• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sticky - Give back your unwanted wyndham Timeshare - Wyndham Ovations / Wyndham Cares / Certified Exit

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
So called today and was told resale contracts not eligible to use the exit program. Apparently they made this change last month. So disappointed we didn’t get the ball rolling sooner.
Called again today.. was informed they are not taking Converted week contracts at this time. To try again at a later date.

Which resort do you own at?

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
Called again today.. was informed they are not taking Converted week contracts at this time. To try again at a later date.
That makes a lot more sense to me. CE has at times taken and not taken weeks or converted weeks based contracts for certain resorts. IME CE has limits for certain contract types at certain resorts that change over time. Once the ratio/threshold or maximum amount of weeks/points has been exceeded, the CE program won't take any more contracts until the amount on hand falls below a certain threshold, that's likely why they said to try again at a later date. The original "CE doesn't take resale" seems to be a default excuse that is used by all Wyndham departments when they don't have any other reason to give. It's the old "blame it on resale" approach.

Last edited:

stuckeywig

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
weeks 27 and 41 at Shawnee-On-The-Delaware
I own 2 fixed weeks at a Wyndham Resort (Shawnee in the Pocono Mountains). They were originally bought by my parents in the early 70s; When they no longer wanted to travel, they deeded them to my wife and me, and I have used them for over 20 years. My now ex-wife is still on the deed, but she does not want them either. Nor our adult children. I am now 73 and have too many health challenges to continue using them, I was hoping I was eligible for their CE program but was told we were not eligible. They gave me two exit companies to contact, supposedly with no upfront fees. They negotiate with the buyers for their fees. One is Fidelity Real estate 800-218-8221. And the other is Timeshare Broker Assoc. 877-624-6889. Does anyone know if they are legit?

Fido Chuckwagon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort; Wyndham Bonnet Creek; Wyndham Bali Hai; Wyndham Canterbury; Wyndham Grand Desert; Marriott Grand Chateau
Fidelity is legit, they’re just a resale broker, but given that those weeks have no value whatsoever, listing them with Fidelity is not going to work. You could attempt to give the weeks away on Tug with an incentive, but I doubt there would be any takers. Other option is to just default.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Grand Desert, Kingsgate, Bali Hai, Oceanside
There was a post today (anonymous, but appears perfectly credible) in the Wyndham Timeshare Users Group detailing a resale owner's experience contacting CE and having two resale contracts accepted to give back. It sounds like they're really accepting contracts as they always have - there's a handful of locations they may not accept at any moment, and those tend to be the older locations.

RENTER

Reaction score
People are scared of the word foreclosure. But how many people in your life that you know have been foreclosed on, evicted, had their car repossessed, declared bankruptcy and still somehow survive. Someone I know was evicted from his home after not paying the mortgage for 5 years and the State is paying section 8 rent for him, his utilities, his health care, food. Yesterday he drove up in a new car. Granted this is not a situation many want to be in, but people do survive.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
would love to hear from someone who has called to surrender a resale contract in the past few weeks and was accepted!

I still have had no confirmation from wyndham despite a number of attempts and requests to rather significant executives.

I WANT this to be a mistake, as wyndham has always been the gold standard for deedback programs.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Grand Desert, Kingsgate, Bali Hai, Oceanside
would love to hear from someone who has called to surrender a resale contract in the past few weeks and was accepted!
I have no reason to disbelieve the Facebook poster I mentioned above. The information they shared was detailed and they seemed to have a good understanding of their ownership and the system. They initiated the process this week.

RENTER

Reaction score
I am being a smart aleck and not serious, but I do wonder. It concerns people who are giving back their timeshares because Wyndham declared them a commercial operation and no longer allowed to rent. Since the timeshare is no longer worth anything compared to what they paid for it, can they write off the loss? Probably not but it may be worthwhile to look into it because it may be something no one considered, and they may be able to.

Fido Chuckwagon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort; Wyndham Bonnet Creek; Wyndham Bali Hai; Wyndham Canterbury; Wyndham Grand Desert; Marriott Grand Chateau
I am being a smart aleck and not serious, but I do wonder. It concerns people who are giving back their timeshares because Wyndham declared them a commercial operation and no longer allowed to rent. Since the timeshare is no longer worth anything compared to what they paid for it, can they write off the loss? Probably not but it may be worthwhile to look into it because it may be something no one considered, and they may be able to.
No, it’s basically impossible under IRS rules for a fractional use timeshare. This website has a good explanation as to why:
If a timeshare qualifies as rental property, losses incurred on its sale are tax deductible. However, this is rarely possible. A timeshare will qualify as a rental property only if:

• it was rented at fair market value to unrelated parties for 15 days or more during the year, and
  • its owners did not personally use it for more than 14 days per year or 10% of the total days rented, whichever is greater.
When determining the rental and personal use days for the 15-day, 14-day, and 10% cutoffs, you must include the combined use of all the owners of the timeshare unit. The result is that personal use by any owner of a timeshare is considered personal use by all of the owners—for example, if you use your timeshare zero days, but the other owners use it 300 days, you have 300 days of personal use.

This makes it virtually impossible to satisfy the fewer-than-15-days or 10% personal use tests. For this reason, few timeshares can be classified as rental property.

RENTER

Reaction score
This issue does not affect me since I use the resorts for personal use so I cannot write it off as a loss. Again, I am being a smart aleck and not serious, just curious. I have no opinions to argue with people because I do not know. But in that NOLO article, it says it is rare if you treat it as a rental property. But you can do it if you treat it as a business and own it just for renting and not for any personal use.

So, if Wyndham declares you a commercial operation and you never used it, I wonder if you can write it off?

Going back to the NOLA article, it says at first owners and then later says all owners of the timeshare. I did further research and none said all owners. So, are we at what does is mean? What does commercial mean? What does owner mean?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

stevenh21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Flagstaff, Wyndham Villas at Fairfield, Harbortown Point(Ventura, CA)
We have owned a 2BR unit at what used to be Fairfield Plantation in Villa Rica, Georgia, west of Atlanta. It is now known as Club Wyndham Villas at Fairfield. Our unit is part of the Tara Cove HOA. It is a fixed week 24 that we have owned for 35 years. We have visited 2 or 3 times and traded the remaining years in the old FAX system, and then with RCI. We tried unsuccessfully to convert to points about 3 years ago, and again last spring. July 16 I called Certified Exit to try to have them take it back. He took my information and thought there might be a possibility. He talked to someone in the Cares Dept. who then took over, but both gentlemen were on the line. I was told that Certified Exit can only be used if the HOA has an agreement with Wyndham to take back units and that Tara Cove ha no such agreement in place. I was then given the names of the two real estate companies that are often mentioned in this Sticky. I was encouraged to contact them, "It couldn't hurt to try."

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
have been getting more and more folks emailing me after being rejected by certified exit. its very frustrating to hear and I still have hope that perhaps its just an "end of year" change with things going back to normal in january though sadly it will require folks to pay another years worth of maint fees!

will say that if the resort is only managed by wyndham, vs owned by wyndham that would explain a rejection. wyndham really has no way to "take that back and resell it" like they could with a resort they actually own. Sounds like that might be the case here with the resort still being independently owned, but wyndham manages it and as such your statements come with a wyndham logo on them?

have you reached out to the homeowners association directly to inquire about a deedback instead of wyndham?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
@stevenh21 You could stop paying fees, but as Brian suggested, a call to the resort might work. After that, you can always just walk away.

I am in the process of trying to deed back a fixed week/ fixed unit in NC with Bluegreen and have been ignored, even though we paid the special assessments totaling nearly $3,000 over the last 3 years. I would bet we are up for another round and another increase of fees. I should have walked away before all of this.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
have been getting more and more folks emailing me after being rejected by certified exit. its very frustrating to hear and I still have hope that perhaps its just an "end of year" change with things going back to normal in january though sadly it will require folks to pay another years worth of maint fees!

will say that if the resort is only managed by wyndham, vs owned by wyndham that would explain a rejection. wyndham really has no way to "take that back and resell it" like they could with a resort they actually own. Sounds like that might be the case here with the resort still being independently owned, but wyndham manages it and as such your statements come with a wyndham logo on them?

have you reached out to the homeowners association directly to inquire about a deedback instead of wyndham?
Thanks for providing this feedback Brian. From what I have observed of late, most of the rejections appear to be DI type contracts (weeks based contracts), or converted weeks based contracts - which are really still weeks based contracts in their system to the best of my understanding. I share your concern that CE seems to be backtracking of late, and I share your hope that this is only temporary based upon thresholds or something internal to Wyndham, and at some point these types of contracts will again be something CE will approve - though as you clearly indicated - if the resort isn't owned by Wyndham, CE isn't going to be able to take it back unless they have some kind of agreement in place with the ownership to do so (which is doubtful IMHO).

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
My vague sense is that there has been an overall slowdown in travel. If true, this is likely to both decrease tour flow and increase the rate at which owners attempt to deed back their ownerships. Again if true, that would be a reasonable explanation for why Wydnahm might slow down their takeback rate via CE---which, again, I am not sure we even have firm evidence for beyond some anecdotal reports.

stevenh21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Flagstaff, Wyndham Villas at Fairfield, Harbortown Point(Ventura, CA)

@TUGBrian We own three timeshares that have Wyndham affiliations, but are not owned or managed by Wyndham. The Georgia unit is listed in our Club Wyndham account as a fixed week and is used in the Wyndham provided RCI weeks account.
I have reached out to the HOA but mainly through 2 different employees that were in charge of billing for the weeks units. There are quite a few owners that are points owners. The first employee had her job for at least 20 years. She told me last year that I would have to sell or find someone to give it too. Two weeks ago I called the same office and I found out that person had retired. I talked to the new employee and was told the same information. As far as dealing directly with the HOA, that has been discouraged over the years.
Since that last conversation, someone affiliated with management called me and we have a possible solution. I don't want to jinx that. I will share here if it is successful.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
no doubt the initial responses when trying to deal with some independent resorts is usually slanted towards the negative! sometimes its a matter of simply getting ahold of the right person or simply being persistent.

EVERY resort and or association has to deal with surrenders and deedbacks because every resort/association has owners in default. As such in many cases it takes effort and persistence to convince the resort/association they are not going to get any more money from you and it would be cheaper/easier to work out a deedback willingly vs having to suffer thru months or years of default to end up in the same situation they are in now (in having to negotiate a surrender).

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
EVERY resort and or association has to deal with surrenders and deedbacks because every resort/association has owners in default.
They do, but sadly some just stick their heads in the sand and ignore the defaults and don't even bother to foreclose. There is no legal requirement that the HOA has to foreclose. Then when the resort gets around to cleaning things up or shutting down, it is a real nightmare. Sticking the head in the sand isn't the right approach, but for some resort it is the approach they take.

More smaller independent resorts really need to look to services like Lemonjuice Solutions. I don't know if there are other companies out there like them. The same resorts should probably avoid Capital Vacations.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
yep, its a very sad state of affairs for sure.