• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Have you used this information to deed-back your DRI Timeshare?

• Yes, DRI took back my DRI TimeShare (or DRI said they will take back my TS)

Votes: 148 87.6%
  • No, DRI said they would not take back my TimeShare

Votes: 21 12.4%

• Total voters

apheartsong

TUG Member
Reaction score
I received confirmation of receipt of my paperwork in February. I was told it could take up to 90 days to process. Haven't heard anything back yet.

madness999

Reaction score
Quit Deed and Mutual Release Agreement are different

"Also, I'm a bit concerned reading that you had two witnesses sign. I don't recall my paperwork having space for witnesses, so when I went to the UPS store to get my signature notarized, I didn't have anyone other than the notary sign it. I hope that doesn't affect anything, especially since they already cashed the check."

---------------------------------------

I had two contracts with DRI (long story) and I have had to send in paper work for both of them. The first was a Quit Deed, to give back my deeded Mystic Dunes week. That form required two witnesses and notary.

The second was a Mutual Release Agreement to give back my 2000 additional CLUB points. That one did NOT require witnesses, but did require notary.

So, depending on what your contract is and what form you have had to fill out, that is likely the difference of needing witnesses or not.

For my deed back, my check was cashed on May 28 but I didn't have an update to my DRI account until June 23, so it takes some time after the check is cashed to have everything complete.

I sent my release form in on July 3rd. Am checking daily for my check to be cashed....

NatPatBen

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had two contracts with DRI (long story) and I have had to send in paper work for both of them. The first was a Quit Deed, to give back my deeded Mystic Dunes week. That form required two witnesses and notary.

The second was a Mutual Release Agreement to give back my 2000 additional CLUB points. That one did NOT require witnesses, but did require notary.

Oh, ok! I was giving back 2500 points. I feel relieved. :D

gbdesai

Reaction score
A quick update, we had submitted our request to surrender our 34K of US and Hawaii points spread across 4 contracts on 7/6. We got two letters a few days ago with approvals for surrender of all four contracts (two in each envelope).

We promptly notarized them and sent four checks for $250 each. Maybe we could have sent one for $1K, but better safe...

Hopefully this is all that we need to do based on what we've read of other's successes. Thanks to all for the advice and help.

dontfret

Reaction score
I have not received any further notice about my old account NOR have I heard of any else getting notice about their account being closed. Just the website saying the account was inactive.

I confirmed account termination by email and phone after my website account showed no ownership, and asked for the fully signed Mutual Release agreement to be sent to me when the account was closed. It had both MGV and DRI signatories, and was sent to me by snail mail a week after my web account showed no ownership. Kept that and then shredded all other DRI/MGV documents.:hi:

Last edited:

WarHorse47

Reaction score
After two e-mails and a phone message left requesting confirmation, Loss Mitigation sent us a copy of the special Warrant Deed recorded with Coconino County conveying ownership of our PVC back to ILX Resorts.

Our files have been archived should there be any question or issues that may surface in the future.

Tom

NatPatBen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Free

Update:

6/23 PM - Sent email to lossmitigation following advice of this thread. Included a reason for getting rid of my 2500 annual points and a phone number to call me.

6/24 AM - Received phone call from Ruby at Diamond saying my request to surrender was approved & I should receive paperwork in 5 business days. I'll have to get something signed/notarized and return it along with $250 (personal check, money order, cashier's check... she said any of those are fine).

6/27 PM - Received paperwork in the mail.

6/29 - Sent notarized paperwork and personal check in the mail
Note: I took screenshots of the DRI website showing my account info to have to compare once website shows I'm not an owner.

7/18 - Personal check cashed. Website still shows me as a Valued Club Member.

7/26 - Logged in and saw the wondrous message "We have no active membership or ownership for the credentials you supplied."

I'm free! :whoopie:

marg2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Update:

7/26 - Logged in and saw the wondrous message "We have no active membership or ownership for the credentials you supplied."

I'm free! :whoopie:

Congrats, NatPatBen!

I sent my letter back July 7, they received it three days later (when I checked my tracking). I logged into DRI today and I still have an account :annoyed: So I sent Ruby an email today to have her confirm she received my paperwork and that everything is okay.

Bill4728

Reaction score
I sent my letter back July 7, they received it three days later (when I checked my tracking). I logged into DRI today and I still have an account :annoyed: So I sent Ruby an email today to have her confirm she received my paperwork and that everything is okay.
Don't worry about still having an account, you will till at least 5-10 days after they cash your check.

NatPatBen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Congrats, NatPatBen!

Looking at my timeline, I see that it took 3 days shy of a month from when I sent my letter back until the website showed that I'm no longer a member/owner. Applied to your timeline, I'd expect yours to show that message on August 4, give or take a few days.

Supercat

Reaction score
I sent my email to DRI for deedbacks on 7/20/2015 included all required membership information. Still have not get a call from DRI. Is this BAD SIGN?

marg2

TUG Member
Reaction score
update

June 8: Sent my email request in to Lossmitigation email address, received autoreply.
June 9: Received call saying my request for voluntary surrender has been approved and that I'll be receiving documents in the mail in about 1.5 weeks. Managers need to go over everything first.
June 17: received letter from Diamond, giving me until July 15th to return the signed Warranty Deed, notarized (and for Canadians, also authenticated). There was no indication in the letter I received how much I needed to send for the processing fee, but it did say return with fees, so I called to find out how much they wanted sent (they said $250) and I also asked for an extension because I was going on holidays immediately. They extended my deadline to July 31st. No problem.
July 7: sent notarized and authenticated form to DRI with $250 check. (3 days later, tracking indicated the envelope arrived)
July 7: made an exchange using points I still had remaining (3,000), through II, making a reservation, and not just depositing them in II (as recommended by people here)
July 26: checked DRI site. Still have an account. Sent DRI an email asking if they received my papers and if there is anything else they need to proceed with the voluntary surrender.
July 27: got an email back from DRI with a scan of the recorded Warranty Deed with the county office. I'll check in a few more days to see if I still have an account on the DRI site.

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
congrats Marg!

Supercat

Reaction score
Great news for us. I emailed DRI on 7/20 to take back our points. Never hear back from DRI until today, exactly 7days today we received a letter from DRI accepting our points back. We have until 8/27 to mail back the MGV Points Transfer Agreement plus $250 transfer fee to DRI. We feel a big relief for not having to pay this high maint. fee any more. Glad that DRI make this transfer easy and trouble free. Can not thank you enough to TUGBrian and many of you TUG members for sharing your experience that gave us the confidence and courage.:cheer:

loupeau

Reaction score
Diamond taking back my deed

I tried to get on Diamonds web page to check on status on my deed. I was denied access saying I don't own anything. I hope that means I'm finally out of my timeshare.

libralady

Reaction score
My Sequence of Details which is lengthy, but could be a help to others

6/18: First sent email request to Lossmitigation email address and no instant response and waited.

7/1: Resent email per Marg 2, Bill 4728 (moderator) and Tug Brian(administrator) and received automated response in 15 minutes stating a new ticket # created and to use for all future correspondence.

7/9: I sent another inquiry using my ticket #since the 7/1 message stated that someone would get back to me in 1-2 business days and no one had gotten back to me.

7/9: Within 2 hrs an automated response apologizing for delay in response and request and processed it for Approval. :cheer:They attached in the email 2 Mutual Release and Termination of Purchase and Security Agreements and to send $500 check for Transfer Fees. (I had 2 contracts for 6500 points total) I was told to send back along with my check within 30 days and keep copies of the signed and notarized documents. Email also noted once received it was to be forwarded for processing and account cancellation. Please contact them in 30 days after I send in the release to check status. Once accounts are cancelled I can request a signed copy of Releases’s (in my case 2) for my records.

7/15: I took both documents into my Estate Planner for notarization since one had been in my Trust name. I signed and he notarized and made copies for me. I then took to Post Office and sent by Priority Mail
and confirmation tracking.

7/17: DRI received per confirmation tracking my request.

7/27: I checked my financial account and no personal check to them cashed yet. I then went on to DRI site and logged in and showed my member # but also stated NO ACCESS- We have no active membership or
ownership for the credentials I supplied..I was very happy to read. I still wondered why I didn’t see that my check cashed in my account.

7/28: Today I called DRI and got a live person and she looked up my member #. I had asked if both timeshares been cancelled? She said that it just took place yesterday the 27th and both had been. I asked when my check would be cashed? She had said that it should post in a few days. I will keep looking to make sure that they cash my $500 check. I requested copies of both signed agreements and will report back when I receive them.

Yes this process as another person stated was “simple, straight forward and inexpensive “ I thank all that have taken time to post their process to have helped the rest of us. I am grateful that I found this website.

I am free:wave: and will no longer have to pay the maintenance fees and live in fear of an monetary assessment.

In Conclusion:
I started the process on 6-18-15, but no response back and resent 7-1-15.
Logged into DRI website on 7-27-15 showing No access and process took less than 1 month starting from the 2nd restart on 7-1-15. Good Luck to all!
I am number 24 on the voting poll

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
so happy you found us and the thread and were able to deed your timeshare back!

I truly hope DRI continues this to help more owners!

gsagan02

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think they are still squeezing money out of folks like you. You should just send them a letter telling them that you are resigning your membership in DRI and will not pay them any more money. You are finished with them and that is it.

marg2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think they are still squeezing money out of folks like you. You should just send them a letter telling them that you are resigning your membership in DRI and will not pay them any more money. You are finished with them and that is it.

Someone I've been in touch with lately, who was looking into finding someone to sell their timeshare to, said that the $250 fee is what the recorder office charges, so they really aren't charging us anything to give these deeds back.

oneillma

TUG Member
Reaction score
looks like the deedback is working for me

I sent DRI an email on 7/15/15 and last week received the letter stating they'll accept a deedback.

I just mailed the notarized form and a check for $250 to them, certified mail.

How long after I mail this out should I expect it all to be completed?

And thanks very very very much for providing this information :)

HB2015

TUG Member
Reaction score
Finally, Deed back has happened

Apr. 14 Read about the DRI deedback possibility on TUG
Apr. 15 Followed forum advice and emailed a request
Apr. 15 Ticket no. Received from DRI
May 8 Just received papers re transfer etc. Very excited and pleasantly surprised!!
:banana:

Now to work my way through the legalese!

Ok, this was quite a saga. We struck a hiccup.
As our time share was in Florida we needed to take 2 independent witnesses with us to the notary. In Canada the notary has to also be scrutinized and shown as legal by the government (to do with not belonging to Geneva Convention that governs these things)
Had to repeat the process although DRI had held our cheque awaiting our reworked papers.
Apparently on July 20 all went through and we no longer are time share owners.

We had a great run from our timeshare use for 25 years. We never ever stayed at our resort, even when we bought. It was always going to be used to trade. We traded around the world and had a great run. We used it in Bali, Thailand, Hawaii, Malta, Yucatan Peninsular, Australia, Algonquin Park area, Boston, San Francisco, Sedona, Las Vegas, Quebec. We've gifted weeks as wedding presents, we've used it for family get togethers in.
We are now in our mid 60's and we deemed it time to regulate the disposable income. The perpetuity aspect of the time share I saw as a burden as we aged is now at an end.
So farewell to the Maintenance Fees that have just continued to rise.
We may have had to pay $250 to deed it back but we have used that initial time share investment well and to our advantage over the years. We got our money's worth out of it. I do not have a problem with the $250.
My only regret is that we didn't find TUG sooner.
A huge thank you to this organization. You are a gem!
:cheer:

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We had a great run from our timeshare use for 25 years. We never ever stayed at our resort, even when we bought. It was always going to be used to trade. We traded around the world and had a great run. We used it in Bali, Thailand, Hawaii, Malta, Yucatan Peninsular, Australia, Algonquin Park area, Boston, San Francisco, Sedona, Las Vegas, Quebec. We've gifted weeks as wedding presents, we've used it for family get togethers in.
We are now in our mid 60's and we deemed it time to regulate the disposable income. The perpetuity aspect of the time share I saw as a burden as we aged is now at an end.
So farewell to the Maintenance Fees that have just continued to rise.
We may have had to pay $250 to deed it back but we have used that initial time share investment well and to our advantage over the years. We got our money's worth out of it. I do not have a problem with the $250.
My only regret is that we didn't find TUG sooner.
That's where we expect to be as well in about ten years. (Though we are in our mid-1960s now). We haven't done as much traveling; we've been using our ownership at our resort, and we always had the longer term dream of multi-generational family vacations. We've now had adult children with us almost every year for the last six or so years, with our granddaughter joining us the last two years as well.

When the time comes we will easily walk away, knowing that we got out of it exactly what we had hoped we were purchasing.