• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 31 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 31st Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

Tens of thousands of subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Have you used this information to deed-back your DRI Timeshare?

• Yes, DRI took back my DRI TimeShare (or DRI said they will take back my TS)

Votes: 149 87.6%
  • No, DRI said they would not take back my TimeShare

Votes: 21 12.4%

• Total voters

TPNOVO

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ridge on Sedona Golf Resort (HVC)
Has anyone else received any recent updates on this? @NachoDaddy just shared a rather unfortunate update on a different thread. 😒 Curious if rumors are just leaking, or they’re officially changing the program to try and suck more money out of all of us still waiting to give back our crappy contracts 😠

NachoDaddy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Powhatan Plantation
Has anyone else received any recent updates on this? @NachoDaddy just shared a rather unfortunate update on a different thread. 😒 Curious if rumors are just leaking, or they’re officially changing the program to try and suck more money out of all of us still waiting to give back our crappy contracts 😠
I run a site on FB (Diamond Resorts US Friends) and that information was posted about 2 weeks ago. I actually used the Transitions program last year (applied in Nov 23 and approved in Dec 23) and, after Diamond's/Hilton's screw ups, was finally Transitioned in July 24. The program was suspended in Feb 24 and from what was posted, it should restart in early 25 but with it now costing 18 months maint fees per point (it is changing from contract based to point based fees). I got this info from 2 different people and of course, it's an attempt by Hilton to grab more money from Diamond owners. And now that I see that BG charges 18 months of fees I know that's where Hilton got the idea from (since Hilton now owns BG as well). And I'm so happy I decided to leave when I did (after 35 years of ownership) because if I had waited, it would have cost me around $18,000 to Transition versus the $6,250 I paid.

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
I run a site on FB (Diamond Resorts US Friends) and that information was posted about 2 weeks ago. I actually used the Transitions program last year (applied in Nov 23 and approved in Dec 23) and, after Diamond's/Hilton's screw ups, was finally Transitioned in July 24. The program was suspended in Feb 24 and from what was posted, it should restart in early 25 but with it now costing 18 months maint fees per point (it is changing from contract based to point based fees). I got this info from 2 different people and of course, it's an attempt by Hilton to grab more money from Diamond owners. And now that I see that BG charges 18 months of fees I know that's where Hilton got the idea from (since Hilton now owns BG as well). And I'm so happy I decided to leave when I did (after 35 years of ownership) because if I had waited, it would have cost me around $18,000 to Transition versus the $6,250 I paid.
Why did you give them $6,250 in place of just walking away like many of us did ?

TPNOVO

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wow. Thank you for the explanation. I’ll be calling transitions dept next week and see if I can get any of this out of them. Slime balls. 🙄

TPNOVO

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Why did you give them $6,250 in place of just walking away like many of us did ?
Some people want to do it right, legally, not dump more bad debt onto the company which just gets passed on to remaining owners as higher fees going forward. It’s like choosing paper over plastic or electric over gasoline. When the companies make it reasonable to follow the “right” path, we do. But if they make it so absurdly expensive, they’re just going to force more people to do it the “wrong” way and default. Greedy and sad.

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some people want to do it right, legally, not dump more bad debt onto the company which just gets passed on to remaining owners as higher fees going forward. It’s like choosing paper over plastic or electric over gasoline. When the companies make it reasonable to follow the “right” path, we do. But if they make it so absurdly expensive, they’re just going to force more people to do it the “wrong” way and default. Greedy and sad.
I would do it right but asking me $1,000 to take back my 15,000 points when they were going to resell my points for $50,000++ and the new buyer would be in the HGVMax program (less perks than what I have in the legacy DRI program) was not right on their side. It was greedy from Hilton. Just removing me as a legacy Silver member was already a win for them.

Also as a Canadian, the process of the transition program was too complicated because I needed to go to the USA and find an attorney or something like that to authenticate the paperwork from what they told me.

I bought my points from Sunterra and not DRI nor Hilton. I gave to DRI and Hilton enough money from my MF as management fees (they charged to the HI Collection 15% of the budget every year as management fees).

Last edited:

Dollie

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
My experience so far with Transitions...........
We own 2 deeded weeks at the Point at Poipu. For these two weeks we get 23,000 Club points a year. We have owned there since 2005. It has become too much for us to make the trip from Maine to Kaua`i like we used to, so we have decided to get out of this timeshare. We contacted Hilton this month about Transitions. This is what we were told:
  • Program is on hold, expect to start again at the end of January 2025.
  • We will have to pay 2025 maintenance fee of $5302 in order to be current and eligible.
  • We will get a conformation from Hilton that we have entered the process. Have received an email.
  • The fee for the transition will be $6007 for the two weeks.
So, if we use Transitions it will cost us $11,309. I’m not sure this is the best way out. I feel they are purposely forcing us to pay next year’s maintenance fee.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We own 2 deeded weeks at the Point at Poipu. For these two weeks we get 23,000 Club points a year. We have owned there since 2005. It has become too much for us to make the trip from Maine to Kaua`i like we used to, so we have decided to get out of this timeshare. We contacted Hilton this month about Transitions. This is what we were told:
  • We will have to pay 2025 maintenance fee of $5302 in order to be current and eligible.
  • We will get a conformation from Hilton that we have entered the process. Have received an email.
So, if we use Transitions it will cost us $11,309. I’m not sure this is the best way out. I feel they are purposely forcing us to pay next year’s maintenance fee.
Can you not use the club points at different resorts closer to you? You don't have to go from Main to Kaua'i.

Dollie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you not use the club points at different resorts closer to you? You don't have to go from Main to Kaua'i.
We’ve been doing that ever since we bought the place. Using rollovers, we would go to Hawai`i for 3 weeks every other year in the winter, and then use the remaining points to go to other places. It’s a lot of points, granted, Hawai`i needs a lot of points, but the other places are no where near as many points. You can’t always get the other places you are interested in. We’ve stayed at the Point 11 times and stayed at other timeshares 25 times, not including 4 hotel stays we did just to use up points. In all these years we’ve only lost 920 points. At 78 and 82 we are slowing down and want more flexibility in where we go and for how long. We feel for the maintenance fees we are paying, we can go to nice places without the restrictions timesharing places on us. It’s just time for a change.

TPNOVO

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is horrible, I’m so sorry to hear this. You did say you have deeded weeks, and Hawaii is a popular destination, have you tried offering your weeks as a give away here to see if someone would be willing to take them over? I had a deeded week in Sedona which I was successfully able to rehome through this forum, for just the cost of the transfer fees for the paperwork and the resort. Significantly less than paying more maintenance fees, in your case. It sure can’t hurt, good luck!

With this news, they made my decision easy for our last stupid 1500 trust points. They’re not getting another penny out of me. Thank you for sharing the “new” Transitions terms. I hope it backfires on their greedy asses 😡

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
wow, 18 months of maintenance fees PER ownership. I guess resorts are finally wising up to adopt the exit company model of collecting thousands to end an ownership.

suppose thats better than paying an exit company to default on your own timeshare! though I fear more people are simply going to stop paying instead.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
This is horrible, I’m so sorry to hear this. You did say you have deeded weeks, and Hawaii is a popular destination, have you tried offering your weeks as a give away here to see if someone would be willing to take them over? I had a deeded week in Sedona which I was successfully able to rehome through this forum, for just the cost of the transfer fees for the paperwork and the resort. Significantly less than paying more maintenance fees, in your case. It sure can’t hurt, good luck!

With this news, they made my decision easy for our last stupid 1500 trust points. They’re not getting another penny out of me. Thank you for sharing the “new” Transitions terms. I hope it backfires on their greedy asses 😡
You do have to pay any outstanding maintenance fees before they will let you transfer it to another owner. That may be okay if the new owner wants to use it in 2025. Keep in mind that the new owner will not get the points, just the use as specified in the deed. However, you can use the deeded week to exchange to other places.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Several years ago I went to an annual meeting for the Point at Poipu when it was still owned by DRI. The DRI rep made a big deal about how the DRI Sales department would pay the HOA for maintenance fees if any were overdue. Why? Because if they were foreclosed, then the Sales department would take over ownership. I don't know if that's still true for all resorts formerly owned by DRI, but nobody should feel guilty walking away when they make it so expensive to give them back.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Would somebody take these deeds if they were posted in the Free Timeshare section? I don't know enough about this resort if somebody might adopt them, but it would be worth the shot instead of paying the $11,309. I believe the MF's would have to be current for this to work.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
wow, 18 months of maintenance fees PER ownership. I guess resorts are finally wising up to adopt the exit company model of collecting thousands to end an ownership.

suppose thats better than paying an exit company to default on your own timeshare! though I fear more people are simply going to stop paying instead.
I am not sure the number of ownerships matter. 18 months of fees is 18 months of fees. It could be better or worse depending on the number of contracts someone owns. In the past it was $1000 per contract and DRI was bad (good for them) at just adding new contracts when "upgrading" owners. They didn't take the old deeds as trade-ins.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I just looked at the bottom line cost for someone for a program that used to be $250 :lol:

its pretty frustrating that these deedback costs have skyrocketed given DRI/HVC is still in active sales.

and as far as i know they STILL wont accept resale contracts back.

TPNOVO

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just hung up with Transitions "application dept" - which is the only time I was able to get a live person to even ask questions to in 3 attempts calling. They told me a similar story, also confirmed there is "no guarantee" that Transitions will resume, but anyone who applied after the pause on May 22, 2024 is "unlikely" to receive approval letter before next year, so we must pay our 2025 MF in order to remain eligible. The beginning of 2025 is "likely" when Transitions will resume. As of September (last month) the Processing Fee has been changed, from a flat $1000 per contract, to 18 months of MF (so it's still unclear but seems like they're angling to collect 12 mos of MF before year end from anyone who already applied, PLUS another 18 mos of MF once they (likely?) tell you that you're approved and it's unpaused next year??) HOWEVER, it seems whatever lawsuit forced them to collect no more than $250/contract in AZ, must still be in effect, because he said for me, in AZ, my processing fee would still only be $250. So maybe that will help anyone else in AZ looking to go this route. BUT, my gut at this point, is they may just keep dragging this out indefinitely, then "change the rules" again or just discontinue the program and bring back something else with a new name. So I'm very hesitant to pay anymore MF and keep hoping/waiting on their "likely/unlikely" verbiage after seeing them already change the rules for everyone who has been waiting for the un-pause.

Oh the HGV site now also reflects the 18 mo MF Processing Fee change:

TPNOVO

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

HGV Transitions Application Form​

We take pride in providing unforgettable vacation experiences and creating opportunities for families and loved ones to build memories that they will cherish forever. While we passionately believe in the value of vacations, we also understand that life's circumstances can change and we acknowledge there are some who may need to move on and leave their vacation ownership behind.

For those who are eligible, HGV Transitions may offer Members and Owners an easy and respectful way to relinquish all or part of their vacation ownership, providing you with the opportunity to transition out of vacation ownership.

Please complete the application below to inquire about exiting your vacation ownership.

Click here for a list of Qualifying Conditions
  • You must have no existing loan balance or other lien encumbering the vacation ownership.
  • You must be current on the payment of all maintenance fees up to the year for which you are relinquishing.
  • You must have a clear and free title to the vacation ownership.
  • All future reservations must be cancelled or traveled on prior to submitting a request. Does not apply to certain Fixed Week/Fixed Unit deeded week owners who have their reservation automatically booked in advance. Please call the Transitions team on 855-342-3689 for more information.
  • Your vacation ownership must be in a Diamond Resorts Collection or managed property. Currently, members who own in the EU Collection do not qualify.
  • You must have purchased your vacation ownership directly from Diamond Resort or from a predecessor whose developer rights were acquired by Diamond Resorts. Members and owners who have inherited or been gifted a vacation ownership from family will qualify if their family members would have qualified.
  • Participation with a timeshare exit or resale company or firm may negatively impact your ability to apply for Transitions.
  • The enrollment and completion in the Transitions program will negate your ability to be added to the Embarc Repurchase program list. In addition, if you are already on the repurchase list, your position will be forfeited upon completion of Transitions.
Where applicable, if you meet the Conditions to Apply for Transitions, we will consider your application on a case-by-case basis, reviewing it both on its own merits and in the context of all other qualifying Transition applications submitted to date. This program is subject to change or termination without notice and in the sole discretion of Diamond Resorts.

Expand to view the list of Frequently Asked Questions
What is HGV Transitions?
For those who are eligible, HGV Transitions may offer Members and Owners an easy and respectable way to exit their vacation ownership.
What are my options for relinquishing my vacation ownership?
Hilton Grand Vacations can assist you with relinquishing all or part of your vacation ownership. Please complete the HGV Transitions Application Form below and HGV Transitions will be in touch once we’ve reviewed your information. If you need additional information, please call the HGV Transitions team at 855-342-3689.
What happens if I want to relinquish my vacation ownership, but I have an outstanding loan?
The loan will need to be paid in full before ownership is transferred. For questions or assistance, call our Portfolio Services department at 888-875-4494 (U.S. and Canada), +1 407-613-3149 (international) or email pfoliosvc@hgvc.com.
Will I lose my Club membership and existing reservations if I sell my vacation ownership?
Your Club membership will end unless you retain ownership at another HGV property. Additionally, your reservations must be canceled or completed before submitting a request to exit your vacation ownership.
Someone offered to help sell my vacation ownership. Is this legitimate?
Always be suspicious of solicitations to rent, sell or advertise your vacation ownership. Often, these are scams conducted by third parties who say they can rent, sell or advertise your timeshare for an upfront fee, but then fail to provide any service. Legitimate companies will accept payment from proceeds at closing or after your unit is rented. For more information, visit HGV’s Timeshare Fraud Education page.
Will I pay any fees to relinquish my vacation ownership interest?
The fee to relinquish your vacation ownership interest is equal to 18 months of maintenance fees, based on the amount charged in the last assessment year. The fee covers the company’s cost to transfer and record the title, as well as the costs HGV will incur related to future maintenance fee payments on your interval.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Original Deeded Poipu Weeks have some value. Have you tried to sell them on TUG? Offer to pay transfer costs. It will be less than Transitions.

NachoDaddy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Powhatan Plantation
Couple of reasons. First, over the 16 years I was with Diamond after they purchased Sunterra in 2007, I attend hundreds (and I mean hundreds) of updates.....for the money. I estimate I took between $30-40 thousand dollars from Diamond as I attended an update with nearly ever single stay per year (around 14 stays per year). So I figured, if Diamond wanted to target someone to make an example, I would be a prime candidate. Second, while the risk of getting a credit ding or worse is minimal when one just walks away from maintenance fees, a risk is still there as any creditor has the right to file a suit if they wish. It's usually not worth the cost to them but they can still legally do so. And third, to me, it was just the right thing to do to follow through with the legal method of shedding my timeshare ownership. I do believe that increasing the price by such a ridiculous amount will cause even more people to just walk and I wouldn't blame them one bit.

NachoDaddy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Powhatan Plantation
I would do it right but asking me $1,000 to take back my 15,000 points when they were going to resell my points for $50,000++ and the new buyer would be in the HGVMax program (less perks than what I have in the legacy DRI program) was not right on their side. It was greedy from Hilton. Just removing me as a legacy Silver member was already a win for them.

Also as a Canadian, the process of the transition program was too complicated because I needed to go to the USA and find an attorney or something like that to authenticate the paperwork from what they told me.

I bought my points from Sunterra and not DRI nor Hilton. I gave to DRI and Hilton enough money from my MF as management fees (they charged to the HI Collection 15% of the budget every year as management fees).
You only use a notary public, not an attorney, to verify the paperwork. All they are verifying is that you signed the paperwork.

NachoDaddy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Powhatan Plantation
I am not sure the number of ownerships matter. 18 months of fees is 18 months of fees. It could be better or worse depending on the number of contracts someone owns. In the past it was $1000 per contract and DRI was bad (good for them) at just adding new contracts when "upgrading" owners. They didn't take the old deeds as trade-ins.
Many owners in the past would concentrate any new contracts into 1 contract when making a purchase specifically in case they wanted to Transition so they would only have to pay $1,000 (or $250 if contract was from AZ). Hilton's new way of running Transitions negates that. Now it's on the number of points in your ownership that you want to Transition, not the number of contracts which I'm sure has ticked quite a few people off.

NachoDaddy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Powhatan Plantation
I just looked at the bottom line cost for someone for a program that used to be $250 :lol:

its pretty frustrating that these deedback costs have skyrocketed given DRI/HVC is still in active sales.

and as far as i know they STILL wont accept resale contracts back.
Correct. Resale deeds and resale points are still ineligible for Transitions.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
You only use a notary public, not an attorney, to verify the paperwork. All they are verifying is that you signed the paperwork.
The difference is being in Canada. A US based Notary Public is usually required for US deeds. That usually means a Canadian has to go to a US consulate or embassy to get a notary for their signature. The US consulate/embassy also charge a hefty fee for this. The alternative is to drive across the border to get something notarized.

Dollie

TUG Member
Reaction score
TPNOVO, dayooper, and geist1223 thank you for the suggestions of either selling or giving away our deeded weeks. We had considered it but decided we didn’t want to deal with this. The Hilton system is complicated as it relates to Diamond. A buyer would have to do their homework to understand the implications of buying these deeds, what they would be getting and what they wouldn’t be getting. We are looking for a easier solution.