• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ocean front 2 bed room Kaui Beach Villas listed for sale

tombo

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ocean front 2 bed room Kaui Beach Villas listed for sale[2008] 1-bd. also discussed

This is listed as a G building which is one of only 2 true oceanfront units at this resort. You can't reserve a week in Blgs G or H (the 2 oceanfront bldgs) unless you own a week in Bldg G or H. I sold a 2 bed room G bldg for a good price in March when air fares started going up. I have actually stayed in unit G-12 which is 3rd floor. In Februaury we watched whales breach every morning from our private lanai while we ate breakfast. We also saw several sea turtles and watched several different pods of spinner dolphins leap numerous times on different occasions. Both bed rooms have private lanais looking at the ponds and gardens that run through the resort.

I would buy this week if I hadn't promised my wife that I wouldn't buy anymore timeshares which you have to fly to. I wouldn't rather own anywhere on Kauai than at Kauai Beach Villas in Bldg G or H. Yes, maybe Shearwater has a better view from on top of the cliffs, but the view from this lanai is spectacular and you can walk forever on the beach in front of this resort. There is a great swimming area about 100 yds to your left as you face the ocean. If air fares hadn't gone sky high I would never have sold my G bldg week at Kauai Beach Villas. I am holding strong and not buying this week even though I miss this resort and Bldg. I have watched E-bay auctions for months since I sold my week, and this is the first 2 bed room in bldg G I have seen for sale. It is floating weeks 1-52 on even years only. Good luck if any are interested. Let me know if someone from Tug snags this week.

Tom

http://cgi.ebay.com/2BR-Wyndham-HAW...hZ006QQcategoryZ15897QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

And a 1 bed room 2 bath ocean front in bldg G for sale:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wyndham-HAWAII-...39:1|66:2|65:10|240:1309&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Last edited by a moderator:

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pahio Kauai Beach Villas, Pahio Shearwater
Aloha,
KBV unit G5 was one of the last if not the very last unit in the complex to be converted into Pahio timeshare. There is a typo in my data, so I cannot be sure if it was recorded in Jan 04 or Jan 05. The purchase and escrow instructions were revised mid 2005 to include ROFR. I have no idea when the developer actually sold and recorded this particular ICN. There is a non negligible chance they have a valid claim of ROFR.
Just a heads up for fellow tuggers.
Jack

Cathyb

TUG Member
Reaction score
tombo: Maintenance fees $1100+ -- are they really that high?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
tombo: Maintenance fees $1100+ -- are they really that high?

For a 2-bdm. in Hawaii on the beach that doesn't seem high to me. Cathy - what is your MF at the Whaler & Pono Kai?

tombo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think they are that high. I don't own there anymore so I didn't receive a 2009 bill, but it was close to that in 2008. Hawaii MF's are high at all resorts. Marriott's Kauai Beach Villas have 1 bed room 2008 MF's of $1665.97, and their 2 bed room is $1832.57. Both the one bed room and 2 bed room units were over $2000 in MF's in 2007 at the Marriott due to assessments. The Pahio KBV has 1400 square feet of space, which is a huge timeshare anywhere, but especially large in Hawaii. For a beachfront 2 bed room in Kauai, I think that is a reasonable MF.

I loved staying here but I don't own here anymore because of the high costs on the island and because of high air fares. Labor, insurance ,utilities, everything is higher in Hawaii than it is on the mainland. If you want to stay in paradise, it will cost you.

I posted this for those who are still going to go to Hawaii regularly in spite of the expenses associated with travel to the islands. If I still planned on traveling to Kauai often, I would NEVER have sold my 2 bed room in bldg G.

Last edited:

slabeaume

Reaction score
I sure am tempted to try and sell one of my other 2 bedroom units and pick up the ocean view! But the way the economy is right now, I figure it'll be more hassle then it's worth. I hope we don't have to give up going to Kauai, but it sure is getting expensive. When we got our first unit at KBV, the one bedroom maintenance fee was about $480. They've doubled since then (about 10 years ago).

cdn_traveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, KBV, Raintree
Got it!

Thank you for the heads up Tom. We just won the 2 bedroom listing on Ebay. :banana: We have been keeping an eye out for KBV oceanfront for awhile but missed out on the last one that was in building H last month. Thanks to you, we did not miss out this time.

We have never been to Kauai before, but from reading the TUG reviews, I know that we are going to love it.

Did we do okay? Our winning bid was $720 and with closing costs, it will be almost $1500.

Susan

tombo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Six months ago I would have thought that you stold that week if you had purchased it for $2000 or less. $720, wow that was a deal. I was hoping someone from TUG would get that week. I am so glad I stuck to my guns and didn't even watch the bidding until it was over because I promised my wife that I wouldn't buy it, but I would have been so tempted. The rooms are big and you have 3 lanais (one ocean front off of the den and one overlooking the ponds off of each bed room).

Kauai is my favorite Island by far with Maui coming in second.The natural beauty and plant life is the best I have ever seen. Kaui Beach Villas is centally located, so it is easy to visit the north or south sides of the island without too mch driving.

You got this week so cheap that they are probably going to try and bluff you with ROFR that they don't have. Several here can tell you how to stop them if they try it. If they say they are ROFR'ing your week, post a how to stop them question on the Hawaii forum and some who have successfully beat their imaginary ROFR will walk you through how to keep your week ( I didn't have that problem when I purchased, but many have).

Once again congratulations! If you can plan your trips in advance, make your 2010 reservations 1 year ahead to the day and you can get any week you want and any unit you want (unless someone dials faster than you). I like 3rd floor units for the best view so I always tried to get a 3rd floor unit. The G-12 unit on your deed is a great unit I stayed in this February for my last trip to KBV. I will miss it and I know you will love it.The only bad news is that you have to wait until 2010 to use your week. The good news is that you won't owe any MF's until 2010. :banana:

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
We just won the 2 bedroom listing on Ebay. :banana:
Susan

Congrats, Susan! That's a fantastic price! I was watching the auction, waiting to see where the price ended, and who would get it. Glad to see a Tugger got it! I own 2 units at KBV, (an ocean view and a lagoon view, both one bedroom two bath units), and just like the others, I was tempted to bid. But what I own is good enough - in November I'll be staying in G5, right near the unit you bought. Same view, so it'll be great!

As Tombo mentions PAHIO may try to exercise their claim to ROFR on the unit. I was one of those who successfully fought them when I bought my ocean view unit on eBay last Fall for only $279. I have some lessons learned I'll be happy to share with you, including the name and contact info for the person who handles ROFR at PAHIO. She's actually a very nice person who is quite reasonable, once they understand how much you want to own the week. Others here will have information for you, too.

For any others who are wanting to buy an ocean view at KBV, the one bedroom two bath unit mentioned in the OP is still on auction for another 22 hours or so, and nobody has bid on it yet. Auction number is 160288527164. See if you can beat my $279 purchase price. ;)

Dave

cdn_traveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, KBV, Raintree
Couldn't resist....

Hi Tom and Dave! :hi:

Dave, that is a great deal! Was that for EY? And that was quite a challenge you put out there, so...I just couldn't resist:D.

I thought about it, and I somehow managed to talk DH into allowing me to bid on the other one. Lo and behold, we are stuck with another:eek: :rofl: . I think the pictures that DeniseM had posted from her trip there might have swayed him just a teeny weensy bit. We are both looking forward to visiting KBV and Kauai. I have no doubt that we will love it as much or even more than we love Maui.

I hope that they will not try to pull ROFR on us, but I know where I will come to for help if they do.

Thank you in advance TUGgers!
Susan

tombo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Susan, that has got to be the record low price for an ocean front 1 bed room 2 bath. If Dave's was an every year unit then he can still claim the rights to lowest every year ocean front. If not it looks like we have a new champion.

What a difference 6 months makes. You would have been kidding yourself if you had tried to buy a one bed room 2 bath bldg G for less than $1200 to $1500 this time last year. How could you go wrong for $102? Once you stay here ocean front, any other location (even in a more luxurious resort) will leave you missing that view from the lanai.I wouldn't trade that location for any ocean view or garden view at any resort on Kauai. I would wake up every day and eat breakfast looking at the ocean, and the last thing I did at night was walk out on the lanai to listen to the waves before I went to sleep.

If you know when you want to go in 2009, go ahead and get the seller to reserve the week and unit you want as quickly as you can. Many prime weeks prior to October 2009 will have been booked. Of course no one can try and book Thanksgiving or Christmas 2009 until 12 months in advance. Most sellers will reserve the week for you even before the paperwork is near completed once you have paid your money into escrow.

Enjoy your new week, and please let me know how you liked everything when you get back.

Tom

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pahio Kauai Beach Villas, Pahio Shearwater
... What a difference 6 months makes. You would have been kidding yourself if you had tried to buy a one bed room 2 bath bldg G for less than $1200 to $1500 this time last year. How could you go wrong for $102?...
Aloha,
That beats the $654 we won an -OD 1 bed 2 bath ocean front (ebay auction 120116020806 - closed 5/20/07).
I guess we overpaid $552 :) (but our closing costs were lower and we got a weeks deposit - probably a cancellation based on its trade power - for 1/2 MFs)
Congratulations to Susan. Please keep us posted on any ROFR issues that come up. When you get the papers, please let us know when the previous deed was recorded.
Mahalo,
Jack

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Susan, that has got to be the record low price for an ocean front 1 bed room 2 bath. If Dave's was an every year unit then he can still claim the rights to lowest every year ocean front. If not it looks like we have a new champion.

Tom, my $279 purchase price was for even year use, not every year. Susan wins, for sure. And I'm happy to pass on the crown. She deserves it!

Wait till Denise hears about this. She'll freak. :)

Dave

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
OK - this is the deal - you are all really blowing it! We don't want everyone else to know about OUR resort! Geez? Do I have to spell it out? :annoyed:

OK - here's the party line:
The PKBV is a horrible place and no one should buy there - you won't like it!
The swimming pool is the worst I've ever seen! (Sad but true!)
The fish pee in the ocean.
The beach is too sandy.
The ocean is too salty.
The couches are covered in a tropical print.
Men in Speedos stalk the beach.
The ocean makes too much noise at night.
The ducks poop on the lawn.
There are no elevators.
There is too much rum in the Mai Tais at the Hilton.
Stay home!

There will be a test...

Last edited:

tombo

TUG Member
Reaction score
More bad news. After a couple of the Hilton's Mai Tais I pee in the ocean too. :D

THe good news is that thanks to my wife the horror of me in a speedo will never be unleashed on the beachgoing public! :whoopie:

Stefa

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK - this is the deal - you are all really blowing it! We don't want everyone else to know about OUR resort! Geez? Do I have to spell it out?

LOL, Denise

We started looking into this resort after YOU let the cat out of the bag with those wonderful pictures, however, we have decided to wait because of the high MFs. One thing I noticed is that there isn't much of a market for the non-OV/OF units. I know KBV trades well, but I would be nervous about purchasing a resort with high MFs and many units that have little to no value.

I'm 100% serious, but feel free to add this to your party line. :)

cdn_traveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, KBV, Raintree
Actually, going back and inspecting those pictures a little bit more closely, I conclude those have all been photo-shopped extensively. The beach at KBV and the ocean views have been grossly exaggerated. I'm not sure what Denise's MO was, but that was not a very nice thing to do. :bawl:

So, instead of going through all the hassle of waiting to see if they will exercise ROFR, I'm just going to take the initiative and be a non-paying buyer. :p

Thanks for the reminder about those exorbitantly high MF's Stefa. Couldn't imagine having to pay for those every year until perpetuity. Geez, what was I thinking?

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
cdn_traveler,

I actually inquired of the seller whether this sale was subject to ROFR. They replied that it was not, and incredibly I kept the e-mail. So if you have any trouble, let me know and I'll send it to you.

The pertinent part: Thank you for the interest in my auction. Due to our unique relationship with Wyndham, our sales do not have to go through the right of first refusal process.

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
LOL, Denise

We started looking into this resort after YOU let the cat out of the bag with those wonderful pictures, however, we have decided to wait because of the high MFs. One thing I noticed is that there isn't much of a market for the non-OV/OF units. I know KBV trades well, but I would be nervous about purchasing a resort with high MFs and many units that have little to no value.

Stefa, as has been pointed out previously, MFs in Hawaii run high no matter where the resort is located, or the unit within the resort. To my mind, the MF cost needs to be factored in as either the nightly cost of the week at the resort (compared to a hotel room), or the cost of a week received through exchanging. (And compared to a lot of mainland timeshares, the MFs aren't really all that much higher.)

If the purchase price is low enough, then the only real ongoing investment is those maintenance fees. If those MFs can be factored into the cost of staying at the resort, then it's a worthwhile investment. As I understand things, it's a lot easier trading out of Hawaii than it is to trade in. (I can't speak to that, since all four timeshares I own are in Hawaii.)

In the case of my one bedroom, two bath unit at KBV, the current MF is $883 paid every other year. That breaks down to $126 a night for the week. I've paid a whole lot more than that for hotel rooms and received a whole lot less. Considering the resort has an unobstructed oceanfront location, a lagoon view or garden view unit is still really close to the ocean, where it's an easy couple of minutes' walk to be standing in the surf.

So don't write off KBV units that aren't oceanview as having no value. Sure, the OF units are the prime units, but the others aren't bad either. And dollar-for-dollar, I think owning timeshares in Hawaii is a great value.

Dave

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Actually, going back and inspecting those pictures a little bit more closely, I conclude those have all been photo-shopped extensively. The beach at KBV and the ocean views have been grossly exaggerated. I'm not sure what Denise's MO was, but that was not a very nice thing to do. :bawl:

Actually, they aren't even my pictures. I borrowed them from someone's trip report from their vacation on Aruba.... ;)

Stefa - I don't think the MF is high for a resort on the beach in Hawaii. Are you worried about resale value, exchange value, or the financial stability of the resort?

tombo

TUG Member
Reaction score
LOL, Denise

I had to stay 2 extra nights to get seats using my frequent flyer miles in February 2008, so I stayed next door at the Hilton Kauai Beach Resort. I was in a very small motel room for those 2 nights with no view of the ocean or pool (mountain view) and my bill with taxes for 2 nights was close to $450 (about $225 a night). You would pay about $1750 for a week in a motel room next door. In contrast I was in a 1400 square foot ocean front 2 bed room 2 bath at the Kauai Beach Villas for about $1100 for the week ( about $160 a night) which had washer dryer, 2 full baths, 3 private balconies, a full kitchen,a den and an unobstructed view of the ocean. A one bed room 2 bath with annual MF's of about $900 translates to about $126 a night for a bed room, den, 2 baths, a kitchen (which saves us a lot of money), washer dryer, private balcony with full ocean view versus about $1750 a week (almost double the MF's) for a motel room, 1 bath, no den, no kitchen, no balcony, no ocean view, and no washer dryer. It is not even a close decision on which is a better choice luxury wise, location wise, or price wise IMO.

With 2 kids in college the travel expenses to Kauai simply got too high on everything (air fare increases mainly) for us to easily afford the trips any more. It was a financial decision we made to travel mainly within driving distance of our home to vacation until air fares fall. I will miss Kauai a lot and if air fares drop after our kids get out of college, I wil buy again at Kauai Beach Villas in an ocean front unit.

Last edited:

slomac

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Ridge Tahoe x2

Grand Pacific Palisades

Marriott Shadow Ridge

SDO

Kauai Beach Villas
How to know which are Ocean Front

I think after researching this I want to try and buy one of the 2 bedroom ocean front units. My questions are:

-How do you know if the unit is one of the OF unit? Is it just G and H buildings.

-How far out do you need to make reservations? at least what is your experience.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
-How far out do you need to make reservations? at least what is your experience.

Since the whole point of buying here is to get the best ocean view, you can and should make your reservation at 12 mos. out.