• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Flex
Hi all! I'm a newbie and need some advice. We bought Sheraton Flex at Steamboat Springs and are going to be rescinding tomorrow (we bought for $26k: 67,100 options, they gave us 134,2000 options to be used in the first two years, and 6 certs to buy 330,000 Bonvoy points for about $2,200 each). Here's what I am trying to navigate - we like the Sheraton Flex program because we want to be able to book at Steamboat during the 8-12 month window. We only plan to book 3-4 night stays so the points system appeals to us. I understand that if we buy Sheraton Flex resale we will lose all the perks and only be able to book at the 8 home resorts. Knowing we can buy more options and save about $20-25k as opposed to our purchase I think buying Sheraton Flex resale will work (although I am sad that due to timing we won't be able to requalify - that would be a no brainer for us). Are there other resale options we should be looking at? Again we want the flexibility to book less than a week and want to book Steamboat Sheraton but have the flexibility of occasionally going elsewhere.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Hi all! I'm a newbie and need some advice. We bought Sheraton Flex at Steamboat Springs and are going to be rescinding tomorrow (we bought for $26k: 67,100 options, they gave us 134,2000 options to be used in the first two years, and 6 certs to buy 330,000 Bonvoy points for about $2,200 each). Here's what I am trying to navigate - we like the Sheraton Flex program because we want to be able to book at Steamboat during the 8-12 month window. We only plan to book 3-4 night stays so the points system appeals to us. I understand that if we buy Sheraton Flex resale we will lose all the perks and only be able to book at the 8 home resorts. Knowing we can buy more options and save about $20-25k as opposed to our purchase I think buying Sheraton Flex resale will work (although I am sad that due to timing we won't be able to requalify - that would be a no brainer for us). Are there other resale options we should be looking at? Again we want the flexibility to book less than a week and want to book Steamboat Sheraton but have the flexibility of occasionally going elsewhere.

Tried to break this down.
Paid $26,000 for 67,100 FlexOptions
(ouch)
Those 134,100 FOs are 2 years of FO usage starting now.
No mention of what the current annual
fee for the 67,100 FOs?

And 6 certificates for 330,00 BVs at $2,200 (I’ll let others comment - I personally would not take these unless I was planning major Marriott hotel travel)

Want:
Ability for Steamboat at 12 months out (short stays)
Can you do these non-high season and just use SOs at 8 months?
Going elsewhere? Where is that? VSN resorts?

The whole no longer can Requal is pure speculation. I wouldn’t worry about this

$26,000 !!! for 67,100 Sheraton FOs !!!
Repeat that to yourself.

You can get resale FOs for almost nothing comparatively. That alone should answer whether you should rescind.

How about get resale FOs for your Steamboat stays.
And buy resale Mandatory (for SO stays) or resale Westin FO (for Westin Flex stays), OR use the $25,000 you saved to travel by renting where you want to go.

Rescind
Research
Resale

don’t forget the 1st one…
Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

VacaSmart

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Flex Vistana Grand Luxxe Studio
I’m with David on this one. Save the money and rescind immediately. You already know about resales so that’s great. Now you know owners like to rent as well. I would much rather rent from owners if I had knew what I know now about the Sheraton Flex I own. I won’t share how much I paid for it but I wouldn’t want others to go through the same annual fee plus remembering the 12 month booking window.

Use your money to rent from owners knowing you have all the flexibility you want every year!

Decide you want to go to Paris instead of Steamboat the next year? Just make a reservation like everyone else and off you go! No need to shift points here and search for places you’ll never go to.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
If you buy Sheraton Flex resale, you can use those for home resort reservations starting at 12 months, not 8. If you buy a mandatory resale deeded week (not at Steamboat), then you can only use the StarOptions from the deeded week to book at Steamboat at 8 months.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Are you sure? The way I read the stickies is that resale is reduced to 8 months.
resale mandatory resorts can book other resorts at 8 months. Home resorts whether mandatory or not mandatory can booked at 12 months.

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
resale mandatory resorts can book other resorts at 8 months. Home resorts whether mandatory or not mandatory can booked at 12 months.
But we are not talking about mandatory resorts, we are talking about Sheraton Flex

This is what is in the Sticky: Note that for a developer or requalified resale package, the home resort preference period is 12 months to 8 months prior to arrival. For resale Flex ownerships, which have not been requalified, an owner can continue making home resort reservations eight months or less prior to arrival.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
But we are not talking about mandatory resorts, we are talking about Sheraton Flex

This is what is in the Sticky: Note that for a developer or requalified resale package, the home resort preference period is 12 months to 8 months prior to arrival. For resale Flex ownerships, which have not been requalified, an owner can continue making home resort reservations eight months or less prior to arrival.

The key wording here is "can continue". They can make reservations 12-8 months and for voluntary they can continue to make them inside of 8 months with their home options.

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
The key wording here is "can continue". They can make reservations 12-8 months and for voluntary they can continue to make them inside of 8 months with their home options.

So are you saying the first sentence needs to be changed to 'developer or any resale package' ?

'Note that for a developer or requalified resale package, the home resort preference period is 12 months to 8 months prior to arrival. For resale Flex ownerships, which have not been requalified, an owner can continue making home resort reservations eight months or less prior to arrival.'

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
So are you saying the first sentence needs to be changed to 'developer or any resale package' ?

'Note that for a developer or requalified resale package, the home resort preference period is 12 months to 8 months prior to arrival. For resale Flex ownerships, which have not been requalified, an owner can continue making home resort reservations eight months or less prior to arrival.'
I think the section isn't really clear but it is really just to differentiate the difference between HomeOptions and StarOptions. The previous question in the FAQ better indicates home resort usage for Flex.

It really should say something like;
Note; For Sheraton Flex, the home resort preference period is 12 to 8 months. For resale Flex ownerships, which have not been requalified, an owner can continue making home resort reservations eight months or less prior to arrival.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas

For a developer purchased sheraton flex at 8 months the flex options become SO's so if they book at their home resort it is no longer considered a home resort reservation it is considered the same as booking anything in the VSE/SVN system. Since a resale owner doesn't convert to SO's at 8 months, they continue to have flex/home options which can continue to book in the sheraton flex trust.

It isn't something that a requalified or developer purchase owner would know the difference, its just a difference noted here on TUG.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
To my knowledge I don’t believe Sheraton Steamboat is abundant in Sheraton Flex. The OP mentioned wanting to book Steamboat. Will need to set expectations accordingly.

Last edited:

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sheraton Steamboat Springs
  • The East Tower, formerly operated exclusively as a hotel, appears to have been made a part of the Sheraton Flex trust and only reservable by Sheraton Flex owners
To my knowledge I don’t be believe Sheraton Steamboat is abundant in Sheraton Flex. The OP mentioned wanting to book Steamboat. Will need to set expectations accordingly.

Again, the above in the stickies - not sure how big the east tower is.

rcv82

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SMV
WKORV (OFD)
Westin Flex
MVC Trust
GTL
GP8
CWA
Again, the above in the stickies - not sure how big the east tower is.

It’s much larger than the original timeshare building sold before Flex, so there should be plenty of Flex availability of it was all sold as Flex. You can check the Sheraton Flex disclosures and see how many weeks are in the trust. I don’t believe the disclosures break down by season however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN-OF, SVVx3, SBP, MKO-OV, MWR
You probably can pick SVV 67100 points for almost nothing or $500. Or get SVV 81000 points for $2-3000 with $1300 annual fee.

wjarcher

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKOVRN, MKO, WLR, SVV, SDO
If you need to travel in the ski season and/or book the mountain view rooms, buy the Sheraton flex resale (you can get them pretty cheap) so that you can reserve at 12month in advance.

Otherwise, buy SVV or WKV to use their staroptions to book at 8-month.

I don't recommend renting because you only need 4 nights.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Two ideas:

You figured out that Sheraton Flex will work for your ski trips and you figured out that you can save about 95% by buying it resale. So calculate out how many points you need for your ski needs, buy a Sheraton Flex resale package (there are many on www.redweek.com), and don't overbuy.

After a couple of years, if you really, really like timesharing, consider a WKV or SVV or whatever works better under the ever-changing rules. In the interim, use some of your $25,000 saved and rent for non-ski trips. Don't worry; resale prices aren't going up while you decide.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Flex
Thank you all for the awesome advice. Working on my letter to rescind now using the template provided through TUG. Does anyone know when you rescind if the closing costs are also refunded? That doesn't affect my decision - but the letter references what you expect to be refunded. Should I just type we expect a full refund of $xx,xxx and applicable closing costs?

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Thank you all for the awesome advice. Working on my letter to rescind now using the template provided through TUG. Does anyone know when you rescind if the closing costs are also refunded? That doesn't affect my decision - but the letter references what you expect to be refunded. Should I just type we expect a full refund of $xx,xxx and applicable closing costs?
Everything will be refunded. As if it never happened. You don't really need to specify what should be refunded, you could just say $x deposit & closing costs paid and provide a lump amount.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
congrats on saving 26k by finding TUG!

remowidget

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar X3
Deleted

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
At 8 months, you can book your Sheraton Flex resorts using any vistana ownership bucket. So, there will be a lot more availability for you to book because now you can book out of the weeks owner bucket, assuming availability. If you want high demand weeks, it is likely they will not be available at 8 months.
For resale Sheraton Flex this isn't the case. You can never book out of the weeks inventory bucket. You will always be tied to reserving what is available in Sheraton Flex trust or exchanging through II.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resale Sheraton Flex are given away for free or close to free. Since you want to book Steamboat Springs, resale Sheraton Flex will do.

remowidget

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar X3
Resale Sheraton Flex are given away for free or close to free. Since you want to book Steamboat Springs, resale Sheraton Flex will do.
I think that cheap ones are being snapped up by Vistana. I have a friend who lost a $500 Aventuras to ROFR in January.

remowidget

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar X3
For resale Sheraton Flex this isn't the case. You can never book out of the weeks inventory bucket. You will always be tied to reserving what is available in Sheraton Flex trust or exchanging through II.
Thanks for correcting me.