• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Redweek holding all payments regardless???

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Reach out to lawyers who are willing to take the case. You must negotiate the terms as to how much lawyers will get out of this if successful. Lawyers may not want to touch this because if it goes to court owners are usually deemed as folks with deep pockets and take the side of the "poor" renters and that Redweek was correcting a situation for "poor" renters. Anyway, if the lawyers take the case, they can get the full list of owners who are affected by this from Redweek. They in turn will reach out to each person on the list to join the class action lawsuit.
i think it will be one of the jobs of the lawyers to explain to the judge that the owners are just normal folks, some of them working, some of them retired and to contrast that with big real estate companies and the owners of multiple apartment units. In this case there is no evidence that the owners are richer the the tenants. Redweek does not have pertinent information about the net worth of either party. Many owners have also been timeshare renters. I think the discussion here is the enforcement of a contract, not who has deeper pockets.

Last edited:

pacman777

TUG Member
Reaction score
i think it will be one of the jobs of the lawyers will be to explain to the judge that the owners are just normal folks, some of them working, some of them retired and to contrast that with big real estate companies and the owners of multiple apartment units. In this case there is no evidence that the owners are richer the the tenants. Redweek does not have pertinent information about the net worth of either party. Many owners have also been timeshare renters. I think the discussion here is the enforcement of a contract, not who has deeper pockets.
Agree. That is what really pisses me off. They completely made an “arbitration” decision that went completely against the terms of their own contract. I even question their ethics on whether the renters they supposedly ruled in favor of even received a full refund for the amounts they screwed the owners on.

sportsfan1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Agree. That is what really pisses me off. They completely made an “arbitration” decision that went completely against the terms of their own contract. I even question their ethics on whether the renters they supposedly ruled in favor of even received a full refund for the amounts they screwed the owners on.
Did any of you receive an email regarding arbitration prior to a decision being made or was a ruling made prior to any communication? They key for me was making an offer immediately upon receiving an email regarding arbitration. It worked for me on both of my weeks - one which was cancelled within the 60 day window and one cancelled outside of the 60 day window.

pacman777

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did any of you receive an email regarding arbitration prior to a decision being made or was a ruling made prior to any communication? They key for me was making an offer immediately upon receiving an email regarding arbitration. It worked for me on both of my weeks - one which was cancelled within the 60 day window and one cancelled outside of the 60 day window.

In my case, the only email I received that I wouldn't be getting paid was a day after the check-in date of the reservation so I was not even able to cancel or bank my Westin timeshare. And I even called the resort to make sure they were fully open and accepting guests which they were at the time so their "unhabitable" bullshit doesn't apply.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Posted this in another thread, but probably more relevant here for those that haven't heard, going forward...

Added to Redweek Contract:

"IMPORTANT: For rental agreements signed on or after April 8, 2020, the Coronavirus (Covid-19) pandemic is considered a foreseeable risk. The renter, by digitally signing this agreement, hereby acknowledges and accepts the risk that the pandemic may prevent travel or occupancy of the rental unit, and that this will not serve as a basis for requesting a refund. This clause specifically removes the obligation of the owner to provide a habitable unit as described in sections 2 and 12, if the cause is due to the Coronavirus pandemic."

R.J.C.

unconfirmed
Reaction score
Posted this in another thread, but probably more relevant here for those that haven't heard, going forward...

"IMPORTANT: For rental agreements signed on or after April 8, 2020, the Coronavirus (Covid-19) pandemic is considered a foreseeable risk. The renter, by digitally signing this agreement, hereby acknowledges and accepts the risk that the pandemic may prevent travel or occupancy of the rental unit, and that this will not serve as a basis for requesting a refund. This clause specifically removes the obligation of the owner to provide a habitable unit as described in sections 2 and 12, if the cause is due to the Coronavirus pandemic."

Day late and a dollar short, IMO.

dlpearson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORN, SVV (Bella), MOC, MBP, 7MileBeach Club
About a month late, and several thousand dollars short for many owners.........

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
This is one of those Golden Rule situations: the one holding the gold has the leverage to make the rules.
Exactly. End of story....

Bill4728

Reaction score
Just a little bit a good news about by the withheld rental payment.

I got the listing fee of $59 back yesterday Still it isn't the $2200 I was hoping for from my renter but better than having to pay the fee for them refunding the "non refundable" money

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)

I got the listing fee of $59 back yesterday Still it isn't the $2200 I was hoping for from my renter but better than having to pay the fee for them refunding the "non refundable" money

A fine example of adding insult to injury.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten

So if a renter signed a contract before April 8th which was for a march check in then the reservation was moved to August, the can still get out of the contract if they “don’t feel pandemic comfortable”?

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
So if a renter signed a contract before April 8th which was for a march check in then the reservation was moved to August, the can still get out of the contract if they “don’t feel pandemic comfortable”?
If the renter was told at the time of the reservation extension they could choose between getting a refund, or moving the reservation and not getting a refund, then I would say they have a new contract that accounts for the pandemic and the renter will know they chose to gamble that the pandemic would be gone by August.

If the deal was just to move the reservation to get out of the way of the pandemic, and no refund was offered, and in August the pandemic is still around, I would say a refund should be offered unless another extension can be arranged.

As states start reopening, we will see what happens. It is an uncertain time and that makes it difficult to make decisions.

marriottdude

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC, Westin/St. Johns and Grand Vista Owner
Does anyone know a good lawyer in Florida? Maybe if a couple of use took cases, we'd get a break on fees. I'd be interested. I'm out $5500.

Paragraph 16 of the Redweek Rental Contract: "Notwithstanding paragraphs 2 and 10.3 above, the parties waive any right such party may have under applicable law to a trial by jury with respect to any suit or legal action which may be commenced by or against the other party concerning the interpretation, construction, validity, enforcement, or performance of this agreement. The sole and exclusive venue for any legal proceedings or disputes relating to this agreement shall be the Circuit Court of the Ninth Judicial Circuit of Florida in Orange County, Florida. "

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean

How did you get the fee back? Do you have to cancel the listing or Waive the cancellation provisions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pacman777

TUG Member
Reaction score
If Redweek wants to somewhat provide restitution and make things better with owners that they screwed over would be to at least give them account credit for the amount they didn’t payout for the rental to be used against future listing and membership fees. Probably would encourage more listings in the future

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
If you are out money for a rental, you can still deposit your week into II or RCI, as long as you have some notice. At least you can get an exchange for something. So how much are you really "out," if the resort is closed. Closed resorts mean no one can stay there, making the unit uninhabitable. In my contract I use from TUG (Timeshare Von's contract), nothing to do with Redweek, it states that if the resort is closed/ uninhabitable, the contract is basically void.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
If Redweek wants to somewhat provide restitution and make things better with owners that they screwed over would be to at least give them account credit for the amount they didn’t payout for the rental to be used against future listing and membership fees. Probably would encourage more listings in the future
That would set them up with a huge amount of liabilities and would restrict income and cash flow going forward. Don't they only make money from owner listings? The renter doesn't pay a fee, do they?

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
The renter pays 5% fee if using Redweek payments.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
The renter pays 5% fee if using Redweek payments.
Got it, probably about half of that is used to cover merchant fees. So they make most of their money from the owners in listing fees?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Got it, probably about half of that is used to cover merchant fees. So they make most of their money from the owners in listing fees?
Although it isn't much for the listing fees. Some renters require that you use Redweek for verification/ payment and even the contract. I had a renter for a week that wanted me to pay that fee, set it up as verified by Redweek (paid the $14.95), and the renter backed out of the rental.

arubaguy2662

Reaction score
This is bizarre. Redweek appears to be holding all payments hostage even if the renter never requested a cancellation. I don’t get how that makes sense. I was wary of using Redweek payments but then I started using it exclusively. I am likely done with Redweek payments in the future as they are violating their own terms and conditions.

For the record I am not unreasonable. I even offered to split the loss with a Redweek payment renter that canceled the night before check in. They haven’t paid either of us. On another one there is no cancellation by the renter but they are not releasing payment.
I have not had any problems with Redweek regarding the release of payment once the renter of my timeshare checks in. You should check out what terms you requested from your renter when you posted your week. You can and should set the terms of any refund timeline . It is clearly listed on the contract so the renter understands the rules.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I have not had any problems with Redweek regarding the release of payment once the renter of my timeshare checks in. You should check out what terms you requested from your renter when you posted your week. You can and should set the terms of any refund timeline . It is clearly listed on the contract so the renter understands the rules.
Experiences from previous years don't apply to travel for travel after 3/15 or so this year. If you assume your experience will be the same this year I think you will be surprised/disappointed.

romeobink

Reaction score
Your actions clearly show you are asking owners to 2) cancel their legally binding contracts, 3) refund 100% to the renter, and 3) assume all losses (although Redweek's recent offer to pay any cancelation fees, and give a future posting credit is a gracious gesture, than k you). In my case, canceling my reservation Sarkari Result Pnr Status 192.168.1.1 with the resort less than 60 days out would mean total loss of the week

Last edited:

marriottdude

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC, Westin/St. Johns and Grand Vista Owner
I send off a small claims filing to the Orlando Clerk Of Courts today for suit against my renter. I'll let you all know how it goes.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I send off a small claims filing to the Orlando Clerk Of Courts today for suit against my renter. I'll let you all know how it goes.
Is your suit against the renter or against Redweek?