• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Redweek holding all payments regardless???

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Last edited:

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
What makes me sick is Redweek is still allowing rental bookings for the same resorts and dates that they are refunding customers money or allow cc disputes to go uncontested on contracts that no longer allow a refund. They don't care if a renter gets "screwed" on a non-refundable rental as long as they aren't the ones holding the money is escrow.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
What makes me sick is Redweek is still allowing rental bookings for the same resorts and dates that they are refunding customers money or allow cc disputes to go uncontested on contracts that no longer allow a refund. They don't care if a renter gets "screwed" on a non-refundable rental as long as they aren't the ones holding the money is escrow.
They have a warning on the website. I think the warning is enough for owners to realize these vacations could get cancelled. Best to cancel anything before the middle of June.

sportsfan1

TUG Member
Reaction score
They have a warning on the website. I think the warning is enough for owners to realize these vacations could get cancelled. Best to cancel anything before the middle of June.
I have a full service rental in HHI for a 6/13 check in. I have confirmed with my renter that he is still planning to rent the week. My concern is that RW will not protect me if he changes his mind, and if within 60 days, I lose any control and flexibility around my week. I'm not sure if it's best to work through RW now on the policy as it relates to my rental or remove and work with the renter separately. Even if the answer is to work with the renter separately, I'm not sure whether RW will even release the funds back to the renter. I have sent RW an email asking for guidance, and of course, no response.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score

These are all strict no refund listings. My point is not that the owners are at risk but the opposite. Redweek is allowing renters to book non-refundable listings while at the same time allowing other renters to cancel and receive a refund even though it violates the contract.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a full service rental in HHI for a 6/13 check in. I have confirmed with my renter that he is still planning to rent the week. My concern is that RW will not protect me if he changes his mind, and if within 60 days, I lose any control and flexibility around my week. I'm not sure if it's best to work through RW now on the policy as it relates to my rental or remove and work with the renter separately. Even if the answer is to work with the renter separately, I'm not sure whether RW will even release the funds back to the renter. I have sent RW an email asking for guidance, and of course, no response.

If you ask the refund to be released Redweek has to comply. They are only the escrow agent. They are not a party to the contract. It is you that controls the refund terms (or supposed to be).

sportsfan1

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you ask the refund to be released Redweek has to comply. They are only the escrow agent. They are not a party to the contract. It is you that controls the refund terms (or supposed to be).
So in theory, I can use the same default rental agreement that is provided by RW and enforce the terms if RW is no longer a party in the escrow?

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC

With a "protection" clause from a company like Stubhub, when you buy tickets and for some reason they do not work (say because seller sold them multiple times) the seller is liable for any costs Stubhub has to incur to reaccommodate the buyer and their card is kept on file for that purpose.

I am not a lawyer but I don't see any such clause in the RedWeek contract and they may not even have your credit card on file. So if you change your mind about the rental and want to cancel and bank the Staroptions (say because you feel that the obnoxious letter from the CEO leaves you better off that way) I don't see any recourse a renter would have besides getting their money back. which of course you wouldn't dispute if you cancelled. In fact, that's a situation in which a unit can be deemed "not habitable" because the reservation has been cancelled. I am not a lawyer but read it for yourself carefully and see what you think.

If your renter is serious about going and has airfare purchased they may be willing to work with you outside of RedWeek, especially if you tell them you will be canceling the reservation because you don't trust the RedWeek system to work for you as you thought it should. If not, then you should do what is best for you (RedWeek certainly is doing that regardless of what the contract says). The renter may even be able to find a better deal with someone else so it might work out best for everyone.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
So in theory, I can use the same default rental agreement that is provided by RW and enforce the terms if RW is no longer a party in the escrow?

I don't see why not.

Just sign a short document that say (i) you get paid directly (ii) you agree to contract RW to issue a full refund to renter (iii) you both agree to all the other rental terms in RW contract #_____

But, as I mention in the previous post, if they don't want to work outside of RW then use the next 10 days (while you can cancel without penalty) to figure out what is best for YOU given the circumstances.

marriottdude

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC, Westin/St. Johns and Grand Vista Owner
I got the "uninhabitable" email from Redweek, and I wrote them back and said I disagreed because "not Habitable" is defined by "storm, fire or flood". I also said "arbitration" involves the engagement of the parties involved, which I was not. Below is what I received (resort was in Hawaii). What gets me is they admit they are ignoring the terms of the contract. Amazing.

Hi Andrew,

The essence of the contract between the owner and the renter is that the owner is providing a usable vacation condo property.

While the words in the contract may miss a literal reference to a Government mandated closing of the whole city or state that the resort lies within, the purpose of the contract is clear.

Our experience is that timeshare resorts, particularly, Marriott and Westin resorts, will claim they are open when for all practical purposes they are not. Resort amenities are closed and housekeeping services are no longer provided. This is because they already have the maintenance fees from the owners for the year and only feel obligated to give the owner remediation if the resort admits to being closed.

RedWeek is refunding renters who are denied the reasonable use of the property regardless of the legalistic reading of the contract. In the case of this transaction, the Island of Maui and the State of Hawaii were in a virtual shutdown in the week leading up to the check-in date.

· On March 11, the World Health Organization declared a pandemic.
· On March 13, the President of the US announced a National Emergency.
· On March 17 the Governor of Hawaii issued emergency rules that shutdown most of the businesses on the islands.
On March 26 the Governor of Hawaii issued a mandatory 14 day quarantine for all visitors.

This situation is not unique. RedWeek is buried under the crush of cancellations that have come from travelers and is suffering the overload and inability to keep up with what is over 100 times the normal for us.

The unit was uninhabitable for all practical purposes. Someone will lose in this warlike event... the traveler or the owner. Both are our customers and we only make money when the owner is paid.

We judged the owner's property was made useless by the decisions of the government in an unprecedented, unpredictable situation. While we totally empathize with our owners... we cannot in good conscience, decide any other way.

Warm Regards & Be Well,

mail
Dear Redweek:
1) The definition of the of habitable is provided in the rental agreement and it does not include this as a circumstance. Further, the resort was open, as you know.2) Arbitration requires the involvement of both parties. I was not contacted by the "arbitration panel" and as such, the process did not allow for due process and as such is unfair and arbitrary.
I think Redweek has attempted to find the only potential loophole in the contract to favor the Renter, and done so in an unfair, inaccurate and deliberate manner to exclude feedback from both parties.
You should be ashamed of yourselves.

On Monday, April 6, 2020, 02:19:34 AM EDT, arbitration@redweek.com <arbitration@redweek.com> wrote:

Resort: Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Check-in: 2020-03-21
A dispute was opened concerning this booking, as permitted by section 2 of the Rental Agreement.
The RedWeek arbitration panel has reviewed this case and determined that, due to the ongoingglobal Covid-19 pandemic, the rental unit is not habitable.
Per section 2 of the Rental Agreement, therefore, the panel has found in favor of the renter,and will be issuing them a refund.
We are sorry this booking did not work out as planned. These are unprecedented times and we appreciate your understanding in this matter.
Sincerely,
RedWeek Customer Service

Welovehawaii

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Waiohai
Both are our customers and we only make money when the owner is paid.

I love this blatant lie. They were paid as soon as they had our credit card information, when we listed the timeshare rental.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got the "uninhabitable" email from Redweek, and I wrote them back and said I disagreed because "not Habitable" is defined by "storm, fire or flood". I also said "arbitration" involves the engagement of the parties involved, which I was not. Below is what I received (resort was in Hawaii). What gets me is they admit they are ignoring the terms of the contract. Amazing.

Hi Andrew,

The essence of the contract between the owner and the renter is that the owner is providing a usable vacation condo property.

While the words in the contract may miss a literal reference to a Government mandated closing of the whole city or state that the resort lies within, the purpose of the contract is clear.

Our experience is that timeshare resorts, particularly, Marriott and Westin resorts, will claim they are open when for all practical purposes they are not. Resort amenities are closed and housekeeping services are no longer provided. This is because they already have the maintenance fees from the owners for the year and only feel obligated to give the owner remediation if the resort admits to being closed.

RedWeek is refunding renters who are denied the reasonable use of the property regardless of the legalistic reading of the contract. In the case of this transaction, the Island of Maui and the State of Hawaii were in a virtual shutdown in the week leading up to the check-in date.

· On March 11, the World Health Organization declared a pandemic.
· On March 13, the President of the US announced a National Emergency.
· On March 17 the Governor of Hawaii issued emergency rules that shutdown most of the businesses on the islands.
On March 26 the Governor of Hawaii issued a mandatory 14 day quarantine for all visitors.

This situation is not unique. RedWeek is buried under the crush of cancellations that have come from travelers and is suffering the overload and inability to keep up with what is over 100 times the normal for us.

The unit was uninhabitable for all practical purposes. Someone will lose in this warlike event... the traveler or the owner. Both are our customers and we only make money when the owner is paid.

We judged the owner's property was made useless by the decisions of the government in an unprecedented, unpredictable situation. While we totally empathize with our owners... we cannot in good conscience, decide any other way.

Warm Regards & Be Well,

mail
Dear Redweek:
1) The definition of the of habitable is provided in the rental agreement and it does not include this as a circumstance. Further, the resort was open, as you know.2) Arbitration requires the involvement of both parties. I was not contacted by the "arbitration panel" and as such, the process did not allow for due process and as such is unfair and arbitrary.
I think Redweek has attempted to find the only potential loophole in the contract to favor the Renter, and done so in an unfair, inaccurate and deliberate manner to exclude feedback from both parties.
You should be ashamed of yourselves.

On Monday, April 6, 2020, 02:19:34 AM EDT, arbitration@redweek.com <arbitration@redweek.com> wrote:

Resort: Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Check-in: 2020-03-21
A dispute was opened concerning this booking, as permitted by section 2 of the Rental Agreement.
The RedWeek arbitration panel has reviewed this case and determined that, due to the ongoingglobal Covid-19 pandemic, the rental unit is not habitable.
Per section 2 of the Rental Agreement, therefore, the panel has found in favor of the renter,and will be issuing them a refund.
We are sorry this booking did not work out as planned. These are unprecedented times and we appreciate your understanding in this matter.
Sincerely,
RedWeek Customer Service

Wow. Just amazing that they have done this. I will most definitely not be using redweek again. If I had a full service listing affected, I'd take 'em to court over this. As Judge Judy would say the 4 corners of the contract and all, not "the essence" and then the fact that they "arbitrated" anything? What a joke.

sportsfan1

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I received my email regarding arbitration, I decided to make my own proposal to both RW and the renter. It was accepted by both parties, and we mutually shared in the loss. I also received a credit from RW to post a future week.

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I received my email regarding arbitration, I decided to make my own proposal to both RW and the renter. It was accepted by both parties, and we mutually shared in the loss. I also received a credit from RW to post a future week.
Can you give details? or did you sign an NDA :)

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

I have had no recent rentals nor any planned, so no dog in the fight regarding COVID-19 cancellations but, fwiw, having reviewed the default RedWeek rental contract about a year ago (long before the current COVID-19 situation), I found their rental contract to just be grossly inadequate on several points from an owner perspective and declined to use it at all. I prepared my own rental contract instead. Too many inadequately addressed (or completely overlooked) details in the simple but woefully inadequate RW rental contract.

Just one of numerous reasons why I personally would never consider using RedWeek's so-called "full service option" as an owner renting out a timeshare or, for that matter, as a potential buyer of any timeshare listed for sale as "full service" on RedWeek. YMMV.

Last edited:

sportsfan1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you give details? or did you sign an NDA :)
I don't to give too many details, but when I received the arbitration email, I proposed the 50% refund as I thought it to be fair that we both share in the loss - especially given the fact that the cancellation was well within 60 days. The offer was presented to the renter and was accepted.

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't to give too many details, but when I received the arbitration email, I proposed the 50% refund as I thought it to be fair that we both share in the loss - especially given the fact that the cancellation was well within 60 days. The offer was presented to the renter and was accepted.
I am glad that worked out for you. Not sure why Redweek didn't try the 50% for all

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
I am glad that worked out for you. Not sure why Redweek didn't try the 50% for all

That is the fact and the unfair part of what they did.
It’s costing us all money and split would have been the answer. Everybody would still be unhappy , but fair!
Going to be tough using the weeks in the limited timeframe allotted.

sportsfan1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also negotiated with a renter through RW to take a 75% refund on a summer rental (contract stated 50% for cancellations 60+ days out), and that renter accepted. I now have flexibility to re-book my week with limited restrictions and still get the comfort of not losing a lot of $$$. My whole takeaway in this is....take control of your situation. Be proactive and communicative, and there could be a reasonable result.

tha

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had three listings on RedWeek and worked very hard to reach agreements and book new times for the renters. When the renters found out all they had to do was press the "dispute" button and they would get a full refund from RW they all, including RW, stiffed me. RW performance has been absolutely horrendous. They did not even bother to send me the email they sent to Andrew (thanks Andrew for sharing).

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
How do you start a class action law suit?
Reach out to lawyers who are willing to take the case. You must negotiate the terms as to how much lawyers will get out of this if successful. Lawyers may not want to touch this because if it goes to court owners are usually deemed as folks with deep pockets and take the side of the "poor" renters and that Redweek was correcting a situation for "poor" renters. Anyway, if the lawyers take the case, they can get the full list of owners who are affected by this from Redweek. They in turn will reach out to each person on the list to join the class action lawsuit.

pacman777

TUG Member
Reaction score
Count me in on lawsuit to at least get some justice. It’s more about principal rather than money for me. These [people] screwed me $2200 sending me an email that the renter cancelled and won’t be paying me a day AFTER the check in date so I wasn’t able to cancel with my timeshare company and bank or rebook another date. The resort was still open and accepting guests at that time and this was before the travel restrictions

Last edited by a moderator: