• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ocean front 2 bed room Kaui Beach Villas listed for sale

travelnut

TUG Member
Reaction score
KBV vs Pono Kai

Our first timeshare is a 1 Br, 1.5 bath lagoon view at KBV. The day after buying from the developer :(, I bought a 1Br at Pono Kai thru an ad in Sunset magazine for less than 1/3 the price (a fairly good deal at the time. I handled the paperwork myself so the closing costs were negligible.) (The developer offered us 2 weeks elsewhere for every one of 5 or 7 years we didn't use the week. This seemed like a good deal, however, we never had time to make good on this offer and we really wanted to go to Kauai, so I bought the second ts at Pono Kai with less than 24 hours of ts-ing experience and have never regretted it.

We have never stayed at KBV, altho we let my stepson & family use it last year. The MFs are much higher than Pono Kai (they own the land outright) and surprisingly, Pono Kai has a higher trade value.

A few comments to support Diane's (tongue in cheeek) assessment of KBV:

The tiny pool at KBV was to be rebuilt, and I haven't seen the new one. The few BBQ grills were at the pool. Pono Kai has a large pool, several BBQs available to each building, some with picnic tables, and the units are larger. There are 4 oceanfront units, but they are set far apart and the next row is staggered, so they are essentially ocanfront as well. Last month we traded into an oceanfront unit. Standing on the lanai from the 3rd floor was almost like being right over the ocean.

Ocean swimming is possible at Pono Kai altho there is a possibility of a rip current at times. I know someone who swims here regularly; I have never done so as I never go in the water alone or if there is no-one else on the beach. However, contrary to what a previous poster said, I have always been told that swimming in the ocean at KBV is not recommended, downright dangerous, and I have heard of drownings there.

Pono Kai also has a much better welcoming event with a slough of 2-fers raffled off (the best of any timeshare I've ever been to.) KBV gave out little gift bags with pens, writing pads, etc. Lawai Beach had 3/4 2-fers raffled off.

The grounds at Pono Kai are spacious and lovely. There is miniature golf, croquet, volleyball, tennis, fitness room, koi pond with orchids and waterfall, and an herb garden to add spice to your meals. We like being right at the edge of Kapaa, so we can walk everywhere. They have installed new bike racks for those biking the trail that leads to the Coconut Grove. Bikes are for rent in Kapaa, a few blocks away (about $10/day.)

Avoid the K building at Pono Kai - it is nearest to the Kuhio Hwy, so gets lots of early morning rush hour traffic noise. If they have installed double pane windows here as in our oceanfront unit, that will help a lot with the noise. However, these are studio units that don't have full kitchens. Be careful if you're trading in.

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pahio Kauai Beach Villas, Pahio Shearwater
... The few BBQ grills were at the pool. ... However, contrary to what a previous poster said, I have always been told that swimming in the ocean at KBV is not recommended, downright dangerous, and I have heard of drownings there. ....
Aloha,
I am obviously partial to KBV but I have no reason to knock other resorts. There are nine (9) barbeques scattered about KBV. Most are not at the pool. The beach just north of the canal adjacent to KBV is swimmable sometimes (clearly not always and certainly less frequently than Pono Kai). Drownings have occurred there. The snorkeling is worthless until you get more than a hundred yards out but the currents out there can be too strong for the occasional swimmer to cope with. An exchanger visiting for just one week should count on it not being available for swimming and then being very pleasantly surprised if it is. Except on weekends when a lot of locals are there, you will almost be alone.
(for a visual, check DeniseM's post 59 in this thread captioned "Swimmable beach just a few steps down the beach. There is a very clean stream and lagoon on the left side of the resort that you can see at the bottom of the picture") Notice the height of the surf and the number of people.
Jack

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
When you discuss timeshares, it's interesting how something that's a positive for one person, is a negative for others.

Unlike many people I actually like Kapa'a and we eat dinner there a lot and do most of our shopping there, but I like KBV because it's not in Kapa'a, or near anything else, except the Hilton. I agree with Jack - we hit the beach at KBV nearly every day, but we were careful about swimming. On calm days it was fine, on high surf days we didn't go in over our heads. There can be a strong current there. It was not calm enough for snorkeling for me - although there is a finger of rocky lava flow under the water there that looks like it could be interesting snorkeling. For children, I would let them play at the end of the stream/lagoon where it empties into the ocean. Since it's mixed with salt water, Lepto is probably not a concern.

We absolutely love the quiet, nearly deserted beach there. We are not the Waikiki or Ka'anapali beach types. I am so happy that the new bike path is not going to be routed through the resort!

This week I was talking timeshare with someone at AAA and she was gushing about Ko'Olina, which is a lovely resort, but she was all excited because with the addition of the DVC resort, she thought it would eventually be just like Waikiki, with all the shopping and restaurants!

Now to me, the idea that something is going to turn into another Waikiki is a horrifying thought! :eek:

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I think these last few posts highlight why timesharing has such a diverse group of participants. Some love the big city and all the lights and noise, others want quiet getaways off the beaten track. One man's pleasure is another man's poison.

I own one of those amazing oceanfront units at KBV, and I couldn't be happier. It's not overly fancy, and it's not over-priced. It is exactly what it is. Look at Denise's pictures - I've had the pleasure of staying in that same unit. For being Hawaii, soaking up that view and that empty beach is priceless in my book. To my mind, this is what timesharing was supposed to be about.

Dave

Stefa

TUG Member
Reaction score
I posted earlier in this thread that we were interested in purchasing EOY at KBV but were concerned about its future viability. Any thoughts on this? The pictures look absolutely lovely, but I'm still concerned that someone was essentially paying to unload one of the best units at the resort. What about the less desirable units such as the GV and LV? Are those of you who own there worried that some owners may just stop paying their fees since it appears they may have a hard time getting rid of their timeshare if they can no longer afford to keep it?

Thanks

sailingman22

TUG Member
Reaction score
It was mentioned that a person had to purchase an oceanfront unit at KBV in order to reserve oceanfront. Does anyone know of any other resorts or property management companies in Hawaii that list this requirement?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
It was mentioned that a person had to purchase an oceanfront unit at KBV in order to reserve oceanfront. Does anyone know of any other resorts or property management companies in Hawaii that list this requirement?

Nearly all of them - you have to buy ocean front to reserve ocean front at most timeshares.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I posted earlier in this thread that we were interested in purchasing EOY at KBV but were concerned about its future viability. Any thoughts on this? The pictures look absolutely lovely, but I'm still concerned that someone was essentially paying to unload one of the best units at the resort. What about the less desirable units such as the GV and LV? Are those of you who own there worried that some owners may just stop paying their fees since it appears they may have a hard time getting rid of their timeshare if they can no longer afford to keep it?

Thanks

Since KBV is owned by Wyndham now, a huge company, I wouldn't be concerned about that at all. If owners stop paying their maintenance fees, they get turned over to collections - and Wyndham has the resources to pursue payment or forclose. Nearly all Hawaii timeshares have more desirable and less desirable areas within the resort. That's not unusual. So I don't think there is any reason to be more worried about KBV than any other resort. In fact, since they are part of Wyndham, they should be far more financially stable than when they we just in the small Pahio group.

If you look at ebay, resorts are being unloaded everywhere. It's the state of the economy. There are pages and pages of timeshares listed for $1.

Last edited:

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think after researching this I want to try and buy one of the 2 bedroom ocean front units. My questions are:

-How do you know if the unit is one of the OF unit? Is it just G and H buildings.

-How far out do you need to make reservations? at least what is your experience.

Here is a layout of the resort.
http://www.beachvillaskauai.com/kbv_map2.html

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Stefa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Denise. We may start keeping an eye out for that EOY...

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Here's a new auction for an oceanfront at KBV:

Ebay auction 300281123106.

The details listed in the auction are slightly incorrect. The swimming pool picture is of the Hilton pool next door. The interior shot is a 2br unit, I think. There is no separate laundry room - it's in a closet right near the front door. And I think the MFs reported are incorrect, too.

But here's what IS important: F3 is a 1br 2ba unit, not a 1/1 as reported. I asked the seller what the ICN is on the unit, and they said it is F3-34-EO. That confirms it's an oceanview unit.

I'm not bidding on it. And hopefully, DeniseM finally owns enough of them now, so maybe she'll give someone else a chance... ;)

Hope a Tugger gets it! Let us know!

Dave

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You can't just go by the map, because all the units in F, G, & H are NOT ocean front. You need to look at the ICN numbers on the list that Jack posted.

In Building 'H' Jack's list doesn't include the 3rd floor unit H12 as being OF but does include the 1st and 2nd floor units H8 & H10. Can you explain this?

Terry

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
In Building 'H' Jack's list doesn't include the 3rd floor unit H12 as being OF but does include the 1st and 2nd floor units H8 & H10. Can you explain this?

Terry

Yes - the other units are privately owned condos.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm not bidding on it. And hopefully, DeniseM finally owns enough of them now, so maybe she'll give someone else a chance... ;)

Not even tempted by this one - I only paid $98 and this one has $500 in closing costs plus they are asking for the $1,003 MF up front. The MF's haven't even been billed yet! :rolleyes:

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes - the other units are privately owned condos.

So I am wondering how the map would be inaccurate as you described above. Wouldn't ALL of the units in Bldg 'H' and 'G' be ocean front except for the ones indicated on the map to be inward facing? :shrug:

Terry

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So I am wondering how the map would be inaccurate as you described above. Wouldn't ALL of the units in Bldg 'H' and 'G' be ocean front except for the ones indicated on the map to be inward facing? :shrug:

Terry

That's exactly the point, the units on the inside aren't ocean front, and many of the units aren't timeshares. So if you buy in F, G, or H, but on the wrong side of the building you don't own ocean front, and it also helps to know which units are timeshares and which are private condos.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
That's exactly the point, the units on the inside aren't ocean front, and many of the units aren't timeshares. So if you buy in F, G, or H, but on the wrong side of the building you don't own ocean front, and it also helps to know which units are timeshares and which are private condos.

Got it. Thanks.

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pahio Kauai Beach Villas, Pahio Shearwater
Aloha,
All the preceding is correct but one small clarification might help. The H building contains only 2 bedroom 2 bath units. There are no 1 bed 2 bath units and no garden view 1 bed 1 bath units in H.
Jack

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
KBV Oceanfront unit up again on eBay

There is another auction on eBay for a KBV oceanfront unit. The details on the listing are incorrect, again, as the unit is a 1br 2ba, not a 1/1 as advertised. And I don't think the MFs are as high as they're saying. But if the unit is the one they list (F3) it IS oceanfront. And it's an annual unit, too.

The auction is 300284070980.

Hope a Tugger gets it. Good luck!

Dave

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DAVE - WILL YOU KNOCK THAT OFF! :annoyed:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
They haven't sent out the 2009 MF yet - 2008 was $978.03 - 2009 could be $1,003....or they could be guessing... :shrug:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Oh. Right. Sorry. ;)

Dave
I'm thrilled you got it, although I was just informed by my spouse that WE should have gotten it. Oh well! Maybe next time.

Dave - This is your chance to make your spouse happy! :D

BTW - on the other week I negotiated NOT paying the MF into escrow, so I got it for $98 out the door...

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Denise, you continue to amaze me. How does that low-price crown fit? ;)

As to this latest eBay auction - I'll also pass on it. The one I already have is a great fit for my traveling schedule. This auction is an excellent option for someone who wants an annual 1br oceanfront week at KBV. If I could use it, I'd jump on it. I'm only offering the info here so a smart Tugger gets a chance, rather than the anonymous, uninformed, unwashed Internet masses who aren't TUG-smart.

Although the idea is reaallly tempting... LOL! :hysterical:

Dave