• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Resale DC Point Benefits

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
Just double checking on this.

1) Do Marriott DC points bought on the resale market come with all the same benefits as buying DC Points direct after the activation fee is paid? As I understand they do have all benefits except the ability to convert DC Points to Marriott Rewards points.

2) Do you still get the same ownership level based on how many DC points you buy resale? For example, 4000-6999 = Select level, 7000-9999 = Executive level, etc.?

3) If Marriott changes any benefits in the future, would a resale buyer get grandfathered in?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
I believe the way resale points are currently treated, Steven is correct.

That said, in the effort of full disclosure, I will give you some language to ponder...

My cut and paste excerpts are from the Exchange Docs....in full here. http://www.my-vacationclub.com/common/vc/en-us/pdfs/enrollment_legal_docs/exchange_procedures.pdf

Below is what is says about certain benefits. So based on my reading, they do have the ability to limit the usage of resale points if they choose. That said, it appears that if you pay the $2/point junk fees, limitations appear to be limited to potential non usage of Special Benefits, which as defined seem to be certain Explorer Collection benefits (hotel accommodations, cruises, other travel services). Again, I do not believe anybody has reported that they are limiting resale points now, I just want to point out that it does appear they have the ability to do so if they choose to.

The excerpt....

IV
H. Base Exchange Benefits, Base Plus Exchange Benefits, and Special Benefits. Exchange Company may offer Special Benefits and/or Base Plus Exchange Benefits through the Program to certain Program Members and not others (which may include, but is not limited to, variance among Affiliate Programs(s) and levels of Membership), from time to time. Such Special Benefits may vary, are not part of the Affiliate Program (or its reservation system), and are provided solely as part of the Program at the sole discretion of Exchange Company. Exchange Company has the right to establish such rules and regulations as it deems necessary to adequately govern Program Member access to such Special Benefits, which may include certain fees. In addition, Exchange Company has the right to restrict use of any Base Plus Exchange Benefits and Special Benefits offered by Exchange Company to certain Program Members, including, without limitation, only to those Program Members who (i) purchase an Interest from or through an “Approved Broker” which includes: (a) the developer of the Program Member’s Affiliate Program or Component; or (b) such other entity approved by Exchange Company, from time to time; (ii) acquire the Interest by virtue of being a Family Member by gift, will, divorce decree, testamentary disposition, intestate succession or trust from a Program Member; or (iii) is otherwise granted Membership by Exchange Company, upon the terms and conditions then determined by Exchange Company in Exchange Company’s sole discretion. If a Program Member does not satisfy the criteria set forth above in this Section IV.H., such Program Member may be limited to only Base Exchange Benefits, or upon payment of the initiation fee, if permitted in Exchange Company’s sole discretion, Base Plus Exchange Benefits. Any offered Special Benefits are subject to separate terms and conditions, which may be changed, substituted, or eliminated without prior notice. Some Special Benefits may be provided by independent third parties and Exchange Company expressly disclaims responsibility for the acts or omissions of any persons or entities providing such Special Benefits. Special Benefits are only available to Guests that are accompanied by a Program Member or a Family Member of the Program Member.

Some Definitions from the end of the docs....

Base Exchange Benefits mean the limited ability to make exchanges during the Open Reservation Period and access to such other programs and services defined and offered by Exchange Company as Base Exchange Benefits, from time to time, in Exchange Company’s sole discretion.

Base Plus Exchange Benefits mean the ability to make exchanges during all the Reservation Windows subject to these Exchange Procedures and access to such other programs and services defined and offered by Exchange Company as Base Plus Exchange Benefits, from time to time, in Exchange Company’s sole discretion. The ability to utilize a Base Plus Exchange Benefit may not be available to all Program Members.

Open Reservation Period means the period beginning sixty (60) days before the first day of a given unreserved Use Period.

Special Benefits mean special products, services, benefits, and vacation/recreational experiences offered by Exchange Company, including, without limitation, the ability to reserve hotel accommodations, cruises, other travel services, and to receive Single Use Points. The ability to utilize a Special Benefit may not be available to all Program Members including, specifically, Program Members who are entitled only to Base Exchange Benefits. If Special Benefits are available and a Program Member is eligible to purchase or utilize any Special Benefits, separate terms and conditions shall apply to the purchase and use of such Special Benefits.

Last edited:

quikitikit

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond Resorts Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort (EVR), Marriott Newport Coast (NCV), Marriott Destination Club Trust Points

1) Do Marriott DC points bought on the resale market come with all the same benefits as buying DC Points direct after the activation fee is paid? As I understand they do have all benefits except the ability to convert DC Points to Marriott Rewards points.

2) Do you still get the same ownership level based on how many DC points you buy resale? For example, 4000-6999 = Select level, 7000-9999 = Executive level, etc.?

3) If Marriott changes any benefits in the future, would a resale buyer get grandfathered in?
Wish I could get some resale points now. We own 1 week Newport Coast EOY even (bought resale 2009), enrolled when purchased minimum points in 2014. Where to find brokers?

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points

Currently, yes.

Level is based on total points owned (including the converted point value of any enrolled week).

When there have been program changes in the past, there have been provisions to grandfather owners (such as when the number and requirements for ownership levels changed). However, I am not aware of any legal obligation to always do that in the future.