• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Have you used this information to deed-back your DRI Timeshare?

• Yes, DRI took back my DRI TimeShare (or DRI said they will take back my TS)

Votes: 148 87.6%
  • No, DRI said they would not take back my TimeShare

Votes: 21 12.4%

• Total voters

Dejlim

Reaction score
Fooled with the Scam

Hi, we are one of the ones who got scammed and I am literally crying because I was told I'm in it forever. We recently merged ours with monarch grand because of all the threats given to us and felt trapped. I just emailed loss mitigation about taking it back. Got a ticket number. Any advice how to make them for sure take it back?

Ty1on

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
26 deedbacks, 1 rejection per the poll. That's pretty darned impressive.

PatJones

Reaction score
:cheer::cheer:
Thanks for feed back. I will give it a try,
will let you know how I get on.

Wish me luck. So glad I found this site.

Hi everyone. I would like to let you know I have been successful in giving back my points DRI. It was a bit awkward to do as I live in the UK,I had to go to a solicitor to swear on oath who I was, then he had to send a copy of Mutual Release Agreement with [a official seal on ] to the Foreing & Commonwealth Office so I could get an Apostille to send to DRI, which cost me £136, I still had the $250 to send to DRI. Once sent to DRI it took about 3months. I asked if I would get any confirmation that I no longer had any ties with DRI I was told no, do you think I should get something? Anybody else been told this? I am glad I no longer own DRI points. I would like to thank everybody for the help you gave me, without your help I would have had to find about £1000 again this year for something I was not using.

Dejlim

Reaction score
Unpaid loan but wants out

That is awesome! I am not sure how mine would work since I have an outstanding loan. I can't pay for it... Anybody has the same issue?

Bill4728

Reaction score
The basic offer was DRI would take back your TS if you owed no money (either a loan or MFs) so I'd guess they will not be willing to take it back

Sorry

Dejlim

Reaction score
Ok I've sent it still telling them about my situation. Will see what they say but not hoping. Wonder though if they will negotiate

Dejlim

Reaction score
Foreclosure on DRI

Hi, I tried negotiating with DRI for the scam they have put our family into and the lady from loss mitigation told us that it needs to be paid in full before we can surrender. We got scammed June 2015 and with all the lies, we cannot pay this truly especially the maintenance fees that they lied about and the grace period. We are thinking of walking away and have it go to foreclosure knowing that credit will be impacted but does anyone know if they will sue? We really cannot afford this and was willing to pay and lose more money just get out of the financial responsibilities but the lady rudely said have it go to foreclosure or would you like me to transfer you to our collection department? Please help!

Culai

TUG Member
Reaction score
:cheer::cheer:

Hi everyone. I would like to let you know I have been successful in giving back my points DRI. It was a bit awkward to do as I live in the UK,I had to go to a solicitor to swear on oath who I was, then he had to send a copy of Mutual Release Agreement with [a official seal on ] to the Foreing & Commonwealth Office so I could get an Apostille to send to DRI, which cost me £136, I still had the $250 to send to DRI. Once sent to DRI it took about 3months. I asked if I would get any confirmation that I no longer had any ties with DRI I was told no, do you think I should get something? Anybody else been told this? I am glad I no longer own DRI points. I would like to thank everybody for the help you gave me, without your help I would have had to find about £1000 again this year for something I was not using.

You should ask for a signed copy of the Release, which is the Release you signed and sent to DRI but it has DRI's signature at the bottom. This is really the finalized legal document, and DRI should send a copy to you.

donnaval

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Quick update here - our check, which we mailed on July 8, was cashed on July 29. Getting closer......

gsagan02

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi, I tried negotiating with DRI for the scam they have put our family into and the lady from loss mitigation told us that it needs to be paid in full before we can surrender. We got scammed June 2015 and with all the lies, we cannot pay this truly especially the maintenance fees that they lied about and the grace period. We are thinking of walking away and have it go to foreclosure knowing that credit will be impacted but does anyone know if they will sue? We really cannot afford this and was willing to pay and lose more money just get out of the financial responsibilities but the lady rudely said have it go to foreclosure or would you like me to transfer you to our collection department? Please help!

Go join a group called DRIP (diamond resorts international protesters). They have templates to use for resigning from DRI. Nothing bad will happen. They may harass you for a couple years, but that's it. Join DRIP. Good info and it is free.

riperoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, just sent my email for a fixed week in Williamsburg, haven't used it other than RCI fodder for years. Lets see what happens. Great info, and thanks!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
is no need to fill out any form with the instructions posted in the first post of this thread, its a very simple email to send to start the process!

riperoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just got my canned reply saying they will be getting back to me in 1 to 2 days. We'll see how it goes. Getting rid of this one for $250 would be a nice win. Thanks again Brian

riperoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Boom, just got this. Less than 24 hours. All in!

"We have reviewed your surrender request and processed it for approval. There
is a $250/contract transfer fee associated with this process. The pertinent
documents will be sent to you via mail by next week. You will receive a cover
letter, the instructions as to how to properly execute the deed, the deed
itself and a self-addressed prepaid envelop. You are given 30 days to return
the document to our office along with the check made payable to Diamond
Resorts International for the fee. Please be sure to make a copy of the deed
for your records prior to sending and please send with an inexpensive tracking
to assure that it gets to our office. Once we receive the executed deed, it
will be forwarded for processing and recording. Please contact us
periodically after you've sent the deed to check status. Once the deed has
been successfully recorded in the appropriate county, you are welcome to
request a recorded copy of the deed.

libralady

Reaction score
Update

In my last post dated 7-28-2015 I gave my sequence of details. In that I stated that I would report back when I received my signed agreements for both contracts.

7-27: Both agreements were signed for the 2 contracts (points) that I had with
Diamond Resorts International. I no longer had Access to website!
7-29: Check finally cleared for both transfer fees.
8-4: I received email from Loss Mitigation which included 2 attachments (my
signed agreements) to download and make copies of for my records.
In the email it also stated DRI would like to thank me for my time and
patience throughout the processing of my Mutual Release Agreements.
They value their relationship with our members. If I have any other
questions or concerns in regards to my request to contact them by phone
or email.

FYI all my correspondence was through email except that I sent the copies that I
downloaded that had been sent to me to be signed and notarized and then I returned back to them for their signature by regular priority mail and confirmation.

I hope my posts have and will be a help for others to give back their timeshares to DRI.
I am very grateful and blessed that I found this site and all the wealth of information that helped me to get rid of the both of mine. Thanks to all who responded to me.
I will continually tune in here to see how many others are and will be able to give their timeshares back.

I am Timeshare Free :wave: and thankful that DRI took back. All in all it was an easy process except during the time going through it that I had to remember to be patient. ;)

marg2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am Timeshare Free :wave: and thankful that DRI took back. All in all it was an easy process except during the time going through it that I had to remember to be patient. ;)

Congrats, libralady!

I'm still waiting for my account to be closed on their website, then I'll be back here waving goodbye, too :)

Rooster333

Reaction score
Im SO HAPPY to have found this thread!!! been trying to sell donate or anything with this timeshare that was a gift from my mother in law at my wedding. "gift" lol anyways its a shame she spent 20K on this and i give it back for free but can't wait to be released from this.

TUGVacationer

TUG Member
Reaction score
DRI Deedback Follow-Up

My deedback to DRI is final! (Thanks DRI!) Here is the final sequence of events:

June 30 - Sent an e-mail to lossmitigation@diamondresorts.com. Within ten minutes I received a prompt response from DRI indicating that a ticket had been created. "Thank you for your e-mail. A new ticket has been created. A Diamond Resorts International Team Member will contact you within 1-2 business days. Please use this ticket number for all future correspondence."

July 12 - By this date, DRI had mailed a draft of the quit-claim deed with instructions to our residence stating what we needed to do to deed back our unit to Diamond Resorts. (We were on vacation July 5-12 and the letter was at our house when we returned home.)

July 18 - Got the quit-claim deed notorized, wrote a check, then mailed the complete package to DRI.

July 22 - On this date, the deed had been sent from DRI Las Vegas to Orlando for title processing. (I only found this out after I saw that my check had cashed. The check cashing prompted me to call and inquire about the status. I was told it would take some time before they received the signed deed back in Las Vegas and that I should continue to wait and call back for status checks.)

July 30 - Saw that my $250 check had been cashed. After this date, I contacted DRI by phone several times to check the status. Each time I called I was told the deed had not been returned yet.

August 10 - Called DRI. They indicated the deed had been returned to their office in Las Vegas and that it would take some time for the DRI account to be closed. One person indicated that they do batch processing at the end of the month to close accounts.

August 15 - Checked my DRI account and poof, the timeshare unit is no longer showing in the DRI system. The message from the system said, "We have no active membership ownership for the credentials you supplied."

I am confident that this process has concluded, but will call one last time to request a hard copy of the signed deed that has been processed. To me that is pro-forma since I kept a copy of the signed/notorized deed that I sent to DRI.:wave:

Note for those wanting to go through this process. Just be patient and follow the DRI instructions. Stay actively engaged by continuing to check the status of the deedback by calling DRI. The waiting can be frustrating, but just be patient. The wait was well worth the administrative effort/burden on my end to see it through to completion ... especially since I already re-directed the money that I would have spent on next year's maintenance fee:whoopie:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
this thread keeps delivering! love it!

marg2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to be patient but it's taking a long time for them to close my account on their website.

July 7: sent signed Warranty Deed back to DRI. They received it July 10th.
July 26: checked DRI site. Still have an account. Sent DRI an email asking if they received my papers and if there is anything else they need to proceed with the voluntary surrender.
July 27: got an email back from DRI with a scan of the recorded Warranty Deed with the county office.
August 17: checked DRI site again. Still have an account. :annoyed:

Should I request a copy of the signed cancellation?

The copy of the Warranty Deed that is now on file with Coconino County does not show a signature of anyone from DRI.

libralady

Reaction score
I'm trying to be patient but it's taking a long time for them to close my account on their website.

July 7: sent signed Warranty Deed back to DRI. They received it July 10th.
July 26: checked DRI site. Still have an account. Sent DRI an email asking if they received my papers and if there is anything else they need to proceed with the voluntary surrender.
July 27: got an email back from DRI with a scan of the recorded Warranty Deed with the county office.
August 17: checked DRI site again. Still have an account. :annoyed:

Should I request a copy of the signed cancellation?

Mar2.. I would at least call DRI to find out when your account will be closed and ask them to send you a signed copy of the cancellation. You actually had a Warranty Deed so I am not familiar with what that form says and who else had to sign besides you.

In my case I didn't have a deed and signed the Mutual Release and Termination of Purchase and Security Agreement.(did you have that form to sign too?) I signed and there was also a place for someone from DRI to sign too. I did everything by email. I called once I saw the account closed (which was done before them cashing my check for $500 since I had 2 contracts with them). The lady told me it would take a few days and it will be posted, which did happen. She sent a request for me in house "stating in receipt of a cancellation letter" for me. I did receive in an email not regular mail the 2 attachments (signed agreements by me and DRI) that I downloaded and made copies for my file. Good luck Marg 2.

Last edited:

marg2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mar2.. I would at least call DRI to find out when your account will be closed and ask them to send you a signed copy of the cancellation. You actually had a Warranty Deed so I am not familiar with what that form says and who else had to sign besides you.

In my case I didn't have a deed and signed the Mutual Release and Termination of Purchase and Security Agreement.(did you have that form to sign too?) I signed and there was also a place for someone from DRI to sign too. I did everything by email. ... The lady told me it would take a few days and it will be posted, which did happen. She sent a request for me in house "stating in receipt of a cancellation letter" for me. I did receive in an email not regular mail the 2 attachments (signed agreements by me and DRI) that I downloaded and made copies for my file. Good luck Marg 2.

Thanks, libralady. It looks like everyone's situation is different. Someone I know had his documents emailed to him, while mine were mailed to me.

Yes, mine was a Warranty Deed, and that's all that was sent to me. There was no area on this Deed for anyone else to sign but me and my co-owner. I did not receive a Mutual Release and Termination of Purchase and Security Agreement form. I'll get in touch with DRI next week to find out the status of my account. Once that's closed, I can breathe. I'm not sure if, in my case, I'd get a cancellation agreement form.

Because I'm Canadian, I had to send a bank draft for the $250, so money comes out of my account when I get it, so using that as an indication of DRI processing my deedback doesn't work. It's comforting to know that the deed is now with the county, though.

We'll get there soon enough, I'm sure. It just seems to be taking longer than others.

Thanks for your help!