• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Have you used this information to deed-back your DRI Timeshare?

• Yes, DRI took back my DRI TimeShare (or DRI said they will take back my TS)

Votes: 148 87.6%
  • No, DRI said they would not take back my TimeShare

Votes: 21 12.4%

• Total voters

Macroy

Reaction score
Update on deedback

Update on our deed back:

Logged into DRI today and got the following: "We have no active membership or ownership for the credentials you supplied."

So for anyone interested:
  • Initial ticket opened in late April.
  • Surrender approved within a day of 'hardship letter'.
  • Received documents in mid-May. Had them notarized and returned within a week.
  • $250 check cashed in late June.
  • Account "terminated" in early July.

So for us, it took just over 10 weeks total.

They were actually pretty responsive with our communication. We inquired twice on status, and both times received prompt responses. So for anyone that needs an update, I wouldn't' hesitate to reach out to them. I'd recommend responding to the original email which would include your ticket number.

Good Luck!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
man, this has truly been a very happy thread for so many owners!

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, HGVC The Bay Club, HGVC Elara, Worldmark
Another Approval

Hi All, Just got a call from DRI and they approved my Deed Back. This is a real nice unit and very flexible. Its a fixed week 24 in Mystic Dunes, 3br lockoff Odd Years. We have broken it up and used it in every possible combination. The maintenance fees are $1400 every other year. We really enjoyed it, but I simply don't trust DRI. If anyone else wants it for $1 plus transfer fees they can have it. I hate for DRI to profit off this...

gbdesai

Reaction score
Hi All, Just got a call from DRI and they approved my Deed Back. This is a real nice unit and very flexible. Its a fixed week 24 in Mystic Dunes, 3br lockoff Odd Years. We have broken it up and used it in every possible combination. The maintenance fees are $1400 every other year. We really enjoyed it, but I simply don't trust DRI. If anyone else wants it for $1 plus transfer fees they can have it. I hate for DRI to profit off this...

May I ask when you sent loss mitigation an email? I sent my request 4-5 days ago and got the immediate auto-response, but that's all... Thanks.

uscav8r

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
May I ask when you sent loss mitigation an email? I sent my request 4-5 days ago and got the immediate auto-response, but that's all... Thanks.

My mom got a more specific email with instructions about 2.5 weeks after her initial email request.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

gbdesai

Reaction score
My mom got a more specific email with instructions about 2.5 weeks after her initial email request.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info! So I won't freak out if I don't hear anything for a week or two...

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, HGVC The Bay Club, HGVC Elara, Worldmark

Typical DRI. They won't call you automatically even though the email says they will. I had to call them and leave a voice mail. They then called me back. They informed me that it had been approved, and the paperwork would go out next week. I first emailed lossmitiation about 7 Days ago. I guess they will resell this to someone for $30K.

gbdesai

Reaction score
Typical DRI. They won't call you automatically even though the email says they will. I had to call them and leave a voice mail. They then called me back. They informed me that it had been approved, and the paperwork would go out next week. I first emailed lossmitiation about 7 Days ago. I guess they will resell this to someone for $30K.

I found the number through the DRI Club (it's 877-497-7521) and spoke to a nice rep named Ashley. I mentioned that I submitted my request 7 days ago and that I got the 1-2 day response email and she apologized and told me they are a week or two behind right now and I can expect the documents in 2-3 weeks from the time of submission based on the current queue.

I guess they are slammed...

lohohonez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Successful Deedback

Hello all,

I didn't want to jinx it by posting too soon, but I just got word that my deedback is final. I'm so relieved! A thousand 'thank yous' to TUGBrian for alerting me to DRI accepting deedbacks.

For those interested, I followed the initial instructions on this thread with the following content in my emails and fax (may be handy as template for those starting the process). I left some of the data in so you know what type of property and points they accepted back...

_________
I’d like to start the process for surrendering my property and points back to DRI.

Resort: Los Abrigados Resort & Spa (and affiliated properties)
Owner:
Account:
Member number:
Type: Premiere Vacation Coll Members Assoc - Restricted Access
Level: Owner
Total banked points: 12,000
Amount due on principle: $0
Amount due for 2015 maintenance fees: $0

Primary reason for wanting to surrender property:

Please advise as to next steps and if there is any other information you need. Thank you in advance for assistance in this matter.

_________

I submitted the emails and fax of the above on March 29th, received my deed back docs in mid-May, received confirmation of DRI's receipt of notarized docs and $250 payment on June 5th, and finally confirmation of the account being cancelled on July 7th.

I was informed that this cancellation notification would only occur through email and if I receive any more automated billing of MF to disregard.

Good luck to everyone going through this process. Overall, it went very smoothly for me, but I may have just been lucky.

Supercat

Reaction score
Hello all,

I didn't want to jinx it by posting too soon, but I just got word that my deedback is final. I'm so relieved! A thousand 'thank yous' to TUGBrian for alerting me to DRI accepting deedbacks.

For those interested, I followed the initial instructions on this thread with the following content in my emails and fax (may be handy as template for those starting the process). I left some of the data in so you know what type of property and points they accepted back...

_________
I’d like to start the process for surrendering my property and points back to DRI.

Resort: Los Abrigados Resort & Spa (and affiliated properties)
Owner:
Account:
Member number:
Type: Premiere Vacation Coll Members Assoc - Restricted Access
Level: Owner
Total banked points: 12,000
Amount due on principle: $0
Amount due for 2015 maintenance fees: $0

Primary reason for wanting to surrender property:

Please advise as to next steps and if there is any other information you need. Thank you in advance for assistance in this matter.

_________

I submitted the emails and fax of the above on March 29th, received my deed back docs in mid-May, received confirmation of DRI's receipt of notarized docs and $250 payment on June 5th, and finally confirmation of the account being cancelled on July 7th.

I was informed that this cancellation notification would only occur through email and if I receive any more automated billing of MF to disregard.

Good luck to everyone going through this process. Overall, it went very smoothly for me, but I may have just been lucky.
Hi Iohohonez, Congratulation! This is the best news for all DRI protestors. Can you share a sample resignation letter/email to DRI? We are also want get out of DRI ASAP.

Enjoy the rest of your life with DRI maint. fee FREE.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
wonderful!!!!

Supercat

Reaction score
Hi All, so nice to hear some of the people got out of DRI nightmare. Is there a resignation letter/email sample out there that we can get some ideas what to say in our resignation. Thank you.

Bill4728

Reaction score
Hi All, so nice to hear some of the people got out of DRI nightmare. Is there a resignation letter/email sample out there that we can get some ideas what to say in our resignation. Thank you.
From the first post of this thread
To start this process, the owner must send an email to: lossmitigation@diamondresorts.com with the subject line stating: Inventory Takeback.

In the email itself the owner must include:
-Resort Name
-Owner(s) Name(s)
-Account Number
-Inventory owned (ie. weeks, points, etc)
-any other important information regarding the deed
Also include a statement that you can no longer deal with the fees associated with ownership

WarHorse47

Reaction score
Seems that the deedback process is going smoother for some but not all?

I've followed the process so far and noticed that our account was inactive on the DRI website on July 7th. I am still waiting for an official notice of some sort before I can close out and archive my files.

This morning I sent my 2nd request for a status on my account. Although my original notification with ticket number stated "Should you have any further question regarding the surrender of your ownership please feel free to respond to this email," I have not received any responses to my e-mail inquiries.

Looks like I need to start making some phone calls to get answers.

Tom

Bill4728

Reaction score
Seems that the deedback process is going smoother for some but not all?

I've followed the process so far and noticed that our account was inactive on the DRI website on July 7th. I am still waiting for an official notice of some sort before I can close out and archive my files.

This morning I sent my 2nd request for a status on my account. Although my original notification with ticket number stated "Should you have any further question regarding the surrender of your ownership please feel free to respond to this email," I have not received any responses to my e-mail inquiries.

Looks like I need to start making some phone calls to get answers.

Tom
I have not received any further notice about my old account NOR have I heard of any else getting notice about their account being closed. Just the website saying the account was inactive.

WarHorse47

Reaction score
I have not received any further notice about my old account NOR have I heard of any else getting notice about their account being closed. Just the website saying the account was inactive.
Interesting, and surprising. I would think that there should be some confirmation on the transfer of timeshare property.

Well, if that is all there is then I can archive my files.

Tom

NatPatBen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Never so happy to have a check cashed

Update:

6/23 PM - Sent email to lossmitigation following advice of this thread. Included a reason for getting rid of my 2500 annual points and a phone number to call me.

6/24 AM - Received phone call from Ruby at Diamond saying my request to surrender was approved & I should receive paperwork in 5 business days. I'll have to get something signed/notarized and return it along with $250 (personal check, money order, cashier's check... she said any of those are fine).

6/27 PM - Received paperwork in the mail.

6/29 - Sent notarized paperwork and personal check in the mail
Note: I took screenshots of the DRI website showing my account info to have to compare once website shows I'm not an owner.

7/18 - Personal check cashed. Website still shows me as a Valued Club Member.

TUGVacationer

TUG Member
Reaction score
DRI Deedback

I saw the thread about Diamond Resorts accepting deedbacks, so I followed the process as indicated at the beginning of this post and here's where things stand.

I sent an e-mail to lossmitigation@diamondresorts.com on Tuesday June 30 indicating that I needed to deedback one of our timeshare units at Mystic Dunes in Florida.

Within ten minutes I received a prompt response from DRI indicating that a ticket had been created (see below).

Thank you for your e-mail. A new ticket has been created. A Diamond Resorts International Team Member will contact you within 1-2 business days. Please use this ticket number for all future correspondence.

After a week vacationing in Hilton Head, I returned home on July 12 to see that DRI had mailed a draft of the quit-claim deed with instructions on what we needed to do to deed back our unit to Diamond Resorts. This is a very simple process, even for our unit which is in a living trust.

Today (July 18), my wife and I took the two-page DRI quit-claim deed to the local UPS store to have it notorized and witnessed by two people. We both had to sign the document. We then wrote a check for $250, made a copy of all the paperwork for our files, then put the originals in a pre-paid envelop for DRI. The paperwork included a copy of the signature page from the living trust. I also sent an e-mail back to loss mitigation referencing the deed back number and let them know that I put the originals in the mail to them and that they should receive the information in a couple of days.

That's all for now. I await a response from DRI, or as others have indicated, I will follow up by checking my DRI account to see when the unit 'drops off' the account.

The folks at DRI have been very professional about this transaction. No intrusive inquiries as to why I am seeking to return the unit, but help along the way including the suggestion to e-mail a copy of the materials back to them since e-mail is faster than snail mail. I am glad they are providing this service and that they have made the process simple, straightforward, and inexpensive.:)

NatPatBen

TUG Member
Reaction score

Today (July 18), my wife and I took the two-page DRI quit-claim deed to the local UPS store to have it notorized and witnessed by two people. We both had to sign the document.
The folks at DRI have been very professional about this transaction. No intrusive inquiries as to why I am seeking to return the unit, but help along the way including the suggestion to e-mail a copy of the materials back to them since e-mail is faster than snail mail. I am glad they are providing this service and that they have made the process simple, straightforward, and inexpensive.:)

The email part was a good suggestion. I wish I had thought to do that.
Also, I'm a bit concerned reading that you had two witnesses sign. I don't recall my paperwork having space for witnesses, so when I went to the UPS store to get my signature notarized, I didn't have anyone other than the notary sign it. I hope that doesn't affect anything, especially since they already cashed the check.

donnaval

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We had to have two witnesses, also - something in the cover letter said the deed had to have witnesses in order to be valid, but maybe it is state-specific - we are relinquishing a Florida timeshare. It was kind of a pain because we are rural, the notary is in town, and we had to impose on some friends to go with us. My check has not been cashed yet; we mailed it on July 8.

marg2

TUG Member
Reaction score
The email part was a good suggestion. I wish I had thought to do that.
Also, I'm a bit concerned reading that you had two witnesses sign. I don't recall my paperwork having space for witnesses, so when I went to the UPS store to get my signature notarized, I didn't have anyone other than the notary sign it. I hope that doesn't affect anything, especially since they already cashed the check.

Some states require 2 witnesses. Florida does for sure. Someone else I know had to do the process all over again because they didn't realize they needed two witnesses. Mine is in Arizona, and I think just the notary is fine. In Canada we also have to then get the notarized document authenticated...something to do with our not signing the Hague Convention. But DRI gave us instructions about that, so we knew it had to be done.

Lets Get Going

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some states require 2 witnesses. Florida does for sure. Someone else I know had to do the process all over again because they didn't realize they needed two witnesses. Mine is in Arizona, and I think just the notary is fine. In Canada we also have to then get the notarized document authenticated...something to do with our not signing the Hague Convention. But DRI gave us instructions about that, so we knew it had to be done.

I am in Florida and my deed back paperwork from DRI only asked for our signatures to be notorized...nothing about two witnesses.

Started the process May 23rd with the original email request to DRI. Received an immediate email response accepting our MGV points along with the needed paperwork and instructions (again, notary but no witnesses) and $250. Sent all paperwork back to DRI within a few days. Our personal check was cashed mid-June and today I checked our DRI account and it says we are FREE!!

:cheer: :whoopie: :hi:

marg2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am in Florida and my deed back paperwork from DRI only asked for our signatures to be notorized...nothing about two witnesses.

Started the process May 23rd with the original email request to DRI. Received an immediate email response accepting our MGV points along with the needed paperwork and instructions (again, notary but no witnesses) and $250. Sent all paperwork back to DRI within a few days. Our personal check was cashed mid-June and today I checked our DRI account and it says we are FREE!!

:cheer: :whoopie: :hi:
If your timeshare is in Florida you likely will need 2 witnesses. But wait and see. DRI will let you know if it needs to be done again