the backlog. I asked if he believed it would be resumed and he said he was confident it would be. He said to call back in 10 weeks to see the status of the situation. We asked if we were responsible for 2025 fees if things get delayed and he said no.
Can you let me know what they tell you when you call them back?

rkTugg59

TUG Member
Reaction score
I called today about giving back my timeshare. The lady was very nice and said it was on pause right now and wasn't sure when the pause would end. She also said it would cost $1000 at the end of the transition. I submitted my paperwork and it will be in hold till the pause is complete

Where can I list my timeshare free?
I have been approved for this process and was told exactly the same thing that it is on pause. Received an email with a specific number for my request. Hope it goes through. I was told I would not have to pay the next dues. Hope that is correct.