• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ongoing Sales Incentive - Enrolling Post-6/20/10 Weeks [MERGED]

Mroze

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MKO,MRD,MCV,DCP
WKV,WNA
HYS,HYN,HYB
It could just be salespeople using scare tactics to get me to buy in a panic.

However, at the last 3-4 presentations I attended [including from corp. over Teams] we were told that "Hybrid" will no longer be offered once the final rollout of the merger is done.
At last weeks presentation, I was told that Vistana owners will be offered a price to enroll [which could be north of $20/DCP] and hybrid would not be an option.
Anticipated soft rollout could be 2 months away [May/June].

Since we are at 20K-DCP [Weeks/Points] I asked the lady from corp. "what do I gain by purchasing any more" since we just purchased in Oct-2021 with the assurance that our last purchase would count toward the enrollment of our Vistana weeks. Lets wait and see. :(

She also informed me that Marriott would be creating at least 1 more level above Chairmans-Club.
She said we should try and get to 25K-DCP.
I asked what if Marriott decided that I needed to get o 35K for that new level.
She rationalized that Marriott was unlikely to set the bar 10K-DCP [@ $20/DCP = $200K] above the current Chairmans-Club [15K-DCP] as that would deter people from attempting to upgrade.

Beyond that everything she mentioned seemed like total sales BS and was almost all inaccurate.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
It could just be salespeople using scare tactics to get me to buy in a panic.

However, at the last 3-4 presentations I attended [including from corp. over Teams] we were told that "Hybrid" will no longer be offered once the final rollout of the merger is done.
At last weeks presentation, I was told that Vistana owners will be offered a price to enroll [which could be north of $20/DCP] and hybrid would not be an option.
Anticipated soft rollout could be 2 months away [May/June].

Since we are at 20K-DCP [Weeks/Points] I asked the lady from corp. "what do I gain by purchasing any more" since we just purchased in Oct-2021 with the assurance that our last purchase would count toward the enrollment of our Vistana weeks. Lets wait and see. :(

She also informed me that Marriott would be creating at least 1 more level above Chairmans-Club.
She said we should try and get to 25K-DCP.
I asked what if Marriott decided that I needed to get o 35K for that new level.
She rationalized that Marriott was unlikely to set the bar 10K-DCP [@ $20/DCP = $200K] above the current Chairmans-Club [15K-DCP] as that would deter people from attempting to upgrade.

Beyond that everything she mentioned seemed like total sales BS and was almost all inaccurate.
Well, they claim to have done a soft rollout yesterday. Not much new information though other than some marketing signage at the sales galleries. I highly doubt there will be a $20pp price level any time in the near future. Perhaps several years away. I think your BS detector was working pretty well...

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
The concept of a level above Chairmans seems like a potentially good idea, but the bigger problem was Chairmans not really having much extra over the level below it.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
However, at the last 3-4 presentations I attended [including from corp. over Teams] we were told that "Hybrid" will no longer be offered...
There are of course no guarantees, but it was in 2016 that I was first told that "Hybrid" sales would soon be discontinued.

sunski

Reaction score
So has anyone completed one of these deals since March and if so are you willing to share the details or link me to a post where this has been discussed recently.
TIA

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott grand vista
Ko olina
Canyon villas
So has anyone completed one of these deals since March and if so are you willing to share the details or link me to a post where this has been discussed recently.
TIA

it ends on the 15th. We did it last year but the pts required were higherlast year. We considered enrolling a week we are taking from my aunt but we like the week and we are already chairman so we decided not to do it. One week was 2500 pts two was 3500 and 3 or more 5000

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
3 to 7 weeks required a 5000 point purchase. If enrolling 7+ weeks you will be required to buy more than 5000 points.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

DRH90277

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Ocean Watch, Newport Coast, Grand Chateau, Custom House, Timber Lodge, VCP's.
TIA
We participated in the deal and bought 5,000 VCP's and enrolled 7 weeks to true up our vacation portfolio for the kids to use when we're gone. There is not much to say as the terms are pretty fixed at buy 5,000 points (with a nominal discount from list), and some Plus Points as an incentive. I still have mixed feelings about the deal as our portfolio is pretty robust and we can do about anything "subject primarily to the shortage of good quality reservation access through points." Reliance on week owner deposits to fill my point reservation requests is a big problem for me and I think MVC is taking advantage of us.

So, they hyped the Vistana/Weston/Sheraton deal which is nothing to me as any noticeable access to weeks and benefits to MVC owners is at least 3 years out. I don't see the Trust ever having enough "better inventory" (from existing MVC program or in Abound) to meet the demand using points. They are simply letting us "make do" with older stuff and the resorts are aging. The Vistana deal does not seem to change this. Answer this - Ten years from now will the Abound resort choices be better or worse than they are today, and will there be enough inventory to satisfy the demand?

I probably would have improved our position more by spending the money on more great resale units.

Good luck. I suggest you just call a salesperson for the embellished story.

Last edited:

sunski

Reaction score
We participated in the deal and bought 5,000 VCP's and enrolled 7 weeks to true up our vacation portfolio for the kids to use when we're gone. There is not much to say as the terms are pretty fixed at buy 5,000 points (with a nominal discount from list), and some Plus Points as an incentive. I still have mixed feelings about the deal as our portfolio is pretty robust and we can do about anything "subject primarily to the shortage of good quality reservation access through points." Reliance on week owner deposits to fill my point reservation requests is a big problem for me and I think MVC is taking advantage of us.

So, they hyped the Vistana/Weston/Sheraton deal which is nothing to me as any noticeable access to weeks and benefits to MVC owners is at least 3 years out. I don't see the Trust ever having enough "better inventory" (from existing MVC program or in Abound) to meet the demand using points. They are simply letting us "make do" with older stuff and the resorts are aging. The Vistana deal does not seem to change this. Answer this - Ten years from now will the Abound resort choices be better or worse than they are today, and will there be enough inventory to satisfy the demand?

I probably would have improved our position more by spending the money on more great resale units.

Good luck. I suggest you just call a salesperson for the embellished story.
Thanks. I'm not really interested in more points either and the addition of Vistana is not a big draw for me either. I'm mainly doing it just to have the flexibility, especially if my kid wants it when I'm no longer able to use my Ownership. I have multiple weeks I'd like to enroll, mainly GRC at Tahoe so that might be slightly different.

sunski

Reaction score
Thanks. I guess I'm still a little confused if this deal ending soon also includes Hybrid or even if anyone has been able to get other resales in with a hybrid purchase of if it's only the Hybrid week that gets enrolled. I've read so many posts, I'm losing track

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I guess I'm still a little confused if this deal ending soon also includes Hybrid or even if anyone has been able to get other resales in with a hybrid purchase of if it's only the Hybrid week that gets enrolled. I've read so many posts, I'm losing track
My understanding that the resell hybrid week would count as one of the seven but otherwise it would be an option if you met the minimum requirements to enroll. This could either be the 5000 points or minimum spend such as an Aruba week. Generally speaking buying a week to enroll is a better short and long-term option than just buying the points.

sunski

Reaction score
3 to 7 weeks required a 5000 point purchase. If enrolling 7+ weeks you will be required to buy more than 5000 points.

Hi Frank
I think I tried to send you a pm because from what I've read, you also own GRC tahoe and have done both a points purchase and a weeks purchase to qualify your resale weeks?

sunski

Reaction score
My understanding that the resell hybrid week would count as one of the seven but otherwise it would be an option if you met the minimum requirements to enroll. This could either be the 5000 points or minimum spend such as an Aruba week. Generally speaking buying a week to enroll is a better short and long-term option than just buying the points.
thanks Dean
I'd prefer to buy a week rather than points. Does anyone know if the enrollment with a weeks purchase is only offered during this same time frame March-September? And I think I've read that people have purchased weeks (Aruba/Spain) from corporate but elsewhere I thought I read you had to purchase from that location directly? With or without being there?

sunski

Reaction score
I'm pondering the rationale of doing these promos only over the summer. Wouldn't you think that summer is the busiest season for the sales team anyway with most people still traveling during these months at least in US and Europe?

DRH90277

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Ocean Watch, Newport Coast, Grand Chateau, Custom House, Timber Lodge, VCP's.
Hi Frank
I think I tried to send you a pm because from what I've read, you also own GRC tahoe and have done both a points purchase and a weeks purchase to qualify your resale weeks?

We had some additional weeks that I would have liked to enroll but they were purchased recently and didn't qualify. If you wanted to enroll more than 7, the answer is buy more points to get the additional enrollments. We only bought the 5,000 points to get the 7 enrollments and that was quite a premium to pay for just enrollments.

Remember, this offer is over in a few days.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We had some additional weeks that I would have liked to enroll but they were purchased recently and didn't qualify. If you wanted to enroll more than 7, the answer is buy more points to get the additional enrollments. We only bought the 5,000 points to get the 7 enrollments and that was quite a premium to pay for just enrollments.

Remember, this offer is over in a few days.
It varies, they often make exceptions. You have to have the right guy who is willing to push for the option.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
thanks Dean
I'd prefer to buy a week rather than points. Does anyone know if the enrollment with a weeks purchase is only offered during this same time frame March-September? And I think I've read that people have purchased weeks (Aruba/Spain) from corporate but elsewhere I thought I read you had to purchase from that location directly? With or without being there?
The program is usually the same but not always exactly the same dates. One can buy a week or multiple weeks and there is a minimum dollar spend to do so. Sometimes it actually starts earlier in some locations, like Aruba and St. Kitts. It’s usually cheaper than buying the points and the These tend to be much cheaper as well if one buys high-end weeks. Last I saw it was cheaper to buy Saint kitts than Aruba. At times Spain weeks have also been cheaper. Aruba reps can also now sell Saint Kitt weeks.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I'm pondering the rationale of doing these promos only over the summer. Wouldn't you think that summer is the busiest season for the sales team anyway with most people still traveling during these months at least in US and Europe?
It’s not always just in the summer. We enrolled our two resale Hawaii weeks with one of those packages in Nov 2020 while we were at Crystal Shores. That one though may have been due to them using that promo to boost sales during Covid travel disruption.

sunski

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Does one have to buy directly from the Aruba/Spain locations or can the corporate office sell you these weeks too?

Anyone with a GRC Tahoe know if you always need to pay the $5000 enrollment fee in addition or is that negotiable?

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Thanks everyone. Does one have to buy directly from the Aruba/Spain locations or can the corporate office sell you these weeks too?

Anyone with a GRC Tahoe know if you always need to pay the $5000 enrollment fee in addition or is that negotiable?
The $5K was optional. Now it is mandatory when buying DC points.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Each location can sell their own where applicable. Aruba can sell st kitts. Internet sales can sell most but I don’t think they can sell Spain. For fractionals you can enroll year round. Can enroll fractional by buying qualified weeks but the spend amount is higher. I have an Aruba contact if you’d like it.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Fairly basic question, but also complex with the current 'ABOUND' issues.......

Hope someone can help or direct to proper thread for resolution.....
  • We currently own: MGV (Grande Vista 3br post '10 resale), Westin WKORV OFD (2 br OF deluxe, 176,700 SO ), and Key West (2BR 81,000 SO)
    • Marriott This nets two MGV Marriott deposits in Interval (and/or FL club)-- no option for enrollment (post-10)
    • Westin: This nets 257,700 SO's OR 8,325 POINTS (OFD) plus 2,725 POINTS (KW) Total: 11,050 POINTS for Abound.
    • Listed as 'Presidential' on both MVC and Vistana

My goal is pretty simple: More flexibility for vacations, earlier booking (not Interval-yikes), Chairman status (or equiv) if it helps........
  • We have Worldmark for Interval/RCI and Worldmark. Works pretty well
  • We are NOT getting a lot from the Marriott(s) these days in Interval for 'high value' exchanges.
  • I don't want to 'opt for points' on the WKORV OFD every year...it's too valuable/expensive for that option
  • Booking at 13 mos (again) would really help.
Questions
  1. What do you think it would take to enroll/requal the Marriott 3br MGV ? Worth the money/effort?
  2. Best way to generate Chairman status from a money/use perspective? Worth the money/effort?
  3. Can we rent points into Abound if I deposit the Keywest 81,000 SO's? Do I have to deposit to rent points?
  4. Should I sell the Marriott and focus Westin? Resale Flex or something? Currently at the resort with 'presentation status' for pricing on Flex etc
  5. Should I aquire something else Marriott (with requal/hybrid) and sell/sell-back the MGV ?
Thanks in advance for the help, and thread alignment if required. Cheers.
PSX_20230206_090102.jpg

Windy but Wonderful in Ka'anapali (that's Luna, not Sol)

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Fairly basic question, but also complex with the current 'ABOUND' issues.......

Hope someone can help or direct to proper thread for resolution.....
  • We currently own: MGV (Grande Vista 3br post '10 resale), Westin WKORV OFD (2 br OF deluxe, 176,700 SO ), and Key West (2BR 81,000 SO)
    • Marriott This nets two MGV Marriott deposits in Interval (and/or FL club)-- no option for enrollment (post-10)
    • Westin: This nets 257,700 SO's OR 8,325 POINTS (OFD) plus 2,725 POINTS (KW) Total: 11,050 POINTS for Abound.
    • Listed as 'Presidential' on both MVC and Vistana

My goal is pretty simple: More flexibility for vacations, earlier booking (not Interval-yikes), Chairman status (or equiv) if it helps........
  • We have Worldmark for Interval/RCI and Worldmark. Works pretty well
  • We are NOT getting a lot from the Marriott(s) these days in Interval for 'high value' exchanges.
  • I don't want to 'opt for points' on the WKORV OFD every year...it's too valuable/expensive for that option
  • Booking at 13 mos (again) would really help.
Questions
  1. What do you think it would take to enroll/requal the Marriott 3br MGV ? Worth the money/effort?
  2. Best way to generate Chairman status from a money/use perspective? Worth the money/effort?
  3. Can we rent points into Abound if I deposit the Keywest 81,000 SO's? Do I have to deposit to rent points?
  4. Should I sell the Marriott and focus Westin? Resale Flex or something? Currently at the resort with 'presentation status' for pricing on Flex etc
  5. Should I aquire something else Marriott (with requal/hybrid) and sell/sell-back the MGV ?
Thanks in advance for the help, and thread alignment if required. Cheers.
View attachment 72759
Windy but Wonderful in Ka'anapali (that's Luna, not Sol)
You can already book 1+ night at 13 months as Presidential when using Club Points.

You don't have to elect points in order to transfer in points.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Why do you want Chairman's status? I have always thought the prestige levels Marriott wants to sell us have more to do with giving the salespeople a target than with increased usefulness for owners (at least after Executive level). You already have the ability to reserve 1+ day 13 months in advance and the ability to rent points.

I get your frustration with Interval, but Chairman's status won't change that. Other than that, are your timeshares working for you? Because if it's not broken, there is no reason to fix it.

ocdb8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
I won't answer all your questions, but generally would just say that you should spend the next year working with Abound first. You already have basically all the capability you need to see what availability actually emerges at that 13 and 12 month mark and can always rent in points if you need them. The system has not been up for very long, but thus far I am fairly unimpressed. My impression is that if you're willing to be online right at the time inventory is released, you can get decent availability....but within a few days it completely dries up for anything "high value". Compared to my historic experience with VSN, availability in VSN is better for "high value" resorts and weeks. No idea how things will pan out over time, but I am hesitant to invest further in purely Abound points.

If after some time you still feel Abound will work for you, I would consider picking up a couple of Platinum Lagunamar weeks and enrolling them with a direct purchase. This way you get the benefit of a week that offers a pretty good number Abound points (4950) AND 148,100 VSN points. Currently resale Lagunamar weeks are also a bargain compared to any MVC weeks with similar Abound point generation plus the MF/point ratio is great.