• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Kobe Bryant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
When Michael Jackson died, there was a lot of forced, fake tears and public speeches, largely because that was the cool thing at the time and people couldn’t forget about the allegedly molested children.

For Kobe, I feel the tears are genuine. magic, LeBron, Shaq, Dwayne Wade, doc rivers, Greg popovich, Chris paul, Kylie Irving, Kawhi Leonard, Tim Duncan, Tracy mcgrady, trae young, Jerry west, Carmelo Anthony, Devin Booker, Ja Mormont, Sabrina Ionescu. Those real tears speak to his on-court and off-court legacy.

I saw Jerry West and heard Doc Rivers. That’s two old school guys who have seen a lot. They could barely speak. It was very emotional for them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
Last edited:

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another person said it better, “There is a time and a place for everything.”

Surely, you would agree that kicking someone who just died is a little extreme? Or, would you? As I read your post, I couldn’t help but see something very familiar in it. I reread it several times and it finally dawned on me. It sounded exactly like something I would have said or written not too long ago. I love to argue, especially online, where I can do so pretty much anonymously. Your post sounds very well reasoned, thoughtful, intelligent. That’s exactly what I used to think when my real purpose was to justify saying something ridiculous or even hurtful. It made me feel smart. You know what it didn’t make me? It didn’t make me any friends. It didn’t make me a nice person. And, it really didn’t make me smart because I couldn’t figure any of this out. All I was doing was trying to make excuses for rude, juvenile behavior.

Kobe was in the public eye since the age of 18. We knew, or thought we did, what kind of person he was. We didn’t. He made a terrible decision when he was a young man and the whole world knew about it. He, and his family, lived with it for the rest of his life and now, in their weakest moments, some of us want to make damn sure they continue to live with it.

Would you be willing to tell the whole world the worst thing you’ve ever done and answer for it the rest of your life? And then have your spouse and kids continue to answer for it as soon as you die?

So, sure, you and everyone else is free to say anything you want about Kobe or anyone else who just died. But what you say is a reflection of your character, not his.

Harry, it's best that we shouldn't all think alike but please, don't read something into what I write. I've always believed that there are times when it's better to judge a person by their questions rather
than by their answers.

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Another person said it better, “There is a time and a place for everything.”

Surely, you would agree that kicking someone who just died is a little extreme? Or, would you? As I read your post, I couldn’t help but see something very familiar in it. I reread it several times and it finally dawned on me. It sounded exactly like something I would have said or written not too long ago. I love to argue, especially online, where I can do so pretty much anonymously. Your post sounds very well reasoned, thoughtful, intelligent. That’s exactly what I used to think when my real purpose was to justify saying something ridiculous or even hurtful. It made me feel smart. You know what it didn’t make me? It didn’t make me any friends. It didn’t make me a nice person. And, it really didn’t make me smart because I couldn’t figure any of this out. All I was doing was trying to make excuses for rude, juvenile behavior.

Kobe was in the public eye since the age of 18. We knew, or thought we did, what kind of person he was. We didn’t. He made a terrible decision when he was a young man and the whole world knew about it. He, and his family, lived with it for the rest of his life and now, in their weakest moments, some of us want to make damn sure they continue to live with it.

Would you be willing to tell the whole world the worst thing you’ve ever done and answer for it the rest of your life? And then have your spouse and kids continue to answer for it as soon as you die?

So, sure, you and everyone else is free to say anything you want about Kobe or anyone else who just died. But what you say is a reflection of your character, not his.

Well said. You are a very good writer who happens to have deep insights into human nature. Have you considered writing LTEs or even OpEds if you have the time and inclination? This country...and the world...needs words of wisdom and healing so much!

P.S. And when you get time (sorry, I am going to try to insert levity again)...want to start a TUG fantasy basketball league? I would join!

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harry, it's best that we shouldn't all think alike but please, don't read something into what I write. I've always believed that there are times when it's better to judge a person by their questions rather
than by their answers.

I don’t mean to promote groupthink. I’m very opinionated (in case you couldn’t tell) and I have a hard time biting my tongue when something strikes a nerve.

All I’m really trying to say is be kind to people when they are at their most vulnerable and are hurting. It may be hard for some to understand, but millions of people feel like they knew Kobe and they are hurting. What good does it do to point out his failings to some of those people now? I just don’t understand why we can’t be kind and caring in this moment.

I apologize for going on a rant in my previous post and assuming I know you any more than I knew Kobe.

Last edited:

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
than by their answers.
@Rolltydr to be fair to @WVBaker no one else has ever thought of him as an argumentative, relatively friendless person despite differences. In fact, @WVBaker has defended me from unfair criticisms from said argumentative, relatively friendless person.

Edited after wisdom dispensed from another tugger.

Last edited:

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I really disliked Kobe.

He played for the other team.

This may be the best tribute a sports figure can have.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
[Behavior advice/lecture removed]

Last edited by a moderator:

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don’t mean to promote groupthink. I’m very opinionated (in case you couldn’t tell) and I have a hard time biting my tongue when something strikes a nerve.

All I’m really trying to say is be kind to people when they are at their most vulnerable and are hurting. It may be hard for some to understand, but millions of people feel like they knew Kobe and they are hurting. What good does it do to pint out his failings to some of those people now? I just don’t understand why we can’t be kind and caring in this moment.

I apologize for going on a rant in my previous post and assuming I know you any more than I knew Kobe.

No sweat. You would make a fine Public Defender. :clap:

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
[Behavior advice/lecture removed]
Understood. The point was that although @WVBaker and I disagree about Kobe, he’s not an argumentative, relatively friendless person.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Well said. You are a very good writer who happens to have deep insights into human nature. Have you considered writing LTEs or even OpEds if you have the time and inclination? This country...and the world...needs words of wisdom and healing so much!

P.S. And when you get time (sorry, I am going to try to insert levity again)...want to start a TUG fantasy basketball league? I would join!

Thank you, Carol. I appreciate the kind words. Actually, in my previous (working) life, I was an IT business analyst and writer for a large insurance company and the last few years of my career, I was on a corporate communications team. I much prefer writing my opinions but that background did help me learn how to say what I want to say in a way to, hopefully, make people think and/or influence their thinking. I agree with your sentiment but I am retired and never want to work for anyone ever again so I am content posting here. Hopefully, most of those posts are about timesharing or other fun topics like basketball but I will speak up when something strikes a nerve.

I’ve never gotten into fantasy sports. My DW and I have season tickets for Alabama football, basketball and softball and I watch basketball and football games on TV a lot so I’m not sure I need to get any more invested in sports!

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you, Carol. I appreciate the kind words. Actually, in my previous (working) life, I was an IT business analyst and writer for a large insurance company and the last few years of my career, I was on a corporate communications team. I much prefer writing my opinions but that background did help me learn how to say what I want to say in a way to, hopefully, make people think and/or influence their thinking. I agree with your sentiment but I am retired and never want to work for anyone ever again so I am content posting here. Hopefully, most of those posts are about timesharing or other fun topics like basketball but I will speak up when something strikes a nerve.

I’ve never gotten into fantasy sports. My DW and I have season tickets for Alabama football, basketball and softball and I watch basketball and football games on TV a lot so I’m not sure I need to get any more invested in sports!

Did you see Amari Cooper, Derrick Henry, and Mark Ingram play?

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Did you see Amari Cooper, Derrick Henry, and Mark Ingram play?

Yes, and many others. We’ve had football season tickets since 1990. It was great to see Mark and Derrick have great seasons this year! I thought Mark’s career might be over after being cut by the Saints but he showed he still had some gas in the tank. Derrick is just a beast! How can a man that big be that fast?

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
From a little different perspective:

Gigi Bryant’s Presence Felt Within the UConn Family

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score