• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Oct. 18: Now that Hawaii is open, it's time for the NEW AND IMPROVED COVID-19 poll and discussion thread.

When do you think Hawaii will re-open with no restrictions/health requirements?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PearlCity

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was also told you have to wear a mask hat all times you are outside, even sitting at the beach. The only time you can take it off is if you are in the water, or exercising. If you are just walking on the boardwalk and such, you have to wear a mask, even if there are not any people around. They do check at least some of the beaches and issue citations. This information was about Ka'anapali, on Maui.

I was planning a trip in December, but I may decide not to go under these requirements. I don't mind wearing a mask around the common areas, but I'm not sure I want to lay out on the sand, away from everyone, with a mask on. Same for sitting on the lounges around the pool, though I almost never use the pool.

At the Westin resorts, they told me that the person with the missing test results was the one that had to quarantine until the result was received, not the whole party. However, I suppose different people might interpret the requirement differently. I can see where the one person could potentially be infected and therefore the whole group should quarantine together until cleared.
The mask rules are unclear by island. I think there is a push to make mask rules clearer as a state but my understanding is yes masks required everywhere even outside.

As for only person wo missing test needing to quarantine. Im not sure. The rules are so unclear. I have heard of hotels not checking in people at all wo proof of negative test.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
They have no one to be angry with but themselves. The rules are clear about what happens if even one person in a group hasn’t received their test results and/or tests positive. EVERYONE in the group has to quarantine until that person is cleared. If they didn’t check into all the requirements that’s their fault.

I personally think anyone who shows up to check in that throws a fit like PearlCity witnessed should simply be turned away - refused check in period. It is not the resorts fault that someone’s test didn’t come in or came back positive. They don’t have to tolerate abuse by customers that simply didn’t do their research. And who cares if they ever come back? If they act like that you know they’re going to act that way during their stay if the slightest thing doesn’t go their way. Let them walk. There are plenty of decent people who will truly appreciate the people and beauty of Hawaii.

No it didnt seem like it. The party i saw was angry.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
The mask rules are unclear by island. I think there is a push to make mask rules clearer as a state but my understanding is yes masks required everywhere even outside.

As for only person wo missing test needing to quarantine. Im not sure. The rules are so unclear. I have heard of hotels not checking in people at all wo proof of negative test.

I checked again, and this time they told me the whole party has to quarantine at the resort until the test result is received. So far there have been a few instances, but the result usually comes in within a day or so.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was also told you have to wear a mask hat all times you are outside, even sitting at the beach. The only time you can take it off is if you are in the water, or exercising. If you are just walking on the boardwalk and such, you have to wear a mask, even if there are not any people around. They do check at least some of the beaches and issue citations. This information was about Ka'anapali, on Maui.
My experience in San Diego is that people on vacation take vacations from their masks even though our state rule is that you need to wear one when out in public. When we go walking we don't even bother going to beaches where the tourists go because it's close quarters (especially on the boardwalks) and there are a lot of non-mask wearers. It's a very uncomfortable situation for residents as we are the ones who will suffer after all with shutting down businesses, schools etc long after the tourists have gone home since we are on a tiered system that shuts down various businesses when we reach certain levels of infection. That said I think that our college students cause the most problems, not visitors.

We are grateful to have the opportunity to travel and whatever Hawaii wants us visitors to do, we will do.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes. I was checking in at MKO yesterday. It took and hour and a half the line was long! I realized why - because there were parties in this situation and was being given 1 time use keys to stay in their rooms until they could get out of Quarantine. Of course that party i saw was furious and made a huge fuss. But those are the rules right now. I saw one lady complain asking how she is going to eat if she cant leave her room (Grubhub and instacart unfortunately) i felt bad for the employee as she was getting yelled at.

There are quite a few posts on Tripadvisor about visitors who have had issues with testing (results nor received before departure, then needing a manual review by someone on Hawaii and that step taking 4 days). Folks over there are saying don't get on the plane without test results. It's not worth it.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
... whatever Hawaii wants us visitors to do, we will do.

I agree. Not all locals want visitors just yet, though. Maybe I'll just wait until the rules loosen up a bit. We have been going every year, sometimes more than once a year for a long time.

I have heard they do patrol some of the beaches on Maui. Penalties are pretty stiff, up to $5,000. I don't know how strict they are at the Ka'anapali beaches.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
They have no one to be angry with but themselves. The rules are clear about what happens if even one person in a group hasn’t received their test results and/or tests positive. EVERYONE in the group has to quarantine until that person is cleared. If they didn’t check into all the requirements that’s their fault.

I personally think anyone who shows up to check in that throws a fit like PearlCity witnessed should simply be turned away - refused check in period. It is not the resorts fault that someone’s test didn’t come in or came back positive. They don’t have to tolerate abuse by customers that simply didn’t do their research. And who cares if they ever come back? If they act like that you know they’re going to act that way during their stay if the slightest thing doesn’t go their way. Let them walk. There are plenty of decent people who will truly appreciate the people and beauty of Hawaii.

I agree with what your saying here about them checking and following the requirements; we certainly would have. I also agree that all would have to quarantine if they are in the same unit and/or came in the same car/cab to get to the accomodations. However, it would be interesting to find out why one person in the group didn't have the test results. Did they test at the same time or separately? I would hope that this was the cause of the problem and not that the testing agency just didn't produce the results on a timely basis together.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I hope people can go back to work on the islands. According to our friends who live on Oahu and moving to Maui, unemployment numbers are high and are catastrophic for families. Tourism is so important to the economy.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
Lanai is undergoing an outbreak after zero cases all this time https://www.mauinews.com/news/local-news/2020/10/lanai-covid-19-total-tops-60-cases/

It appears that Lanai will ask all visitors to leave by Monday. Not sure of where they will go and if they will be retested to make sure that they did not get infected from the outbreak on the island. As far as I know, only Four Seasons is open so possibly they will move them to another Four Seasons Resort within the state. Nothing published my Maui County so still in flux.

PearlCity

TUG Member
Reaction score
It appears that Lanai will ask all visitors to leave by Monday. Not sure of where they will go and if they will be retested to make sure that they did not get infected from the outbreak on the island. As far as I know, only Four Seasons is open so possibly they will move them to another Four Seasons Resort within the state. Nothing published my Maui County so still in flux.
Are there any other four seasons open? Ko olina is still shut.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
Nope. Checked their website and not reopening until Nov 20th.

Unless the visitors want to quarantine, it looks as if they may be heading home by Monday.

PearlCity

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with what your saying here about them checking and following the requirements; we certainly would have. I also agree that all would have to quarantine if they are in the same unit and/or came in the same car/cab to get to the accomodations. However, it would be interesting to find out why one person in the group didn't have the test results. Did they test at the same time or separately? I would hope that this was the cause of the problem and not that the testing agency just didn't produce the results on a timely basis together.
I found this article online. It seems that there are instances where and entire party can go to a company and test but not everyone will get their results at the same time. https://www.kitv.com/story/42813554...ne-due-to-delays-in-pretravel-testing-results

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
I found this article online. It seems that there are instances where and entire party can go to a company and test but not everyone will get their results at the same time. https://www.kitv.com/story/42813554...ne-due-to-delays-in-pretravel-testing-results

While the article certainly points out delays in getting results and that you need to get your results and post them on the Hawaii website before you get on the plane, it doesn't specify if both Sisters got their tests done at the same time at the same locale.

In summary, the testing before you go system seems to have some problems with delayed results that need to be worked out and providing the results after you arrive seems to be a disaster as far as a smooth enjoyable vacation.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club

We sometimes think of “testing” as this simple process where some person gets a tube, runs the test, and sends back the results. But that’s not how it works. The lab is receiving thousands of specimens to test and track every hour (I don’t recall the numbers, but when I litigated a case against Quest I learned of the staggering number of samples that they process every hour, somewhere on the order of 100,000/hour in a single lab facility). Every sample must be marked and tracked and handled very, very, carefully. Machines have to run. Results checked for validity and logged. There is a massive infrastructure in the labs to handle all the specimens they receive (remember, they get a lot more than just COVID samples in the lab).

The point is, the specimens of a family don’t get rubber banded together and go through the system together. They get sent into the lab along with blood tests, Pap smears, skin biopsies, urine samples, etc., and individually processed. All kinds of things can happen once in the lab. Tests have to be repeated because a result is inconclusive, for instance. Or one person works faster than another In the lab.

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting that the article says her husband and sister are free from the 14 day quarantine, because the rules state if anyone in a party is quarantined, then the whole group is to be quarantined. Is Ko’Olina relaxing the rules for people in this situation? And if so, how are officials going to deal with that? Either there’s a system in place to protect their islands or there isn’t. They have to make sure the rules are being enforced but I’m not sure how they really can.

I know of one other instance where it appears a hotel looked the other way in regards to quarantine. A couple came to Oahu on Oct 13th -two days before the new rules tooK effect. They had taken a Covid test before they came and had their negative results. They quarantined for only the first two days and then the hotel told them to go have fun. WTH? I was really surprised by that.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess there could be some differing opinions on what a "party" is. If my wife and I travel with our adult child and their spouse, and we have a separate room from them, are we one party or two parties? I can see one couple being quarantined, but not the other if one of the four persons doesn't have the test results.

PearlCity

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting that the article says her husband and sister are free from the 14 day quarantine, because the rules state if anyone in a party is quarantined, then the whole group is to be quarantined. Is Ko’Olina relaxing the rules for people in this situation? And if so, how are officials going to deal with that? Either there’s a system in place to protect their islands or there isn’t. They have to make sure the rules are being enforced but I’m not sure how they really can.

I know of one other instance where it appears a hotel looked the other way in regards to quarantine. A couple came to Oahu on Oct 13th -two days before the new rules tooK effect. They had taken a Covid test before they came and had their negative results. They quarantined for only the first two days and then the hotel told them to go have fun. WTH? I was really surprised by that.
I think this is the biggest frustration locals have with the situation and the lack of procedures and information what is and isn't allowed. being provided by the state. Its frustrating. I think we will find out more over the next couple of weeks. What I fear more now is the reports of locals gathering under the "if the tourists come and we're gonna spike anyway i might as well enjoy myself now" attitude and spread it. I also saw a lot of locals gathering at Ko olina this weekend which troubled me. I saw a group of 30 or so at lagoon 4 with what appeared to be a church gathering from what I could hear by the conversation passing by and i saw quite a few unmasked locals on property in groups of larger than 5 (trust me it was worse the 1st week of oct on property-i took my family to paradise cove over the weekend).

Sorry i couldn't meet up yesterday! The pools were getting crowded and we decided to leave. We did see quite a few turtles at the Cove yesterday and my son enjoyed some fishing (catch and release)..

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think this is the biggest frustration locals have with the situation and the lack of procedures and information what is and isn't allowed. being provided by the state. Its frustrating. I think we will find out more over the next couple of weeks. What I fear more now is the reports of locals gathering under the "if the tourists come and we're gonna spike anyway i might as well enjoy myself now" attitude and spread it. I also saw a lot of locals gathering at Ko olina this weekend which troubled me. I saw a group of 30 or so at lagoon 4 with what appeared to be a church gathering from what I could hear by the conversation passing by and i saw quite a few unmasked locals on property in groups of larger than 5 (trust me it was worse the 1st week of oct on property-i took my family to paradise cove over the weekend).

Sorry i couldn't meet up yesterday! The pools were getting crowded and we decided to leave. We did see quite a few turtles at the Cove yesterday and my son enjoyed some fishing (catch and release)..

I think that there is so much pent up frustration at this point that some of this is absolutely inevitable. It's not good for suppressing the spread but not surprising to see it happen either. Everyone is just up in everyone else's business that it's a bit of a powder keg these days. I have no idea how this can be controlled at this point. I just hope that we can seriously socially distance, and if it takes floating in the lagoons for hours then so be it, lol.

We haven't seen our in laws since February, and I just canceled both Thanksgiving and Christmas at our house for my extended family. I sent an email on Saturday to my family members and only received one terse reply. They are good with getting together, I am not (mostly because I know that they still aren't worried about transmission ;) ). Since I always host the holidays I have upset the apple cart. Oh well. Their turn to do all of the work, lol.

PearlCity

TUG Member
Reaction score

Im a little concerned that the article said passenger information collected if contact tracing is required. Wouldn't they want to contact trace as a precaution?

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I want to report that my dear granddaughter and her fiance arrived Maui Sunday night. They had all of their ducks in a row, both on paper and electronically. She texted at me at 9:05 pm when they landed. Next text, at 9:30 said "Got bags, headed to rental car shuttle." Amazing!

stslc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside, MOC Sequel
I want to report that my dear granddaughter and her fiance arrived Maui Sunday night. They had all of their ducks in a row, both on paper and electronically. She texted at me at 9:05 pm when they landed. Next text, at 9:30 said "Got bags, headed to rental car shuttle." Amazing!
Following the directions to a T is the Key. Every post I've seen here and on Social Media where people were sent home or to quarantine had one or more elements missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.