• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Have you used this information to deed-back your DRI Timeshare?

• Yes, DRI took back my DRI TimeShare (or DRI said they will take back my TS)

Votes: 148 87.6%
  • No, DRI said they would not take back my TimeShare

Votes: 21 12.4%

• Total voters

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
an owner reported today they contacted diamond and were told the transitions program has been put "on hold"...certainly a curious message and id like to know if anyone else has been given the same message as well?

hopefully @Benny23 can provide an update!

FunnyFarm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Point @ Poipu, Lawai Beach Resort, MROP/VRI, Worldmark
Is this correct?
If you buy a small contract of 5000 pts then discover it's too small to do anything so you "upgrade" to 10,000, then decide even more is better and upgrade again to 20,000 points, you now have 3 contracts. Then transitions would be 3x$1000 to divest? If you sell the contracts to a new owner then there would be 3 transfer fees? Do I have that right?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
yes reported cases have indicated the fee is per contract.

though its always best to call and ask!

Magumba

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacation Club
an owner reported today they contacted diamond and were told the transitions program has been put "on hold"...certainly a curious message and id like to know if anyone else has been given the same message as well?

Yes they told me its on hold, Ive been waiting for 3 months. I want out. Im paid off and up to date on maintenance.

TPNOVO

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ridge on Sedona Golf Resort (HVC)

I just found this forum and thread a few days ago. I emailed them, and their reply included:
"Members/owners are welcome to submit a Transitions request if they are eligible. However, I would like to inform you that Transitions approval is currently on pause, and we do not have a timeframe for when it will resume.

While HGV Transitions is currently on pause, applications will be kept on file. During the pause, and if your account is current, we encourage you to continue using your vacation ownership.

When the program resumes, we’ll evaluate applications on file to ensure they meet the qualifying criteria of the specified contract, membership or ownership. Applications are reviewed on a first-come, first-served basis."

:oops: We just want out too. So the "Free Timeshares" forum here is the place to post and see if anyone wants it for free?, while we wait for them to (hopefully) un-pause? Thank you!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I can only guess that they have already reached their limit for 2024 on what they will take back via transitions, or maybe they only take units back for the first 6months now?

if there is no option to surrender then that leaves you with giving it away or default as the two remaining options to exit.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
What about for Arizona owners or properties in Arizona? Wasn't one of the requirements of their settlement with the Arizona AG that they create the deed back program? Perhaps that was only for a certain period of time?

TPNOVO

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What about for Arizona owners or properties in Arizona? Wasn't one of the requirements of their settlement with the Arizona AG that they create the deed back program? Perhaps that was only for a certain period of time?
I actually am in AZ, and we bought in AZ (Sedona) - does anyone have a link to more info on this that may save me more hours searching down this depressing rabbit hole? I do know our fee should be $250 (rather than $1000) per contract to deed it back, if only they weren’t on hold.

I have been digging through all I can find, and am still not even clear exactly what is “sellable” (for free) based on our deeded purchase in 1998 with Sunterra, our buy-in to Diamond’s “Club” in 2010 (that determined our initial purchase was worth 5000 points) and new contract purchasing 1500 more points, and (the third annual bill we pay) for Club membership/dues (which I’m reading is not sellable/transferrable without new owner of timeshare possibly paying a new fee to join??) And now it’s HGVC (or just HVC?)

Despite how long we’ve been owners, we’ve hardly used it outside of Sedona, and not at all for more than 3 years now. I am admittedly a newbie who doesn’t really grasp what we can sell (give away) to even create that “free timeshares” ad here with all the suggested details 😔 So glad to have found this community, and if anyone here wants it, I’d gladly give it away before giving it back to them!! Thank you!

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
I actually am in AZ, and we bought in AZ (Sedona) - does anyone have a link to more info on this that may save me more hours searching down this depressing rabbit hole? I do know our fee should be $250 (rather than $1000) per contract to deed it back, if only they weren’t on hold.

I have been digging through all I can find, and am still not even clear exactly what is “sellable” (for free) based on our deeded purchase in 1998 with Sunterra, our buy-in to Diamond’s “Club” in 2010 (that determined our initial purchase was worth 5000 points) and new contract purchasing 1500 more points, and (the third annual bill we pay) for Club membership/dues (which I’m reading is not sellable/transferrable without new owner of timeshare possibly paying a new fee to join??) And now it’s HGVC (or just HVC?)

Despite how long we’ve been owners, we’ve hardly used it outside of Sedona, and not at all for more than 3 years now. I am admittedly a newbie who doesn’t really grasp what we can sell (give away) to even create that “free timeshares” ad here with all the suggested details 😔 So glad to have found this community, and if anyone here wants it, I’d gladly give it away before giving it back to them!! Thank you!
The good news is that you can cancel your Club membership right away. If you bought in 1998, it's most likely a deeded contract. When you cancel the Club, you can only book your home resort, or exchange it (for a small fee) through the Hilton Xchange program. The Club membership is not transferable to anyone except family members. The bad news is that the 1500 points you purchased is probably a second contract, and you'll really have a hard time giving away such a small amount of points. Deeded contracts are easier to give away because the maintenance fees without the Club dues are about 50% less than the equivilent about of points.

TPNOVO

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The good news is that you can cancel your Club membership right away. If you bought in 1998, it's most likely a deeded contract. When you cancel the Club, you can only book your home resort, or exchange it (for a small fee) through the Hilton Xchange program. The Club membership is not transferable to anyone except family members. The bad news is that the 1500 points you purchased is probably a second contract, and you'll really have a hard time giving away such a small amount of points. Deeded contracts are easier to give away because the maintenance fees without the Club dues are about 50% less than the equivilent about of points.
Thanks for the quick reply! I made a separate post with more details, hoping this link works, can you suggest anything more with this info? If I cancel my club membership, could a current club member that I give mine to, increase their points with mine? Or should I also just abandon the US collection/1500 pts if canceling the club membership, and focus on giving away the deeded original purchase? Thank you!

Thread 'how to list hvc/dri timeshare'
https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/how-to-list-hvc-dri-timeshare.365250/

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I can only guess that they have already reached their limit for 2024 on what they will take back via transitions, or maybe they only take units back for the first 6months now?

if there is no option to surrender then that leaves you with giving it away or default as the two remaining options to exit.
It may be similar to ROFR budget. If they have a budget for the year for deedbacks, when it's used they stop. There was a rush at the beginning of this year returning ownerships per the threads so not surprised it is depleted.

TPNOVO

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It may be similar to ROFR budget. If they have a budget for the year for deedbacks, when it's used they stop. There was a rush at the beginning of this year returning ownerships per the threads so not surprised it is depleted.
If that’s the case, we may get a chance to give it back in January? But then, if we don’t pay the MF due by 1/1, we’d become ineligible for Transitions. Catch 22. 😔

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
yes, chances are much higher in deeding an ownership back earlier in the year vs later...however chances are also high that you would have to pay the 2025 maintenance fees.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Thanks for the quick reply! I made a separate post with more details, hoping this link works, can you suggest anything more with this info? If I cancel my club membership, could a current club member that I give mine to, increase their points with mine? Or should I also just abandon the US collection/1500 pts if canceling the club membership, and focus on giving away the deeded original purchase? Thank you!

Thread 'how to list hvc/dri timeshare'
https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/how-to-list-hvc-dri-timeshare.365250/
When you want to get rid of your ownership, you have to pay HVC/Diamond for each of your contracts. That's why I don't think you'll find anybody to take you 1500 points since they're probably in a separate contract. You can find if they're separate by logging in and going to the My Account/Financial Services/Make a Payment page. You should see one Ref # for your Club membership, and two Contract #'s, one for your deed, and one for the points.

TPNOVO

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When you want to get rid of your ownership, you have to pay HVC/Diamond for each of your contracts. That's why I don't think you'll find anybody to take you 1500 points since they're probably in a separate contract. You can find if they're separate by logging in and going to the My Account/Financial Services/Make a Payment page. You should see one Ref # for your Club membership, and two Contract #'s, one for your deed, and one for the points.
Got it, yes they are. So my best bet for the 1500 club points is probably to wait out the Transitions to see if they “un-pause” so I can hopefully give back to them for $250 (AZ). Or just stop paying and hope it’s too small of an amount for them to pursue legally. And try to just give away the deeded Sedona ownership before MF are due 1/1. Thanks again artringwald and @TUGBrian !

pearce

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Atlantic Palace, Atlantic City, NJ
The Wellington, Rhode Island
Grand Beach, Orlando, FL
If you buy a small contract of 5000 pts then discover it's too small to do anything so you "upgrade" to 10,000, then decide even more is better and upgrade again to 20,000 points, you now have 3 contracts. Then transitions would be 3x$1000 to divest? If you sell the contracts to a new owner then there would be 3 transfer fees? Do I have that right?

pearce

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Atlantic Palace, Atlantic City, NJ
The Wellington, Rhode Island
Grand Beach, Orlando, FL
I had 5 separate deeds and Bluegreen charged me $500 per deed to transfer them to new owner. I was pretty upset over the $2500.

trippka

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond Resorts Hawaii Collection, Diamond Resorts Cabo Azul Collection, Grand Colorado Peak 8, Grand Timber Lodge, Grand Lodge on Peak 7, Vidanta, Westin Lagunamar, Palace Resorts, Hard Rock, Marriott Aruba Surf, Marriott Kauai Beach
You are all probably right that they don't have the budget or need for the DRI points or deeds being returned. It increases the maintenance fees to be paid by the company until they are sold. Perhaps they would rather sell HGVC than HVC? I know that every DRI owner update recently has been trying to sell me a deed at a property different than where I am vacationing. I also feel it is a remote possibility that they will implement a real buyback program for DRI points and make the restrictions on the secondhand points less onerous. They are supposed to be "harmonizing" the two companies. That would either mean making it less attractive to buy HGV deeds on the secondary market or losing some restrictions on the secondhand DRI points. With collections, there is one giant pool, so nearly impossible to sell out of the collections with lots of properties. However, I have heard rumors that the Cabo Collection, with just one property is closer to selling out, so they are trying to sell HGV deeds from that location. Wouldn't you think they would be willing to buy back points or deeds from Cabo Azul? And wouldn't you think that there would be a market for Cabo Azul Max points? The person would get priority booking at Cabo Azul and 6 months for any of the leftovers in either HGV or DRI. I suspect they are rethinking the overall strategy.

Last edited:

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Perhaps they would rather sell HGV than HVC?
HGV is the parent company of HVC, HGVC (Hilton Grand Vacations Club), HC (Hilton Club) and now BG (I can hardly wait for their new confusing name). And no, they are actually pushing HVC trust points because HGV has too many of them when they purchased DRI. But a salesperson will sell you whatever you will purchase retail.

trippka

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond Resorts Hawaii Collection, Diamond Resorts Cabo Azul Collection, Grand Colorado Peak 8, Grand Timber Lodge, Grand Lodge on Peak 7, Vidanta, Westin Lagunamar, Palace Resorts, Hard Rock, Marriott Aruba Surf, Marriott Kauai Beach
HGV is the parent company of HVC, HGVC (Hilton Grand Vacations Club), HC (Hilton Club) and now BG (I can hardly wait for their new confusing name). And no, they are actually pushing HVC trust points because HGV has too many of them when they purchased DRI. But a salesperson will sell you whatever you will purchase retail.
I have edited my post to correct HGV to HGVC. I have had HC offers as well though while visiting HVC resorts. I am sure you are right that they will sell anything they can. At one point I saw a post that they had to have a real estate license to sell me a deed, but they must have one broker available via email or something as I would bet that none of the salesmen at Cabo Azul are licensed real estate agents in the US to sell me a property in NYC, etc.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
FWIW...The sales rep we had at La Pacifica was a NYC rep who was on temp assignment there.

trippka

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Kind of makes sense, as aren't they both HC?
Yes they are both HC. I was responding to your statement that you doubt that anyone in Mexico sales office has a real estate license to sell in NYC.

trippka

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes they are both HC. I was responding to your statement that you doubt that anyone in Mexico sales office has a real estate license to sell in NYC.
Perhaps HC sales people are working in HVC offices, but I haven't met any. They have rotated some HGVC agents through, so maybe they are being used for selling deeds to trust owners. Good point.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
You may be right. I've only attended HGVC presentations. Perhaps they do not need licensed brokers in HVC sales office at Cabo Azul because they sell the trust as RTU in MX.

In the states I believe it is a land trust so may require a license. Some HGVC offices in the US cannot sell all deeds.