• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Made Platinum again thanks to Marriott TS ownership

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have been platnium for a few years now and I was wondering if anyone saw a change on how different places treat you. Last weekend, we went to the Courtyard in Saratoga Springs and instead of staying at the conference location, we booked the Courtyard. When we checked in, we asked for a complimentary upgrade. The person said there weren't any without really taking a moment to check. We went to our room and it was facing the most traffic in the parking lot on the first floor. I asked him if this was the best room available and he was quite rude. I guess that stirred my dander and I probably made a comment about the platnium status. His response was that all we were entitled to was our "little points" which he really never asked which option we wanted, and that this hotel didnt' depend on platnium people for their business. I asked to speak to the manager and he said he was the manager. I was too busy with meetings to go any deeper, but I will call customer service now.

That is downright rude and I would definitely escalate. This happened to me once and it also happened to be Courtyard in Beverly Hills, so maybe its the brand that isn't so responsive.

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with Joe. I would escalate also. Had someone treated me that way I would have escalated him off the floor about six inches using a tender body part as a fulcrum.

I've been fortunate in my twenty years or so with Marriott and haven't run into anyone that nasty and arrogant.

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
This sounds like a bitter, angry person and some other guest really ticked off the employee so he's taking it out on the "guest"

ScubaKat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks to this thread I just applied for the Marriott Visa card.. helped that they have a promotion for the first year free.. :whoopie: I am assuming the 1 free night is worth the $89 annual fee for the next years... Our first MF with Marriott is due in the next couple of months so I figure it would be a good time to join and figure all this out.. I used to be a Hyatt Diamond yearly but am totally unfamiliar with the Marriott system.. quit my last position when our daughter was born since I would rather be home with her than spending more time in hotels than home.. ;)

kmij

TUG Member
Reaction score
cloud club at JW in phoenix

hi powershift,

my husband and i were just at the JW marriott at desert ridge. we are platinum owners. they do not have a concierge level as such. they have the cloud club, which we had to pay for 35.00 per day per person. we did for one day, just to see what it was like. the food was delicious and the service was excellent. they had a morning breakfast, hefty "little sandwiches" at about 1pm. at 5pm they had appetizers (quite a spread) and complimentary drinks (until 8pm.) they also had an assortment of wonderful desserts. we sampled at all of the servings. we were leaving the next day or might have reserved a space for the next day. the chef came out and visited with us. he told us the cloud club was closing down the next monday october 24th and will re-open again as the griffin club. i guess all of the nicer marriotts will have these eventually and they want to keep them all the same.
so i am not so sure that the platinum status is that big of a deal anymore. i did not expect to PAY to go to this "concierge" room called the cloud club.
the girl at the front desk called to the marriott marco hotel and they will have the same "griffin club" there when we stay there this winter. i am not sure what the charge will be for this arrangement.
just an FYI.
jean

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Total Membership Nights Again Now Posted

After about a six week absence, I now see that one's total Marriott Reward Membership Nights are now again being posted.

Good news for those who like to track their total nights:cheer:

flyboy0681

Reaction score
I just noticed that yesterday. It was kind of depressing to see that my total stands at 1,170. That's a lot of nights to be away from home.

flyboy0681

Reaction score
so i am not so sure that the platinum status is that big of a deal anymore. i did not expect to PAY to go to this "concierge" room called the cloud club.
the girl at the front desk called to the marriott marco hotel and they will have the same "griffin club" there when we stay there this winter. i am not sure what the charge will be for this arrangement.

Technically speaking, lounge access for Gold & Platinum members does not apply to resorts, just full service hotels. This is clearly written in the rules.

It would be a nice perk to have access to these resort lounges but at the rate in which Marriott is watering down the Platinum membership, they would have to admit a lot of people. Was a day when this membership was truly exclusive.

puckmanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
good morning....

I have not spent 1000 nites "the old fashioned way" in Marriott hotels. However, I own 4 weeks of purchased time shares. 2 of my weeks are 3 bedrooms and 2 are two bedrooms. For the purpose of hypothetical arguments, lets assume that 1 bedroom equals 1 hotel room. Thus, every year I have 70 bedroom nites (14 times 3 plus 14 times 2). Add to this a few regular "old fashioned hotel stays". This gives me and all of the other multiple week time share owners quite a few "bedroom nites" as well...My total is about 80/year.

I see no difference in how one obtains Platinum status. It is a nice perk that should be enjoyed by all who have achieved it...

IF Marriott wants to encourage me to use their card by making it easier to be a platinum member, Who am I to decline????

flyboy0681

Reaction score
I see no difference in how one obtains Platinum status. It is a nice perk that should be enjoyed by all who have achieved it...

Your assumptions are incorrect. When a guest checks into a Marriott, only one room is counted towards elite nights, regardless of how many rooms are reserved and paid for or the size of the room (ie, full suite vs regular room). For example, if I reserve a room for my wife and myself and another for my kids, I only get one elite night credit.

So under this scenario, you would only be entitled to 28 elite nights (7 nights x 4 weeks).

MALC9990

TUG Member
Reaction score
good morning....

I have not spent 1000 nites "the old fashioned way" in Marriott hotels. However, I own 4 weeks of purchased time shares. 2 of my weeks are 3 bedrooms and 2 are two bedrooms. For the purpose of hypothetical arguments, lets assume that 1 bedroom equals 1 hotel room. Thus, every year I have 70 bedroom nites (14 times 3 plus 14 times 2). Add to this a few regular "old fashioned hotel stays". This gives me and all of the other multiple week time share owners quite a few "bedroom nites" as well...My total is about 80/year.

IF Marriott wants to encourage me to use their card by making it easier to be a platinum member, Who am I to decline????

If you reserve one of your 3 bed units for 7 nights - that will only be 7 nights not 3 times 7 nights. You can only get the multiples if you can lock off. So if your 3 bed units lock off into a 2 bed and a suite then you could double your nights by locking off and booking two different weeks accordingly.

If all your units were lock offs then you could theoretically get a total of 56 nights from your 4 weeks. BUT you must book different weeks for all of the lock offs as only unique night stays will be counted - thus you will need to take 8 weeks vacation time. That will get you to gold but not plat status.

puckmanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
good morning...

flyboy...

I know that i only get one nites credit for 1 nite in a 3 bedroom timeshare... I was trying to make the point that a Tineshare owner is just as valued as someone who spends tons of time in regular hotels!!!

The bedroom/nite analogy was just made to make this point!!!!

I don't believe counting me as Plat customer "waters down " the program...

Last edited:

BarbS

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have been platnium for a few years now and I was wondering if anyone saw a change on how different places treat you. Last weekend, we went to the Courtyard in Saratoga Springs and instead of staying at the conference location, we booked the Courtyard. When we checked in, we asked for a complimentary upgrade. The person said there weren't any without really taking a moment to check. We went to our room and it was facing the most traffic in the parking lot on the first floor. I asked him if this was the best room available and he was quite rude. I guess that stirred my dander and I probably made a comment about the platnium status. His response was that all we were entitled to was our "little points" which he really never asked which option we wanted, and that this hotel didnt' depend on platnium people for their business. I asked to speak to the manager and he said he was the manager. I was too busy with meetings to go any deeper, but I will call customer service now.

Hubby had a reservation at a Fairfield Inn in Charleston a couple of weeks ago. When he checked in, as usual, he asked for an upgrade to a king suite. He was told, sorry, we don't have any suites available. As soon as he got to the room, he called me about it. I went to the Marriott.com site and found that king suites were available and the clerk apparently was lying. He called the Platinum Elite line and told them what happened. They put him on hold while they contacted the hotel to see what the problem was. The story had changed by then. Instead of no suites being available, the clerk claimed he didn't have the authority to upgrade a platinum elite. Hmmm, never heard that excuse before. Supposedly he had to call his manager at home and get permission. So in the end hubby did get what he is supposed to be entitled to (an upgrade to the best available room), which is one of the benefits of a platinum elite, but only after complaining.

You should definitely call the platinum elite line with your complaints.

flyboy0681

Reaction score
I don't believe counting me as Plat customer "waters down " the program...

Sorry, I don't agree. While you were lounging around the swim up bar at the pool, I was eating cold pizza in my room by myself, spending over three years away from my family and dealing with travel headaches on a daily basis.

You as a single person may not water down the program, but multiply that by 52 owners per unit, buildings with hundreds of units and dozens of properties spread out throughout the world and what do you get?

Just my 2 cents. I'm sure other road warriors here will agree with me.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
.... You should definitely call the platinum elite line with your complaints.

Good advice. I usually check on my computer just before arriving to see what is still available. I usually do get upgraded to 'view' rooms, but seldom if ever get upgraded to true suites. I have even called ahead to let the hotel know I was on my way in hopes of their saving me a room with a view.

puckmanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
good morning....

flyboy...

I respectfully disagree as well and this will be last comment on the subject

While you were eating the cold pizza, I spent 14 years pushing Beer and Hot Dogs at Yankee and Shea Stadium ( and numerous other venues). My hands look like something from a horror movie from the calluses. I used this "coin" to put myself thru College and Medical School. I spent 4 then spent years in Medical School followed by 6 years of social and sleep deprivation in order to be able fulfill my calling in life, saving lives (and lounge by the pool).

I think we both work equally hard to support our families and benefit society and we are both entiltled to the benefits of our labors...

This reminds me of the scene from "Jaws" when Hooper and Quint were comparing "scars". Quint "won" when he told the story of the USS Indianapolis...

Your Platinum isn't better than mine and mine isn't better than yours!!!

windje2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I don't agree. While you were lounging around the swim up bar at the pool, I was eating cold pizza in my room by myself, spending over three years away from my family and dealing with travel headaches on a daily basis.

You as a single person may not water down the program, but multiply that by 52 owners per unit, buildings with hundreds of units and dozens of properties spread out throughout the world and what do you get?

You seem to differentiate leisure and business travel, despite the fact that each type of travel generates equally valuable dollars for Marriott. I fail to see why Marriott would differentiate rewarding business from other types of travel.

Someone who spends enough nights in Marriott timeshares and/or hotels to make platinum is a pretty good MAR customer. That same person probably spent more than a few nights away from home on business generating the income that purchased those timeshare stays. That person is not to be confused with someone who spends seven nights in a timeshare once a year and does little other traveling.

Just curious, if your handle accurately describes your chosen profession, did you really expect to spend all your evenings at home with your family? Even if it doesn't, the profession you chose made you a road warrior.

If you are sick of cold pizza move on . . . if you can.

This (former) road warrior respectfully disagrees.

puckmanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
good afternoon

Windje...

Rock on!!!

I would like to see Marriott "water down" the program even more. It would be great if Marriott honored all members that have ever risked their lives and bodies in the service of their country. Every Veteran of our military that is a MR member should be platinum. Our "working class hero" stuff pales in comparison to the contributions of our brave soldiers past and present!!!

Retired TSO

Reaction score
We own three weeks of Marriott timeshares for which we paid a handsome amount ten or so years ago. Since then, we have been paying approx. $3,500.00 per year in annual maintenance fees. Because I can split one of my units into two and get a two weeks stay out of it, in total we get 28 nights from our timeshare units or a credit for 28 nights stay. In order to get 75 nights, one would have to own almost three times as many units and likely spend $10,000.00 per year just in maintenance fees. I am pretty sure that I can stay 75 nights at Marriott hotels on revenue for this amount annually and get a PLAT status. I am a PLAT because in addition to the 28 timeshare nights, I rent a few more weeks at Marriott timeshares and also make use of Marriott hotels for shorter stays. Thanks to some rollover nights, the Marriott Visa card which give me enough to maintain my PLAT status.
I definitely feel entitled to my PLAT stays based on the amount of money I spend at Marriott. :)

MALC9990

TUG Member
Reaction score

The average ownership at MVCI is I believe less than 2 weeks - yes there are some owners who own multiple weeks - I did once meet an owner at a resort with 25 weeks !:eek: but the vast majority probably own only 1 week with a very few of us with multiple weeks and most of those with only 2 or 3. To get 75 nights in a year you need to own and use 11 weeks of Marriott timeshare. Even with 8 weeks - I only made plat for the first time this year with the benefit of my Marriott Visa bonus of 10 nights and 13 rollover nights from 2010. I still needed some hotel nights as well. So of those 400,000 plus owners of MVCI TS weeks _ I would guess that there are only a few hundred (if that many) who get to Plat status based on their TS stays.

The plat elite benefits - I rarely use them since they are not available at any MVCI resort.

So I don't believe that there are great numbers of MVCI owners diluting the programme at all indeed we are probably so rare that you will never meet one in a concierge lounge since the resorts do not have them.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The way the current system is setup someone could become Gold or Plat without a single night by using the credit card. For Marriott it is all about revenue, they get paid for each night and point that Chase gives a card holder.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Hubby had a reservation at a Fairfield Inn in Charleston a couple of weeks ago. When he checked in, as usual, he asked for an upgrade to a king suite. He was told, sorry, we don't have any suites available. As soon as he got to the room, he called me about it. I went to the Marriott.com site and found that king suites were available and the clerk apparently was lying. He called the Platinum Elite line and told them what happened. They put him on hold while they contacted the hotel to see what the problem was. The story had changed by then. Instead of no suites being available, the clerk claimed he didn't have the authority to upgrade a platinum elite. Hmmm, never heard that excuse before. Supposedly he had to call his manager at home and get permission. So in the end hubby did get what he is supposed to be entitled to (an upgrade to the best available room), which is one of the benefits of a platinum elite, but only after complaining.

You should definitely call the platinum elite line with your complaints.

Actually, suites are not included in the room upgrades for elite members.

From the Elite Membership T&Cs:
6.Free Room Upgrade: Suites not included; based on room availability at check-in and limited to a Member's personal guestroom. For Residence Inn and TownePlace Suites, upgrades from studio rooms to 1- or 2-bedrooms are not guaranteed. Not available at Marriott Vacation Club

Many properties do provide suite upgrades, but they are not obligated to do so.

flyboy0681

Reaction score
good morning....

flyboy...
While you were eating the cold pizza, I spent 14 years pushing Beer and Hot Dogs at Yankee and Shea Stadium ( and numerous other venues).

At least you got to see some good ball games.

Let's just call a truce and Happy Holidays.