• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Oct. 18: Now that Hawaii is open, it's time for the NEW AND IMPROVED COVID-19 poll and discussion thread.

When do you think Hawaii will re-open with no restrictions/health requirements?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
For those on Maui right now, what is the mask-wearing practice at the Ka'anapali resort beaches? Is everyone wearing a mask laying on their towel? 50%? Nobody?
I think the more relevant question is, are they wearing masks where they interact with others or where they present a risk to others?

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
For those on Maui right now, what is the mask-wearing practice at the Ka'anapali resort beaches? Is everyone wearing a mask laying on their towel? 50%? Nobody?

Are you advocating people should wear their mask when laying on their towel at the pool or beach?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim) NEW: 2 Lawa'i Beach Resort!
I think the more relevant question is: What is the mask law by the beach and pool?

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
I think the more relevant question is: What is the mask law by the beach and pool?
I believe the answer is in here:

My review doesn’t find any exception to the mask use requirements for beach or pool unless the activity would get the mask wet. There is, however, a rather wide loophole: a mask isn’t required when eating or drinking. So if you’re sitting on the beach with a water bottle and sipping....

TSPam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC, Embarc
At Marriott Waiohai they required masks except in the pool and in the water. They specifically said on the way to the pool or washrooms or in public places. Most people walking about were wearing masks but people on chairs by the quiet pool were not. We left there on Wednesday and it seemed like visitors coming the second week of pre-travel testing were maybe less careful then the people the first week. I hope that is not a trend.

we have moved to the big island and are in quarantine now

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
At Marriott Waiohai they required masks except in the pool and in the water. They specifically said on the way to the pool or washrooms or in public places. Most people walking about were wearing masks but people on chairs by the quiet pool were not. We left there on Wednesday and it seemed like visitors coming the second week of pre-travel testing were maybe less careful then the people the first week. I hope that is not a trend.

we have moved to the big island and are in quarantine now
I'm not seeing much mask compliance honestly. 50/50 at best. Not on the beach at all. I'm not surprised based upon my non scientific survey around San Diego. That said there was no communication about the rules either, aside from a statement upon arrival saying that "we are a mask wearing island" or something similar.

Last edited:

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you advocating people should wear their mask when laying on their towel at the pool or beach?

I'm not advocating anything. I don't want to debate what is right or what is wrong. I'm just interested in knowing what is actually going on in Maui and specifically the Ka'anapali area. I would like to read what the current practices are. I prefer to go with the flow and decide whether it is worth booking the airline reservations that I have. I want to hear what people are actually seeing at the resorts in Ka'anapali.

The rules I've seen say you don't need to wear a mask if:

1. At or inside a private residence.
2. Inside a private automobile, provided the only occupants are members of the same household or residence.
3. Inside a hotel, motel, or commercial lodging establishment guest room, or inside any apartment.
4. Of persons who cannot wear a mask or facial covering due to an existing medical condition.
5. Of an individual who is hearing impaired or an individual who is communicating with an individual who is hearing impaired.
6. Where federal or state safety or health regulations prohibit the wearing of facial coverings.
7. Of persons actively engaged in strenuous outdoor physical activity, provided adequate social distancing is both possible and practiced.
8. Of persons swimming or engaged in other activities that may cause the facial covering to become wet.
9. While persons are actively eating, drinking or smoking.
10. While a person is receiving services that require access to that person’s nose or mouth. Businesses or designated operations shall refuse to allow entry to persons not wearing face coverings, unless an exception applies under this section.

I suppose you could argue 8 if you are near the water, but that is subject to debate if you are sitting in the sand. You could also argue 7 if you are walking briskly enough to break a sweat, even if not actually running. However, regardless of rules posted somewhere, my interest is in hearing what is actually happening from those currently there.

PearlCity

TUG Member
Reaction score

wannagotoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
In Kaanapali now. At resort everyone is wearing a mask except those sitting around the pool, elevators limited to one person or members of the same family. A "local" thanked us for wearing a mask, we were walking on the front grass. On the walk from Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas to Whaler's, 95% of people wearing mask. Runners weren't. We hooked the mask to the sun glasses and took it off when noone around, always replaced it when nearing other people. Others seemed to be doing the same.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
In Kaanapali now. At resort everyone is wearing a mask except those sitting around the pool, elevators limited to one person or members of the same family. A "local" thanked us for wearing a mask, we were walking on the front grass. On the walk from Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas to Whaler's, 95% of people wearing mask. Runners weren't. We hooked the mask to the sun glasses and took it off when noone around, always replaced it when nearing other people. Others seemed to be doing the same.
What's open at Whaler's Village? Are restaurants open along the walk?

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
What are people sitting on the beach, near the water doing?

eyedude

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Newport Coast (Platinum Plus and Platinum), Marriott Mountainside (ski week), Marriott Maui Ocean Club Lahaina (week 34,35 and 49,50), DSV 2 (red)
What are people sitting on the beach, near the water doing?

This is from a news article about the mask mandate:

Thinking of getting a tan while sunbathing on Maui this winter? Not without a mask, according to county officials.

Maui County Managing Director Sandy Baz clarified mask rules during a county news conference Monday, saying that masks must be worn while sedentary on the beach or at a pool.
“If you’re laying on a beach, getting a tan, unfortunately you’ll get a nice tan across the middle of your face,” he said. “You won’t need to put sunblock there, just around your eyes.”

Democratic Gov. David Ige on Monday called for citations similar to tickets written for minor traffic infractions, which carry fines but are not treated as criminal offenses, The Hawaii Tribune-Herald reported.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you asking about mask usage?
Yes. I know w what is written and quoted as rules. I would like to know what is actually observed by people actually there on the beaches at the Westin timeshares and in Ka'anapali in general.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes. I know w what is written and quoted as rules. I would like to know what is actually observed by people actually there on the beaches at the Westin timeshares and in Ka'anapali in general.
I was there recently and observed 95% cooperation with mask wearing while walking on boardwalk between Hyatt and Sheraton end, and walking through any property. Walking along th waters edge, perhaps 50%, but it wasn't crowded. As for those sitting on the beach, by the pool, or in the water, I didn't even notice -- and I wasn't wearing mine at waters edge most of the time. And the chairs were spaced widely apart.

wannagotoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
What's open in Whaler's: Monkey Pod still closed but Hula Grill open. Starbucks on end of walkway open Fri, Sat, Sunday. ABC store still closed along with Honolulu cookie comany, coffee store, some retail. Gelato shop opened 2 days ago but Haagen Daz not open yet, Yogurt store had BK filing on front window.They are in the process of opening more. People are good about wearing masks but it seems that the newer the crowd, the less masks are used. Older locals use the mask all the time, not so for the younger adults. Masks not used at pool or down at beach if you are sitting down. When we walked along the beach fewer of the people wearing masks when walking. On walkway, Castaways still closed and Duke's open along with Paiolo (bar at WKORV).

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
The rules I've seen say you don't need to wear a mask if:

1. At or inside a private residence.
2. Inside a private automobile, provided the only occupants are members of the same household or residence.
3. Inside a hotel, motel, or commercial lodging establishment guest room, or inside any apartment.
4. Of persons who cannot wear a mask or facial covering due to an existing medical condition.
5. Of an individual who is hearing impaired or an individual who is communicating with an individual who is hearing impaired.
6. Where federal or state safety or health regulations prohibit the wearing of facial coverings.
7. Of persons actively engaged in strenuous outdoor physical activity, provided adequate social distancing is both possible and practiced.
8. Of persons swimming or engaged in other activities that may cause the facial covering to become wet.
9. While persons are actively eating, drinking or smoking.
10. While a person is receiving services that require access to that person’s nose or mouth. Businesses or designated operations shall refuse to allow entry to persons not wearing face coverings, unless an exception applies under this section.

Below are the new statewide rules put out by Gov. Ige as of Nov. 16, 2020. It seems you are exempted from wearing a mask outdoors if you can keep at all times a physical distance of 6 ft from others not part of the same household/living unit/residence. Strenuous physical activity or getting is not mentioned anymore since the distance requirement outdoor seems to cover that too.
All individuals shall wear face coverings over their noses and mouths when in public settings. The only exceptions to this requirement are:
  1. Individuals with medical conditions or disabilities where the wearing of a face covering may pose a health or safety risk to the individual;
  2. Children under the age of 5;
  3. While working at a desk or work station and not actively engaged with other employees, customers, or visitors, provided that the individual’s desk or workstation is not located in a common or shared area and physical distancing of at least six (6) feet is maintained;
  4. While eating, drinking, smoking, as permitted by applicable law;
  5. Inside private automobiles, provided the only occupants are members of the same household/living unit/residence;
  6. While receiving services allowed under a State or county order, rule, or proclamation that require access to that individual’s nose or mouth;
  7. Where federal or state safety or health regulations, or a financial institution’s policy (based on security concerns), prohibit the wearing of facial coverings;
  8. Individuals who are communicating with the hearing impaired while actively communicating (e.g., signing or lip reading);
  9. First responders (police, fire fighters, lifeguards, etc.) to the extent that wearing face coverings may impair or impede the safety of the first responder in the performance of his/her duty;
  10. While outdoors when physical distance of six (6) feet from other individuals (who are not members of the same household/living unit/residence) can be maintained at all times; and
  11. As specifically allowed by a provision of a State or county COVID-19 related order, rule, or proclamation.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Below are the new statewide rules put out by Gov. Ige as of Nov. 16, 2020. It seems you are exempted from wearing a mask outdoors if you can keep at all times a physical distance of 6 ft from others not part of the same household/living unit/residence. Strenuous physical activity or getting is not mentioned anymore since the distance requirement outdoor seems to cover that too.
All individuals shall wear face coverings over their noses and mouths when in public settings. The only exceptions to this requirement are:
  1. Individuals with medical conditions or disabilities where the wearing of a face covering may pose a health or safety risk to the individual;
  2. Children under the age of 5;
  3. While working at a desk or work station and not actively engaged with other employees, customers, or visitors, provided that the individual’s desk or workstation is not located in a common or shared area and physical distancing of at least six (6) feet is maintained;
  4. While eating, drinking, smoking, as permitted by applicable law;
  5. Inside private automobiles, provided the only occupants are members of the same household/living unit/residence;
  6. While receiving services allowed under a State or county order, rule, or proclamation that require access to that individual’s nose or mouth;
  7. Where federal or state safety or health regulations, or a financial institution’s policy (based on security concerns), prohibit the wearing of facial coverings;
  8. Individuals who are communicating with the hearing impaired while actively communicating (e.g., signing or lip reading);
  9. First responders (police, fire fighters, lifeguards, etc.) to the extent that wearing face coverings may impair or impede the safety of the first responder in the performance of his/her duty;
  10. While outdoors when physical distance of six (6) feet from other individuals (who are not members of the same household/living unit/residence) can be maintained at all times; and
  11. As specifically allowed by a provision of a State or county COVID-19 related order, rule, or proclamation.
I am glad to see it explained clearly. We were unsure of the exact rules so just wore one whenever we were outside - even walking or hiking - unless we were clearly all by ourselves. Masking there was a lot more uncomfortable there between the temps and the humidity. Most everyone that we saw was similarly masked except for some exceptions on the resort grounds. We saw little mask wearing at the grills, on the beach etc. On the beach it didn't bother me (and I only noticed it because I felt like a weirdo wearing a mask since no one else was) but the grill made me uncomfortable since there were a lot of people there. There were people actively grilling plus those who were waiting, and nothing was cleaned between uses - so if someone were to cough into their hand then lift the grill it's not clean for the next user.

We were on an interisland flight where a young woman was passive aggressively not wearing her mask. The flight attendant reminded her nicely a couple of times (she would remove it the minute he turned his back) but eventually he was very stern about her following the airline rules when she started to get belligerent about the rule. Then he pretty much hovered near her for the entire 30 min flight and asked her to keep her mask on. It was interesting to watch - he just wasn't having it.

PearlCity

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am glad to see it explained clearly. We were unsure of the exact rules so just wore one whenever we were outside - even walking or hiking - unless we were clearly all by ourselves. Masking there was a lot more uncomfortable there between the temps and the humidity. Most everyone that we saw was similarly masked except for some exceptions on the resort grounds. We saw little mask wearing at the grills, on the beach etc. On the beach it didn't bother me (and I only noticed it because I felt like a weirdo wearing a mask since no one else was) but the grill made me uncomfortable since there were a lot of people there. There were people actively grilling plus those who were waiting, and nothing was cleaned between uses - so if someone were to cough into their hand then lift the grill it's not clean for the next user.

We were on an interisland flight where a young woman was passive aggressively not wearing her mask. The flight attendant reminded her nicely a couple of times (she would remove it the minute he turned his back) but eventually he was very stern about her following the airline rules when she started to get belligerent about the rule. Then he pretty much hovered near her for the entire 30 min flight and asked her to keep her mask on. It was interesting to watch - he just wasn't having it.
I wondered about how clean the grill area was! When we stayed we avoided the grill on the weekends. Grilled on a Tuesday night or something.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
I wondered about how clean the grill area was! When we stayed we avoided the grill on the weekends. Grilled on a Tuesday night or something.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
I keep a glass of wine in my hands at all times while grilling! Not to avoid a mask... but because one should be drinking wine at all times while grilling.

Status
Not open for further replies.