• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Made Platinum again thanks to Marriott TS ownership

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is one of the really nice perks of owning multiple Marriott TSs in that it gets us to platinum every year. Just made it again for 2012. For us its a very valuable status as we find 8 out of 10 times we get a really nice upgrade when we just buy the basic room.

We're hoping this continues when we stay 5 nights at the Marriott Wailea in Feb. Its on a 5 night cert so hopefully they will still upgrade even though we didn't even pay for the room. I'm told they usually do but I've never even been in the situation so I can speak from experience.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
At Wailea you will probably only get an upgraded view. They tried to guarantee my upgrade with a couple hundred thousand points, but I said no. I ultimately cancelled the reservation because I had a better deal with a condo in Kapalua. I still have that 5 night cert to use.....

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
I have stayed at the Wailea Marriott several times in the last four or five years, always on MR points, and I have gotten a nice upgraded view every time. I was Gold all of those times. They seem to be one of the best Marriotts for consistently getting room upgrades.

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm Lifetime Platinum and I always book the basic room and always ask if they're full when I check in. If they're not full, I ask if I can have an upgrade. I always get it, sometimes even if they're full. Lesson = always ask.

Congrats on reaching Platinum! It's quite an accomplishment each year!

larryallen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
KOBC x6, Westin Kierland x2, and we went to the darkside and bought points!
This is one of the really nice perks of owning multiple Marriott TSs in that it gets us to platinum every year. Just made it again for 2012. For us its a very valuable status as we find 8 out of 10 times we get a really nice upgrade when we just buy the basic room.

- Just FYI, for others, you get the same perks by renting from an owner as you still get your MR Elite nights credit.
- You get 80% on upgrades? I am plat and find it to be about 20% for an upgrade and I do always ask. I must be doing something wrong! I guess I don't smile enough or something!? :)

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
-
- You get 80% on upgrades? I am plat and find it to be about 20% for an upgrade and I do always ask. I must be doing something wrong! I guess I don't smile enough or something!? :)

Dear Larry, you don't have a picture of yourself posted here, so you're probably not as cute as me. That's why I get the upgrades!

:rofl::rofl:

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
- Just FYI, for others, you get the same perks by renting from an owner as you still get your MR Elite nights credit.

I'm not sure what you mean by your first comment about getting same perks if you rent from owner. Here we're talking about Marriott hotel rentals which I'm surprised you suggest you only get 2 out of 10 upgrades. Where are you going and when? If there is no upgrade available then you couldn't be given one so maybe you frequent high demand hotels and prime time?

I don't know but I know for sure we get them routinely. Last one was a nice upgrade at the HHI Marriott a standard room to OF room this August. They did the same for us the previous year as well.

Also got a nice one in Marriott Philly downtown this summer where they gave us a view of the Cit hall clock that was really nice.

http://www.cambrafamily.com/What_s_New.php

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
I always book the AAA rate or 62+ rate and have always been upgraded to concierge floor and larger rooms. Breakfast is usually included on weekends. Also, if they don't ask you what gift you'd like on check in, when you get to your room call and ask them for your $100.

kmij

TUG Member
Reaction score
$100 gift?

powershift,

is that a joke?? or is it a perk if they forget to ask you at check in which gift you would prefer?? we have only been offered the 500 pts or a treat (2 cookies and a beer).
i guess, given the choice, i would take the 100.00!!

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It's not a joke. If the guaranteed Platinum arrival gift is not offered, you may choose to take cash, ranging from $100 at Marriotts to $25 for Fairfield Inns and TownPlace Suites.

flyboy0681

Reaction score
I'm Lifetime Platinum and I always book the basic room and always ask if they're full when I check in. If they're not full, I ask if I can have an upgrade. I always get it, sometimes even if they're full. Lesson = always ask.

My experience is just the opposite. I too am a lifer but rarely get upgraded, even when I call central reservations days before and request that it be put in my record.

flyboy0681

Reaction score

I'm curious to know how owning several properties garners you Platinum each year. Do you own 75 nights and get credit for each when you check in?

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's not a joke. If the guaranteed Platinum arrival gift is not offered, you may choose to take cash, ranging from $100 at Marriotts to $25 for Fairfield Inns and TownPlace Suites.

Good to know! I'll keep my mouth shut from now on and wait for them to ask instead of volunteering that I want the points! Thanks Dave!

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
My experience is just the opposite. I too am a lifer but rarely get upgraded, even when I call central reservations days before and request that it be put in my record.

Like I told LarryAllen, he (and you) don't have pictures posted here, so I have to assume, I'm just cuter!! :hysterical:

flyboy0681

Reaction score
Like I told LarryAllen, he (and you) don't have pictures posted here, so I have to assume, I'm just cuter!! :hysterical:

Could very well be, but as someone who has added hundreds of thousands of dollars to the Marriott Hotel coffers over the years, front desk personnel should be blind.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is how I get to Platinum every year without fail.

Start with zero points (assume no roll over)

Chase Marriott Visa Card - 15 nights
Lock off and stay four weeks in Marriott timeshares - 28 nights
Stay at Marriott hotels for business and some personal travel - 10 nights
Spend about $6,000 per month on the Visa Card (I use it for almost everythig that I purchase) - 24 nights

That's 77 nights without any real effort.

Like Joe, I'm already platinum this year with almost two months remaining. Notice that the Visa gets me over half way every year. For folks that think the annual fee is high, I can tell you that my upgrades, free concierge level, and the free category 5 certificate more than pay for it. I also never carry a balance over month end.

I'm curious to know how owning several properties garners you Platinum each year. Do you own 75 nights and get credit for each when you check in?

flyboy0681

Reaction score

Spend about $6,000 per month on the Visa Card (I use it for almost everythig that I purchase) - 24 nights

Quite interesting. And to think I earned my lifetime status the old fashioned way - by sleeping in Marriott's to the tune of 1000 nights.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch

Like Joe, I'm already platinum this year with almost two months remaining. Notice that the Visa gets me over half way every year. For folks that think the annual fee is high, I can tell you that my upgrades, free concierge level, and the free category 5 certificate more than pay for it. I also never carry a balance over month end.

Yep, we're in that same camp with you and Joe and a whole lot of other Marriott timeshare owners. That change from a few years ago that allows Elite Nights to be credited based on VISA spending is the best thing since sliced bread. Multiple timeshare stays provide the good base but it's the VISA credits that make Plat status attainable. :cheer:

MALC9990

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yep, we're in that same camp with you and Joe and a whole lot of other Marriott timeshare owners. That change from a few years ago that allows Elite Nights to be credited based on VISA spending is the best thing since sliced bread. Multiple timeshare stays provide the good base but it's the VISA credits that make Plat status attainable. :cheer:

Reached 75 nights in early Sept with a 3 night stay at the Bangkok Marriott Resort & Spa. With lockoff - 10 weeks in MVCI resorts each year + the British Marriott Visa card 10 bonus nights each year is enough to get to Plat status.

flyboy0681

Reaction score
Reached 75 nights in early Sept with a 3 night stay at the Bangkok Marriott Resort & Spa. With lockoff - 10 weeks in MVCI resorts each year + the British Marriott Visa card 10 bonus nights each year is enough to get to Plat status.

Well, as someone who went through an awful lot to earn the status, by spending at least six months out of the year on the road in hotels, it doesn't quite seem fair that others can quickly and easily get the same benefits by utilizing these tools.

Now that's just me, but I'm sure others out there that have earned them just like me probably feel the same way. This is Marriott's way of watering down the program (I can just hear the replies now).

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Well, as someone who went through an awful lot to earn the status, by spending at least six months out of the year on the road in hotels, it doesn't quite seem fair that others can quickly and easily get the same benefits by utilizing these tools.

Now that's just me, but I'm sure others out there that have earned them just like me probably feel the same way. This is Marriott's way of watering down the program (I can just hear the replies now).

I don't disagree with you at all, and would fully support if Marriott developed some kind of Status super tier for folks like you whose stays at the hotels are the backbone of Marriott's success. There should be a clear differential between actual stays and other methods of amassing MRP/status. And you're the consumers who SHOULD be upgraded to the very best of the best lodgings that Marriott can offer for each and every one of your stays.

But, I don't have a problem with all of us being entitled to take advantage of the VISA-related perks to amass Elite Night credits and bucketloads of MRP. I'd guess that whatever financial benefit Marriott gains from VISA due to their relationship, it's based on a one-to-one basis and not on status levels. I'd guess that VISA doesn't credit Marriott at one level for Silver and another for Gold and another for Plat etc. (If I'm wrong here, then I'll agree with you again that your nights spent should result in you earning greater status.)

The one that makes me do a double-take and seems to be as unfair a benefit as can be, is the credit available for onsite "meetings" that don't actually have to be meetings. I don't understand how the whole thing works but those flyertalk folks sure seemed to have found a goldmine that greatly enhances status but requires practically no stays or spending at all.

Last edited:

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score

Flyboy, you are not alone. Although my cuteness gets me upgrades all the time, I too have paid my dues. My MR # starts with 000 XXX XXX so you can tell I'm one of the early members and I too have spent MANY nights in Marriott hotels for business primarily and some pleasure in the past forty years of working (though I was in Marriott hotels BEFORE the program began). I remember signing up at the Indianapolis Marriott probably 30 years ago.

I also have Lifetime Medallion status on Delta airlines. I have paid my dues with my butt in seats and beds!

flyboy0681

Reaction score
Flyboy, you are not alone. Although my cuteness gets me upgrades all the time, I too have paid my dues. My MR # starts with 000 XXX XXX ...

My account number also starts with 000 so we must have crossed paths decades ago at some Marriott.

I also have some Honored Guest Award statements from those days and cringe when I see how much 70,000 points got me back then. Not only free hotel stays, but free airfare and car rental was included!

I'm a lifer in the American AAdvantage program as well.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

$6,000 per month on your visa???? Can you spare any change:hysterical:
:rofl: