• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

*** Official 2023 Vistana Maintenance Fees Thread ***

ccclement250

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Princeville
Has anyone tried to pay MF from the Vistana website since Abound has launched? I'm getting an error message when trying to pull up statements from the Association link on the website. One would think making it easy to pay is one of the things Marriott would want working for sure!!
I am able to pay MF from Vistana's website just now. But what I don't know is 'membership fee' or 'club fee'? Is this required once you opt-in on Abound? Thanks!

jeffm211

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am able to pay MF from Vistana's website just now. But what I don't know is 'membership fee' or 'club fee'? Is this required once you opt-in on Abound? Thanks!
There is no opt-in, only opt-out. My club fee is attached to our WKV invoice where previously the VSN fees were attached to WLR and WDW.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
It is required to be paid if you want to remain in Abound. You can opt out and there should be instructions provided with your paper or PDF maintenance fee bill on how to do that. I really wouldn't recommend opting out though.

KyleReilly

Reaction score
It is required to be paid if you want to remain in Abound. You can opt out and there should be instructions provided with your paper or PDF maintenance fee bill on how to do that. I really wouldn't recommend opting out though.
Reading about the Abound benefits now - It looks like even those who bought resale can use abound if bought before Aug 2022. However, is there any true value? I would assume using my VOI as bought is the best value, followed by Star Options, and Abound last (value-wise)? Is that a fair statement?

Last edited:

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Reading about the Abound benefits now - It looks like even those who bought resale can use abound if bought before Aug 2022. However, is there any true value? I would assume using my VOI as bought is the best value, followed by Star Options, and Abound last (value-wise)? Is that a fair statement?
Value is in the eye of the beholder. I didn’t really buy my resale SVV weeks to use in Orlando, but instead to use as SOs. I elected for Club Points to try out Abound next year and got an exchange that works well for me and didn’t have to be 7 nights. I value the additional flexibility. On the other hand, I won’t be electing my WSJ weeks. YMMV.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
SVR Spa, 2bdrm
Maintenance Fee(s) $ 948.29
Tax - If Applicable $ 78.02
TOTAL $1,026.31

SVR Lakes, 2bdrm
Maintenance Fee(s) $1,048.42
Tax - If Applicable $123.15
TOTAL $1,171.57
With breakdown:
SVR Spa, 2bdrm, Gold+

Operating $ 759.18
Reserves $ 189.11
RE Tax $ 78.02

TOTAL $1,026.31

SVR Lakes, 2bdrm

Operating $ 817.30
Reserves $ 231.12
RE Tax $ 123,15

TOTAL $1,171.57

jeffm211

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried to pay MF from the Vistana website since Abound has launched? I'm getting an error message when trying to pull up statements from the Association link on the website. One would think making it easy to pay is one of the things Marriott would want working for sure!!
Well, 13 days following this initial post, I am still unable to pay MF online. Anyone else experiencing this today?

Priscilla

TUG Member
Reaction score
My Fees for 2 bedroom Bella with 81,000 points just came in $1671.57 due Jan,6. Breakdown is as follows. I posted it in the DB as well. I see a note on the bill indicating that you can opt out of receiving the additional exchange opportunity by paying a fee of $170. I'm guessing this is the Abound program. They always have to make things so complicated one way or the other.

Operating assessment fees- $1040
Replacement Reserves- $273.45
Tax- $123
Owners Dues- $230
ARDA-ROC- $5.

jeffm211

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, 13 days following this initial post, I am still unable to pay MF online. Anyone else experiencing this today?
Finally, the website worked. All 2023 MFs paid today. Hope some of that club fee goes to the IT fund .

Disneypoor

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin ocean resort villas, Maui
Aulani
Bay Lake Tower
Finally, the website worked. All 2023 MFs paid today. Hope some of that club fee goes to the IT fund .
I have been trying all day to pay my 2023 MFs with no luck on the website. I have been on hold for 40 minutes trying to get through with them to pay. I'm beginning to think they don't really want my money. Haha!

Sthack

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been trying all day to pay my 2023 MFs with no luck on the website. I have been on hold for 40 minutes trying to get through with them to pay. I'm beginning to think they don't really want my money. Haha!
I'm having the same issue. I thought that maybe the website had changed but it sounds like it hasn't.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
HRA 2BR Deluxe Phase II (part of 3BR Lockoff)

2023 Vacation Ownership Assessment: $1231.35 (2022: $1089.41) 13.0% increase
2023 Condo Common Assessment: $464.96 (2022: 473.06) 1.7% decrease
2023 VAT: $205.76 (2022: $190.27) 8.1% increase
2023 Atlantis Facilities Fee: $361.24 (2022: $340.15) 6.2% increase

2023 Total: $2263.31 (2022: $2092.89) 8.1% increase

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten

HRA 1 Bedroom Premium - Only ownership for this account
(gold plus season, not that it matters but imagine this MF for only 51,700 SO…OUCH)

8A8E6469-64EA-44E5-A418-14DDAF36B5CA.jpeg

$2,216.11

9598Lee

Reaction score
Hey there! I'm trying to pay for the club fees online and it's been cycling for 8 minutes. Did anyone else have the same issue? if Yes, how long does it take to complete?

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
HRA 1 Bedroom Premium - Only ownership for this account
(gold plus season, not that it matters but imagine this MF for only 51,700 SO…OUCH)

View attachment 70794

$2,216.11

You really should deduct the $230 Club Dues from the total because it's not part of the MFs. It's really $1986.11.

It's obviously still very high, but you made it look like it's as high as the 2BR Deluxe, and it's not quite as high. For perspective, I expect the 1BR Premium Gold to be worth about 2000 points (based on some very educated calculations I ran) so that's $1/point in MFs and won't be attractive on the resale market for someone intending to enroll it. And, as you said, it's also very high on $/SO basis.

With fees of $2000 for large 1BR units and $3600 for 2BR lockoffs, it's getting painful for many owners. We still get good value for the 2BR Deluxe, but those are just a handful of units in Phase 2 that were split from 3BR units and sold separately. Even so, there are a couple of those 2BR Deluxe units in Platinum and Gold seasons offered on RedWeek for free, which is very surprising to me. Those still rent reliably at around $1500 over MFs and therefore I'd expect them to be worth around $6k-$8K (with 4-5 year payback, which is attractive). Could be highly distressed sales from a bad financial situation or inheritance, but if those units have also hit rock bottom, the situation is bad in general. I think the 3BR units in Phase II also still offer decent value given that you can rent the small 1BR side or the 2BR side. But if most owners are feeling the pinch, it's not good for anyone else either. If owners start defaulting, the rest end up footing the bill.

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
You really should deduct the $230 Club Dues from the total because it's not part of the MFs. It's really $1986.11.

It's obviously still very high, but you made it look like it's as high as the 2BR Deluxe, and it's not quite as high. For perspective, I expect the 1BR Premium Gold to be worth about 2000 points (based on some very educated calculations I ran) so that's $1/point in MFs and won't be attractive on the resale market for someone intending to enroll it. And, as you said, it's also very high on $/SO basis.

With fees of $2000 for large 1BR units and $3600 for 2BR lockoffs, it's getting painful for many owners. We still get good value for the 2BR Deluxe, but those are just a handful of units in Phase 2 that were split from 3BR units and sold separately. Even so, there are a couple of those 2BR Deluxe units in Platinum and Gold seasons offered on RedWeek for free, which is very surprising to me. Those still rent reliably at around $1500 over MFs and therefore I'd expect them to be worth around $6k-$8K (with 4-5 year payback, which is attractive). Could be highly distressed sales from a bad financial situation or inheritance, but if those units have also hit rock bottom, the situation is bad in general. I think the 3BR units in Phase II also still offer decent value given that you can rent the small 1BR side or the 2BR side. But if most owners are feeling the pinch, it's not good for anyone else either. If owners start defaulting, the rest end up footing the bill.
I understand what you’re saying with regard to the actual MF vs additional fees, but try telling that to an owner of just one unit. The check they write for their statement each year is all they care about. We are in the minority on understanding maint fees and ownership in general.

People are fed up and most HRA owners are ready to just stop paying. It’s unfortunate that the VAT, higher club dues, and Atlantis fee really bump the total due considerably.

Delinquencies will continue to grow considering many original owners are aging out and their kids don’t want to be bothered with these timeshares.

Yes…. There was a time that the phase 2, 2 bedroom deluxe plat units actually sold for a few thousand. That time wasn’t that long ago. I was surprised to see a few being given away for free.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
I understand what you’re saying with regard to the actual MF vs additional fees, but try telling that to an owner of just one unit. The check they write for their statement each year is all they care about. We are in the minority on understanding maint fees and ownership in general.

People are fed up and most HRA owners are ready to just stop paying. It’s unfortunate that the VAT, higher club dues, and Atlantis fee really bump the total due considerably.

Delinquencies will continue to grow considering many original owners are aging out and their kids don’t want to be bothered with these timeshares.

Yes…. There was a time that the phase 2, 2 bedroom deluxe plat units actually sold for a few thousand. That time wasn’t that long ago. I was surprised to see a few being given away for free.

I don't have a beef with the Atlantis fee ($36/night for the large 1BR). The VAT sucks since it's on top of and double the property tax amount. But I am not sure how the board can claim some of these expenses are reasonable. Looking particularly at the proposed budget line items for the large 1BR, some of the expenses are:
  • The admin expenses just add up... "Administration", "Front Desk", "Management Fee", "Owner Services" that's $228 combined just there.
  • $219 for housekeeping - This is the largest line item by far. They come for 1 tidy and 1 cleaning. Some all-suite mid-range hotels (Residence Inn and such) operate at $150-$200/night suites, but the cost to clean your similar room is $219? VSN used to charge $39 for the extra housekeeping fees, and this is $219?
  • $31 for credit card fee - why do we need to pay that at all when it's their choice to make Atlantis cashless? And what if you charge nothing at all during your stay? Do hotel guests pay that?
  • $96 for bad debt expense - that's about 6% of the total. Does that mean 6% of owners are not paying their MFs at all?
  • $73 for electricity - for a 900 sq ft 1BR unit for 1 week? That's about $320 for 1 month.
These numbers look completely outlandish for the 2BR lockoff units... $420 for housekeeping?

Attachments

• hra.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I am not sure how the board can claim some of these expenses are reasonable. Looking particularly at the proposed budget line items for the large 1BR, some of the expenses are:

• $219 for housekeeping - This is the largest line item by far. They come for 1 tidy and 1 cleaning. Some all-suite mid-range hotels (residence inn and such) operate at $150-$200/night suites, but the cost to clean your similar room is $219? VSN used to charge $39 for the extra housekeeping fees, and this is $219?
  • $31 for credit card fee - why do we need to pay that at all when it's their choice to make Atlantis cashless? And what if you charge nothing at all during your stay? Do hotel guests pay that?
  • $96 for bad debt expense - that's about 6% of the total. Does that mean 6% of owners are not paying their MFs at all?
  • $73 for electricity - for a 900 sq ft 1BR unit for 1 week? That's about $320 for 1 month.
These numbers look completely outlandish for the 2BR lockoff units... $420 for housekeeping?
The HOA board needs to be investigated

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
$31 for credit card fee - why do we need to pay that at all when it's their choice to make Atlantis cashless? And what if you charge nothing at all during your stay? Do hotel guests pay that?
This is to cover credit card processing fees for owners that pay their maintenance fee bill by credit card. The HOA has to cover those merchant fees. Cashless resort really shouldn't have anything to do with that. The merchant fees would be baked into the cost of whatever goods or services you purchase.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras

8.1% increase seems reasonable compare to my WSJ Sunset Bay 28% increase. I agree, we are getting into the stratosphere for MFs. There may be some intention?? Clearly boards aren’t “doing what they can” to keep costs reasonable.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
8.1% increase seems reasonable compare to my WSJ Sunset Bay 28% increase. I agree, we are getting into the stratosphere for MFs. There may be some intention?? Clearly boards aren’t “doing what they can” to keep costs reasonable.
I wonder, does Marriott have any influence on these increaes? Maybe they want to take some WSJ and HRA deeds back for some new reason.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
I wonder, does Marriott have any influence on these increaes? Maybe they want to take some WSJ and HRA deeds back for some new reason.
That absolutely has crossed my mind. It’s probably the easiest way for Marriott to quietly get them back….price owners out of their fees. Simple economics. A week at WSJ is now well over $5,000.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I don't know how much Marriott is involved at HRA, but at the Grande Vista budget meetings, there is a Marriott finance employee in the room during those meeting. Marriott determines the proposed numbers, the BOD reviews them to go out to the owners as part of the Estimated Budget, then they all get back together to finance the numbers. I am sure Marriott can propose just about anything they want. Some items probably get pushboard from the BOD, but others items just skate through. Is HRA managed by Vistana?

I don't see why they would want those units back. THey would then have to carry the MF burden unless they can sell them or get enough control to dissolve the timeshare and convert them to something else. Of the two, only WSJ can be added to the MVC Abound Trust.

timsi

TUG Member
Reaction score
People give HOA too much credit. In addition from being preselected by Vistana, the voting process is in a way that Vistana has an outsized influence on the vote. To make things worse, there is no direct contact with the owners (do you know the email addresses of your board members?) so you can't communicate properly with these who are supposed to represent you. The cherry on the cake is that all their information comes from the manager with no possibility to independently verify it.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
People give HOA too much credit. In addition from being preselected by Vistana, the voting process is in a way that Vistana has an outsized influence on the vote. To make things worse, there is no direct contact with the owners (do you know the email addresses of your board members?) so you can't communicate properly with these who are supposed to represent you. The cherry on the cake is that all their information comes from the manager with no possibility to independently verify it.
Aren’t audits required? Surely there has to be a way to review books and records?