• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
By the way here is a bit of a correction. Daniels is not in Coligny Plaza, it is across the street at Beach Place so don't look for it at Coligny.

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
MOW /MGC /MCV/MGO / Trust Points
Two favorites not on Marty's list are the Sea Grass Grille for dinner and Harold's Diner for breakfast.

Every time I'm down there and I drive past Harold's I tell myself i have to try this place but I haven't done so yet. To me it reminds me a a good simple down home NJ type diner place aka "greasy spoon". Now that its on SDJ's recommended list, I will make it a point to go there next time i'm on HHI! Marty? you with me? :)

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Every time I'm down there and I drive past Harold's I tell myself i have to try this place but I haven't done so yet. To me it reminds me a a good simple down home NJ type diner place aka "greasy spoon". Now that its on SDJ's recommended list, I will make it a point to go there next time i'm on HHI! Marty? you with me? :)

Yep, you got it. It's good enough that we forgive the owner and his son for being Dreaded Yankees fans, and that's saying something! :D

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
Yep, you got it. It's good enough that we forgive the owner and his son for being Dreaded Yankees fans, and that's saying something! :D

So when I do eventually go there I'll be sure to wear my Sox hat! :D

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
So when I do eventually go there I'll be sure to wear my Sox hat! :D

You might want to put that hat on AFTER your meal is served!!! :D

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
You might want to put that hat on AFTER your meal is served!!! :D

LOL! :rofl:Nah, I like to live dangerously. Besides, If my family, all die hard yankee fans, haven't killed me by now I think I'm pretty safe.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2

Are you kidding? I'm always with The Dude.
Just speak the word and I'm all in.....;)

disneymom1

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Ocean, Marriott Surfwatch, Marriott Manor Club Sequel

Cool article! Looking forward to our visit to Grande Ocean in August and meeting Pool Bar Jim. Nothing says vacation than an awesome frozen drink sitting on the deck overlooking the ocean.

Checked Amazon. His 2nd book is for sale Pool Bar Jim's Tropical Hardcover – 2005 by James D Lisenby. If you look under new, there is a new 3rd party seller from South Carolina selling the book. Seller is named Pool Bar Jim Tropical and Exotic Drinks and this book is the only book he is selling. Guessing it is Jim himself?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0976515717?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Cool article! Looking forward to our visit to Grande Ocean in August and meeting Pool Bar Jim. Nothing says vacation than an awesome frozen drink sitting on the deck overlooking the ocean.

Checked Amazon. His 2nd book is for sale Pool Bar Jim's Tropical Hardcover – 2005 by James D Lisenby. If you look under new, there is a new 3rd party seller from South Carolina selling the book. Seller is named Pool Bar Jim Tropical and Exotic Drinks and this book is the only book he is selling. Guessing it is Jim himself?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0976515717?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

One of Grande Ocean's valuable assets is Pool Bar Jim himself. He's been there so long, but continues to thrive.......his bar has a healthy and vibrant crowd whenever he's open. Naturally it's partly because of GO and the beautiful pool location, but there are friends and repeat customers who always return regardless of where they're staying, just because of him.

He's as nice a guy as you'll ever meet. I tailgated with him once at UGA when his son was there in college. He walked by headed to the game, recognized my wife Mona right away (LOL???), and came over and stayed a while talking until game time. This past April at Grande Ocean we walked over, he saw us approaching and immediately said, "Wait a minute". Then he went into an underneath cabinet at the bar and pulled out the blueprints of the new deck project (I posted cell phone pics of that in a fairly recent thread). He exited the bar and we took a table outside to talk....probably spent 30 minutes with us. He was so excited about the project, as well he should, and you could see the twinkle in his eye.

Life does become rote and sometimes mundane in a job such as his, but he has never succumbed to that----he always wears a genuine smile and tries as hard as he can to remember names. He's a piece of work and a vastly successful guy, and hopefully he'll be around a long time. He's the definition of a "people person".

Frankly his bar area needed a lift----they've tweaked it a few times, but finally realized he needed to be the shining star that he is at GO, so they added the ambitious deck area which is now complete, and gorgeous. (Phases II and III will follow soon across the mid-resort section, and continuing down toward the North Pool, in all spanning the whole resort's ocean frontage.)

His drink recipe book is a must, and is well done. Makes a nice and unusual gift. He naturally signed a copy for my wife. I have to admit that she's there at GO each year for the 4 weeks of June, and spends a little time there at the bar with friends, family, and her mom....been doing that since that pool was built around 1998 (?). I only get there for the weekends but happy to know he'll be there....sure adds a lot.

I've never shaken the hand of a president, but happy to say I've shaken the hand of Pool Bar Jim. :D

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have shaken hands with a president and would take Pool Bar Jim any day. He would probably do well as a president. Not to make this political.......;)

Steve A

TUG Member
Reaction score
Spouse and I had lunch today at the Poseidon restaurant in the new Kroger shopping center. It is a Serge restaurant and it's huge. The food was was quite good and reasonably priced.

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are currently in HH. Thus far we have had dinner at:
Santa Fe Cafe-- wonderful as always
Skull Creek Boathouse---1st time. It was a pleasant surprise
Daniels-- fabulous
The Vine-- pricey but excellent
Poseidon-- ok but not as good as Skull Creek and more expensive. I do not think I'd return there for dinner. I had a salad and a swordfish special, my husband had the chicken liver appetizer, the costal combo dinner (small portions of scallops, shrimp and fish), and dessert. I had iced tea, he had beer. $120 including tip. Our dinner at the Vine was $165 but far better.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
We are also currently in HHI. Here's our dining report:

Skull Creek Boathouse - we ate outside and had great seafood and a great sunset. The Grouper Imperial was outstanding! We're not staying at a Marriott on this trip, but as a Barony owner, the Barony concierge was kind enough to help us with a call ahead time. Turned what would have been a 90 minute wait into a five minute wait. Great service from Marriott.

San Miguels - in Shelter Cove - happy hour, a great Mexican meal (an incredibly LARGE seafood chimichanga!), and fireworks.

Topside - the primo restaurant view in Harbour Town - overlooks the harbor and the 18th green at Harbour Town Golf Links. More upscale/fine dining than the others. Just my wife and I. Left the teenagers at the condo with pizza! Gorgeous sunset tonight!

One other night we ate in the condo with some colossal-sized fresh shrimp from Barnacle Bills Seafood over angel hair pasta with a vodka cream sauce.

Not sure what is next.

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
We were in HH last week for several days over the 4th of July holiday week. Here are the restaurants we visited:
Jazz Corner- Was our first time having dinner there (we've only been for Music in the past). It was outstanding. Had the Halibut special and it was excellent. The service is u rushed and we stayed for both music sets. Dessert of the pecan pie was a disappointment as it was served like a granola creme brûlée and wasn't very good. Otherwise a great dining experience.

Floras Italian Cafe- our favorite restaurant on HH and it didn't disappoint. We were a party of 10 and the service and food could not have been better. Everyone else in our group were first time visitors to Floras and all loved it. As a special treat for dessert Flora had made her famous Carrot cake which she only makes on special occasions a few times a year including her son's (our waiter) birthday in Feb. it was amazing! Don't miss Floras for a great dining experience.

Hudsons Seafood- we got a table out on the dock and it was a beautiful night. Enjoyed it much more than skull reek boathouse. Had the Neptune platter and everything was fresh and tasty.

Can't wait to go back at the end of August.
Great hearing about everyone's dining experiences on HHI.

Brian

Steve A

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ate at Crane's last Friday evening. Didn't think it was anything special. Room was small and noisy and the airconditioning dripped on me. OTOH my grouper was dry. Wouldn't be going back.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Ate at Crane's last Friday evening. Didn't think it was anything special. Room was small and noisy and the airconditioning dripped on me. OTOH my grouper was dry. Wouldn't be going back.

That's a big yuck. Eeewwww.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
We are currently in HH. Thus far we have had dinner at:
Santa Fe Cafe-- wonderful as always
Skull Creek Boathouse---1st time. It was a pleasant surprise
Daniels-- fabulous
The Vine-- pricey but excellent
Poseidon-- ok but not as good as Skull Creek and more expensive. I do not think I'd return there for dinner. I had a salad and a swordfish special, my husband had the chicken liver appetizer, the costal combo dinner (small portions of scallops, shrimp and fish), and dessert. I had iced tea, he had beer. $120 including tip. Our dinner at the Vine was $165 but far better.

nice assessment!!! You have excellent taste, ilene.

.... everything listed by ilene13 is in agreement with the normal and spot-on experience at each of these places, down to the mixed reviews of Poseidon. I agree with the fact that right now, Poseidon will continue to get these mixed reviews for several reasons. They still have a LOT to overcome. Value and consistency are the two main issues. Much potential, tho.

I'm at HH right now, again..........ate at Santa Fe TONIGHT, and it was great "as always", as described by ilene. Ate at Vine last week---amazing experience and altho expensive, definitely worth the visit, as what they do there is superb and cannot be compared to other HH restaurants. Not a place for all TUG members, however.......and MOST definitely not for kids. I might even say imho, age 21+ would be my general benchmark (not counting your own definition of your kids' maturity level, so I don't offend). But realize it IS fancy, it is different, it is for discriminating customers. (I might also say ilene's favorite Daniel's is somewhat similar to a degree.)

From another post, sounds like Crane's Tavern is slipping fast, as it's one of several reviews that I've heard recently that share the same opinion. Shame, as it used to be very good. Haven't been there in a long while, so I think I'd rather visit OTHER places that are more consistently great. Nice to know, hope management is listening.

I have to honestly say too, regarding an additional post, that when we visited Hudson's last spring and also last summer, it was not good. In my quest for objectivity, I continue to give it chances. Many continue to say they like it, and they very well could have had a good experience, but my firm opinion is that it's far below the standard and average experience at Skull Creek (and Old Oyster Factory too). The sheer numbers of folks who love Skull Creek will continue to rule my high rating there. (It's utterly amazing that they continue to receive such high ratings because of the sheer numbers they serve each night-----quite impressive. I'm sure things happen, but....apparently not many.) Hudson's has been a disappointment to us every time we've ever tried it, going back 2 decades. Some still swear by it, what can I say? Sorry, but 4 of 5 items on their seafood platter are substandard, plus no view and long walk...sheesh.

Have had some wonderful meals at Kenny B's lately, dinner and breakfast, so it's on our for-sure list right now. Great small family-owned and operated place, beyond casual and reasonable. Superb food. Gooooood coffee. I'm totally convinced. Really fun, well located. Both of my good buddies Janette and jont love it, so I'm NEVER NEVER going to say anything objectionable about it!!! If I did, I'd be wrong. ;) LOL, glad to say I agree with them. Family owners there are soooo genuinely nice, but they're happy because they have a good thing going, and they know it.

Speaking of breakfast, Palmetto Bay Sunrise Cafe still ranks as my #1 breakfast spot on the island, bar none, even tho Kenny B's is right up there. Both "can't miss" category. PBSC has an extensive and great menu, best servers on island, fun experience.......simply the best right now and that won't change.

Can honestly say, HH is a great place to be, anytime. ESPECIALLY after visiting the very best wine shop ever----at the new Shelter Cove Towne Center's Kroger Superstore. Advisors Barry or Simou are superb and knowledgeable helpers. When I need to restock, this is where I come. Best deals & best selections by far. Never ever seen so many GOOD selections in one place. Not to mention the great cheese shop......Wow. Try the Cotswold, the Fontina, or the PepperJack. Also picked up two fantastic different Malbec wines served by Vine last week....will accompany the cheeses. Can't wait. Also got some other favorite wines.

And the staff is actually educated about the cheeses. The lady today voiced her opinion about how she loved both the various subtle and not-so-subtle cheeses from all over the world, so I said, "OK, take me somewhere..." And she did....she recommended one of her favorites and I walked away with a great new purchase. That's how it should be done. When we discussed one of my favorites, "Cotswold", we then talked about how much we both loved visiting Stratford-upon-Avon with Shakespeare's house, etc, and several Cotswold villages including my favorites Stow-on-the-Wold, Moreton-in-Marsh, and "the most beautiful village in England", Bibury. Whoa! That was fun. We had both actually been to all of those. The cheese will be all-the-more special for that.

Last time TUG's "jont" and I were together here in HH---back in April, I guess----he and Maria served us some great hors d'oeuvres at their place, and we're going to give those a shot tomorrow evening---picked up the ingredients today. Thanks, guys.

Hey, the beach and pools at HH are fantastic, no doubt, but the evenings are pretty sweet here too. Been a good day, can't wait until tomorrow.........:hi:

Last edited:

FlyerBobcat

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
... Ate at Vine last week---amazing experience and altho expensive, definitely worth the visit, as what they do there is superb and cannot be compared to other HH restaurants......

Marty,

I'm interested in hearing your experience with getting a reservation at Vine, based on previous TUG comments related to:

1) difficulty getting a reservation other that right at opening time, or very late
2) owners not showing that they value/want the tourist crowd.

Personally I have scratched that place off my list based on those comments....

Thanks

amanda14

Pool Education Team Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for this post. Since we are headed to Surf Watch next week we will definitely be trying PBSC

nice assessment!!! You have excellent taste, ilene.

.... everything listed by ilene13 is in agreement with the normal and spot-on experience at each of these places, down to the mixed reviews of Poseidon. I agree with the fact that right now, Poseidon will continue to get these mixed reviews for several reasons. They still have a LOT to overcome. Value and consistency are the two main issues. Much potential, tho.

I'm at HH right now, again..........ate at Santa Fe TONIGHT, and it was great "as always", as described by ilene. Ate at Vine last week---amazing experience and altho expensive, definitely worth the visit, as what they do there is superb and cannot be compared to other HH restaurants. Not a place for all TUG members, however.......and MOST definitely not for kids. I might even say imho, age 21+ would be my general benchmark (not counting your own definition of your kids' maturity level, so I don't offend). But realize it IS fancy, it is different, it is for discriminating customers. (I might also say ilene's favorite Daniel's is somewhat similar to a degree.)

From another post, sounds like Crane's Tavern is slipping fast, as it's one of several reviews that I've heard recently that share the same opinion. Shame, as it used to be very good. Haven't been there in a long while, so I think I'd rather visit OTHER places that are more consistently great. Nice to know, hope management is listening.

I have to honestly say too, regarding an additional post, that when we visited Hudson's last spring and also last summer, it was not good. In my quest for objectivity, I continue to give it chances. Many continue to say they like it, and they very well could have had a good experience, but my firm opinion is that it's far below the standard and average experience at Skull Creek (and Old Oyster Factory too). The sheer numbers of folks who love Skull Creek will continue to rule my high rating there. (It's utterly amazing that they continue to receive such high ratings because of the sheer numbers they serve each night-----quite impressive. I'm sure things happen, but....apparently not many.) Hudson's has been a disappointment to us every time we've ever tried it, going back 2 decades. Some still swear by it, what can I say? Sorry, but 4 of 5 items on their seafood platter are substandard, plus no view and long walk...sheesh.

Have had some wonderful meals at Kenny B's lately, dinner and breakfast, so it's on our for-sure list right now. Great small family-owned and operated place, beyond casual and reasonable. Superb food. Gooooood coffee. I'm totally convinced. Really fun, well located. Both of my good buddies Janette and jont love it, so I'm NEVER NEVER going to say anything objectionable about it!!! If I did, I'd be wrong. ;) LOL, glad to say I agree with them. Family owners there are soooo genuinely nice, but they're happy because they have a good thing going, and they know it.

Speaking of breakfast, Palmetto Bay Sunrise Cafe still ranks as my #1 breakfast spot on the island, bar none, even tho Kenny B's is right up there. Both "can't miss" category. PBSC has an extensive and great menu, best servers on island, fun experience.......simply the best right now and that won't change.

Can honestly say, HH is a great place to be, anytime. ESPECIALLY after visiting the very best wine shop ever----at the new Shelter Cove Towne Center's Kroger Superstore. Advisors Barry or Simou are superb and knowledgeable helpers. When I need to restock, this is where I come. Best deals & best selections by far. Never ever seen so many GOOD selections in one place. Not to mention the great cheese shop......Wow. Try the Cotswold, the Fontina, or the PepperJack. Also picked up two fantastic different Malbec wines served by Vine last week....will accompany the cheeses. Can't wait. Also got some other favorite wines.

And the staff is actually educated about the cheeses. The lady today voiced her opinion about how she loved both the various subtle and not-so-subtle cheeses from all over the world, so I said, "OK, take me somewhere..." And she did....she recommended one of her favorites and I walked away with a great new purchase. That's how it should be done. When we discussed one of my favorites, "Cotswold", we then talked about how much we both loved visiting Stratford-upon-Avon with Shakespeare's house, etc, and the other Cotswold villages of Stow-on-the-Wold, Moreton-in-Marsh, and "the most beautiful village in England", Bibury. Whoa! That was fun. We had both actually been to all of those. The cheese will be all-the-more special for that.

Last time TUG's "jont" and I were together here in HH---back in April, I guess----he and Maria served us some great hors d'oeuvres at their place, and we're going to give those a shot tomorrow evening---picked up the ingredients today. Thanks, guys.

Hey, the beach and pools at HH are fantastic, no doubt, but the evenings are pretty sweet here too. Been a good day, can't wait until tomorrow.........:hi:

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marty,

I'm interested in hearing your experience with getting a reservation at Vine, based on previous TUG comments related to:

1) difficulty getting a reservation other that right at opening time, or very late
2) owners not showing that they value/want the tourist crowd.

Personally I have scratched that place off my list based on those comments....

Thanks

I called them about a month before arriving and I was given quite a few options. This experience is the opposite of what I encountered two years ago. I'd try again, as Marty says, it's worth the money.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
just a quick and interesting note, validating something from this thread:

ate at Annie O's last night for the first time, was recommended by some locals on different occasions....a very small southern cooking type place, nothing fancy. was determined to try it.

food was very good, very reasonable prices, relaxed and comfortable place, and I found it to be a good change of venue when you've done the seafood thing enough. will go back.

So then this evening (very early like 3:30pm) we ate at SKULL CREEK BOATHOUSE, and our waitress from last night at Annie O's was off, and unbeknownst to me, sitting at Skull Creeks's inside bar along with at least 5 other local waiters/servers.
She turned around, looked over at us in a booth and said "2 unsweet and one sweet?"
For a moment I balked. Who was this? Then it hit me.

Hilarious because THEN I recognized her from last night.....(she had on a baseball cap which threw me off at first). But that drink order was exactly what she served us last night, and we were total strangers at that time......
Amazing that she recognized us and remembered our drink order......
and Annie O's was very busy last night.

My main point, though is this >>>> 5 local servers choose Skull Creek as their seafood restaurant of choice. That screams volumes.

I talked with her a bit, bought her a drink, and we proceeded to have another fantastic seafood meal at Skull Creek. And at 3:30 when we first arrived, SC was already packed, packed, packed. What's the old saying, "10 million people can't be wrong"?

I rest my fork. ;)

amanda14

Pool Education Team Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just got out of bed and I was literally thinking in my haze if I wanted to get SCB at a time where there wouldn't be much of a wait, what time would I go? I was thinking 4. Obviously I need to reconsider!

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just got out of bed and I was literally thinking in my haze if I wanted to get SCB at a time where there wouldn't be much of a wait, what time would I go? I was thinking 4. Obviously I need to reconsider!

We went at 7:30pm with the Marriott call ahead advantage and we were seated immediately!