• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Open Season Rates no longer a good deal!!

jestme

Reaction score
I travel every week ... staying in all brands of hotels as our Travel Agency allows me no choice :mad:

On this new chart, a one bedroom during PLATINUM Season tops out at $ 145 for Friday and Saturday .... $ 120 all other days ..... that is a VERY GOOD DEAL, period.

$ 145 will NEVER buy the anything close to the level of any Orlando offering for example.

And again that is a Platinum Season rate!

100% wrong! According to the new schedule the top rate for 1BR during platinum season tops out at $290 a night. That is for the worst 1BR they have. Two years ago, the BEST 1BR+ topped out at $120 / night.
$290 / night? In Orlando? Get real, You must be an "HGVC" plant.

Last edited:

TheCryptkeeper

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at the Flamingo
West 57th St. By Hilton Club
What a shame. Perhaps less people are buying from Hilton directly and it needs the extra money to exercise its ROFR?

Last edited:

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Those are the 2014 rates

I travel every week ... staying in all brands of hotels as our Travel Agency allows me no choice :mad:

On this new chart, a one bedroom during PLATINUM Season tops out at $ 145 for Friday and Saturday .... $ 120 all other days ..... that is a VERY GOOD DEAL, period.

$ 145 will NEVER buy the anything close to the level of any Orlando offering for example.

And again that is a Platinum Season rate!

The $120 and $145 one bedroom rates that you quote are 2014 rates. The 2015 rates start at that for Platinum and can range much higher

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Rates will be based on Demand versus Availability

Agree with all the above. This scares me, as I'm just starting to plan a large family reunion next summer, and we'll need Open Season in addition to Club Season rooms. But if the rates double, it could price out some of the family. I'm guessing, as jestme says, that the high rates are for special occasions. For Vegas in the summer, I really hope we'll see the bottom of that range.

-Bob

That rates will be based on demand versus availability. Las Vegas has lots of demand. It is extremely hot in the summer so that I don't think that the demand will be so great that it outdo the availability.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I corrected my statement about Las Vagas, availability is high

Agree with all the above. This scares me, as I'm just starting to plan a large family reunion next summer, and we'll need Open Season in addition to Club Season rooms. But if the rates double, it could price out some of the family. I'm guessing, as jestme says, that the high rates are for special occasions. For Vegas in the summer, I really hope we'll see the bottom of that range.

-Bob

That rates will be based on demand versus availability. Las Vegas has lots of availability It is extremely hot in the summer so that I don't think that the demand will be so great that it outdo the availability.

brial05

TUG Member
Reaction score
100% wrong! According to the new schedule the top rate for 1BR during platinum season tops out at $290 a night. That is for the worst 1BR they have. Two years ago, the BEST 1BR+ topped out at $120 / night.
$290 / night? In Orlando? Get real, You must be an "HGVC" plant.

jestme,

I'm not the one in need of 'getting real'.
You are talking about a 1 Bedroom Penthouse ..... again a pure 1 Bedroom tops out $145 .... its not a 'Penthouse' so I guess I need to get real and live as large as you.

I just stayed in a one bedroom Parc Soleil, # 11012 to be exact ..... to pay $ 145 a night for that room is a GREAT DEAL.

Is the price as good as you are noting from the past, no it is not.

Call Hilton Bonnet Creek, call the Hilton Orlando, call the Gaylord Palm, you will not get a room for $ 145 ..... and the room you get will be twice as small.

Yes, I'm a plant, Hilton pays me money to post in a manner which is going to convince you that you are the best person in the world, that Hilton loves you and that no one but Hilton knows best how you should invest your money.

Great3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, just wow!!!

You guys aren't kidding, looked like the rates pretty much doubled for 2015. I didn't realize what you guys were talking about at first, until I finally took a look at classic and revolution system and saw the new rates chart, and tried a few booking (which of course I didn't complete) to see what the costs were.

I was considering open season for part of 2015, but if the high end of the price range holds true, than I for sure won't be booking any open season, and if nobody does either, than HGVC/Hilton will be left with a bunch of unused rooms/nights. They have effectively created zero demand, and will be left with an over abundant of supply, in my humble opinion.

Sadly, like others, I purchased into HGVC (just barely got my account setup about 2 weeks ago) with the hope/belief that I can get reasonable open season rates. Sigh!!!!! So Sad :(

letsgosteelers

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looks to me this is a result of the recent hilton IPO.

And we thought the Hilton honors point devaluation was bad...not to mention the whole category level expansion and reclassification.

it was just the beginning...sigh.

Last edited:

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
jestme,

You are talking about a 1 Bedroom Penthouse ..... again a pure 1 Bedroom tops out $145 .... its not a 'Penthouse' so I guess I need to get real and live as large as you.

I just stayed in a one bedroom Parc Soleil, # 11012 to be exact ..... to pay $ 145 a night for that room is a GREAT DEAL.

Call Hilton Bonnet Creek, call the Hilton Orlando, call the Gaylord Palm, you will not get a room for $ 145 ..... and the room you get will be twice as small.

Yes, I'm a plant, Hilton pays me money to post in a manner which is going to convince you that you are the best person in the world, that Hilton loves you and that no one but Hilton knows best how you should invest your money.

Just an FYI, most of us here are not used to paying so much to stay in Orlando in top digs. I can get most of the Marriotts in Orlando for a full week for the price of 2 or 3 nights in HGVC thru II, so I guess I'll be staying in more Marriotts going forward than in HGVC.

I am one who purchased HGVC to get access to the Open Season rates too. Now I feel it's not worth it for Orlando any longer. HGVC has just devalued it's self in my eyes to just another run of the mill timeshare. And you can get a room at Bonnet Creek for $100 a night or less on ebay or from one of our mega renters here and it has a superior location. I like Parc Soleil but not enough to pay those expensive rates. For that I'll stay on site at Disney. :rolleyes:

holdaer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Parc Soleil, a HGVC
Paradise, a HGVC
R-e-l-a-x

Change is difficult for many people and looks like the new 2015 open season tiered pricing is freaking some people out.

CHILL. Take a closer look and see what is really going on.

For example, look at Las Vegas open season 1BR 12/11 - 12/15

Paradise = 1,680pts/ $360

Boulevard = 2,380 / $400

Flamingo = 1,680/ $360

Here is Orlando with the same parameters:

Parc Soleil = 2,380 / $400

Tuscany Village = 2,380 / $380

Seaworld = 1,680 / $360

Does anyone recognize tiered pricing and now a tiered point structure? Yes, big bad corporate american profit mongers are recognizing that not all facilities are the same. Some are actually nicer and have more amenities and would call for a higher rate.

For the fear mongers out there, stay away from open season and these changes so there will be more availability for those who are not freaked by a little change. Oh and one more thing, because my opinion may not match up with some then I guess I'm a Hilton plant as well....NOT.

jestme

Reaction score
jestme,

Yes, it WAS a great deal. You now need to look at what that same room will cost you in platinum season in 2015. With the new pricing table, that 1BR weekend rate starts at $145 and tops off at $290. The 1BR penthouse you refer to starts at $290 and tops off at $580. I could have had that same 1BR, $145 price in Hawaii this month, next month, in 2015 for a 1BR (not even a plus), it will be $280 / night. (I checked). Not quite double, and in 2013 I could have had that same room for $100. I also checked a 1BR+, in 2015, it will be $330 a night there!

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, it WAS a great deal. You now need to look at what that same room will cost you in platinum season in 2015. With the new pricing table, that 1BR weekend rate starts at $145 and tops off at $290. The 1BR penthouse you refer to starts at $290 and tops off at $580. I could have had that same 1BR, $145 price in Hawaii this month, next month, in 2015 for a 1BR (not even a plus), it will be $280 / night. (I checked). Not quite double, and in 2013 I could have had that same room for $100. I also checked a 1BR+, in 2015, it will be $330 a night there!

Well, there are a few ways to look at this.

1. Supply and Demand. If they can raise the prices to this and still keep occupancy at above 90%, then HGVC customers are fine with it. Alternativly, if occupancy drops to below 70%, then customers are not fine with it.

2. They have decided to stop subsidizing low point owners usage of HGVC rooms. You look at it as a price increase, but the reality is that HGVC was (possibly, you would have to do the math), renting out the rooms for less than the MF they were paying on them. These prices seem like they would put HGVC in line with being able to cover Maint Fees on these rooms. At the same time, Low point owners would be put in the position of having to buy more points if the MFs start being less than the rental cost on open season.

There is a sweet spot where rental rate is more than the MF, but less than the cost to rent the room as an outsider and/or getting a hotel room. HGVC is trying to find that spot, and given how deeply these rooms were subsidized in the past, we will probably see more price increases in the near future.

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
I am glad I didn't pull the trigger on a Hilton points package last year. When I read about HGVC going public it made me nervous. I figured I'd be better off using my AAA card discount and just rent an occasional night or two in Orlando at one of the Hilton properties.

Last edited:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Change is difficult for many people and looks like the new 2015 open season tiered pricing is freaking some people out.

CHILL. Take a closer look and see what is really going on.

For example, look at Las Vegas open season 1BR 12/11 - 12/15

Paradise = 1,680pts/ $360

Boulevard = 2,380 / $400

Flamingo = 1,680/ $360

Here is Orlando with the same parameters:

Parc Soleil = 2,380 / $400

Tuscany Village = 2,380 / $380

Seaworld = 1,680 / $360

Does anyone recognize tiered pricing and now a tiered point structure? Yes, big bad corporate american profit mongers are recognizing that not all facilities are the same. Some are actually nicer and have more amenities and would call for a higher rate.

For the fear mongers out there, stay away from open season and these changes so there will be more availability for those who are not freaked by a little change. Oh and one more thing, because my opinion may not match up with some then I guess I'm a Hilton plant as well....NOT.

Those are dates in 2014; wouldn't those be using the existing 2014 rates, not the new 2015 rates?

Kurt

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Well, there are a few ways to look at this.

1. Supply and Demand. If they can raise the prices to this and still keep occupancy at above 90%, then HGVC customers are fine with it. Alternativly, if occupancy drops to below 70%, then customers are not fine with it.

2. They have decided to stop subsidizing low point owners usage of HGVC rooms. You look at it as a price increase, but the reality is that HGVC was (possibly, you would have to do the math), renting out the rooms for less than the MF they were paying on them. These prices seem like they would put HGVC in line with being able to cover Maint Fees on these rooms. At the same time, Low point owners would be put in the position of having to buy more points if the MFs start being less than the rental cost on open season.

There is a sweet spot where rental rate is more than the MF, but less than the cost to rent the room as an outsider and/or getting a hotel room. HGVC is trying to find that spot, and given how deeply these rooms were subsidized in the past, we will probably see more price increases in the near future.

What you say may be perfectly true, and that is exactly why I have said this is HGVC destroying a benefit for their owners.

When I bought, deeply subsidized Open Season rates were touted as a big benefit to ownership, and was a big factor in choosing to buy HGVC over a different timeshare. HGVC properties sell for more (retail and in resale) than most other timeshares partly due to the benefits the buyers receive as owners. Now HGVC is making Open Season pricing in line with the open market pricing. Hence, no more benefit to owners.

Any bets on what this will do to resale pricing of HGVC properties? There have been multiple people that stated they bought into HGVC because of the Open Season pricing benefit. Less demand for HGVC properties will lead to lower prices.

Kurt

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Owners Send your Comments to HGVC

We, HGVC members, are waiting to hear what top Management says about our reaction to the exorbitant rate increases.. Owners don't want to be treated as everyone. We have bought into the system and expect a big discount off the rates that outsiders pay. Make outsiders own, as we do, or pay much more than us, not the same or just a little more. That is what we want. Nothing less will be acceptable to reward our good feelings and our dollars to buy HGVC property. We feel like family when we are at a Hilton, we want to feel like family when we book an open season reservation, not like the general public.

I sent this to Barbara Rinks, Director of Member Services at HGVC Central Office. BRinks@HGVC.com

Send your own comments. Be respectful, indicate your displeasure, and expect to be treated as owners, members, and faithful Hilton people that expect to be rewarded for our dollars.
Tamaradarann is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message

holdaer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Parc Soleil, a HGVC
Paradise, a HGVC
Doh!

Those are dates in 2014; wouldn't those be using the existing 2014 rates, not the new 2015 rates?

Kurt

Hmmm, good point. Well, I guess I should R-E-L-A-X.

At least I have a frame of reference posted. I'll compare the same resorts in 2015 open season (same season) and see how different they are from each other. Looking at them together will provide a good visual reference.

:doh:

bastroum

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have owned HGVC since 2000, along with Marriott and Starwood since 2006. There have been many changes in all the systems since. This is just one more. Everything changes and you need to adapt. Find other ways to save money using the system. These companies are in the business of making a profit and that's what HGVC is doing here. The only way it changes back is if no one books Open Season and the rooms go empty.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Check out the HGVC website -- they literally just changed the Open Season rate sheet. I was there earlier today and it was still showing the 2014 rates.

Here are the 2015 rates:
OpenSeason2014.jpg

Note the price range now. There is no explanation on how the ranges will be used, but it seems that HGVC can simply just pick a rate within that range, depending on how they feel.

Like I said before -- Open Season is no longer a benefit for HGVC owners. :wall:

Kurt

This is ridiculous.
How is this a perk for owners? We're already paying by season. Why should we now have to pay a range within a season?
I can understand perhaps a higher rate for event weeks but not every season!!

HGVC members need to shop around.
There are better options out there. Don't buy more HGVC points because Open Season rates are no longer a good deal instead buy a non-HGVC (that gives you full online RCI access and/or Interval Interval access).
1st - HGVC is not showing you all of the available RCI rental inventory via Extra Vacations. HGVC members only have online access RCI's Last Call which only shows availability 45 days out. Last Call is a small subset of RCI Extra Vacations. RCI Extra Vacations currently shows rental rates through May 2016 !!
2nd - There are cheaper options outside of HGVC especially in areas such as Orlando and Vegas where there is a much higher supply of timeshares and it's available months in advance.

Here are some examples of RCI Extra Vacations that HGVC members can't see online via HGVC's RCI portal
- http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208000&highlight=extra
- http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208663&highlight=extra
- http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215901&highlight=extra
- http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208664&highlight=extra
- http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208662&highlight=extra

On the RCI site, RCI members can rent a two bedroom at the HGVC Orlando resorts via RCI Extra Vacations months in advance for $1000 all year round.
HGVC member can't see this via the RCI portal since these are beyond the Last Call however HGVC members can still call up to book these reservations via the HGVC RCI desk.

I'll come back to post the link to show folks the RCI's Extra Vacation Dates & Rates for the HGVC resorts on the Sightings Forum - http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220328 (NOTE: need to be a TUG member to view).

Last edited:

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have owned HGVC since 2000, along with Marriott and Starwood since 2006. There have been many changes in all the systems since. This is just one more.

You are right. Many changes and more to come. None will favor Owners. It is just the way the game is played.

George

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Send your comments to HGVC

I agree with Tamaradarann that owners need to voice their concern otherwise silence will be interpreted as acceptance (that as owners we have no issue with this latest changes).

I have an issue since Open Season Rates have dramatically changed since I bought HGVC in 2003 (see table below).

2015 Open Season
Studio $60 - $290/night
One Bedroom $80 - $580/night
Two Bedroom $105 - $750/night
Three Bedroom $160 - $880/night

Open Season Cash Rental Rate History
13043211994_c8c27a8a72_o.jpg

Everything costs more (Maintenance Fees, Booking Fees, Annual Club Dues, Point Stretching Exchange Fees, etc) and we're getting less and less for our dollars.

HGVC is ok with charging us more for Open Season however we're not seeing any increase our side for better conversion rates for HHonors and Club Partner Perks.

Keep in mind, HGVC allows Club Members to apply your points towards non-timeshare stays such as cruises and Hilton Hotels stays but it doesn't provide it at a great rate. Depending on the hotel you select, you are more than likely to spend more for the room using HGVC than using cash. Hilton went from hotel room costing 450 to 1,500 HGVC pts/nt in 2003 to hotels room costing 375 to 4,750 HGVC pts /nt in 2014.
NOTE: Owners who bought years ago were told how they can trade their points to travel worldwide using Hilton hotels/resorts however Club members can't get the similar level of accommodations with the same number of points years later.

HGVC Executives - http://www.hiltongrandvacationsmediacenter.com/index.cfm/page/11003

Mark Wang's contact information from the ARDA website
President Global Sales & Hilton Grand Vacations
Hilton Worldwide
5323 Millenia Lakes Boulevard
Suite 400
Orlando, FL 32839
407.722.3100 phone
407.722.3123 fax
mwang@hgvc.com

Last edited:

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Changes are part of Life But……….

You are right. Many changes and more to come. None will favor Owners. It is just the way the game is played.

George

Changes are part of life so we all have to be prepared for them. Prices go up, Hilton Honors Point Requirements have been raised, and open season reservations have become season dependent.

However, I have never seen change or increases go up 100% in one day. That is excessive and will make our Open Season Rates comparable to the price that outsiders pay. Therefore, we will not be getting the benefit we have been sold as HGVC members. If our Open Season Rate is going to be $300 a night for a one bedroom, then they need to have the non-members pay $600 a night without a discount when the room doesn't get booked.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
FYI....

There's a question posted on HGVC's facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/HiltonGrandVacations

Hello! I posted something last night and it is strangely gone. I asked why the Open Season rates are up 100%. I tried for 2 nights in a 2 bedroom Premier and it was over $900 Jan.1-3, 2015!

Hilton Grand Vacations: Let us find out for you! Stay tuned.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
It's still there on Facebook this morning under "Posts to Page".
Right now, it's still the first entry by Nina Jo-Ring on December 6 at 8:56am

https://www.facebook.com/HiltonGrandVacations

For those, who don't know, the very small "Posts to Page" section can be found in the left hand column after several other sections.
- Scroll down past the other sections in the left hand column (People, About, Photos, Videos, Liked by this Page, and Apps)
- Then click on the ">" sign in the upper right hand corner of the "Post to Page" Section to expand the section and click to see all comments for each entry. For example right now it is showing the number "3" to indicate three comments.