• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

list of all point programs

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I'd replace "Marriott Vacation Club (MVCI)" with the official name for its points program, "Abound by Marriott Vacations" because "MVCI" generally refers to the Weeks product. The points that can be purchased, which correlate to the intervals that have been conveyed to the underlying Trust, are officially termed, "Club Points." (And they're technically different from the points that can be elected on an annual basis from MVCI and other Weeks which are enrolled in the Abound Exchange system.)

Your "Marriott Vacation Club Asia Pacific" is correct, though, because that's been the official terminology for that limited segment since its introduction as a points product, which was long before the Destination-Club-now-known-as-Abound was introduced.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
My eyes glazed over just thinking about all these. :(

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Hi @TUGBrian ,
I am an active member of TaraNova Vacation Club.

1) It is a member owned Canadian based float weeks system with the head office in the Toronto area.
MF is in USD . For 2023 it is $ 749 after staying at $ 699 for seven years.

2 ) Members can deposit into RCI and receive TPU's
There is also an option to deposit into - HSI - Advantage Program.

3) The Club owns the units and the members own the club. There is a member based board of directors / HOA
I believe it was set up in this format because of the tax implication of Canadians owning USA real estate and residency implications.
Memberships therefore have an end date since they are non deeded.

4) TaraNova owns units in 4 locations / 3 in the USA ( Myrtle Beach- New Hampshire- Tahoe)
The 4th location is in Costa Rica and all units there are owned by Taranova.

Here is a link to the website:
www.taranova.com

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
see, now this is truly where the combined knowledge of the community shines!

note again the goal is to ensure anyone trying to list something on the marketplace has the correct options available to them via a drop down menu (someone cant free form type a resort name or a point system, so we have to include them all).

built in behind the scenes is an ability to link all resorts within a particular system to the point system itself, thus "points ads" will also show up in the classified listing results for those specific resorts as well. so for instance if someone submits a listing for bluegreen points, not only will it show up when searching for just bluegreen points, but also for each of the blugreen resorts as well whereas previously we elected to only allow for a single home resort to be linked to the listing.

still tinkering with this, but the goal is to ensure future listings are displayed to potential buyers/renters in as many places as possible they might search!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'd replace "Marriott Vacation Club (MVCI)" with the official name for its points program, "Abound by Marriott Vacations" because "MVCI" generally refers to the Weeks product. The points that can be purchased, which correlate to the intervals that have been conveyed to the underlying Trust, are officially termed, "Club Points." (And they're technically different from the points that can be elected on an annual basis from MVCI and other Weeks which are enrolled in the Abound Exchange system.)

Your "Marriott Vacation Club Asia Pacific" is correct, though, because that's been the official terminology for that limited segment since its introduction as a points product, which was long before the Destination-Club-now-known-as-Abound was introduced.

thats a tough one for me, as I still see it very commonly referenced as MVCI points (or similar) to reference points and or hybrid packages.

im happy to also include / Abound in the title if folks feel they are one in the same?

but id be afraid the vistana abound folks would be even more confused?

perhaps its needs to be MVCI / Abound and then Vistana / Abound?

(and this is why we hash this out before making major changes!)

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, Hilton The Bay Club, Worldmark
I must confess that this does confuse me. Why don't they just leave it "Hyatt Residence Club"? Or is it the font that's being changed?
LOL, Hyatt Vacation Club. Back to the original name.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
thats a tough one for me, as I still see it very commonly referenced as MVCI points (or similar) to reference points and or hybrid packages.

im happy to also include / Abound in the title if folks feel they are one in the same?

but id be afraid the vistana abound folks would be even more confused?

perhaps its needs to be MVCI / Abound and then Vistana / Abound?

(and this is why we hash this out before making major changes!)
It's very confusing, I agree, and tough to hash out!

It's only when we're talking about existing owned Weeks/Points being enrolled in the Abound Exchange Company that differentials based on the underlying ownership will come into play. This is true for MVCI Weeks, Vistana Weeks/Points, Ritz-Carlton fractional, etc to include any system that affiliates existing ownerships with Abound by Marriott Vacations. But in these cases the annual, voluntary allotments of Club Points are Exchange Points, not Trust Points, and owners of enrolled intervals can't resell Exchange Points - they can only resell the underlying ownership which then becomes ineligible for re-enrollment by the new owner (unless it's allowed as a sales incentive with a new direct purchase.)

But anybody who purchases points in the pure-points system that comes under the Marriott Vacations Worldwide umbrella is purchasing Club Points in the Abound by Marriott Vacations system, regardless of whether they already own in Marriott or Vistana or any other timeshare system. So if you're looking to differentiate among all points-based systems with respect to only the points that can be purchased/resold, then Abound by Marriott Vacations is the official name of the system.

Last edited:

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
@TUGBrian

Not sure why Club Wyndham and Club Wyndham access are two seperate listings.

Also it is officially Holiday Inn Club Vacations.

Embarc is also part of the combined Diamond/HGVC/HVC etc world. Or are you leaving them all as seperate?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
see, now this is truly where the combined knowledge of the community shines!

note again the goal is to ensure anyone trying to list something on the marketplace has the correct options available to them via a drop down menu (someone cant free form type a resort name or a point system, so we have to include them all).

built in behind the scenes is an ability to link all resorts within a particular system to the point system itself, thus "points ads" will also show up in the classified listing results for those specific resorts as well. so for instance if someone submits a listing for bluegreen points, not only will it show up when searching for just bluegreen points, but also for each of the blugreen resorts as well whereas previously we elected to only allow for a single home resort to be linked to the listing.

still tinkering with this, but the goal is to ensure future listings are displayed to potential buyers/renters in as many places as possible they might search!
I think the difference here is between resale listings and rental listings. People aren't likely to list Club Wyndham for sale (unless it was Club Wyndham Access), they would list their actual week for sale. But on the rental side they might list points for rent. The same might be true for RCI points or some of the other point programs. You really need two lists, one for resale listings and the other for rental listings.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents

It's only when we're talking about existing owned Weeks/Points being enrolled in the Abound Exchange Company that differentials based on the underlying ownership will come into play. This is true for MVCI Weeks, Vistana Weeks/Points, Ritz-Carlton fractional, etc to include any system that affiliates existing ownerships with Abound by Marriott Vacations. But in these cases the annual, voluntary allotments of Club Points are Exchange Points, not Trust Points, and owners of enrolled intervals can't resell Exchange Points - they can only resell the underlying ownership which then becomes ineligible for re-enrollment by the new owner (unless it's allowed as a sales incentive with a new direct purchase.)

But anybody who purchases points in the pure-points system that comes under the Marriott Vacations Worldwide umbrella is purchasing Club Points in the Abound by Marriott Vacations system, regardless of whether they already own in Marriott or Vistana or any other timeshare system. So if you're looking to differentiate among all points-based systems with respect to only the points that can be purchased/resold, then Abound by Marriott Vacations is the official name of the system.
Ritz Carlton fractionals are also affiliated with ThirdHome, which is a different points based exchange system. They are eligible for use there as resales. Also, the fractionals I’ve seen for sale at St Thomas indicate that Abound eligibility continues for resales, though i decided against purchasing there now that I can reserve through Abound with my Vistana ownership.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Ritz Carlton fractionals are also affiliated with ThirdHome, which is a different points based exchange system. They are eligible for use there as resales. Also, the fractionals I’ve seen for sale at St Thomas indicate that Abound eligibility continues for resales, though i decided against purchasing there now that I can reserve through Abound with my Vistana ownership.
But I don't think Third Home would be considered a point system for the sake of buy/sell/rent, which is the topic of the thread.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I must confess that this does confuse me. Why don't they just leave it "Hyatt Residence Club"? Or is it the font that's being changed?
I don't know what font they plan to use. I suspect it will all be called Hyatt Vacation Club (both the legacy Welk and Legacy HRC). They will use the same logo with a long term plan to somehow integrate the two different systems to allow for cross bookings.

sponger76

TUG Member
Reaction score
But I don't think Third Home would be considered a point system for the sake of buy/sell/rent, which is the topic of the thread.
I agree; you can't buy "Third Home" points as a stand-alone product; Third Home access is simply a byproduct of buying something else.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
I see a lot of ads here, on Redweek, and on eBay for timeshares that are enrolled in RCI Points or the II equivalent. If the list is going to include points based external exchanges, it’s not different. I wouldn’t take it personally if it were omitted, but a points system is a points system.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I agree; you can't buy "Third Home" points as a stand-alone product; Third Home access is simply a byproduct of buying something else.
Same is true of RCI Points.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Talking to myself now after reading back to the newer posts that I should have read before ...

What @dioxide45 says above about the Wyndham rentals might apply to Marriott as well. Where there is no differentials for points resales among any of the Marriott-umbrella owners of Abound Trust Points, so no need to qualify them as Marriott or Vistana or whatever, the rental market is a whole different kettle of fish. Abound Exchange Points cannot be resold but they can be rented (as can any intervals which an owner books using his/her Exchange Points.) I'm trying to think of why it might be important to differentiate the Exchange Points offered as rentals, though, because any Exchange Points can be used in the Abound Exchange Company to book all available inventory. The only differentials that matter have to do with eligibility for certain reservation windows, cancellation terms, etc, and those are all based on the number of points for which an enrolled member is eligible (not on which system the enrolled member owns in.)

Hmmmm.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
To make things confusing, Hyatt Residence Club is being renamed to Hyatt Residence Club, but it still won't be the same currency as the Hyatt Vacation Club - Welk.

I don't know what font they plan to use. I suspect it will all be called Hyatt Vacation Club (both the legacy Welk and Legacy HRC). They will use the same logo with a long term plan to somehow integrate the two different systems to allow for cross bookings.
I confess to having been teasing you a bit for the typo in your original post, copied above. Sorry

sponger76

TUG Member
Reaction score
Same is true of RCI Points.
But have you ever seen an ad simply selling something as Third Home keys? No. I'd say RCI is somewhat different, because you do see ads posted as being x amount of RCI points for sale.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I confess to having been teasing you a bit for the typo in your original post, copied above. Sorry
Well shoot. I completely missed that! Thank goodness for the 48 hour editing rule on posts....

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
But have you ever seen an ad simply selling something as Third Home keys? No. I'd say RCI is somewhat different, because you do see ads posted as being x amount of RCI points for sale.
No, I don’t see those types of ads. Perhaps because they aren’t possible, which is the point of this thread.

sponger76

TUG Member
Reaction score
Talking to myself now after reading back to the newer posts that I should have read before ...

What @dioxide45 says above about the Wyndham rentals might apply to Marriott as well. Where there is no differentials for points resales among any of the Marriott-umbrella owners of Abound Trust Points, so no need to qualify them as Marriott or Vistana or whatever, the rental market is a whole different kettle of fish. Abound Exchange Points cannot be resold but they can be rented (as can any intervals which an owner books using his/her Exchange Points.) I'm trying to think of why it might be important to differentiate the Exchange Points offered as rentals, though, because any Exchange Points can be used in the Abound Exchange Company to book all available inventory. The only differentials that matter have to do with eligibility for certain reservation windows, cancellation terms, etc, and those are all based on the number of points for which an enrolled member is eligible (not on which system the enrolled member owns in.)

Hmmmm.
Well, you can resell Abound points, if what you have is trust points. And there are differences between Sheraton Flex/Westin Flex/Westin Aventuras. If they are retail purchases, they can all be used as StarOptions for any VSN resort or elected for Abound points. But unless "requalified/retrod" with a developer purchase, resale purchases cannot be used as StarOptions, only at the home resorts, which differ between the three programs, and they also cannot be elected for Abound points.

sponger76

TUG Member
Reaction score
No, I don’t see those types of ads. Perhaps because they aren’t possible, which is the point of this thread.
Third Home is also all high-end, where the underlying property is more important than Third Home by itself. I don't think anyone buys those properties solely for Third Home use. Whereas for RCI, some of those are very much bought with the sole intention of RCI usage and never actually staying at the underlying property.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
ive got hrc and hvc both listed separately.
As @Eric B pointed out my mistake, HRC is going to be going away. It will all just be called HVC (Hyatt Vacation Club). They are still different currencies and the reality is there are now three kinds of Hyatt Vacation Club;
  1. Hyatt Portfolio Program - Trust based program where you own points in a trust (Like Abound, Sheraton Flex, Westin Flex or even Club Wyndham Access)
  2. Hyatt Vacation Club (Legacy Hyatt Residence Club)
  3. Hyatt Vacation Club Platinum Points (Legacy Welk)
The first two are the same points currency, but when you sell #1, you are selling points. When you sell #2 you are selling a week. The same would be true of renting as I think most people who own legacy HRC would just rent their week. #3 is the old Welk points product which I beleive is trust based. But I beleive Welk also sold weeks at certain resorts.