• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Made Platinum again thanks to Marriott TS ownership

raybrun

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got upgraded to a $1300 corner OF suite. At wailea

Best upgrade ever! That was with a silver. Now I am at platinum so I need to go back again.

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own a plane, but don't fly for a living - although I wish I did.

Careful what you wish for. I did it for 41 years. It's not the glamor, high paid job most people think it is. I retired two years ago and I have absolutely no desire to get back in a cockpit again. Much more fun sitting in BC and letting somebody else worry about being on time.

puckmanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
good evening...

Flyboy...

truce is on!!! Happy Holidays...

I saw the best games ever!!! It started in 1976 when Chambliss went deep in the 9th inning of game 5 v.KC. In 77 Reggie came. Reggie once said, If I played in NYC they would name a candy bar after me!!! Well, The Bombers signed him and they came out with the "Reggie" bar. Opening Day 77 v White Sox Reggie goes yard in the 7th with a 3 run blast. 45,000 Reggie Bars hit the field!!!

Nothing can ever top Game 6 77 Series. I was 50 feet from reggie when he went deep for the third time!!! Was there when Guidry struck out 18 Angels in 78... Was there every time Billy Martin was rehired!!!! Was at the old crib when Brett took Gossage to the third deck in 1980 Playoffs... The craziest thing I saw was when Brett went deep in 83 but it was called back due to Pine Tar incident. If you missed this one "You tube" Pine tar....

The amazing thing was that in all of my medical school interviews, this was all they wanted to talk about. I didn't get the "Why do want to be a doctor nonsense".

Unfortunately, The Mets were a laughing stock during my tenure at Shea Stadium. I had just retired when Dwight Gooden and Straw hit the scene! I was at the Big Shea as a spectator when a little roller behind the bag, gets by Buckner!!!

good times, great memories....

Happy Tgiving to all...

flyboy0681

Reaction score
I saw the best games ever!!! It started in 1976 when Chambliss went deep in the 9th inning of game 5 v.KC. In 77 Reggie came. Reggie once said, If I played in NYC they would name a candy bar after me!!! Well, The Bombers signed him and they came out with the "Reggie" bar. Opening Day 77 v White Sox Reggie goes yard in the 7th with a 3 run blast. 45,000 Reggie Bars hit the field!!!

May George rest in peace.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
good evening...

Flyboy...

truce is on!!! Happy Holidays...

Nothing can ever top Game 6 77 Series. I was 50 feet from reggie when he went deep for the third time!!! Was there when Guidry struck out 18 Angels in 78... Was there every time Billy Martin was rehired!!!! Was at the old crib when Brett took Gossage to the third deck in 1980 Playoffs... The craziest thing I saw was when Brett went deep in 83 but it was called back due to Pine Tar incident. If you missed this one "You tube" Pine tar....

The amazing thing was that in all of my medical school interviews, this was all they wanted to talk about. I didn't get the "Why do want to be a doctor nonsense".

Unfortunately, The Mets were a laughing stock during my tenure at Shea Stadium. I had just retired when Dwight Gooden and Straw hit the scene! I was at the Big Shea as a spectator when a little roller behind the bag, gets by Buckner!!!

good times, great memories....

Happy Tgiving to all...
Very cool. I have one Yankee playoff experience that was memorable. I went to the Yankee-Mariners game in 1995 when the game went to 16 innings and Jim Lerytz won the game with a homer.

As a sports fan my biggest "claim to fame" was I had NY Ranger season tickets in the 90's and was at the 7th game of the Stanley Cup in 1994 when the Rangers won the Stanley Cup.

I remember being offered $2400 for my two tickets and thinking if they lose and I passed up that money it would haunt me forever but thank God they won and it was well worth it.

I was also at the double overtime win over the Devils when Matteau scored.

BarbS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually, suites are not included in the room upgrades for elite members.

From the Elite Membership T&Cs:

Many properties do provide suite upgrades, but they are not obligated to do so.

Thanks. I didn't realize suites are specifically not included. But our experience has been that if a suite is available, we are routinely upgraded. Our best upgrade experience has been at the Renaissance in Asheville. Once we were even upgraded to the Presidential Suite. Maybe we've just been lucky. :)

windje2000

TUG Member
Reaction score

puckmanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
good morning

Joe...

Cut my teeth at MSG Sect 443 Last row when the tix cost $4. Was there when Nillson broke his ankle in 79 (started the famous Potvin %$#& chant). Moved to Tampa in 1990. The Tampa Lightning were born in 1992 and the rest is history...

Remember Sam Rosen's immortal words after the cup clincher in 1994..

"No more curses, No more 1940, this one will last a lifetime!!!"

Watched that one on ESPN, but was there in 2004 when the bolts pulled it off...

Lots of similarities between Rangers Cup and Bolts Cup...

Both won game 7 v. Western Canadian teams...
Both were one goal games with the winners holding on by dear life...
Both won 7 game conference championship against Eastern rivals
Both Calgary and Canucks were #6 seeds.. Rangers and Bolts were #1 seeds...
Martin Gelinas played on both opponents...

For you Ranger fans out there...Enjoy Coach Torts he is a "special cat"

His goodness and class runs deeper than anything you will see on his post game press conferences ...

"Next question, Larry!!!"

flyboy0681

Reaction score
Careful what you wish for. I did it for 41 years. It's not the glamor, high paid job most people think it is. I retired two years ago and I have absolutely no desire to get back in a cockpit again.

I have six friends that fly big iron for the carriers (one is going through 787 transition right now) and while they complain about the hassles, each one of them thoroughly enjoys their line of work.

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)
Here is how I get to Platinum every year ...

Lock off and stay four weeks in Marriott timeshares ...

So, it sounds like you accumulate Marriott Reward Points (MRP) just by using your Marriott timeshare/week that you own? I have a MRP account and own a L/O week at Shadow Ridge, that I have yet to use. How do I get points credited to my MRP account and how many points do I get per stay, when I use it next year? :shrug:

Or, are you accumulating points by using your Marriott CC for the exchange fees? :shrug:

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
So, it sounds like you accumulate Marriott Reward Points (MRP) just by using your Marriott timeshare/week that you own? I have a MRP account and own a L/O week at Shadow Ridge, that I have yet to use. How do I get points credited to my MRP account and how many points do I get per stay, when I use it next year? :shrug:

The number of nights you stay in a Marriott timeshare (whether it's your owner's week, DC Points, cash stays, II exchanges and Getaways) are credited to your MR account towards Elite status. MR Points for timeshare stays are only earned if you pay cash (direct to Marriott) for the units or if you charge the incidentals during your stays to your Marriott VISA card. You should always make sure that your MR number is attached to any Marriott reservations - sometimes it's automatic if your MR and timeshare accounts are linked; other times you may have to contact a rep to add your number to the reservation OR bring your MR card with you and ask the rep to add it when you check in.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
... Or, are you accumulating points by using your Marriott CC for the exchange fees? :shrug:

And that, too. :) MR Points accumulate with any spending on the Marriott VISA but only the charges paid directly to Marriott will accumulate bonus Points as well. (IOW, charges on your Marriott VISA to pay II - or anyone else - for Marriott stays will not accumulate bonus MR points.)

Last edited:

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your assumptions are incorrect. When a guest checks into a Marriott, only one room is counted towards elite nights, regardless of how many rooms are reserved and paid for or the size of the room (ie, full suite vs regular room). For example, if I reserve a room for my wife and myself and another for my kids, I only get one elite night credit.

So under this scenario, you would only be entitled to 28 elite nights (7 nights x 4 weeks).

Are you sure about this? We booked two rooms at a Marriott for my husband and a business associate. On my record there are two "stays" itemized with the points earned.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you sure about this? We booked two rooms at a Marriott for my husband and a business associate. On my record there are two "stays" itemized with the points earned.

Shhh!!! Let's not let Big Brother know everything!! I know some have said they receive night stays when renters stay in their units but I wouldn't want that to get back to Marriott.

flyboy0681

Reaction score

You would get all the points that you are entitled to but both rooms would only count towards one elite night. I found this out the hard way when I was nearing the 75 nights and put my kids in their own room only to find out I was given a single elite credit. When I called Marriott to question it, they clarified the rules.

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
The way the current system is setup someone could become Gold or Plat without a single night by using the credit card. For Marriott it is all about revenue, they get paid for each night and point that Chase gives a card holder.

This aspect of the program I disagree with. 15 nights as a flat bonus, is fine. Gets you to silver and you can build on it. Earning points is also a great aspect. Use for Travel Packages or free nights. But, I don't think it should continually earn nights towards elite status.

That is how the airline miles programs are arranged. MANY ways to earn miles, but the only way to earn miles towards elite status is having your butt in an airplane seat. I think that keeps the programs less diluted.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Shhh!!! Let's not let Big Brother know everything!! I know some have said they receive night stays when renters stay in their units but I wouldn't want that to get back to Marriott.

You would get all the points that you are entitled to but both rooms would only count towards one elite night. I found this out the hard way when I was nearing the 75 nights and put my kids in their own room only to find out I was given a single elite credit. When I called Marriott to question it, they clarified the rules.

We've had mixed success with getting Elite Night credits for double rooms but it's happened more often than not for us, with both hotel rooms and timeshare units. I don't care much about Big Brother finding out here that it happens when it's not supposed to - I'd much rather they implement their policies correctly all the time than haphazardly, and maybe this could be the impetus for them to finally fix it correctly once and for all. (Once during a phone call about something else I asked why they gave me the double nights - sometimes I speak before thinking, if you can believe that! ;) - and the rep told me to just accept the gift but realize it wasn't usual policy.)

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This aspect of the program I disagree with. 15 nights as a flat bonus, is fine. Gets you to silver and you can build on it. Earning points is also a great aspect. Use for Travel Packages or free nights. But, I don't think it should continually earn nights towards elite status.

That is how the airline miles programs are arranged. MANY ways to earn miles, but the only way to earn miles towards elite status is having your butt in an airplane seat. I think that keeps the programs less diluted.

I like them giving more opportunities to amass MRP and Elite Nights through the VISA spending, but agree that the folks who spend more actual nights in the beds deserve better. They should be able to book a room and KNOW that they will be given a guaranteed upgrade from it, whether that's to a more expensive room or access to the lounge or breakfast/lunch/dinner credits, etc... Whatever the hotel can do to sweeten their stay should be done, and they should be able to prioritize the upgrade they want. (As opposed to the rest of us, who book knowing that there's a possibility for an upgrade of some sort but not a guarantee. That "possibility" thing makes me book exactly what I want because I'm not comfortable with an upgrade being maybe or maybe not available.)

Of course none of this pertains to the timeshare owners staying on owned Weeks/Points - we should get what we purchased, nothing more and nothing less.

Last edited:

flyboy0681

Reaction score

Finally, someone that agrees with me.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I don't see an issue with getting elite nights for timeshare stays. Remember that Marriott gets 10% of all MFs paid, that is probably equivalent to fee revenue that they would get out of a hotel stay. So in the end, revenue wise, a TS night is probably close to being equivalent to a hotel stay for Marriott International (remember that big fat $50MM franchisee license fee).

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You can definitely get double credit with timeshares stays that overlap at different locations, but simultaneous stays at the same hotel is less likely. I have two rooms reserved in mid-December for the same night. I purposely did not put them on the same res # in hopes of getting 2 nights credit.

On this stay I reserved 2 - 2BR suites online then called Marriott to inquire about availability. The res agent told me that there were plenty more of the 2BR suites available, so I had him change one 2BR res to a 1BR giving me a little cost savings. He pretty much guaranteed that I would get my 1BR upgraded to a 2BR because of being platinum elite. Maybe during all this confusion, I'll get 2 nights credit. :D

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
Spend 'em or Lose 'em

Just a caution that MR points are not like money in the bank. While they don't expire, like at Hilton, they do die with you and can only be inherited by a spouse (if you have one). That apparently applies to all MR points even if you bought them from Marriott. No compassion in JW's house it appears. Spend them or one day you'll lose them.

Read carefully the rules of all the point plans you build...some are inheritable (like Amex) and others are not. There seems to be flexibility with United and AA for a fee...if included in your will. But Marriott seems a 'dead' end, just like their timeshares.