• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Open Season Rates no longer a good deal!!

sluggohill

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you want Hilton to notice social media, rather than posting in the difficult to see post to page section, I suggest tweeting them on twitter.

The HGVC handle is @HiltonGrandVac

If they start getting tweets from a lot of members about open season rates, they'll notice. I just tweeted them.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
If you want Hilton to notice social media, rather than posting in the difficult to see post to page section, I suggest tweeting them on twitter.

The HGVC handle is @HiltonGrandVac

If they start getting tweets from a lot of members about open season rates, they'll notice. I just tweeted them.

Thanks for the tip :)
https://twitter.com/search?q=HiltonGrandVac

I think we should hit them both.
lol, I have to sign up for twitter tonight after work.

Last edited:

aamista

TUG Member
Reaction score
the rate change is now by resort, destination and supply and demand

Purseval

Reaction score
We are one of those who bought with open season rates in mind. When we first bought it was a great deal to stay at the Orlando locations, such beautiful resorts with so much more to offer than a similarly priced hotel. In 2014 they lost that edge and we didn't spend one day at a Hilton resort. With this latest increase we'll probably just sell and rent from others on an as-needed basis. They priced us right out of the market.

bastroum

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are one of those who bought with open season rates in mind. When we first bought it was a great deal to stay at the Orlando locations, such beautiful resorts with so much more to offer than a similarly priced hotel. In 2014 they lost that edge and we didn't spend one day at a Hilton resort. With this latest increase we'll probably just sell and rent from others on an as-needed basis. They priced us right out of the market.

That's exactly what HGVC wants you to do. Why else would they price the rates so high? There must be a high demand on the open market for these units. What else makes sense?

aamista

TUG Member
Reaction score
i contacted HGVC customer service for a open season quotation
1 studio on HGVC paradise las vegas on January for $80 weekdays
and guess what.. it's the same price on their hilton website for everyone else
another member benefit is gone

bastroum

TUG Member
Reaction score
i contacted HGVC customer service for a open season quotation
1 studio on HGVC paradise las vegas on January for $80 weekdays
and guess what.. it's the same price on their hilton website for everyone else
another member benefit is gone

Unless the BENEFIT IS GUARANTEED IN WRITING FOR A SPECIFIC PERIOD OF TIME IT WILL ALWAYS GO AWAY. Some of the benefits I have received from Marriott went away in a few short months. Others, like this benefit, took years to go away.

I am not happy about it, but not surprised either. ALL the major timeshare companies do the same thing.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Many, many years ago when Marriott devalued their Rental and Resale Programs I saw the writing on the wall and sold my 4 Weeks at a profit no less. I received a total of $85,000 and used about $8,000 of it to purchase 6 carefully selected Weeks at HOA controlled Independents around the country. No doubt a fortuitous decision.

George

aamista

TUG Member
Reaction score
here is the answer i got back from hilton after i informed them that the rate is the same as website :

during our analysis it was intended that the rates would be a percentage under what is published on hilton.com (subject to supply, demand and location). In the case you show, it appears the rate has been reduced on Hilton.com for those specific dates.

I will contact my inventory management group and discuss this matter to see how we can insure these rate reductions are reflected in the system from which Open Season Cash rental is booked.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
here is the answer i got back from hilton after i informed them that the rate is the same as website :

during our analysis it was intended that the rates would be a percentage under what is published on hilton.com (subject to supply, demand and location). In the case you show, it appears the rate has been reduced on Hilton.com for those specific dates.

I will contact my inventory management group and discuss this matter to see how we can insure these rate reductions are reflected in the system from which Open Season Cash rental is booked.

Thanks for the research.. Maybe HGVC just assumed Hilton.com only listed the rack rate.. and nobody would notice the discounted rate is now the same as open season..If it stays that way, its a lousy change.. but not all together too surprising..

If rates end up being the same or close, i would just book on Hilton.com and earn the HHonors points...

JenMuse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Seaworld EOEY
Sent a tweet - was redirected to a reply to a similar complaint on Facebook...

Pasting reply here for those who have no desire to go to fb.

Hilton Grand Vacations: We thank you for your communication, and trust that the following update serves to bring further clarity to this topic:

As the vacation ownership inventory at our properties reaches a sold out status, the Open Season availability for units respectively diminishes. Open Season Rental rates remain flexible based on location, season, day of the week and demand. Beginning in 2015, some nightly rates remain similar to those of the previous year, and some increased rates are based on the location, season or day of the week that are historically in higher demand by our Club Members.

The intention of this update was to offer these accommodations during the 30 day booking window at a percentage-off of what can be found on Hilton.com, which primarily offers the inventory that HGV Owners actually give back to the Club in exchange for other benefits or Partner Perks such as cruises, RV rentals, houseboats, etc. Previous rates were not reflective of the specific marketplace: for example, a 1-bedroom in Orlando does not equate to the same as a 1-bedroom in Honolulu. These recent updates to the Open Season rates chart remedy such discrepancies.

We will continue to monitor the markets in which we operate HGV resorts, and offer seasonally adjusted Open Season rates in an effort to provide the most desirable offers to our Owners. While we understand this recent change may initially be frustrating, we apologize that our notification did not reach you before the Open Season window opened for January 1.

Jason245

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the research.. Maybe HGVC just assumed Hilton.com only listed the rack rate.. and nobody would notice the discounted rate is now the same as open season..If it stays that way, its a lousy change.. but not all together too surprising..

If rates end up being the same or close, i would just book on Hilton.com and earn the HHonors points...

Taken a step further, if you value HHonors points at least $.005 a piece (which is my value), you should factor that into your booking decisions.

For example if the rate is 150 on Hilton web site and $140 for Open Season, The points earned might exceed the cash savings. (in this instance, a Diamond member would earn upwards of 20 Points per dollar = 3000 HH points which would be worth at least $15 , not counting other perks or promotion points that might be earned/given).

aamista

TUG Member
Reaction score

I just got an email from them stated that the price on the aame period has been updated to be $60 instead of $80 and the system now should be more automated toward discounts that will appear on hilton.com to assure that hgvc members have lower prices than the website even when there is an offer on the website

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sent a tweet - was redirected to a reply to a similar complaint on Facebook...

Pasting reply here for those who have no desire to go to fb.

Hilton Grand Vacations: We thank you for your communication, and trust that the following update serves to bring further clarity to this topic:

As the vacation ownership inventory at our properties reaches a sold out status, the Open Season availability for units respectively diminishes. Open Season Rental rates remain flexible based on location, season, day of the week and demand. Beginning in 2015, some nightly rates remain similar to those of the previous year, and some increased rates are based on the location, season or day of the week that are historically in higher demand by our Club Members.

The intention of this update was to offer these accommodations during the 30 day booking window at a percentage-off of what can be found on Hilton.com, which primarily offers the inventory that HGV Owners actually give back to the Club in exchange for other benefits or Partner Perks such as cruises, RV rentals, houseboats, etc. Previous rates were not reflective of the specific marketplace: for example, a 1-bedroom in Orlando does not equate to the same as a 1-bedroom in Honolulu. These recent updates to the Open Season rates chart remedy such discrepancies.

We will continue to monitor the markets in which we operate HGV resorts, and offer seasonally adjusted Open Season rates in an effort to provide the most desirable offers to our Owners. While we understand this recent change may initially be frustrating, we apologize that our notification did not reach you before the Open Season window opened for January 1.

Translation:

Someone paid their $1k MF and then sold us the right to their week for $500. We are going to take their week and rent it for as much as we can so that we can increase our profits. If the guy in charge can somehow rent that $500 unit for $2k for the week, he gets a bonus, if he only gets $1500 he doesn't get a bonus.

We got a bunch of suckers to pay retail for their Timershares, and if we can get them on the open season side and it works, our next stop is to start selling Primerica insurance and Amway products at all of our resorts followed by Tuppaware parties in the evenings.

jestme

Reaction score

Their response ignores the fact that you get absolutely no additional benefit trading in a Honolulu unit for a cruise or other trade in benefit, than you do if you trade in an Orlando or Las Vegas unit. Make up your mind, points are points when you trade them in, but the Open Season benefits for trade in's certainly seems to have great financial advantages for you. The room I bought in Honolulu also cost a lot more than the units in Orlando, for the same number of points. If I trade those in, the variation in price they speak of has already been paid, by me, up front.
Also, if they are expecting it to be a percentage of the Hilton.Com rate, then that rate is already demand oriented. To add an additional charge to that for a weekend rate, or a timeshare season, makes no sense either.
This is a total elimination of the benefit, plain and simple. It also seems to be poorly implemented, with all types of misconstrued criteria and decisions.

Beacon888

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, HGVC BAYCLUB
We loved booking open season at Elara and Flamingo. 1 bedroom for 3 night weekend will now cost us $480 to $570. Totally not worth it now

mhoutsma

Reaction score
And you can't cancel

The fact you can't cancel an open season reservation also means any "discount" over the rack rate is apples to oranges. I still like the system overall, but this is a huge downer and makes me much less likely to talk it up to friends and family.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Because others do it, doesn't make it right

As stated in the HGVC Member Guide, HGVC has the right to change the rules.
Program Changes. Club program use options and rules, including but not limited to, the RCI Exchange Program, special exchanges, nightly point values, the Hilton HHonors program, ClubPoint Depositing/Borrowing/Converting, and ClubPartner Perks that may be offered from time to time, are subject to change, adjustment, suspension or discontinuation without notice. Any such changes will not apply to transactions confirmed prior to the effective date of any such change. In the event the point values for accommodations are adjusted, such adjustments shall not disturb the one-to-one purchaser to accommodation ratio, or a Club Member’s ability to reserve their Home Week.

Yes, all of the major hotel based companies have made changes over the years.
But it doesn't make it right and it doesn't mean we have to rollover and play dead.

Change for the better just doesn't happen on it's own. If folks just accepted things because "everyone does it" or "it's always been that way", we won't have some of the things we take for granted today. Folks have to fight and sometimes it's a long struggle and takes multiple attempts to get the desired outcome (like the fight against Big Tobacco, Equal Rights / Equal Pay, Labor Laws, Lemon Law, etc).

LOL, perhaps I need to find a group/board that's is trying to address consumer rights/protection in the timeshare industry.;)

For those who don't know, here are some of the past HGVC changes
- Reduced Home Week Reservation period
- Changed Club Season from check-in date to check-out date
- Changed Open Season to Cash only
- Changed Open Season to accommodate increases for weekends vs weekdays
- Changed Open Season to accommodate increases for the various seasons
- Change Guest Confirmation fee from complimentary
- Changed from the standard point structure for all Club resorts
- Changed from the standard window for Club Season for all Club Resorts (i.e. Hokulani)
- Changed from the standard open season availability for all Club Resort (i.e. W57th St)

Last edited:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Many, many years ago when Marriott devalued their Rental and Resale Programs I saw the writing on the wall and sold my 4 Weeks at a profit no less. I received a total of $85,000 and used about $8,000 of it to purchase 6 carefully selected Weeks at HOA controlled Independents around the country. No doubt a fortuitous decision.

George

I think it's shameful that the well known hotel brands entered in the timeshare business using their reputation and brand recognition with no plans to truly provide the vacation value they promised.

I've also seen the writing on the wall based on the various TUG threads over the years across the various hotel based timeshare forums. It's the same story.

Thank goodness, I found TUG before my first timeshare purchase and didn't spend lots of money on my timeshares. Although, resale prices are much lower now then when I bought years ago.

I made up my mind years ago, that this won't be a long term relationship. I will get what I can out of it and move on. Although, I'm actually thinking about dumping some sooner than expected based on recent events.

Last edited:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Their response ignores the fact that you get absolutely no additional benefit trading in a Honolulu unit for a cruise or other trade in benefit, than you do if you trade in an Orlando or Las Vegas unit. Make up your mind, points are points when you trade them in, but the Open Season benefits for trade in's certainly seems to have great financial advantages for you. The room I bought in Honolulu also cost a lot more than the units in Orlando, for the same number of points. If I trade those in, the variation in price they speak of has already been paid, by me, up front.
Also, if they are expecting it to be a percentage of the Hilton.Com rate, then that rate is already demand oriented. To add an additional charge to that for a weekend rate, or a timeshare season, makes no sense either.
This is a total elimination of the benefit, plain and simple. It also seems to be poorly implemented, with all types of misconstrued criteria and decisions.

Exactly !!

They stated "As the vacation ownership inventory at our properties reaches a sold out status, the Open Season availability for units respectively diminishes."

Oahu has always been in high demand. The two older towers were long sold out before Grand Waikikan came along. There has always been low supply in Oahu. So now years later, this is the reason we need higher prices :rolleyes:

The Lagoon Tower opened in 2001 (13 years ago) with 236 units
The Kalia Tower opened 2004 (10 years ago) with only 72 units.
The Grand Waikikian Tower opened in 2008 (6 years ago) with 331 units.

GeorgeJ.

TUG Member
Reaction score
About a year ago I stayed 3 nights at the Las Vegas Strip HGVC. I checked the Hilton website first and found it was quite a bit cheaper to pay for the stay through Hilton AND get HHonors points for the stay than to pay the Open Season rate.

While the Open Season rates were a great deal back when we bought in the 90's, they haven't been that great in recent years (at least since the rates were different depending upon season). It looks like the 2015 Open Season rates will be pretty much useless. Thanks HGVC...

If it's true that Open Season comes from Hilton inventory, then just what happens to owner weeks that just aren't reserved? Those get transferred to Hilton at some point and the HOA/owners get screwed?

sluggohill

TUG Member
Reaction score
About a year ago I stayed 3 nights at the Las Vegas Strip HGVC. I checked the Hilton website first and found it was quite a bit cheaper to pay for the stay through Hilton AND get HHonors points for the stay than to pay the Open Season rate.

While the Open Season rates were a great deal back when we bought in the 90's, they haven't been that great in recent years (at least since the rates were different depending upon season). It looks like the 2015 Open Season rates will be pretty much useless. Thanks HGVC...

If it's true that Open Season comes from Hilton inventory, then just what happens to owner weeks that just aren't reserved? Those get transferred to Hilton at some point and the HOA/owners get screwed?

Eh...it depends. I looked at Las Vegas for the weekend of Jan 2-Jan 5 and, for studios it was close (still slightly less using OS rates) but as the rooms got bigger the cost diverged and made OS a better deal. I don't think the price difference is worth the points if you value HHonors points at $0.005 per.

The same weekend shows no availability in Orlando on the Hilton booking site but there are studios on HGVClub.com. I guess open season can have availability advantages over the booking site.

Interestingly, on Revolution, Myrtle Beach only shows you can use points for that weekend - no cash option is given. I called HGVC and that appears to be a glitch because she gave a cash option for $99 total for the three nights.

Certainly, though, the larger point that a good benefit of HGVC membership has been devalued is valid. That said, the overall value of membership, if you buy resale, is still pretty good.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Value of HGVC is still good but….

Eh...it depends. I looked at Las Vegas for the weekend of Jan 2-Jan 5 and, for studios it was close (still slightly less using OS rates) but as the rooms got bigger the cost diverged and made OS a better deal. I don't think the price difference is worth the points if you value HHonors points at $0.005 per.

The same weekend shows no availability in Orlando on the Hilton booking site but there are studios on HGVClub.com. I guess open season can have availability advantages over the booking site.

Interestingly, on Revolution, Myrtle Beach only shows you can use points for that weekend - no cash option is given. I called HGVC and that appears to be a glitch because she gave a cash option for $99 total for the three nights.

Certainly, though, the larger point that a good benefit of HGVC membership has been devalued is valid. That said, the overall value of membership, if you buy resale, is still pretty good.

I agree that the value of HGVC is good. However, when you buy into a system with a certain benefits package, just as when you take a job with a certain benefits package and management changes the rules you feel cheated. From what I read Hilton is giving some lame excuses for what they are doing that from a customer perspective doesn't cut it. The higher demand resorts and seasons availability during open season just as the higher demand club resorts and seasons availability is reserved quickly. The open season lower demand resorts and lower demand seasons, at times, remain unreserved. That is a fact of the desirability of location just as in real estate values. However, HGVC management raising the open season rates for those highly desired locations is taking away a benefit that members had. They need to reconsider giving some benefit to members for taking away this benefit.

jonevans

TUG Member
Reaction score
Union yes

Sounds like as a whole we all would like to have a voice in the way we get to use our hgvc system but where do you get to vote?

The new way of american is to just screw over everyone 1 time and then start over doing it again some other way. If you do it is fine as you get something with a benifit but when done to you, now how many time will you let it happen?

The collective are not organized Nor negotiating a veted right so when we all get screwed it is just a single hit to everyone not a mass blow to us all as a single party.

Read the diffrence of views
some find it just making it even- not seeing that they are effecting everyones past and future

Thouse that see that they are being taken advantage of - not seeing that with out a contract you never truly desirve anything

So do you get or give a srew is up to you.

I bought my hgvc with the expectation it would be worth $0 in the future so i am just getting older faster than i think

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
In a thread years-ago, a poster reported that a HGVC CSR had suggested making a hilton.com "hotel" booking before O/S opened, and if O/S proved viable, cancelling the "hotel" booking and rebooking with O/S.

To me, that makes even more sense these days, since you may be able to get a cheaper advance-booking rate thru hilton.com than you would during the O/S 30-day window.

Last edited: