• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Data Suggest the Coronavirus Isn’t as Deadly as We Thought

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I'd think even worse, since the virus is more widespread than it was a month ago. People congregating will bring it to the group from various locations. Those exposed will return to their homes and infect others there who weren't exposed previously. It doesn't bode well.

Dave
I am hoping I am wrong, it might take an even more severe outbreak for more people to take the precautions necessary.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
This is what has been delivered thus far: 39.4 Million N95 Masks, 431 million hospital gloves, 10.2 million hospital Gowns, 57 million surgical masks and 500 million produced by end of April and 100 Million distributed, 10,000 ventilators to NY and others distributed to other hot spots, 3,7 million tests. Additional ventilators manufactured (NY delivering Federal ventilators to other states as they do not need them now...thank god). Forgot the ships delivered to each coast as well as in several cities the millitary has built hospital beds and 1,000 or so military healthcare workers to NY to help.

I am glad the Army Corp of Engineers and military are on our side. They are impressive. They delivered what they were asked to do.

But far from a home run which is getting this country SAFELY out of SIP.

Yes a good start. The ventilators already existed in the stockpile but many didn't work because the service contracts were cut last August :rolleyes: Many N95s in the the stockpile were expired. At best a base hit from a bunt. These were already on hand so not a herculean effort to distribute. 39.4 million is nowhere near what is needed. California alone needs almost 200 million a month.

There is progress on ventilators with automotive but let's see results. They cannot even get enough swabs manufactured to run tests!

The much heralded "small business stimulus" - PPP and EIDL programs are out of money and money went to big restaurant and hotel chain via a loop hole so Joe's local restaurant is SOL. Many small businesses haven't gotten money yet. What a mess!

Anyone who has been in business knows that if an executive brought these kind of results, with lots of excuses and blame game, you know what would happen...

Let's hope they can turn this around.

Last edited:

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think this is all just a big push to get people to wash their damn selves

And now you've hit on my biggest complaint of all......I can't even get my car washed!!! Unlimited car wash plan on both cars and just look at them - pathetic!! 60 and sunny today - The wife says 'turn on the hose bibs and wash the cars' ugh. ;)

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
Person taking your money with gloves and a face filter touches everything. Including the face mask and then hands you your change

Most important advice yet during this pandemic: PLEASE DO NOT USE CASH. CC only. Wipe it off when you can. The virus is on that cash, trust me.

How do we not know that those dying are palm lickers?

I hope in retrospect you might have rethought this comment, or worded it better. This thing is devastating on so many levels to many families. Those that are in the ICU and struggling to breath and maybe followed every rule possible. The virus infects souls from every walk of life. People who go through all that and recover, and then go home and can't even get a real hug. Sad

Last edited:

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
The article is about the plan to reopen businesses and how some of the top restaurant owners in the state feel about having people in their restaurants again before testing and PPE’s are available to protect their employees and the public

I say Mr Sessions is the 'canary' in your state. If he feels safe enough to enter a specific eatery, I'm right behind him. :)

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
Most important advice yet during this pandemic: PLEASE DO NOT USE CASH. CC only. Wipe it off when you can. The virus is on that cash, trust me.

I hope in retrospect you might have rethought this comment, or worded it better. This thing is devastating on so many levels to many families. Those that are in the ICU and struggling to breath and maybe followed every rule possible. The virus infect souls from every walk of life. People who go through all that and recover, and then go home and can't even get a real hug. Sad

Nope
I don’t and never have been a follower

I don’t wish pain on anyone. Or very few. Wasn’t my point

I don’t believe everyone suffering or dying is strictly from this virus. I think there are many contributors

And I believe. Not because I read a book but because I see daily firsthand many people are disgusting and dirty

Now. You can believe that or not but I have seen guys in the toilet with their egg McMuffin on a napkin on the floor and then walk right on out

It’s people like this that spread and cause many illnesses

What I will say is that we are all believing what we see on tv or hear on the radio

Sure. People don’t deserve this but many bring problems on themselves

Another point to that is Home Depot
Went there the other day and it was packed and the average age had to have been 70

Tell me those people aren’t bringing this on themselves

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I am in favor of lifting SIP/SAH and trying to get back to normal. However, I am supremely frustrated with people who are preaching to stay at home, yet they go out to Home Depot and other stores for non-essential items. I am really frustrated by the hypocrisy during this time.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Civil unrest is a by product of the mitigation. Just imagine if many more had gotten sick and the medical system could not handle the virus or any other medical issues. The protests would be too.

There's no doubt this is going to have huge economic and social impacts, and if it continues, the more likely people are going to get to the point where social action is the only move forward.

New York City, the U.S. epicenter of the COVID-19 pandemic, has seen a 75 percent increase in reports of burglaries of commercial establishments.

We simply can't avoid social unrest. Social distancing, or even buying gloves and masks, is becoming more difficult for people running out of money. Keep in mind that unlike some other countries, the American people are not virtual wards of the state, helplessly waiting for government to take care of their every need. Right or wrong, if these shelter in place orders aren't lifted soon, people will fight back.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
There's no doubt this is going to have huge economic and social impacts, and if it continues, the more likely people are going to get to the point where social action is the only move forward.

New York City, the U.S. epicenter of the COVID-19 pandemic, has seen a 75 percent increase in reports of burglaries of commercial establishments.

We simply can't avoid social unrest. Social distancing, or even buying gloves and masks, is becoming more difficult for people running out of money. Keep in mind that unlike some other countries, the American people are not virtual wards of the state, helplessly waiting for government to take care of their every need. Right or wrong, if these shelter in place orders aren't lifted soon, people will fight back.
This is spot on. Americans are fairly smart in general even with the media feeding them garbage from the right and the left. Here's what I know. We were told that we needed to stay home so that we could flatten the curve, but this was to save the hospitals. What about the vast majority of the United States WHERE THERE ARE VIRTUALLY NO CASES and there aren't any real pressures on the hospital systems? People are now figuring out that we got the good old okie dokie. The data doesn't support the original predictions. I live in a county with about 400,000 people. We have 413 cases so far and 8 deaths. Our outbreaks are now mostly in long term care facilities. Our hospitals aren't overwhelmed. People across the country are going to start demanding answers.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
Civil unrest is a by product of the mitigation. Just imagine if many more had gotten sick and the medical system could not handle the virus or any other medical issues. The protests would be too.

This civil unrest is also the result of a Chief Instigator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R.J.C.

unconfirmed
Reaction score
@R.J.C. You feel exactly as I do. And just because I'm not scared doesn't mean that I'm not understanding or respecting what we have been asked in society to do. I'm following all of the "rules". But as soon as they say "go", I'm off an running back to living my life as I used to. I'm just not someone who lives my life with fear and anxiety as an undercurrent.

Just last night there was a crash in my county due to stupid or drunk driving. Truck crossed the center line at a high rate of speed and crashed into a van. Occupants of both vehicles dead.

So, just comparing the two:

Covid deaths - 2 (total)
Vehicle deaths - 4 (just one night)

I'll take my chances with the Juju bug.

Last edited:

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I say Mr Sessions is the 'canary' in your state. If he feels safe enough to enter a specific eatery, I'm right behind him. :)

I’d say any politician insisting on reopening businesses should be the first to visit and should personally welcome every employee and customer. If they aren’t willing to do that, shut up!

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nope
I don’t and never have been a follower

I don’t wish pain on anyone. Or very few. Wasn’t my point

I don’t believe everyone suffering or dying is strictly from this virus. I think there are many contributors

And I believe. Not because I read a book but because I see daily firsthand many people are disgusting and dirty

Now. You can believe that or not but I have seen guys in the toilet with their egg McMuffin on a napkin on the floor and then walk right on out

It’s people like this that spread and cause many illnesses

What I will say is that we are all believing what we see on tv or hear on the radio

Sure. People don’t deserve this but many bring problems on themselves

Another point to that is Home Depot
Went there the other day and it was packed and the average age had to have been 70

Tell me those people aren’t bringing this on themselves

I thiink you just showed that you are mote disgusting than the people you described.

R.J.C.

unconfirmed
Reaction score
That's a start but won't help a lot. A facility close me had multiple deaths. The experts wanted to move a group of 25 who had been separated for weeks with no symptoms to another facility. The local people protested to stop the move. Finally, the 'experts' thought if they tested the 25 then they might stop the protests so they could do what they wanted. That is until 21 of the 25 tested positive. None of the group had shown ANY symptoms. They had been individually isolated, temp checked everyday, and so on.

And given how easy this spreads, everyone would need to be tested frequently on an ongoing basis.

By your own admission, 84% had no symptoms whatsoever but were positive. Further proof how this whole thing has been blown so out of proportion.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for posting this article. I am with the restaurant owners. Even if the government said I could re-open my office, I would not do so. My employees are not comfortable working in the office. Some have kids and the kids can‘t go to school so they need to stay home with the kids. If an employee or client got sick due to covid, it would just mean we need to shut down again. I am someone who is in favor of re-opening the economy ASAP yet I would not re-open my office if it is allowed. I would be cautious myself and wait and see when it is safe to re-open. To me, this is just good business sense.

Thank you for caring about your employees and clients.

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
This civil unrest is also the result of a Chief Instigator.
Yes, Named 'Desperation' . Did you see the line of cars at the Alamo Dome for food? And it's going to get way worse before it gets better. While I'm one of the first to talk about the 'nice cars at the food pantry', this is different. A lot of these cars are going to be repossessed. And they will be angry, not B/C they are slackers, but B/C someone (right or wrong, we will know in a couple of years) made the decision to shut down their business. Business' that they have poured their B,S, and tears into.

By your own admission, 84% h........

I assume you know I said at the beginning '2 weeks OK, but any longer the cure will be worse than the disease.'

R.J.C.

unconfirmed
Reaction score
Enough to test about 1% of all Americans. A start, but we have a long way to go before we can safely re-open.

But you're happy to destroy the economy for about a 1% death rate (if it's even that high). Sad.

Reopen now and stop these shenanigans.

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
I thiink you just showed that you are mote disgusting than the people you described.

Oh ok
You must be the voice of reason then

Doubt it though

My point is that you and those like you are running with the media hype

Sure. People are dying. They die every day
A lot has to do with hygiene. Not all. But a lot

Again. If you can read. I said I’m not sure what the reason is and don’t think people should die period
But people. I’m going to add you to that group. Are gross. Dirty and disgusting
Old. Young and everyone in between

I shower. Twice a day. Wash my hands regularly and guess what? Been sick less than 4 times that I know of in the past 45 years
Not sure if I was as a toddler so my age recollection starts at about grade school and missed 1 day of work since age 18

So call me out. We can do this all night

Last edited:

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Agree that we cannot keep this going for more than a few months. We needed testing and PPE for more than hospital workers NOW so we can open up the economy granularly.

Why can't the Feds get more tests and PPE delivered? It has been two months. Perhaps we should put the Army Corps of Engineers and National Guard in charge of this process because they have their sh*t together and get results. Just look at how quickly they built those field hospitals. Very impressive.
Because good order and discipline combined with nuclear and biohazard ☣ required training and equipment makes us exceptionally prepared to help America in times of crisis. Thank God for the US military and National Guard.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I’d say any politician insisting on reopening businesses should be the first to visit and should personally welcome every employee and customer. If they aren’t willing to do that, shut up!

Like this?...LOL

1587250075494.png

Last edited:

Monykalyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’d be quite interested to see the final peer reviewed version of this paper. I think the authors chose a quick expedient way to recruit test subjects, which makes sense given the desire to get results out ASAP in the midst of a pandemic. But in doing so, they may have introduced significant bias to their study.
Very very good points. As more studies come along hopefully these issues are addressed-particularly the antibody type.
Roger I emailed the NIH study hoping my husband and I could be participants in it. We were both very sick after coming off a Princess Cruise late December. The quicker we can get the antibody testing done the quicker we can get people back to work. Those who do not have the antibodies and have compromised immune systems can still self isolate till the vaccine is ready or the virus leaves.
I emailed them too. I have a question about your cruise- did they require you to be tested coming off the cruise? Or just quarantine? I think I read Diamond Princess they didn’t have testing until almost the end of the quarantine period and people didn’t want to get tested then for fear of being quarantined longer (which I totally understand). I just think this may have been a lost opportunity to see just how fast and infectious this is in as close tot a real world but closed community.

Where is the average person supposed to turn for resolution? It seems there is a swirling whirlpool of information, and it doesn't seem to be going anywhere but around in circles. Being safe is important, but there comes a point where people have to be able to live.

I just want to wake up from this.
I’m sending virtual high fives, hugs and drink of choice for this. Perfect summation of the frustration I think many of us feel!
(Personal note - I am taking zinc supplement, D3 @ 1000 ISP units, (among other vitamins) as a prophylactic dose. . .)
As a Dietitian- many people are borderline deficient in vitamin D! Especially as we age.
They treat me the best I’ve ever been treated as a female director in the automotive industry. I’m hoping like hell this company survives and I can work here till I retire.
I hope you can too! What dream to to find an employer like that! Hoping you all come through this safely!
It's scary when you can't breathe, other than short gasps of air.
Yes it is. It is absolutely terrifying, concentrating on each breath, hoping he next one is easier. I’m asthmatic. Just today- getting plants for my garden, doin the distance thing, being careful etc. some lady lights up a cigarette right on other side of plants cart. Smoke is a sure trigger for me to have a bad attack. Luckily I heard the click of lighter and got the heck outta there. Risk for me is EVERYWHERE. I just have to live with it. Very glad you are are on road to recovery!

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score

:bawl:

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh ok
You must be the voice of reason then

Doubt it though

My point is that you and those like you are running with the media hype

Sure. People are dying. They die every day
A lot has to do with hygiene. Not all. But a lot

Again. If you can read. I said I’m not sure what the reason is and don’t think people should die period
But people. I’m going to add you to that group. Are gross. Dirty and disgusting
Old. Young and everyone in between

I shower. Twice a day. Wash my hands regularly and guess what? Been sick less than 4 times that I know of in the past 45 years
Not sure if I was as a toddler so my age recollection starts at about grade school and missed 1 day of work since age 18

So call me out. We can do this all night
When you respond to an unreasonable person, you give them victory. How do you manage unreasonable people? You dismiss them. Like shadows

Status
Not open for further replies.