• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Redweek holding all payments regardless???

lds337

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, HGVC Ocean 22, HGVC Sunrise Lodge, The Crane HGVC Sheraton Desert Oasis, Westin Kierland, and Wyndham Glacier Canyon
I send off a small claims filing to the Orlando Clerk Of Courts today for suit against my renter. I'll let you all know how it goes.

You can sue the renter, but your case will be thrown out of court since Redweek released the renter from the contract. You don't have to look any farther then Clause 1 that you empowered Redweek and they are the sole arbiter. The other clauses that everyone is referencing clause 2 & 12 are reasons why Redweek shouldn't have released the renter from the contract. Those points are moot once Redweek actually releases the renter.

I'm not a lawyer but if you hire someone to act on your behalf the you can't go after the renter when Redweek does arbitrate.
Your case should be against Redweek for Breach of Contract not the renter. IMHO

1. This Rental Agreement ("Agreement") is between the Owner and the Renter for the rental of the unit for the term described above. The Owner has contracted with RedWeek Real Estate, LLC (“RedWeek”), which serves as the processor of the transaction for the two parties and the sole arbiter. While RedWeek has verified key details and provides assistance with the transaction, the Owner is ultimately responsible for the accuracy of the posting, changing the name of the party checking-in, and ensuring the resort provides the correct unit type at check-in.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
I also think RedWeek is the party who did you wrong. They conducted an arbitration without allowing you to present your case and in a manner that seems to many of us to contradict the contract between you and the renter. The reason they want the proceedings to occur in Orlando is because RedWeek Real Estate LLC is a Florida Corporation (unlike RedWeek Inc which is based in WA).

marriottdude

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC, Westin/St. Johns and Grand Vista Owner
Renter as they are the one on the contract. Breach of contract. My filing fee was $300.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
Renter as they are the one on the contract. Breach of contract. My filing fee was $300.

But wouldn't renter just argue that you both agreed to arbitration and the arbitration process ruled in their favor? So how is that breach of contract?

Renter put money in escrow (as required), renter (and you) agreed to arbitrate via RedWeek, and renter went through the arbitration process allowed by the contract. RedWeek ruled in their favor. So can you point to any part of the contract where the renter broke the rules?

I may be off on this but to me it seems that your issue is with the arbitration process, which was handled by Redweek. Redweek chose in interpret "non refundable" as "may be refundable in a pandemic and the renter didn't have travel insurance".

marriottdude

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I agree Redweek could also be pursued, but my sense is the contract is attempting to sort out who bears the risks and burdens of the rental. I think the renter bears the risk of cancellation and as such I though they should be the ones to sue. If this gets the renters to settle, I'll be fine with that.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
I agree Redweek could also be pursued, but my sense is the contract is attempting to sort out who bears the risks and burdens of the rental. I think the renter bears the risk of cancellation and as such I though they should be the ones to sue. If this gets the renters to settle, I'll be fine with that.

Good luck - I hope it works out!

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I am never using the verify again. I know it saves me some credit card fees, but it's not worth it at all.

marriottdude

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'll let you know how it plays out.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
This action ought to get Redweek's attention because the renter is sure to go straight to Redweek to have them deal with it. So in the end, it may be worth it to file.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
If you think about it. If you have a contract with a renter and they dispute the credit card charge and the card company sides with them, your remedy is to sue the renter, not the credit card company. So perhaps the proper path is naming the renter as the defendant.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
I'll let you know how it plays out.

Did you need renter's address to file the complaint?

If you think about it. If you have a contract with a renter and they dispute the credit card charge and the card company sides with them, your remedy is to sue the renter, not the credit card company. So perhaps the proper path is naming the renter as the defendant.

That's definitely an interesting way to see it!

marciaheitz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Very smart.

I would also add that I always tell my renters that "Dates can not be altered or changed, and all sales are FINAL".

I also urge all my renters to "Purchase travel insurance" to cover themselves in case of unforeseen circumstances.

The problem I've encountered with insurance is COVID 19 is NOT COVERED in any of them and many other things that you would think were covered aren't covered. My husband has a chronic disease and so I've always paid a lot of money to buy insurance.....then I read in the fine print that if I cancel due to his disease IT'S NOT COVERED! Now if he broke his leg it would be covered or other such accidental injury....but I'm not nearly as concerned about that as I am the chances due to his illness.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
The problem I've encountered with insurance is COVID 19 is NOT COVERED in any of them and many other things that you would think were covered aren't covered. My husband has a chronic disease and so I've always paid a lot of money to buy insurance.....then I read in the fine print that if I cancel due to his disease IT'S NOT COVERED! Now if he broke his leg it would be covered or other such accidental injury....but I'm not nearly as concerned about that as I am the chances due to his illness.

Typically, the insurance policies I've found/seen will have a pre-existing condition waiver, IF purchased within 2 weeks of initial trip payment. It will cost a little more (but certainly less than a CFAR policy).

My mother battled colon cancer for 5 years and we always made sure to get pre-existing condition-waiver policies.

TravelAmore

TUG Member
Reaction score
While this thread is getting a little dated, I heard an excellent podcast on The Journal the other day reviewing and interviewing owners of AirBnB units and how AirBnB responded to renters and owners during the pandemic. The title, "Airbnb Hosts Built Mini-Empires. Now They're Crumbling" released May 7. Words to the wise for owners who rent their units through agencies, tech platforms, or other companies....

ocdb8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
But wouldn't renter just argue that you both agreed to arbitration and the arbitration process ruled in their favor? So how is that breach of contract?

Certainly the renter could make this argument, but in reality there are multiple problems with the Redweek contract that provide plenty of openings for a court/judge to insert themselves:

1) The contract doesn't include a properly constructed arbitration clause; no where do you actually agree to "arbitration"; there's no clarity on what Redweek is empowered to decide, process for making their decision...etc;

2) In every jurisdiction I am aware of arbitrators must be independent, uninterested parties. Redweek is clearly neither in this case considering their interest in the transaction overall (not only the fees they collected, but also the continued relationship with both the renter and owner). While one could argue their interest could be to NOT cancel the transaction, the fact that they have any interest at all would disqualify them as a valid arbitrator;

3) The contract also contemplates that the sole and exclusive venue for any legal proceedings or disputes relating to the agreement shall be the Circuit Court of the Ninth Judicial Circuit of Florida in Orange County, Florida. That clearly opens the door for a judge to insert themselves and rule on this agreement; and

4) Even where a properly constructed arbitration clause exists in the agreement, a proper process to challenge the clause or the award by an arbitrator is to bring the counterparty to Court so the court can decide if the arbitration was indeed valid. If not, a legal dispute can proceed.

However, I agree that Redweek could be named as an additional defendant given their failure to process payment due to you.

grupp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just rented my unit for late June and they wanted to pay with a credit card, so I agreed to use Redweek Payments. I wasn’t even sure if it would rent, so willing to take the risk and see how it goes.

marciaheitz

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've discovered the very same issue with my husbands chronic illness.....I WANT TO PROTECT MY INVESTMENT BUT THE MAIN REASON IS BECAUSE OF THE CHRONIC ILLNESS.....what the hell! I just made the decision to not protect a vacation next Feb that I've spent over $10,000 on because of this very issue......why pay a very high price for accidental injury insurance?

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am never using the verify again. I know it saves me some credit card fees, but it's not worth it at all.
Hi Cindy,
I used it once and will never do that again. I will stick with my old PayPal payment structure. Of course I have nothing to rent out until this blows over.
As an aside, I contacted Redweek and asked them for a favor. I have two resorts up for rent with them. I can rent neither of them until this pandemic clears up. I asked them to save my rental payments to use on a new ad later on, when everything is back to normal (God willing)--- and they agreed!

pacman777

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Cindy,
I used it once and will never do that again. I will stick with my old PayPal payment structure. Of course I have nothing to rent out until this blows over.
As an aside, I contacted Redweek and asked them for a favor. I have two resorts up for rent with them. I can rent neither of them until this pandemic clears up. I asked them to save my rental payments to use on a new ad later on, when everything is back to normal (God willing)--- and they agreed!
Well if they obliged to you then I guess they would owe me $2500 worth of ad fees since that is what they screwed me out of based on some BS arbitration

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Any news from court?

marriottdude

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I had pretrial mediation session virtually with Orlando Circuit Court the other day. Renter didn't demonstrate any interest in settling. So now its on to our virtual trial to be scheduled. I'll keep this group updated with developments.