• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ongoing Sales Incentive - Enrolling Post-6/20/10 Weeks [MERGED]

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
The Plus Points are how those bonus points show up in your MVC Destinations account, separate from your yearly allotments.

When you consider the value of those 12K bonus points (~$7K+), I think you net down to about $7/point. Still a little steep compared to under $5/point resale all-in right now, but if you have some valuable resale weeks with relatively low maintenance fees (which my gold MGV units are unfortunately NOT...) not a bad deal.

Wahoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Summit Watch
Marriott Mountainside
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Grande Ocean
Marriott Ocean Watch
Still not incentive enough for me to bite. Give me the option to pay $5,000 per week to enroll and I’m there.
For me I think the threshold to get me to bite would be more like $1000-$2000/week.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
For me I think the threshold to get me to bite would be more like $1000-$2000/week.
It needs to be enticing to MVC as well. I don’t think they’d go that low. I’m guessing the $5000 price would be equivalent to a 1000 point purchase once they factor in all costs and commissions.

jimwu921

TUG Member
Reaction score
OP, did you get a specific discount and bonus for 5500 points or same percentage and discounts as for 4000?

It was hard enough to get the price for 4000 level so I didnt pursue further. Did a rough extrapolation (0 --> 4000 pts, $14/pt --> $10.18/pt) and it shows going to 5500 level could drop the price per pt to about $8.75. Does that sound reasonable?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
It was hard enough to get the price for 4000 level so I didnt pursue further. Did a rough extrapolation (0 --> 4000 pts, $14/pt --> $10.18/pt) and it shows going to 5500 level could drop the price per pt to about $8.75. Does that sound reasonable?
The $14.54 to $10.18 is a 30% discount. It’s unlikely they would discount in a linear fashion for more points purchased.

Historically the 4000 point scenario has gotten you a 20% discount plus other incentives, so the 30% discount quoted above is certainly more aggressive than in the past.

Last edited:

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
I
just got off the phone with rep in headquarter. Took a good half hour to just get the price tag. I am interested but wants to wait for a better timing.....

3000 pts for 1 week
4000 pts for 2 weeks
5500 pts for 3-7 weeks

$10.18 per pts at 4000 level with $5000 discount paying with cash, total will be $35720. Per pt price drops to $8.93.

Incentive: 12000 plus points (different than regular point?) good for 3 year

Where is the week you are enrolling and what season is it in? What is it’s points value in the DC system? That would have a lot to do with my thought consideration. If you’re bringing in a week with high DC point value, then it’s worth considering. You may wish to consider buying a week in Aruba, St. Kitts or Spain instead of straight points. You would pay less price per point if you bought a higher DC point value week. I went through the process and was going to buy a week 7 or 52 at St. Kitts for its higher point DC point value. It was way cheaper than buying points. In addition the more points for the higher value weeks brings the maintenance fee per point down.

What are plus points?

Something to consider.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe plus points are one time use points, i.e., not permanent or recurring. So, you use them, and they go away.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
I believe plus points are one time use points, i.e., not permanent or recurring. So, you use them, and they go away.
Can they be banked or transferred?

Last edited:

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think they can be banked, they typically have a period they are good for. The OP says his were good for 3 years. Transferred? No idea, I would think not but am not sure.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
just got off the phone with rep in headquarter. Took a good half hour to just get the price tag. I am interested but wants to wait for a better timing.....

3000 pts for 1 week
4000 pts for 2 weeks
5500 pts for 3-7 weeks

$10.18 per pts at 4000 level with $5000 discount paying with cash, total will be $35720. Per pt price drops to $8.93.

Incentive: 12000 plus points (different than regular point?) good for 3 year
So you're looking to enroll 2 weeks? I wonder what it would be to enroll those 2 weeks right now with an Aruba or St. Kitts purchase?

jimwu921

TUG Member
Reaction score
So you're looking to enroll 2 weeks? I wonder what it would be to enroll those 2 weeks right now with an Aruba or St. Kitts purchase?

That is a good question. I have 2.5 weeks (2 aruba surf gold and half grand chateau) and plan to push for only 4000 pts purchase. Other tugers have done it so should be no issue. I image the Aruba purchase offer will be in similar price range as 4000 pts (a platinum week for 2 week enrollment is at $37k+ from last year dp). Will follow up with them on that.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
That is a good question. I have 2.5 weeks (2 aruba surf gold and half grand chateau) and plan to push for only 4000 pts purchase. Other tugers have done it so should be no issue. I image the Aruba purchase offer will be in similar price range as 4000 pts (a platinum week for 2 week enrollment is at $37k+ from last year dp). Will follow up with them on that.

With the 12000 DC point bonus with purchase of 4000 DC points it brings your true cost down to about $28k. Easily rent those 12k points @.60 each.

Better buy to me than the weeks purchase at St. Kitts. But there will be a difference in MF. I would see how many years it would take to break even the $9k difference between the 4k DC points and the st Kitts week MF.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I’ve seen 7.5 weeks (me), 8 weeks and 2 fractional for the price of one. I personally haven’t seen indications of 2.5 for the price of 2 but I could see it happening. Price for your level will likely be similar with an Aruba or St. Kitt’s purchase but it depends on what level you decide and they will do. The more you pay up front the cheaper your dues will be on a per point basis but there’s the up front costs to factor in which can be a lot more. Personally I’d check at least to know your options. I’m guessing mind you but you’re likely looking at a Surf Dlub 2 BR Platinum GV or a 1 BR Ocean Club Platinum week or a higher view Gold week to quality. Since all of your weeks have the potential for lockoff’s and trading (assuming GC is not a 1BR), that’s a potential $300-500 on average per year swing depending on exchange and lockoff volume and could be as much as $1000 a year if you were to lockoff and exchange everything. IF you only lockoff and trade these GC week EOY it’s around $400 every 2 years. But it also gives you options on your other weeks including change/cancelation fee waivers. It’s not likely that is enough to justify enrollment on their own but the benefits add up, as do the cost. Let us know how it goes and what you find out.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
I’m sorry, but if plus points are one time Destination points, the 12,000 (twelve thousand) seems like way more than is usually offered. It’s way out of alignment from offers I’ve read about. I

jimwu921

TUG Member
Reaction score
Said they are not licensed to sell Aruba weeks to OR residents. That is new to me :unsure:

The rep said buying points will be my best option since they rolled pricing back to launch date (I checked the history and it was $9.20 in 2010).

I’ve seen 7.5 weeks (me), 8 weeks and 2 fractional for the price of one. I personally haven’t seen indications of 2.5 for the price of 2 but I could see it happening. Price for your level will likely be similar with an Aruba or St. Kitt’s purchase but it depends on what level you decide and they will do. The more you pay up front the cheaper your dues will be on a per point basis but there’s the up front costs to factor in which can be a lot more. Personally I’d check at least to know your options. I’m guessing mind you but you’re likely looking at a Surf Dlub 2 BR Platinum GV or a 1 BR Ocean Club Platinum week or a higher view Gold week to quality. Since all of your weeks have the potential for lockoff’s and trading (assuming GC is not a 1BR), that’s a potential $300-500 on average per year swing depending on exchange and lockoff volume and could be as much as $1000 a year if you were to lockoff and exchange everything. IF you only lockoff and trade these GC week EOY it’s around $400 every 2 years. But it also gives you options on your other weeks including change/cancelation fee waivers. It’s not likely that is enough to justify enrollment on their own but the benefits add up, as do the cost. Let us know how it goes and what you find out.

Last edited:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Said they are not licensed to sell Aruba weeks to OR residents. That is new to me :unsure:

The rep said buying points will be my best option since they rolled pricing back to launch date. What was the price back then?
But there are other ways to get it done. It’s not about where you live but where you are when you sign that’s the issue. Can you gets mail and notary in a different state? Also, you can contact Aruba directly though I suspect the rules are the same. It’s non uncommon that timeshares aren’t licensed to sell in all states.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m sorry, but if plus points are one time Destination points, the 12,000 (twelve thousand) seems like way more than is usually offered. It’s way out of alignment from offers I’ve read about. I

Yes, I agree.

jimwu921

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can the plus points be rented and transferred to other owners? Or you will have to book for them?

With the 12000 DC point bonus with purchase of 4000 DC points it brings your true cost down to about $28k. Easily rent those 12k points @.60 each.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
The rep said buying points will be my best option since they rolled pricing back to launch date (I checked the history and it was $9.20 in 2010).
And that $9.20 was the rack rate, that they discounted down from there.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
All,

Yes I was offered the 5,500 Trust Points at $9.20 per point. I was offered 16,400 Bonus Points that are useable over a 3 year period.

Interesting to see a little variety in the offers. They are also offering an Aruba 2BR OS for $41K with 4,000 Bonus Points.

Best,

Greg

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
All,

Yes I was offered the 5,500 Trust Points at $9.20 per point. I was offered 16,400 Bonus Points that are useable over a 3 year period.

Interesting to see a little variety in the offers. They are also offering an Aruba 2BR OS for $41K with 4,000 Bonus Points.
Greg, when was your offer?

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
All,

Best,

Greg

So 50k for 5500 DC points w/16,4000 Bonus points or 41k for an OS Aruba unit worth 4075 DC points w/4,000 Bonus Points. MF is .60 for DC points and .47 for Aruba.